Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Donald Trump
Jeb Bush
Scott Walker
Mike Huckabee
Ben Carson
Ted Cruz
Marco Rubio
Rand Paul
Chris Christie
John Kasich
View Results

• Locked thread
Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Tricky D posted:

"Why are we participating in a multinational arms limitation deal when we could be invading them instead?" - Every single one of them

they are aching to murder the poor of America
thats their economic strategy

they are the cops of Ferguson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Idiot Kicker posted:

The common Iranian citizen isn't even radical, right? I have been under the assumption that it is governmental posturing between us and not actual person-to-person hatred.
I'm changing my wrestling comparisons: Bernie is more of an Austin, so Trump can be Heel Jericho, complete with light-up jacket.

I can't find anything terribly recent but from what I recall Iranians have a much higher opinion of the United States (not of its government) than anywhere else in the Middle East.

It's almost like a country of 78 million people has a wide diversity of opinion!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Mister Macys posted:

Ted was actually willing to work with the IRS (Irwin R. Schyster).

I guess that makes him Virgil.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
From watching the debate, Trump honestly didn't impress me very much. The moderation was obviously gunning for him right at the beginning and he did a good job with his traditional Double-Down Defense, but the debate was overall pretty controlled and nobody other than Rand Paul was dumb enough to try attacking him directly, so we didn't get to see him go all lion in the chickencoop on stage and he didn't bring a whole lot of new material. It definitely wasn't a campaign ender, but I don't think he had the best performance.

Kasich seemed like the most decent of the lot, while Huckabee was the easiest to call bullshit on and Carson and Cruz were pretty nutty. Rubio seems like he could be frighteningly appealing outside the traditional demographics if he makes it out of the primaries.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

James Garfield posted:

I can't find anything terribly recent but from what I recall Iranians have a much higher opinion of the United States (not of its government) than anywhere else in the Middle East.

It's almost like a country of 78 million people has a wide diversity of opinion!

You know, this is why we've been supporting repressive regimes all over the world.

After we invaded Iraq, our popularity in that country nosedived. We started hanging around there and doing our thing. And they got pissed off.

You've got to keep a certain distance from people. You can't let them know who you really are.

By the way, anyone else catch the debate tonight?

E: forgot I was talking to someone specifically.

E2:

Voyager I posted:

From watching the debate, Trump honestly didn't impress me very much. The moderation was obviously gunning for him right at the beginning and he did a good job with his traditional Double-Down Defense, but the debate was overall pretty controlled and nobody other than Rand Paul was dumb enough to try attacking him directly, so we didn't get to see him go all lion in the chickencoop on stage and he didn't bring a whole lot of new material. It definitely wasn't a campaign ender, but I don't think he had the best performance.

Kasich seemed like the most decent of the lot, while Huckabee was the easiest to call bullshit on and Carson and Cruz were pretty nutty. Rubio seems like he could be frighteningly appealing outside the traditional demographics if he makes it out of the primaries.
This is a reasonable analysis point by point and got lost in the point. Everyone liked Trump better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igQ18GIqvc

Did you walk away with a working car? No? Then Trump won.

Ceiling fan has issued a correction as of 06:12 on Aug 7, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
New youtube link, single video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E1qbqEh_ww

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So who gets bumped for belle of the ball Carly for Round 2? Kaisch, Paul or Cruz?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

James Garfield posted:

B-b-but Huckabee said there are no moderates in Iran!

(there are. I've met them.)

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

weekly font posted:

So who gets bumped for belle of the ball Carly for Round 2? Kaisch, Paul or Cruz?

Paul. He's crashing and burning really hard. Christie kicked his rear end.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mo_Steel posted:

Rand Paul = Mankind? (Anti-establishment hellraiser oddball who usually ends up a bloody mess)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

weekly font posted:

I'd say Paul. Tonight went poorly for him.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
It was totally paul. He made the classic libertarian mistake that republicans actually give any bit of a poo poo about the constitution or the bill of rights. You put the actual bill of rights next to "TERRORIST MUSLIM 9/11" the fear of brown people wins every time

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Warrants are for pussies who hate America
#killpeoplebreakthings2016

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I was kind of thinking the opposite actually. I think Christie lost that exchange.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Watching a replay. I know everyone has said something about it, but that hand raise at the start.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My gut reaction following the debate:

Kasich seemed like a decent human being, which means he has no chance.

Rubio and Bush were at least open to immigration, and along with Kasich they focused their rhetoric on their positive achievements (or at least, things they would interpret as positive) and giving people better lives. I may not like them, but I don't want a bolt of lightning to smite them from the heavens whenever they start talking.

Carson and Paul were crazy, but mostly the kind of crazy that makes you hope their spouse takes good care of them at home as opposed to the poison from some of the others.

Trump and Christie were blowhards, they blew some air. Christie had some pretty awful things to say regarding torture and teachers but he seemed to legitimately care about New Jersey.

Huckabee, Walker, and Cruz should be thrown into an arena and forced fight each other to the death. Release lions on the winner. Huckabee is probably christian enough to appreciate the imagery if he makes it through the melee.

EDIT: Trump going on about how, out of his hundreds of business deals, he filed JUST FOUR BANKRUPTCIES reminded me of the punchline of the old joke about how YOU JUST gently caress ONE GOAT etc.

Voyager I has issued a correction as of 06:43 on Aug 7, 2015

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lmfao if you think christie gives a poo poo about nj

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Miltank posted:

I was kind of thinking the opposite actually. I think Christie lost that exchange.

Well you have to consider how a GOP Primary voter would view it. A rational American may see it as a win for Paul but they aren't GOP Primary voters.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Wow, watching a recording of the debate because I couldn't be home for the live broadcast, and they certainly seem to brush Carson aside like he's somehow different, and not worthy enough to be pn the same stage as tgrse pure white gentlemen.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I may have just lost it in the eleventy billion replies but Chase Norton is real and he really loves god and his facebook wall is full of god stuff and I hope he accepts my friend request

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

lmfao if you think christie gives a poo poo about nj

He hosed us worse than Sandy.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

axeil posted:

Well you have to consider how a GOP Primary voter would view it. A rational American may see it as a win for Paul but they aren't GOP Primary voters.

Rand has a base within the party who I'm sure really appreciated that confrontation. Christie is just fighting with Cruz for Trump's electoral scraps.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Grem posted:

Wow, watching a recording of the debate because I couldn't be home for the live broadcast, and they certainly seem to brush Carson aside like he's somehow different, and not worthy enough to be pn the same stage as tgrse pure white gentlemen.

Or that he has no political experience whatsoever, and isn't pulling Trump numbers?

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Top City Homo posted:

they are aching to murder the poor of America
thats their economic strategy

they are the cops of Ferguson

As someone who was actually born and raised in Ferguson, p. much.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

Looked like Walker wanted to give Carson a blowjob every time Carson was answering a question.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Xelkelvos posted:

Trump is obviously the heel, right?
A couple pages back, but Trump is the monster heel that shows up and starts just demolishing the entire stable of wrestlers, and an entire storyline is dedicated to "how can we possibly stop his man?!", before eventually someone beats him on PPV and he's never seen on the maincard again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I really really hate Mike Huckabee. Everything that man said during this debate was regressive, repulsive and demeaning. It's not even "rear end in a top hat funny", just "I'm Al Pacino from The Devil's Advocate"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

JT Jag posted:

A couple pages back, but Trump is the monster heel that shows up and starts just demolishing the entire stable of wrestlers, and an entire storyline is dedicated to "how can we possibly stop his man?!", before eventually someone beats him on PPV and he's never seen on the maincard again.

Yokozuna never forget. :wwftear:

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Donald Trump kind of feels like a real-life Greg Stillson in how he says nothing but awful, crazy poo poo yet gets an army of fanatical supporters that have put him in a position to compete for President.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Grem posted:

His first question was "aren't you too ignorant to be president?" It was amazing.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

gradenko_2000 posted:

I really really hate Mike Huckabee. Everything that man said during this debate was regressive, repulsive and demeaning. It's not even "rear end in a top hat funny", just "I'm Al Pacino from The Devil's Advocate"

the devil in that movie was charming, compelling, and hilarious, though

huckabee is just pat robertson in a mask

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Borderview posted:

Looked like Walker wanted to give Carson a blowjob every time Carson was answering a question.

im glad that you noticed this as well

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Cephalocidal posted:

As someone who was actually born and raised in Ferguson, p. much.

death to the rentier class and their running dog puppets

:bernin:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Boosted_C5 posted:

Huckabee was really good, which will probably keep him in the race long-term by soldifying the religious right wing behind him. He'll be that guy that quietly finishes 3rd or something with steady, low double-digit support once primaries roll around.

Huckabee is the Rick "Santorum" Santorum of this round, the Christian right's darling candidate with hideously ugly regressive positions who maybe wins something and is quietly put away before the general.

Kasich scares me because he's an evil plutocrat like the rest of them but he appears moderate on social positions. I pray he doesn't survive the primary.

Sulphagnist has issued a correction as of 08:54 on Aug 7, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Antti posted:

Kasich scares me because he's an evil plutocrat like the rest of them but he appears moderate on social positions. I pray he doesn't survive the primary.
Being an evil plutocrat who is moderate on social positions just means he's a Reagan Republican though, it's a welcome change

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yeah but that means he has a legitimate shot at national office.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Antti posted:

The money isn't behind him, so no, he doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Antti posted:

If the baseline of the Republican party was Rand Paul-type "libertarians", IE corporatists who don't really care about social policy, then a lot more people would vote for them.

Of course, even that party wouldn't serve the purpose the Republican Party was designed to serve after after re-alignment, that of an anti-waste, pro-efficient spending, cost-cutting party as a foil to the Democrats, who are the party of government expansion. But the Republicans have always been jingoist and pro-military spending barring the brief period where they flirted with isolationism before World War II, so they've never really served this purpose.

• Locked thread