Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Deadpool, at its heart, is about an emotionally disturbed, sociopathic killer who uses comedy for levity and to subvert a lot of tired comic tropes (hence the fourth wall breaking, which was really novel when he started doing it). He was always best when written as an incurably insane guy whose use of humor almost seemed kind of pathetic, but still made the character likeable 'cause it was so irreverent and self-effacing. Somewhere along the way this turned into badass ninja lolrandom meme-monster, and I guess there was no real avoiding it. I think where the trailer goes wrong for me is that you should never play him up as being the coolest dude in the room, he's the guy that everyone else in the room loving hates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I've never read a comic and the trailer kind of turns me off but I thought from that horrible Wolverine movie that he was literally formed from a pool of dead mutant juice or something. Was that completely made up for that movie?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Electromax posted:

I've never read a comic and the trailer kind of turns me off but I thought from that horrible Wolverine movie that he was literally formed from a pool of dead mutant juice or something. Was that completely made up for that movie?

For some reason they tried to contextualize the name in a really hamfisted way, yeah. The only reason he is named Deadpool is because he was a Rob Liefeld character and that presumably sounded very cool to him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They gave it a bit of a backstory after the Liefeld issues where he was one of many terminal patients that Weapon X attempted to give Wolverine healing abilities to, and the staff had a "Dead pool" going to see who would last the longest. Wade won and the name stuck. Doesn't look like they're doing that for this movie which is kind-of puzzling, but whatever it's Fox.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

PaganGoatPants posted:

Not sure why people will think is terrible when this is the exact Deadpool movie people have been asking for.

Remember Snakes on a Plane? The internet wants terrible retard movies.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Tormented posted:

Remember Snakes on a Plane? The internet wants terrible retard movies.

Yes, but as evidenced from Snakes on a Plane, they're not willing to pay for them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This is Catwoman levels of bad, sheesh.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Snakes on a Plane is a compelling idea and could have been good. The straightforward premise, the blunt title, and the casting of Sam Jackson all got people interested.

Turns out that people want an actual good movie though and the film is inept.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

FCKGW posted:

This is Catwoman levels of bad, sheesh.

I take it you haven't watched Catwoman in a while. That movie is in a class of it's own.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Snakes on a Plane is a compelling idea and could have been good. The straightforward premise, the blunt title, and the casting of Sam Jackson all got people interested.

Yeah, Snakes on a Plane was popular at the time it came out but had absolutely no cultural staying power whatsoever.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I thought the story was that it was popular right up until it came out, and then nobody went to see it, but I don't know if it legit underperformed.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I've never even heard of Deadpool before, but everything about that trailer looks really dated. A quippy cool superhero; Ryan Reynolds as a leading man; DMX; obviously filming in Vancouver. It's like we're in the mid-2000s again.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I thought the story was that it was popular right up until it came out, and then nobody went to see it, but I don't know if it legit underperformed.

It legit underperformed, at 15 million opening weekend, and it was not liked. It got a B- Cinemascore. People didn't like the movie. They were *very* intrigued and engaged with the concept before opening, but once the film was out and known to be bland it was doomed.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

MeinPanzer posted:

I've never even heard of Deadpool before, but everything about that trailer looks really dated. A quippy cool superhero; Ryan Reynolds as a leading man; DMX; obviously filming in Vancouver. It's like we're in the mid-2000s again.

You can tell its a modern movie because Ed Skrien and his ridiculously punchable face are in it.

(I agree otherwise, though. Rosie O'Donell joke? What?)

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Snakes on a Plane got meme'd before it even came out. If it had been a purposeful trainwreck like Sharknado or something maybe it could have had some influence, but it just ended up being a boring slog. I feel like it didn't go far enough down the syfy original rabbit hole of insanity to justify itself.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Wandle Cax posted:

If you've seen Green Lantern, the suit is bad looking CG.

Yeah, but to call something within the movie 'animated' doesn't make much sense. Even if you're making 4th wall breaking jokes, "don't make it CG" would seem more sensical. I'm feeling like a dick typing this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's pedantic semantics

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Maybe he was going deep and making a reference to the animated superman suit in the doomed Nic Cage/Tim Burton movie?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

MeinPanzer posted:

Exactly how I felt

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
It's 2015, so why is Ryan Reynolds still being cast in leading roles? It just doesn't work.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jack's Flow posted:

It's 2015, so why is Ryan Reynolds still being cast in leading roles? It just doesn't work.

Ryan Reynolds is one reason the Deadpool movie is even happening.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I will say that Reynolds' Deadpool voice is pretty drat close to what I imagined Deadpool's voice would sound like - high-pitched, a bit dorky, kinda like an ADHD kid.
and the costume is the most comic accurate costume ever.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Ryan Reynolds has never been the issue in movies for me. Like, Green lantern? Reynolds was not the big problem in that movie..

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Ryan Reynolds has never been the issue in movies for me. Like, Green lantern? Reynolds was not the big problem in that movie..

On that same token he's never been the appeal either

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, but to call something within the movie 'animated' doesn't make much sense. Even if you're making 4th wall breaking jokes, "don't make it CG" would seem more sensical. I'm feeling like a dick typing this.

They were probably worried "CG" wouldn't parse with most people. "See gee?" Rather than leaving the joke out entirely, they arrived at the sad compromise of "animated".

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Trailer for Roland Emmerich's Stonewall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNXkJMXPBGc

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

bows1 posted:

Trailer for Roland Emmerich's Stonewall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNXkJMXPBGc

This looks good and also like the exact opposite of anything Emmerich's ever done.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

This looks good and also like the exact opposite of anything Emmerich's ever done.
It must have pained him to not include a giant tidal wave crashing through that initial shot of the street from high up.

e: Reading the comments, the movie is apparently whitewashing the poo poo out of real story, so he really should have just made a disaster movie where the disaster is gay liberation, turning a drab and gray city into a fabulous rainbow colored one.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 6, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

On that same token he's never been the appeal either

Blade: Trinity.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

kiimo posted:

Blade: Trinity.

Hahaha

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

A Buttery Pastry posted:

e: Reading the comments, the movie is apparently whitewashing the poo poo out of real story, so he really should have just made a disaster movie where the disaster is gay liberation, turning a drab and gray city into a fabulous rainbow colored one.

Yeah, people are (rightfully) pretty pissed off that the real Stonewall riots were started by trans women of colour and drag queens, and now in the movie it's some milquetoast white dude.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He is genuinely one of the very few things in that movie that is actually decent.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
VIN DIESEL just being himself in THE LAST WITCH HUNTER (Elijah Wood, Michael Caine, Rose Leslie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsuG2JUgs_8

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
That looks dumb as hell, and I'd never usually see a movie like that, but I kinda want to see it.

Vin Diesel aggressively not acting is compellingly hilarious.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'll watch it if it's anything like Riddick or XXX.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

God it's really weird seeing Vin Diesel with hair.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

God it's really weird seeing Vin Diesel with hair.

What planet?!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I love Diesel immediately using his cache to get deep-nerd crap no one wants to see funded every time he has it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Good then remake Enemy Mine with, I don't know, Charlie Hunnam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kiimo posted:

I never read the Fantastic Four comic books, so excuse me if this sounds naiive but is it just me or is that whole series just plain old bad? I watched the first one and it sucked and this one looks ten times worse. I'm kind of thinking the only good thing to come out of FF is a couple episodes of Venture Bros.

Quoting myself because this POS is running in at 9% on the tomato meter so I'm happy to say I haven't completely lost the ability to discern garbage yet.

edit: sorry for the double post.

• Locked thread