Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
The easiest way I've found to shuffle music is just to ask Siri: "Siri, shuffle all songs in My Music." You can also do it by artist so it's pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Minidust posted:

Does anyone have experience with different CarPlay-enabled head units? I'm wondering how much the user experience varies across devices in different price ranges. Or if it's more the type of thing where, if the unit supports it, the CarPlay performance is basically the same. If the latter is the case, I'll only have to think about display size and touchscreen quality (I've noticed there are a couple of capacitive units out there).

I imagine performance is pretty much the same across units since it's not really doing much other than sending buttons presses to your iPhone. Performance in the non-CarPlay part might vary, though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

robodex posted:

The easiest way I've found to shuffle music is just to ask Siri: "Siri, shuffle all songs in My Music." You can also do it by artist so it's pretty neat.

Also just shaking it when the music app is open.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My Airport Extreme of 4 years is dying. Short story is the wireless networks keep disappearing (it is like they stop broadcasting), and it takes a reboot to get them working again. So my question is should I get a new Airport Extreme or should try a so-called better router like the Nighthawk for the same price? In the past I've had bad luck with AirPlay (iPhone or MacBook to Apple TV) and non-Apple routers, but that was years ago. What has been the experience of others with AirPlay and non-Apple routers?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't know but I bought the newest Extreme last year (my first Apple router) and I'm super pleased with the results.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

My Airport Extreme of 4 years is dying. Short story is the wireless networks keep disappearing (it is like they stop broadcasting), and it takes a reboot to get them working again. So my question is should I get a new Airport Extreme or should try a so-called better router like the Nighthawk for the same price? In the past I've had bad luck with AirPlay (iPhone or MacBook to Apple TV) and non-Apple routers, but that was years ago. What has been the experience of others with AirPlay and non-Apple routers?

I bought one of those "better" routers a few years ago and it's great. Just buy one around $150-$200 and it sounds like (based on Wirecutter reviews) you'll have good, comparable results to Apple's Airport Extreme.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Minidust posted:

Does anyone have experience with different CarPlay-enabled head units? I'm wondering how much the user experience varies across devices in different price ranges. Or if it's more the type of thing where, if the unit supports it, the CarPlay performance is basically the same. If the latter is the case, I'll only have to think about display size and touchscreen quality (I've noticed there are a couple of capacitive units out there).

I just installed a Pioneer AppRadio 4 in my car and it's great and I think the cheapest way to get CarPlay on an aftermarket head unit. It's got a multitouch screen too. I got mine for about $400 on Amazon.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

GutBomb posted:

I just installed a Pioneer AppRadio 4 in my car and it's great and I think the cheapest way to get CarPlay on an aftermarket head unit. It's got a multitouch screen too. I got mine for about $400 on Amazon.
Cool, that was one of the main units I've had my eye on. One thing I haven't been able to find out anywhere - can music from the second (non-iPhone) USB source be accessed and played directly through the CarPlay interface? I know that an iPod Classic, for example, could be hooked up to the second USB, but I'm not sure if CarPlay can access that directly, or if you need to return to the Pioneer interface first.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You have to go to the pioneer interface, however it multitasks.

The CarPlay interface is just another app that is running on it really. The Pandora app is a Pioneer app, so you can run that, then switch to CarPlay and use maps and the audio from Pandora still plays even though the app isn't active on the screen. Note: I've only done this with one device at a time (my phone using pandora and apple maps) and it all just works, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a second device.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I have Pioneer AVIC-8100 NEX that I also got from amazon for $400. It works pretty well and I imagine it's the same experience on the other radios like the cheap Alpine carplay only one. Mine also has a capacitive screen and it responds very well. Highly recommend if you can get a good deal on it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

nate fisher posted:

Not sure if it changes the equation for you at all, but the AirPort Extreme is $130 on the refurb store:
http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_accessories

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GutBomb posted:

I gently set my iPhone 6 Plus face down on the garage floor today to act as a light as I was working under my car. It's in one of the Apple branded rubberized cases. When i picked it up afterwards I noticed a bad scratch on the white bezel above the screen. Oh well. I guess I deserved that, setting my phone face down on a garage floor. Even though the case sticks out a little bit in the front I guess it wasn't enough. But then I made a phone call about an hour later, and while I was on the phone I heard a crack sound. Looked at the glass and sure enough, a crack appeared perpendicular to the scratch going right through the middle of it. It still manages to avoid the actual screen area. Is the glass so weak that a scratch is going to weaken the glass enough to crack, or is this just a coincidence. Has anyone else experienced any "spontaneous" cracks?

note, the peeling case is unrelated, it just tends to peel on the corners and edges.

Michael Scott posted:

This is really weird. I would talk to Apple. What's your warranty situation?

Endless Mike posted:

It's a 6+ so it's under warranty.

WetSpink posted:

In my experience spontaneous cracks can be from battery heat, possible if you used light for a long time maybe. Moms iPad just cracked with no trauma at all from battery heat, cracked bottom left though but iPad guts might look different.

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I had a similar looking crack on my 6+ and it was covered under warranty.

In case anyone cares, I took it to the Apple store last night and they swapped out the phone no questions asked and when they saw my case was peeling they just gave me a new case too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GutBomb posted:

In case anyone cares, I took it to the Apple store last night and they swapped out the phone no questions asked and when they saw my case was peeling they just gave me a new case too.
Do you have just the normal warranty or AppleCare Plus?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Josh Lyman posted:

Do you have just the normal warranty or AppleCare Plus?

Regular warranty. They asked what brought me in,i pointed at the crack and she said "oh that's a hairline crack, that's covered at no cost to you"

Then she said to come back in an hour and pick up my repaired phone. When I got back they said they had some trouble with the repair so just went ahead and swapped over to a new (I'm assuming refurbished) phone and surprised me with a new non peeling case.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 6, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Glut" is a really weird autocorrect or are the forums filtering words for fun again?

Hour hour
Came came
Went went

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm gonna purposefully gently caress up my phone so I can try and get the geniuses to give me a new case.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Endless Mike posted:

"Glut" is a really weird autocorrect or are the forums filtering words for fun again?

Hour hour
Came came
Went went

Swype. And a lack of proofreading.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

I'm gonna purposefully gently caress up my phone so I can try and get the geniuses to give me a new case.
When I took my 5s in for...something I forget. Screen problem maybe? Anyway, when they buttoned it back up, the digitizer wasn't working, so they gave me a refurb replacement and a free case for my time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Endless Mike posted:

Glut glut
Glut glut
Glut glut

Something fishy going on here

noirstronaut posted:

If your case just wore out on its own, you can probably just go get it replaced for free, those have a 1-year warranty too.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I went in a few weeks ago and the guy there took a glance and told me it was just "normal wear and tear"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iOS 9 Public Beta 3 and Developer Beta 5 are available OTA adding nonfunctional Wifi calling for AT&T customers and new wallpapers!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

iOS 9 Public Beta 3 and Developer Beta 5 are available OTA adding nonfunctional Wifi calling for AT&T customers and new wallpapers!

Also an iCloud Drive app :woop:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Endless Mike posted:

Is the Bluetooth fixed? I downgraded to 8.4 because it annoyed me so much in Public Beta 2 :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't had any trouble with Bluetooth at all so :shrug:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Apparently there's a new feature to automatically switch to cellular when Wi-Fi connectivity is weak. I hope it works well, that is easily my biggest iOS pet peeve.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

robodex posted:

Also an iCloud Drive app :woop:

It's been there for a bit.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So I pushed my phone to the new beta today and wow .. I have to say they really polished this from iOS 8. It seems to have much better memory management, I have not had apps reloading all over the place and stuff is just much more smooth.

I was considering switching to a new android handset I bought but .. with my issues worked out so far I don't want to go back.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

illcendiary posted:

Apparently there's a new feature to automatically switch to cellular when Wi-Fi connectivity is weak. I hope it works well, that is easily my biggest iOS pet peeve.

This feature has been in the betas in years before and not made it out, hope it makes it this time!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

It's been there for a bit.

Yeah I'm reading that, although it actually prompted me to add it after updating :shrug:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Now I need to find out how to get this beta. I get no service at all where I sit in my office.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GutBomb posted:

Regular warranty. They asked what brought me in,i pointed at the crack and she said "oh that's a hairline crack, that's covered at no cost to you"

Then she said to come back in an hour and pick up my repaired phone. When I got back they said they had some trouble with the repair so just went ahead and swapped over to a new (I'm assuming refurbished) phone and surprised me with a new non peeling case.
Okay, that makes more sense. Unit swaps are generally only available to AppleCare Plus people, but yeah, if they screwed up your phone during a repair, they'll swap out your unit.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

IUG posted:

Now I need to find out how to get this beta. I get no service at all where I sit in my office.

Beta.apple.com

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

New beta totally breaks Swype.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Xabi posted:

What, how can I shuffle songs in the music app now? I can only find shuffling within an album, not the entire library.

Hey, there's actually a button for this in the newest version.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you're looking at a single album then there should be a shuffle button above the tracklist. If you want to shuffle every song then go under "my music", put it in "songs" mode, play a song, then hit the shuffle button on on the control screen. You can't shuffle an artist if they have more than two albums and you can't shuffle a genre. The workaround is to make a playlist for the artist or the genre and then shuffle that.

Basically the message is to stop keeping your own music library and subscribe to Apple Music instead.

withak fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 7, 2015

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
That message works well enough for me. I'm a match subscriber whose main computer died and took all my music with it. I'm terrified to find out what happens if I redownload it and cancel match.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Selane posted:

Hey, there's actually a button for this in the newest version.
Great. I've stopped using the Music app for this reason only.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

TheJoker138 posted:

New beta totally breaks Swype.

Indeed it does. I was able to get it working for a few minutes then it stopped showing up. Plex does not work with it either. It was a nice view of what iOS 9 will be, enough to get me to hold on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Consummate Professional posted:

That message works well enough for me. I'm a match subscriber whose main computer died and took all my music with it. I'm terrified to find out what happens if I redownload it and cancel match.
You will end up with a bunch of DRM-free 256kbps AAC songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is there a really good car mount or are they all the same quality?