Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Chichevache posted:

The engine sounds great, you philistines! :argh:

I'll have to try it at speed like you said, according to my dad it just sounds like a washer on its spin cycle, which is true at least for low revs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

High Protein posted:

I'll have to try it at speed like you said, according to my dad it just sounds like a washer on its spin cycle, which is true at least for low revs.

True for low revs for sure. I thought it had a decent sound at high revs. Keep in mind, I'm comparing it to a DRZ. Also I have questionable taste at best.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Duke 690 question:

I'm in the market for something to replace my SV1K. I took a 2008 Duke 690 for a spin yesterday and I'm kind of ambivalent. Less power and more vibration I can get used, but the clutch seemed SUPER rattly and the gearbox was pretty average - I missed shifts to second a few times on a twenty minute test ride.

Is the clutch rattle and agricultural gearbox usual on these, or am I looking at a dud example?

FWIW, my SV had the same clutch rattle and it was fine - just a quirk of the bike - whereas a friend's SD990 made a similar noise just before it backed out a clutch bolt, which obviously wasn't ideal.

I also took a 2008 Shiver out for a spin and ... didn't mind it. Which makes me worry that I'm prematurely entering middle age.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Collateral Damage posted:

I trust a computer

Me too. I just don't trust programmers.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
ABS chat

I totally get it, I would be happy to have any bike with ABS and probably would have not minded paying more for a ABS FZ09. I'm just not sure I think is should be mandated like DEUCE SLUICE said (probably he was not serious) This would make every bike cost $500 - $1000 more and I would think a large number of manufactures would just not do it and we would have less bikes to choose from. Traction control / rider assist / anti-wheelie. These things are great but should not be a requirement on all new bikes.

I don't dispute the increase in safety, but these are not minivans... it's really not all that safe to ride a motorcycle at all and I don't know how "safe" they should be mandated to be. Taking this line of thought all the way to it's end would be no motorcycles.

Let individuals make these risk assessments for themselves. I don't even know how to feel about helmet laws. I think everyone should be ATGATT and you are a dumbass if you ride with out it but I'm not sure we should make criminals out of folks that where shorts / flipflops and ride....

Of course I am a huge hypocrite, I would be all for much stricter licensing (minimum require MSF for all riders and really more then that would be good) and / or limited HP for beginners like they have in the UK / AUS.

That said, I'm still with Slavvy, I don't get why this would be a deal killer for one looking at bikes. You are really limiting your options. It should instead be one of many variables to consider.

So, uh, I guess buy a FZ09. Or a Superduke.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

prukinski posted:

I also took a 2008 Shiver out for a spin and ... didn't mind it. Which makes me worry that I'm prematurely entering middle age.

Erm... while I don't have to defend the Shiver with quite the terminal intensity I used to, I still wouldn't call it a middle-aged bike, at least not compared to an SV.

I'd also avoid pre-10 (gold and silver-framed) Shivers as they had clutch spring problems although by this point most of them will have had the springs replaced.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

spandexcajun posted:

I'm just not sure I think is should be mandated like DEUCE SLUICE said (probably he was not serious)

I absolutely was. It's mandated in the EU in the next few years, and I hope we follow suit shortly thereafter.

I'd bet half the cost of the ABS module could be absorbed just from economies of scale putting it on every bike and from not having to build two separate models. gently caress it, make it standard.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I absolutely was. It's mandated in the EU in the next few years, and I hope we follow suit shortly thereafter.

I'd bet half the cost of the ABS module could be absorbed just from economies of scale putting it on every bike and from not having to build two separate models. gently caress it, make it standard.

Probably not half because as I said they're COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) components, and most bikes now are designed to have the mounting locations etc in place anyway, which is why ABS generally only adds the price of the components to the price of the bike. I don't think anyone makes their own ABS any more, it's basically all Bosch. Maybe it adds an hour or two to assembly but again there's no real economy of scale there either, it'll take that whether they do one a day or a thousand a day.

What it may spark though is a bit of competition between manufacturers to offer the more complex systems (9MP and that new lean-sensitive one on the BMWs) over the cheaper ones and absorbing the price difference, which in turn will probably start forcing the prices of them down and incentivising even more advancement.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

prukinski posted:

Duke 690 question:

I'm in the market for something to replace my SV1K. I took a 2008 Duke 690 for a spin yesterday and I'm kind of ambivalent. Less power and more vibration I can get used, but the clutch seemed SUPER rattly and the gearbox was pretty average - I missed shifts to second a few times on a twenty minute test ride.

Is the clutch rattle and agricultural gearbox usual on these, or am I looking at a dud example?

Mine is a 2014 model but the clutch/gearbox should be the same. I'm not sure what you mean by clutch rattle, but when taking off in 1st I do feel the clutch jerkily 'bite' towards the end of the lever throw. I don't hear any noises, except when the bike is in neutral, which is normal.

As for the gearbox, I've missed a couple of shifts, 1->2 and 5->6 I think. They say you need to shift firmly, but I'm used to that from riding a Buell. There's an improved bearing available which apparently fixes the false neutrals (doesn't require opening the engine). Part of the issue for me is the ergonomics, on the Duke IV at least the shift lever is pretty far away from the footpeg.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Make all road bikes standard with ABS, then remove the fuse if you don't want to use it because you're Valentino Rossi and motorcycles are already dangerous, maaan.

Sorry, I just have no time for that attitude after my life was saved by wearing gear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

prukinski posted:

Duke 690 question:

FWIW, my SV had the same clutch rattle and it was fine - just a quirk of the bike - whereas a friend's SD990 made a similar noise just before it backed out a clutch bolt, which obviously wasn't ideal.

The 690 engine requires dirtbike shifting - very aggressive, lot of force.

It's hard to say what is and isn't normal on clutch rattle - they're usually pretty grumbly, again, dirtbike engines.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

It's hard to say what is and isn't normal on clutch rattle - they're usually pretty grumbly, again, dirtbike engines.

Even on the new ones, if you don't try to break the lever off when going from 5th -> 6th, you're not going to 6th.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Question how stupid would this be to buy?:

https://motoped.com/cruzer/
For $3000

I'm basically looking for a small light bike/scooter/whatever to tool around town in. Would be strictly city driving, I'm not trying to take it off road or anything. I'm not a gearhead or motorcycle guy, I just really want some janky thing to go back and forth on when I'm feeling lazy and dont want to ride my bike.

Edit: In case anyone else saw this somewhere and thought it looked cool. It is overpriced junk.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 10, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Holy poo poo that thing is way heavier than I thought it would be reviewing the specs, and appears to be overpriced as poo poo. Leaving my post up as a shameful reminder to others. I'll look on Craigslist for a used Vespa or something.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
You can get a Honda Metro or something similar that is under 50cc for like a grand or so. You don't need an M license if it's under 50.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Holy poo poo that thing is way heavier than I thought it would be reviewing the specs, and appears to be overpriced as poo poo. Leaving my post up as a shameful reminder to others. I'll look on Craigslist for a used Vespa or something.

Buy a grom!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

captainOrbital posted:

You can get a Honda Metro or something similar that is under 50cc for like a grand or so. You don't need an M license if it's under 50.

Thanks for the recommendations I will look into both. I might just go out and take the asic Riders Course offered near me and step up to something just slightly bigger. I dont think I want a full blown bike but I think the Vespa type scooters look stupid and I'm shallow and want to not look like as big of a dork when I'm maxing out at 30 mph.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Z3n posted:

I took it for another test ride and shifted with authority and all was well (plus, my mechanic gave it a once over and thumbs up) so now I own a 690. The first ride was in the rain, which must have soured the experience because second ride involved a lot more chortling and handing over money afterwards.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thanks for the recommendations I will look into both. I might just go out and take the asic Riders Course offered near me and step up to something just slightly bigger. I dont think I want a full blown bike but I think the Vespa type scooters look stupid and I'm shallow and want to not look like as big of a dork when I'm maxing out at 30 mph.

Also don't forget to check out the Superduke.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

prukinski posted:

I took it for another test ride and shifted with authority and all was well (plus, my mechanic gave it a once over and thumbs up) so now I own a 690. The first ride was in the rain, which must have soured the experience because second ride involved a lot more chortling and handing over money afterwards.

The day I finally bought my bike, my buddy and I took our lunch break with the intention of riding around for an hour. We stopped to get a drink and it started flooding. Apparently this is good luck.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If you just want a neat little around-the-town bike that's never going on the highway, a Grom or a 125cc scooter is right up your alley.

Since they cut the MSRP of the Grom by like $1k it's not even an awful deal any more.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

captainOrbital posted:

Also don't forget to check out the Superduke.

Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

Aprilia RSV4

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

prukinski posted:

Cool, I prefer the looks of the Duke 3 like you've got to my 4 (headlights, underslung exhaust) . Although less comfortable, the 3's supermoto style seat was a better fit too, the 4 might look like more of a sportbike but honestly when I ride it, with its upright seating position and soft-rear end suspension I can't help but feel I'm riding the glorified dirtbike it is.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

BaseballPCHiker posted:

https://motoped.com/cruzer/
For $3000

I'm basically looking for a small light bike/scooter/whatever to tool around town in. Would be strictly city driving, I'm not trying to take it off road or anything. I'm not a gearhead or motorcycle guy, I just really want some janky thing to go back and forth on when I'm feeling lazy and dont want to ride my bike.

This thing is probably full of Chinese junk pot metal parts. The FAQ mentions on the site that one of the hub is proprietary, and they will start selling spares 'soon'. You will flat out not be able to keep that thing running without lots of hassle unless somehow motoped becomes a legit established manufacturer. Name brand scooters or small displacement motorcycles are the way to go.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

n8r posted:

This thing is probably full of Chinese junk pot metal parts. The FAQ mentions on the site that one of the hub is proprietary, and they will start selling spares 'soon'. You will flat out not be able to keep that thing running without lots of hassle unless somehow motoped becomes a legit established manufacturer. Name brand scooters or small displacement motorcycles are the way to go.

It's the sort of poo poo that winds up in inflight magazines or a GQ Top 20 Must-Have Gadgets list because it gives their readers an art deco hard on.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
The idea of a beefed up pushbike with a small engine on it seems good if you live in a big city but it must be cheap or why bother. Yamaha had a good looking concept in the Moegi 125cc but at the end of the day it will be used as daily transport so must be able to hold up and be worth the trade offs.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Im buying a '00 ZRX1100 tomorrow.

Not really a question I guess, just excited. Bike is in pretty rough shape, but mostly just needs a thorough cleaning and fluid replacement to be a good 10' bike. Absolutely in love with the styling of the ZRX.

Not anywhere close as fast, quick, stable as the Tuono...but way more comfortable and cheap. It's really low and the ergos are perfect for a 6'2ish dude like myself, kinda feels like a cruiser.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Congrats. You must be some sort of gigantic sasquatch if you think it's a low bike though :v:

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Radbot posted:

because you're Valentino Rossi and motorcycles are already dangerous, maaan.

The thing is, this is the exact opposite of what I and others have said. No one here suggested this except you... it was so refreshing Z3n even commented on it. Thankfully Radbot is not in charge of motorcycle safety regulations in the US and mandated ABS will not likely be happening anytime soon.

I'll stop making GBS threads up the thread now, we can argue in a more productive place about individual responsibility vs nannystate legislation and how to stack-rank motorcycle safety issues :)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mcqueen posted:

Im buying a '00 ZRX1100 tomorrow.

I really love the Z-rex. It's not designed to look sleek or fast or high tech, but it has a plain brute force appeal.

If they brought out a modern ZRX with EFI and ABS brakes but the same design I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 10, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

spandexcajun posted:

The thing is, this is the exact opposite of what I and others have said. No one here suggested this except you... it was so refreshing Z3n even commented on it. Thankfully Radbot is not in charge of motorcycle safety regulations in the US and mandated ABS will not likely be happening anytime soon.

I'll stop making GBS threads up the thread now, we can argue in a more productive place about individual responsibility vs nannystate legislation and how to stack-rank motorcycle safety issues :)

I never said you or anyone on this thread said it, it's a common refrain on other motorcycle forums. Luckily, spandexcajun isn't in charge of motorcycle safety regulations in the EU and mandated ABS has been a thing there for years.

Thanks for saving us your spiel about nannystate regulations and FREEDOM and Murrica, though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

I never said you or anyone on this thread said it, it's a common refrain on other motorcycle forums. Luckily, spandexcajun isn't in charge of motorcycle safety regulations in the EU and mandated ABS has been a thing there for years.

Thanks for saving us your spiel about nannystate regulations and FREEDOM and Murrica, though.

ABS isn't mandated on all bikes, yet - any new bike put up for type approval from next year will be required to have it, excluding 125s and below, and there are a few other loopholes. This means it will be effectively mandated from the 2017 model year onwards, but most manufacturers have ensured that any new bike they've released in the last few years is at least ABS-ready (space and mounting points provided, that sort of thing) and most have already made it effectively mandatory.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog

Oh good you still need to remove the front pipe to get at the oil filter.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

ABS isn't mandated on all bikes, yet - any new bike put up for type approval from next year will be required to have it, excluding 125s and below, and there are a few other loopholes. This means it will be effectively mandated from the 2017 model year onwards, but most manufacturers have ensured that any new bike they've released in the last few years is at least ABS-ready (space and mounting points provided, that sort of thing) and most have already made it effectively mandatory.

poo poo, does that mean Obummer's gonna take my guns too? Surely mandated ABS signals the End Times.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Oh good you still need to remove the front pipe to get at the oil filter.

You had a cruiser with the same engine?

Also I saw you mention your new Uly's (lack of) oil consumption, does it still do the thing where it uses it till the low mark and then stays there?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Radbot posted:

poo poo, does that mean Obummer's gonna take my guns too? Surely mandated ABS signals the End Times.

Don't worry, he's talking about the socialist hellhole that is Europe.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

You had a cruiser with the same engine?

Also I saw you mention your new Uly's (lack of) oil consumption, does it still do the thing where it uses it till the low mark and then stays there?

It's the reason I immediately eliminated the notion of a Vstar 1100 many years ago. You can get a $300 relocate kit but that just seems lame. I'm just sort of surprised they didn't bother fixing it, but knowing Yamaha it's probably engineered to drum up work for the dealer service departments.

Not sure yet. I did a lot of hard riding before I really established a baseline for consumption. But I had it changed in Sturgis, filled to the high line and didn't hit the low line until Kamiah https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Stu...d46.2271182!3e0

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.
Hey folks. I'm looking to get a new bike to replace my previous one (got stolen and written off). I have my sights on a very cheap ninja 250, going for $2k AUD. What do you think I should expect for that price?

Any protips about ninjas or bike buying in general?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

A ninja 250 for that price in Australia is either only a few years old, or in pretty good condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.
Really? Most of the private sales sites have them at $3k and upwards.