Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Fruit Chewy posted:

I just got my Fluance SX6s and a SMSL SA-36A PRO (2x20) amp in today. I hooked it up to my new vizio and it seems to be working decently, but I'm pretty sure I'm hearing clipping even at low to moderate volumes on simple deep dialogue. Do I need to upgrade to the SA-50 or get a 24v power adapter for this thing or something? Or is this really unlikely and my TV output just sucks?

Edit: It might have just been the show rip I was watching that was compressed poorly? I'm not sure. Loud bassy music doesn't clip, so further testing required I guess.

Edit 2: I've experienced dialogue clipping on a couple different shows on Plex (Vizio Plex Client) but I'm not sure about other sources yet. It could be due to the Plex volume boosting options which I usually have up because Plex is always quiet as poo poo.

That's why I tried to get you to buy a better amp. That amp is way underpowered for Fluance SX6's.

The SMSL SA-36A is only rated at 12wpc into 8 ohms. And it's a class D amp, so it's probably more like 8wpc until it starts to distort like mad. It'd be fine if you were using them on a desk, but you're not.

Return it and buy an SMSL SA-60 or SMSL Q5 if you want a remote. Just return it on amazon and say it's defective.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Brain Issues posted:

That's why I tried to get you to buy a better amp. That amp is way underpowered for Fluance SX6's.

The SMSL SA-36A is only rated at 12wpc into 8 ohms. And it's a class D amp, so it's probably more like 8wpc until it starts to distort like mad. It'd be fine if you were using them on a desk, but you're not.

Return it and buy an SMSL SA-60 or SMSL Q5 if you want a remote. Just return it on amazon and say it's defective.

After disabling all of the volume poo poo in Plex I'm not actually hearing any clipping anymore though - even with Rock Band, etc cranked pretty far up. Then again, my ears are definitely not trained for this kind of thing. Is it possible/likely that they're being significantly under-driven at small apartment volumes (loud enough to annoy the neighbors but only the ones in the adjacent room) even if there's no obvious distortion or clipping or anything?

I'm definitely not opposed to swapping out the amp if so, I just want to make sure that I need to.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 31, 2015

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Fruit Chewy posted:

After disabling all of the volume poo poo in Plex I'm not actually hearing any clipping anymore though - even with Rock Band, etc cranked pretty far up. Then again, my ears are definitely not trained for this kind of thing. Is it possible/likely that they're being significantly under-driven at small apartment volumes (loud enough to annoy the neighbors but only the ones in the adjacent room) even if there's no obvious distortion or clipping or anything?

I'm definitely not opposed to swapping out the amp if so, I just want to make sure that I need to.
If you're not hearing distortion at the volume levels you listen at then you're fine.

I would still pay the little bit extra for the Sa-60 for the extra head room, digital volume control, and 2 inputs so you could for example plug your phone/ipod/laptop into it and play music too without having to unplug your TV.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are there any optical spltiters with getting? I prefer using surround for my PS4, but it would obviously be awesome to get it for my Apple TV and flatscreen with Netflix 4K as well.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Machado de Assis posted:

I'm interested in getting a wireless, compact but decent sounding speaker for streaming in my relatively small living room, and don't really intend to expand with other speakers in other rooms. From what I've read a couple pages back and in reviews, a sonos would be Extremely My poo poo, however I unfortunately cannot easily get one where I live (think mercantilist trade barriers) nor a bunch of other options of the same kind, at a reasonable price. The one family of speakers that I could get are the Pure Jongo T2-S3-T4-T6. Anyone have experience with them and know how well they do for the sort of use I had in mind? I'd mostly use it with Spotify, I understand that would involve some extra hoops since Pure wants people to use their streaming service?

I'm planning on getting these and they seem to do international shipping for $20, you could always email them.

http://www.nocs.se/collections/all/products/ns2-air-monitors-v2

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
I want to buy a decent 2.1 or 2.0 setup for my PC to replace my 10 year old Logitech Z4 2.1 speakers.
I'm not up to date with audio equipment, but i noticed these Logitech Z623 200W RMS 2.1 speakers. Does anyone have any experience with those or any suggestions in similar price range?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

HFX posted:

Anyone know that Onkyo's average turn around time is on receiver repairs? I'm having to send my 616 in for the dreaded network chip issue.

A page behind, but mine was like a week and a half. Part of it may be proximity to the repair center, but I think it's Indiana, so it's a bit universal. They have an online tracker too.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Anyone have any experience troubleshooting Yamaha receivers? My Yamaha RX-V577 won't turn on.

I got it brand new yesterday from Amazon. It worked great yesterday. Today I got home from work, and it wouldn't turn on. The standby light and LCD don't turn on. It makes a clicking sound when I press the power button as though something is turning on, but a few moments later it clicks again as though it turned itself off. I looked in the user manual, and none of the troubleshooting suggestions seemed to match my situation. I've already tried unplugging and replugging everything.

Amazon can cross-ship a replacement and have it to me by Monday, so I'm doing that. I'm wondering if there is some way to prevent this happening to my replacement or if I shouldn't have bought a Yamaha or something.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

So I wandered around IYG a little bit, probably not enough, but this seems like the place to ask. I'm looking for a preferably wireless speaker system to put above or next to my bed for watching lovely netflix at night. The built in speakers on my TV aren't half bad, but it's up against a common wall, and I'm trying to be courteous. I know the obvious answer is headphones, but I regularly have lady-friends over and constantly fall asleep with the TV on. This is probably the wrong forum to say this in, but quality isn't a huge concern, I don't think old reruns of 30 Rock and Archer have particularly demanding audio.

I do have easily accessible power, and it's not a big deal if I have to run speaker wire along the wall. It's really more of a white noise late at night situation, where I don't want to have to crank my TV over the fans blowing in this lovely Houston heat.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mulls posted:

I got it brand new yesterday from Amazon. It worked great yesterday. Today I got home from work, and it wouldn't turn on. The standby light and LCD don't turn on. It makes a clicking sound when I press the power button as though something is turning on, but a few moments later it clicks again as though it turned itself off. I looked in the user manual, and none of the troubleshooting suggestions seemed to match my situation. I've already tried unplugging and replugging everything.
Does it turn on with all the speaker wires unplugged? That sounds like a short but a lot of receivers show an error code when that happens. Otherwise it's probably just a bad unit and you need a new one.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Brain Issues posted:

...buy an SMSL SA-60...

Just want to say that I replaced my several year old Pyle PCA1 with one of these (driving the same Sony SS-B1000s as before, as PC speakers through a FiiO E10), and holy poo poo the difference. The Pyle always seemed like it was struggling the whole time.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

qirex posted:

Does it turn on with all the speaker wires unplugged? That sounds like a short but a lot of receivers show an error code when that happens. Otherwise it's probably just a bad unit and you need a new one.

Even with all peripherals unplugged it doesn't work. I'm guessing it's just a bum model. Thanks for the suggestion to try that, though.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
I'm looking to buy a receiver to drive 5.1 built-in speakers in my new house. thewirecutter recommended this Onkyo, but it seems out of date.

My friend (who's an audiophile, but not the crazy kind) instead recommended this Yamaha which is the upgraded version from the wirecutter article.

I then noticed from another thread that I could get the 379 for only 70% the cost of the 479.

So my questions.
1) Is the Yahama a better choice given I'll probably never use 7.x?
2) Am I crazy to try to save $120 and give up Wi-Fi?
3) Is there something else that I should buy if I'm looking for a best-bang-for-the-buck buy that I won't be replacing post-haste?

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

I'm buying a new TV and want to beat the built-in speakers. Really simple, I know. Extremely simple setup: a DirecTV receiver and a few video game consoles are all that get hooked up. My use case is video games, football, some television and movies. Don't care about music, and I'm the exact opposite of an audiophile.

Due to the gaming stuff I want a remote-controllable 5.1 system. I'd also like all my HDMI cables to run through the audio system then into the TV so I can connect more things. Price about ~$500 - does what I want exist? Is "system in a box" bullshit recommended for this use case?

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Chakron posted:

I'm buying a new TV and want to beat the built-in speakers. Really simple, I know. Extremely simple setup: a DirecTV receiver and a few video game consoles are all that get hooked up. My use case is video games, football, some television and movies. Don't care about music, and I'm the exact opposite of an audiophile.

Due to the gaming stuff I want a remote-controllable 5.1 system. I'd also like all my HDMI cables to run through the audio system then into the TV so I can connect more things. Price about ~$500 - does what I want exist? Is "system in a box" bullshit recommended for this use case?

You would probably be better served getting a 2.1 setup in that price range. You can get a receiver for around $250 or less, some pioneer bookshelf speakers for around $120 and a budget 10-12" sub. From there you're in a good position to upgrade to 5.1 in the future and you'll have much better components than any home theater in a box. Don't forget decent copper speaker wire ($15 or so), a sub cable ($10) and speaker stands if needed.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Peanut3141 posted:

I'm looking to buy a receiver to drive 5.1 built-in speakers in my new house. thewirecutter recommended this Onkyo, but it seems out of date.

My friend (who's an audiophile, but not the crazy kind) instead recommended this Yamaha which is the upgraded version from the wirecutter article.

I then noticed from another thread that I could get the 379 for only 70% the cost of the 479.

So my questions.
1) Is the Yahama a better choice given I'll probably never use 7.x?
3) Is there something else that I should buy if I'm looking for a best-bang-for-the-buck buy that I won't be replacing post-haste?

Amazon has the prior generation on close out right now, so the old-generation higher-end Yamaha 577 is available for $50 cheaper than the newer 479. IIRC, the 4xx series won't route component or composite video devices out of the HDMI output to your TV, so you would need to have two outputs from the receiver for any of your legacy consoles, which made me want to go with the 577 instead of the 479.

Also my 577 failed the second day I had it, but Amazon cross-shipped me a replacement with no problem.

edit: it looks like Amazon doesn't have any 577s at the $350 price anymore. Sorry.

mulls fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 10, 2015

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

theradiostillsucks posted:

You would probably be better served getting a 2.1 setup in that price range. You can get a receiver for around $250 or less, some pioneer bookshelf speakers for around $120 and a budget 10-12" sub. From there you're in a good position to upgrade to 5.1 in the future and you'll have much better components than any home theater in a box. Don't forget decent copper speaker wire ($15 or so), a sub cable ($10) and speaker stands if needed.

Thanks. In that case, I'm probably looking for something like this:

Receiver - http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR33...ts=p_89%3AOnkyo
Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS...=p_89%3APioneer
Sub - http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10...er+home+theater

I've heard good things about Onkyo so the receiver looks fine, but I might want to drop down to an earlier version (don't care about Bluetooth stuff - not sure). Bookshelf speakers seem fine. Not sure on the sub, but appears 10 inches and budgety. Those plus the copper wire, sub cable, and speaker stands. Any minor improvements or things I should know about or should that be good enough to get me going?

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

mulls posted:

Amazon has the prior generation on close out right now, so the old-generation higher-end Yamaha 577 is available for $50 cheaper than the newer 479. IIRC, the 4xx series won't route component or composite video devices out of the HDMI output to your TV, so you would need to have two outputs from the receiver for any of your legacy consoles, which made me want to go with the 577 instead of the 479.

Also my 577 failed the second day I had it, but Amazon cross-shipped me a replacement with no problem.

edit: it looks like Amazon doesn't have any 577s at the $350 price anymore. Sorry.

Thanks for the information and tip on the 577.

I don't think I'll be using any legacy consoles, as the oldest I've got is a PS3. I'm an AV noob, but it sounds like you're saying the 5xx series will accept component/composite input and convert it to HDMI video to send to the TV while routing the audio to the speakers. I don't believe that's something I'll need. I'm guessing the alternative on the 4xx is component out of the AVR to the TV, giving both HDMI and component connections to the TV from the AVR, with the signal only being sent on the type matching the input.

Assuming the 577 doesn't come back into stock and my lack of need to support legacy consoles, is the 479 a solid choice? It looks like the 677 is still in stock for the same $400 as the 479. I'm having trouble finding comprehensive feature lists to compare what I'd be trading off between the two.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 11, 2015

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Chakron posted:

Thanks. In that case, I'm probably looking for something like this:

Receiver - http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR33...ts=p_89%3AOnkyo
Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS...=p_89%3APioneer
Sub - http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10...er+home+theater

I've heard good things about Onkyo so the receiver looks fine, but I might want to drop down to an earlier version (don't care about Bluetooth stuff - not sure). Bookshelf speakers seem fine. Not sure on the sub, but appears 10 inches and budgety. Those plus the copper wire, sub cable, and speaker stands. Any minor improvements or things I should know about or should that be good enough to get me going?

There's a user on Reddit who is much better at recommendations than I am. He runs a subreddit with lots of good info and recommendations: reddit.com/r/zeos. I've had decent luck with Onkyo personally but they've been plagued with hdmi issues in the past few years so many seem to avoid them, though their features to price point ratio is hard to beat. I have the previous version of those Pioneers and they're pretty much the de facto bookshelf speaker recommendation, especially if you're just starting out.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

theradiostillsucks posted:

There's a user on Reddit who is much better at recommendations than I am. He runs a subreddit with lots of good info and recommendations: reddit.com/r/zeos. I've had decent luck with Onkyo personally but they've been plagued with hdmi issues in the past few years so many seem to avoid them, though their features to price point ratio is hard to beat. I have the previous version of those Pioneers and they're pretty much the de facto bookshelf speaker recommendation, especially if you're just starting out.

I sent a message to Zeos, thanks again.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I've been rocking the budget Fluance SX6 + SMSL SA-36 setup for a couple weeks now. Against all advice and my own common sense, I didn't bump up the amp to the 50 or 60 because I'm a poor.

Recently I've started to get the feeling that it's getting a bit muted in the lower frequencies at moderate volume, slight ducking, etc. Now I know I'm dumb and the amp is underpowered and such, but since I don't have the box to return it anyway, I was wondering how much mileage I could get out of getting a beefier power supply. I'm avoiding upgrading the amp because I want to get a 5.1 receiver and all of the matching Fluance surround junk in a few months.

It came with a 12v 4.5a or something like that but it supposedly supports up to a 24v. Now the question is, where the hell do I get a 20/22/24v (4.5a?) power supply with the right barrel tip? All of my searching has led me down into replacement laptop charger hell and I'm just not super clear on what to get.

Edit: This one maybe?

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 16, 2015

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Peanut3141 posted:

I'm looking to buy a receiver to drive 5.1 built-in speakers in my new house.

For slightly less than $400 you can get wild and have this beauty: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EXTVPOE?psc=1

It has pretty much every basic feature I can think of except legacy connections. I've had a couple Denons and been very satisfied with them in general. Do note that you may need to update the firmware to prevent freezes.

The little brother isn't bad either, especially if you don't need analog upconversion: http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-S700W-7-2-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00JRTMOGS/ref=sr_1_8?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1439728618&sr=1-8

quote:

How hard do you want to control the receiver with an app?

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 16, 2015

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

A4L has Denon receivers for a lot cheaper.

S900W: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs900w/denon-avr-s900w-7.2-4k-ultra-hd-receiver-bluetooth/wi-fi/1.html

I'm probably going to go with the E400 whenever I get around to ordering my speaker system:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavre400/denon-avr-e400-7.1-4k-3d-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

For slightly less than $400 you can get wild and have this beauty: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EXTVPOE?psc=1

It has pretty much every basic feature I can think of except legacy connections. I've had a couple Denons and been very satisfied with them in general. Do note that you may need to update the firmware to prevent freezes.

The little brother isn't bad either, especially if you don't need analog upconversion: http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-S700W-7-2-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00JRTMOGS/ref=sr_1_8?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1439728618&sr=1-8

Thank you! This was just the sort of "Hey look over here, there's a much better deal" that I was looking for. A few more questions if you're willing:
1) It has component along with the boatload of HDMI. What connections are you referring to it lacking, composite & USB?
2) I presume that updating the firmware is as simple as downloading the image over the WiFi?

Hob_Gadling posted:

How hard do you want to control the receiver with an app?

I was thinking I didn't want it bad enough to spend an extra $120, but then again some people don't think they want an SSD for OS/apps. They're very, very wrong and don't realize it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Peanut3141 posted:

Thank you! This was just the sort of "Hey look over here, there's a much better deal" that I was looking for. A few more questions if you're willing:
1) It has component along with the boatload of HDMI. What connections are you referring to it lacking, composite & USB?
2) I presume that updating the firmware is as simple as downloading the image over the WiFi?

I was thinking I didn't want it bad enough to spend an extra $120, but then again some people don't think they want an SSD for OS/apps. They're very, very wrong and don't realize it.

It has composite. It just doesn't have S-Video or SCART. Not that most people need them.

Also, get it from here.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs900w/denon-avr-s900w-7.2-4k-ultra-hd-receiver-bluetooth/wi-fi/1.html

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Peanut3141 posted:

Some of the really old ones that KillHour mentioned.

quote:

Use USB stick or wired connection to be safe, but yes.

Denons own app kinda sucks. I use it for Internet radio occasionally. I imagine it would be more useful if I had zone 2/3 set up or streamed stuff from NAS.

And yes, get your receiver from Accessories4less if at all possible.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Hob_Gadling posted:

Denons own app kinda sucks. I use it for Internet radio occasionally. I imagine it would be more useful if I had zone 2/3 set up or streamed stuff from NAS.

Denon's app works, but doesn't take advantage of any aspects of an app.

This one is pretty good, but tries to do too much:
https://appsto.re/us/uZg-t.i

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just picked up a Yamaha V479 from Best Buy for $350, which, surprisingly, was $50 cheaper than Amazon. I was originally looking for a 577, but saw this one had AirPlay, HDCP 2.2, wifi, etc and figured what the gently caress. I only need 5.1 so I'm looking forward to making my 10-year old hooking it up for me tomorrow.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I just saw this CL posting for a Yamaha V465 and a set of 5.1 (HTIB maybe?) speakers. I'm currently rocking Fluance SX6s with a small amp hooked straight to my TV. Would it be a good deal to snag that for the receiver plus maybe the sub and rears? I definitely don't need 4K support or anything. Doing a bit of research it seems like the only gripes with the receiver back in its day (2009 lmao) were the lack of analog-HDMI upconversion and the lovely terminals for center/surrounds.

Is this thing worth using at the price? Or at least worth using for 6 months until I buy a new Denon or something?

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 17, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok so I'm trying to hook my old (passive, I believe) Yamaha SW-P3600 BL subwoofer up to my new Yamaha V479 receiver. I'm not too savvy when it comes to audio systems, but from what I can google, this subwoofer needs an amp, which the new receiver does not have a built-in one. My old receiver, a Yamaha HTR-5835 (part of a home theatre in a box set), has a built-in amp, hence the dilemma.

I think my options are:
1. Buy a new powered subwoofer.
2. Buy an amp for my existing subwoofer.
3. Frankenstein my setup and use my old receiver as a sub amp somehow. V479 sub pre-out --> 5835 sub input --> 5835 sub output --> sub. Would this actually work?

Which option is more reasonable? Buying an amp for the subwoofer seems to me the cheapest of the first 2. I don't know if I really want to have 2 receivers hooked up at the same time if #3 is even possible.

Any amp recommendations for #2?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 18, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've done #3 with the sub/amp from a PC 2.1 setup before and it worked out. Well except for the subwoofer being a POS. But functionally everything was fine. You might have the cables to do it right now.

#1 is probably the best option sound quality wise (I'm assuming the HTIB sub isn't that great) but it will cost $200-400
#2 will be something like $40-$130. The lower cost 'subwoofer amplifiers' are all plate amplifiers that install into the subwoofer itself. A sub amp has a crossover built in, but your receiver should handle that part, so you can likely use a normal amp.

What is your budget?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Honestly I don't know. It doesn't have to be a super high-end amp/sub. Let's say a couple hundred? Cheaper is better though as long as it isn't poo poo. The sub I have was just fine when I had it paired with my old receiver, so I think I'd just prefer to get an amp. I lived in a condo with shared-wall neighbors before so I had my sub set to the absolute minimum, but I just moved into a house where it isn't as big of an issue.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Maybe something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-APA150-150-Watts-Amplifier/dp/B000VKXLBO/

I can't really recommend anything in particular, I'm not familiar with any of these.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
New subwoofer is by far the best option. It's the most reliable choice and will sound the best. Polk 10" sub goes for $129.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10...er+home+theater

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 18, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

New subwoofer is by far the best option. It's the most reliable choice and will sound the best. Polk 10" sub goes for $129.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10...er+home+theater

Sold. Found it at my local Fry's for the same price as Amazon. Cheers!

e: My subwoofer pre-out is a single RCA connection on my receiver, but it looks like the PSW10 has double RCA inputs. Seems I need a male-to-male Y-splitter RCA cable. Can I just use any regular old RCA cable I have laying around? I've seen Amazon reviews and poo poo say that I need more shielding for low frequencies that regular RCA cables don't provide. Any truth to this, or can I save a few bucks and use one of the 4000 RCA cables I already have in addition to a Y-splitter at the end?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 18, 2015

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sold. Found it at my local Fry's for the same price as Amazon. Cheers!

e: My subwoofer pre-out is a single RCA connection on my receiver, but it looks like the PSW10 has double RCA inputs. Seems I need a male-to-male Y-splitter RCA cable. Can I just use any regular old RCA cable I have laying around? I've seen Amazon reviews and poo poo say that I need more shielding for low frequencies that regular RCA cables don't provide. Any truth to this, or can I save a few bucks and use one of the 4000 RCA cables I already have in addition to a Y-splitter at the end?

In most cases (anything except a dual voice coil sub) you should be able to just plug it into one channel. Usually left I think? Sometimes labelled LFE.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fruit Chewy posted:

In most cases (anything except a dual voice coil sub) you should be able to just plug it into one channel. Usually left I think? Sometimes labelled LFE.

All active subs with a single driver and stereo RCA inputs simply sum both channels into one mono channel before sending that to the amp, so you can plug it into either.

You can use a Y-splitter if you want to, but it'll just double the line level so you won't have to turn volume knob on the sub up quite as far to get the same sound level. It's only really useful if the output from your receiver is very low for some reason.

You don't want to feed the left/right channels to the two different coils on a dual-coil subwoofer driver, you'll get weird effects where the signal from once channel works against the signal from the other channel, which will cause distortion. Let's say you have a subwoofer driver with two 4-ohm voice coils. You can wire them in parallel to get a 2-ohm load, or in series to get an 8-ohm load. Then you can wire two series-wired drivers in parallel to get a collective 4-ohm load again. It's simply for flexibility.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 18, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Makes sense. Thanks for all the info, everyone!

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Can anyone recommend a decent preamp to place between my turntable and my A/V receiver? The amp I'm using is pretty noisy and lovely and was $15 when I got it 7 years ago.

Ideally less than $60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use one of these. Seems okay.