Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I also had the "benefit" of a friend who insisted we grind up at the first opportunity cuz it's easy and get all the Abilities available asap, meaning that the difficulty curve shat itself and died horribly from the word go. Really wonder about how it'd go without being grossly overleveled...and overequipped because holy poo poo does Stealing and that one sidequest give you complete nonsense far too early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Kheldarn posted:

Including a sidequest that wasn't discovered until 13 years after the game's release.
...wait.

Which sidequest was that? :tinfoil: oh god I'm trying to remember every single one desperately.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Brony Hunter posted:

Don't you get better prizes if Zidane loses?

I honestly don't know! I just assumed getting first meant better stuff. Guess that shows however old me when I first played it! :haw: Learning stuff due to LPs is a sign of a good LP.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

...wait.

Which sidequest was that? :tinfoil: oh god I'm trying to remember every single one desperately.

It's not available until Disk 4, so we're a long way off.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

You can always Google it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Mr.Tophat posted:

I honestly don't know! I just assumed getting first meant better stuff. Guess that shows however old me when I first played it! :haw: Learning stuff due to LPs is a sign of a good LP.

It's all a matter of what you prefer, but Gil is plentiful plus 5k is a lovely amount, and who cares about Cards, but the Coral Ring you get if you let Freya win can't be gotten until Treno.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MarquiseMindfang posted:

It's all a matter of what you prefer, but Gil is plentiful plus 5k is a lovely amount, and who cares about Cards, but the Coral Ring you get if you let Freya win can't be gotten until Treno.

Real players know the true reward is the date with Dagger

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Brony Hunter posted:

Yes. The best is if you make sure Freya wins. Vivi gets a Namingway Card that you can get elsewhere while Freya gets the superb Coral Ring (which is essential to grind Grand Dragons, incidentally, if you are so inclined on Disc 1). Also be sure to steal the Mythril Fork from the Zaghnol.

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008
This Lindblum section really illustrates the good and bad parts about this game. The city is huge and absolutely bursting with flavor and it's a pleasure to run around and explore. Then, as Mega did, you invariably end up finding the Synthesis shop, where you discover that you're screwed out of new fantastic upgrades if you haven't been hoarding all your items since the start of the game, with no indication ever that you should have done this. Tons of people want to play the dumb unfun card game with you. I love FFIX for its characters and story and world, but so much of the actual gameplay falls short in a frustrating way.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Planeshifter2 posted:

This Lindblum section really illustrates the good and bad parts about this game. The city is huge and absolutely bursting with flavor and it's a pleasure to run around and explore. Then, as Mega did, you invariably end up finding the Synthesis shop, where you discover that you're screwed out of new fantastic upgrades if you haven't been hoarding all your items since the start of the game, with no indication ever that you should have done this.
...my god.

THIS was the game that forced my hoarding habit holy poo poo it makes SENSE now! :cry:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Not that you'd know to hoard everything, but the game does clue you in to the existence of synthesis pretty early on. Vivi can discover a synthesis shop during his stroll around Alexandia, though it's closing for the night so the owner and his wife can see the play.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Just leaving this for future use. It might be able to be made cleaner by someone better at it.

ZIDANE!!!

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I think this is the place I talked about in my last post. If you don't make the Butterfly Sword, you miss out on one of Zidane's abilities permanently. Either because you can't buy the items that you use to make it, or Synthesists don't offer to make it anymore, or something. I think I had sold off the items that make it, or I made the more expensive and higher damage item, and just never got the ability. It was annoying having the gap in my battle menu forever.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's not really an ability you're likely to use anyway.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

There's a gap in two menus. TWO!

And who knows when you'd want to use that Dyne rather than the other similar Dyne? Hoard everything, trust nothing. The end is nigh, buy all the wrists!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

Just leaving this for future use. It might be able to be made cleaner by someone better at it.

ZIDANE!!!

:rusty:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The real bad hoarding habit to do with shopping (tell me if this is a spoiler but I'm pretty sure it's not?) is that there's one item that teaches Vivi Firaga/Thundaga/Blizzaga. You can only get it from one shop. Accessing this shop isn't particularly difficult over the course of the game and you're unlikely to miss it.

But it only has that one item after a story segment in that area. If you've already been there, already checked the shop, and never check it again because you figure you already checked it?
Welp.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

AdmiralViscen posted:

I think this is the place I talked about in my last post. If you don't make the Butterfly Sword, you miss out on one of Zidane's abilities permanently. Either because you can't buy the items that you use to make it, or Synthesists don't offer to make it anymore, or something. I think I had sold off the items that make it, or I made the more expensive and higher damage item, and just never got the ability. It was annoying having the gap in my battle menu forever.

You will almost never miss out on the Butterfly Sword since you can synth it in Black Mage Village. If you sold off the Dagger, you can just buy it again from Dali, Madain Sari, Treno or, I think, Lindblum itself. As for the Mage Masher, you can buy it from the same places as the Dagger, plus you can find one in Ipsen's Castle.

I don't think you can get screwed out of any Zidane's gear unless you literally miss a certain location all together or repeatedly ignore previously discovered Synthesis recipes and sell the materials.

bewilderment posted:

The real bad hoarding habit to do with shopping (tell me if this is a spoiler but I'm pretty sure it's not?) is that there's one item that teaches Vivi Firaga/Thundaga/Blizzaga. You can only get it from one shop. Accessing this shop isn't particularly difficult over the course of the game and you're unlikely to miss it.

But it only has that one item after a story segment in that area. If you've already been there, already checked the shop, and never check it again because you figure you already checked it?
Welp.

THIS is the real thing that can potentially gently caress you over, though in fairness you do have a solid window to nab it, not to mention a reason to go back to the location.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 8, 2015

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Sum Mors posted:

About the wrists: Game makers goofed the pricing of an item.

Did they? The flyer definitely seems like it was placed there as a joke (come to my seminar to find out this one trick to get rich quick!) but it seems like a strange coincidence that it also happens to be correct because of a goof in pricing.

I can believe it was just left in on purpose. I mean hell. I never knew that trick until I googled the bracers thing. And I'm not the only one either.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fister Roboto posted:

Fun fact: when you're running him around town, Zidane will turn his head to ogle any pretty girls he passes by. The best example is the redhead who wanders around in the shopping square, you'll see a lot of her if you do the cotton robe trick often.

I have to say, it made my day to find this out. The nature of Monkey is irrepressible.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Brony Hunter posted:

Like the above posters have said (spoilers for soon-to-be-covered segment), It really is better to let Zidane lose to Freya, which you can easily do by running out the clock on the Zaghnol fight with Freya in the lead or let her fell it with the last attack (After stealing everything of course), since it gets you the Thunder Absorbing Coral Ring (Which incidentally lets Freya learn her Lancer ability far earlier than you normally would, make Freya do more damage than she would normally with regular attacks/jump AND give her MP (10 a pop) a use). Vivi wins a card. SINGULAR. ONE. A PILE OF poo poo ON A PLATE AND A SLAP IN THE FACE. And Zidane, along with bragging rights and a big (metaphorical) dick, gets 5,000 Gil...which even at that point is loving pitiful to say the least.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 8, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Kemix posted:

Like the above posters have said, It really is better to let Zidane lose to Freya, which you can easily do by running out the clock on the Zaghnol fight with Freya in the lead or let her fell it with the last attack (After stealing everything of course), since it gets you the Thunder Absorbing Coral Ring (Which incidentally lets Freya learn her Lancer ability far earlier than you normally would, make Freya do more damage than she would normally with regular attacks/jump AND give her MP (10 a pop) a use until she gets a free Mythril Spear for Reis' Wind). Vivi wins a card. SINGULAR. ONE. A PILE OF poo poo ON A PLATE AND A SLAP IN THE FACE. And Zidane, along with bragging rights and a big (metaphorical) dick, gets 5,000 Gil...which even at that point is loving pitiful to say the least.

On the flipside, 5,000 gil is more than it costs to make a Coral Ring (materials + base cost will come out to about 2660 gil, almost half of what Zidane gets), so in the end it's more economical to let Zidane win. You really don't need the Coral Ring that early anyway. There's not a whole lot of things that thunder absorption will help with, unless you're hunting Grand Dragons (and honestly, why would you care to blow what little challenge the game has out of the water like that?), and Lancer is not that great of an attack, given that Jump will get more damage and the MP damage is negligible, hitting for double-digit MP drain against either normal enemies that will die quickly anyway, or bosses with several thousand MP.

In the end though, it's down to personal preference, and since it won't make a huge deal of difference either way, I prefer to let Zidane win since he's the main character. It just feels WEIRD to me to let Freya take the crown, badass though she is.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Wait wait guys let me just check the Perfect Game Guide to settle this argument.

code:
* Who wins is really just a personal choice.
nvm

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Money never really got tight for me. Probably because I use the best character in the game that gets me double gil for all encounters. Plus copious amounts of a certain minigame. I've never had to sell off my precious pinions.

Not knocking the Lvl 1 run though. I can see where money could be a problem there.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Sum Mors posted:

Not knocking the Lvl 1 run though. I can see where money could be a problem there.

As long as you can do The cotton robe trick when you can I honestly think money is really never a problem...though -getting- that initial investment for it is a painful endeavor if you can't get that 10k from the nobles+the VERY limited quantity Moonstone from the queen. So unless you blow through the 55,000+ gil (Keeping a few robes for yourself, and even then you can get a few free ones from a mini-game not that much further into disk 1) AND keep enough to resupply on Wrists and Steepled Hats on early Disk 2 (You only get ONE chance at 98 Steepled hats since you can steal one from the next boss who is a complete joke), you shouldn't have -too- much trouble with money...if you're not playing a level 1 game and are able to kill poo poo for monies...which I will never do.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Too many black bars, please hold off on stuff I'll get to in a couple updates.

Though you don't have to spoiler the Cotton Robe trick since it's pretty much been spelled out by now, I've done everything but actually show it.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
This drunk-rear end anteater looking dude's walk at the bar made me lose it laughing. [increased frame delay on the gif so you could see his eyes]

Oh, well, there's this, too:

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 8, 2015

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh wow, I always knew Lindblum was big and huge but you still managed to find a bunch of things I didn't know about. NPCs mostly.

I never knew the Viltgance got referenced anywhere in the game, I thought it was just some random airship to make up the card amount to 100. And it also appears in that cutscene where you enter Lindblum. Oh, this game is just packed full of detail.

Also it took me until here my first playthrough to realize that different weapons had different models in battle. Because Zidane suddenly had a big gently caress-off sword.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

I also love the guy in the background who is either asleep or crying on the counter. You can see his back heaving slightly.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

McDragon posted:

Also it took me until here my first playthrough to realize that different weapons had different models in battle. Because Zidane suddenly had a big gently caress-off sword.

That's pretty understandable though, considering most folks didn't have huge TVs to play their playstations on. That and even upscaled I imagine it'd be something tough to see if you're not specifically looking for it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Technical Analysis posted:

That's pretty understandable though, considering most folks didn't have huge TVs to play their playstations on. That and even upscaled I imagine it'd be something tough to see if you're not specifically looking for it.

I don't know, I always found the way the camera pans blatantly over the guy striking down the last enemy made it exceptionally hard to not see this. Or our pretty drat standard family-TV was already bigger then what other countries considered standard in the 90s, I dunno. :shrug:

L5 Death
Oct 6, 2009

TravelLog posted:

I also love the guy in the background who is either asleep or crying on the counter. You can see his back heaving slightly.

Yeah, same way my dad was asleep after a fifth.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Today we'll finish our tour of Lindblum. Little of plot will happen, so if you're not interested in more NPC dialogue I suggest skipping to near the end of the update.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will delight in the holiday schedules of air cabs.

They were much slower than these air cabs. It used to take at least an hour to get to the Theater District.

The attendant here and in the next terminal are boring.

The Industrial District doesn't really have anything to offer besides the usual random loot and people to talk to, so let's go there first.

I nearly lost my arm during the construction.

There's two major screens here and a couple areas to enter. It's a bit smaller than the other districts.

Cid's father was the one who invented the idea of Mist-powered airships, making airships a pretty recent development in this world.

The real question is whether the guy's name is Hunk or if that's just a way to describe him.

If we say front:

NO! Putting it in the back is more effective! Putting the engine in the front provides more stability, but less power!

If we say back:

That's right! You're a smart guy! Nobody believes what I say! Putting the engine in the back results in more power!

You can't find architecture like this anywhere. This regency is so advanced.

And that's everything in this screen.

Only way to go from here is up the stairs.

Since then, a lot of engineers went out to get cats. I have my own, too. Her name is Gypsy.

This game has the weirdest and best details.

Hopefully not this vest.

This thing teaches Jelly, a passive that gives protection against Petrification. Not a bad thing to have since it's instant death and all.

When I grow up, I'm gonna become an airship engineer! I'm gonna build a really big airship, so I can go everywhere with all of my friends!

We can enter the house here and pay this guy a visit.

You're not gonna believe it. It's a steam engine. It's still a prototype. The house gets hot as hell while this baby's running. That's the only problem. I'm getting thin from sweating so much.

Next up, the bar we visited a couple updates ago.

Sometimes, I think she loves her pickles more than she loves me.

We're all out of dark stew.

Seems like a bar is the perfect place to announce this.

And this.

I just came up with a new dish that I want you to try.
Uhhh, no thanks. I'm full right now.
Oh yeah? That's too bad.

As I said, not much to this district. We need to go to the Theater District to advance the plot, so let's do so.

It looks so mundane, just like everything else in this town.

Just so you know, air cabs run nonstop, around the clock.

Before we check out the Theater District, coming here gives us another ATE to check out.

The town is big, the castle is big, why does everything have to be so big!?

What, you're lost? Gee... You're a soldier for cryin' out loud.

That big building in front of us houses the docks.

Wh-What is that large airship!?
Amazing, isn't it? It's the Hilda Garde 2. Since it is equipped with a steam engine, developed by the regent himself, it can fly without Mist.
Impossible. How can it fly without being powered by Mist?

The source of steam power is water. It's much safer than Mist.

Steiner's out-of-touch with the rest of the world since his mind is usually completely occupied by his duties. Then again, that's true too with Dagger, who's been sheltered her whole life, and Vivi, who apparently hasn't had a chance to get out much himself.

It's actually interesting how many of our party members are out of their element while our protagonist has the most information of the group. Then again, that's true of a lot of FF games.

Almost everyone here plays.

Everyone except me!

I tell you, she acts like a child when she talks about him. Heh, heh, heh...

<Thump-Thump, Thump-Thump...>

This area's in the middle size-wise as far as the three districts are concerned. We can go into this house.

I'm gonna use the festival as the theme for my next painting.

What a prize!

Go west from the first screen and we go here. This entrance is the Tantalus hideout, but we'll hold off on that for now since if we do we get to miss a small side thing.

What's Marissa doing!? Oh, hell!

As that lady runs off, another walks up.

If you say no:

Yeah, I don't think he'd wanna see you, either.

If you say yes:

You know, I'm not surprised. Even if I were a guy, I'd still be in his fan club. He's so great!

Down the stairs is this place.

I don't get a chance to talk to the far left woman about how much she adores Lowell. I am sorry.

Hey, who are you!?
Who am I!? I'm Sir Zidane of Tantalus, the greatest bandit in the world!

Go away! Stop bothering us!

Hahahaha

Where's Lowell?
How much longer do we have to wait!?

Thanks. I love you guys.

(drat. I can't see a thing.)

We don't care about you and your stupid show! We came to see Lowell!

Hey...you're-

Poor guy... It's tough being popular. I should know.

I love Zidane's bravado.

These girls are too enamored to ever move from this spot.

Tantalus ain't the only theater troupe in town.

Let's follow the giant moogle, kupo.

Turns out he went to the artist's house.

Please! I'll give you this!

Geez. I can't finish my painting with you bothering me everyday!
Come on. Forget about the painting. Let's work together. You can express your artistic talents on stage, too.

If you're done with your business, get out of here.

Talk to them again...

Fine... What a waste of talent...
I wouldn't get involved with him if I were you.

We can also take a giant, probably smelly moogle suit.

We've got plans for that Moogle Suit. Actually, I don't know if you actually do anything with the Moogle Suit, but it's ours now, dammit.

FF5 and FF6 both had opportunities where you could dress as a moogle, where in FF5 you can use a costume to seduce a moogle into giving you an elven mantle, and in FF6 it was a costume that Strago and Relm could wear and appear as a moogle in-battle.

That's taken care of, so let's hang out at Tantalus HQ.

It looks like no one's been here for a while.

What to do, what to do...?

This leads into a mandatory ATE.

No, thank you. I'm thinking of going outside and having a look around.
I'm sorry, Your Highness, but we cannot grant this request. Right now, there are many people coming to Lindblum for the Festival of the Hunt. Therefore, things are quite chaotic in the town, making security rather difficult. Also, very few people know of your presence here. It's for your own safety. Please understand.
Okay, I understand...

I didn't come here to be protected... I just want to help Mother...

It must be frustrating going from exploring frozen caverns and vast plains to being stuck unable to do anything, especially when you came to work on a problem that you currently can't do anything about. It's frustrating and pretty drat boring, honestly.

Why didn't you tell us that you were back? We're in Tantalus, too, you know.
What?
Yeah. Uncle Baku said if we find some treasure, we can be in Tantalus, too.
Yeah. Check this out.

Yay!
Yipee!

...Yeah. Princess Garnet is at the castle.
Really!? Wow...

Did you ask her out yet?
No... I think she's pretty busy. Plus, she's a princess and I'm a...you know, so...I don't know.
I bet she misses you.
Yeah. You should go see her.
Good luck!

So next up is giving Dagger a visit.

But not after we steal some cash from our former gang.

And a doll because why not.

Let's finish things off by checking in on ol' Tantalus.

I can't believe we found a way out of Evil Forest before it got petrified!
...It's all thanks to our bro, who pointed out the river before he took the map to Zidane.

Yer right. But first, we'll let the guys outside drink some water from the lake. Cinna, bring them over.

I think it's better that Evil Forest stays petrified...
Are you serious!?

I ain't sayin' this out of concern for our safety.
Then...why?
I'm sure he wouldn't wanna be saved if it meant Evil Forest was gonna be restored, too...
...You're right.
We gotta start lookin'.

We gotta do what we can.
I gotcha, Boss!

Something brought up in outside materials is that Marcus and Blank are best friends, so Marcus in particular wants to bring back Blank if possible. And of course there's no way Baku's going to sacrifice someone from his team if he can help it.

This springwater might make some good coffee! I'll get the fixin's!
Do I gotta remind you what happens to members who don't listen to their boss?
N-NO! Please, not that!

Next time, we'll finally get back to the story proper and get ready for the Festival of the Hunt.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Cid's father was the one who invented the idea of Mist-powered airships, making airships a pretty recent development in this world.

The real question is whether the guy's name is Hunk or if that's just a way to describe him.

Is there an image missing between those two lines of text?

Oh, wait, no. The text about Hunk should go up one image, right under this one:

And before the first one in my quote.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Is there an image missing between those two lines of text?

Oh, wait, no. The text about Hunk should go up one image, right under this one:

And before the first one in my quote.

No, just a bit awkward since the second sentence refers to the picture above the statue pic. e: Beaten

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That final ATE is ace for a couple of reasons. Firstly, when playing the game I figured Tantalus were just there to show Zidane's past and I wasn't expecting them to appear again after Blank got petrified so it was great to see the game wasn't done with them. Second, their theme is one of the best tracks on the soundtrack.

:swoon: LOWELL!!! :swoon:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So that pub where we met Freya, I think the special of the day listed out front changes a couple times. It's always named after a status ailment (which explains why Zidane is kinda hesitant to sample new dishes...)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The bar you visit is called the Doom Pub, and all its specials are named after (and presumably inflict) status ailments.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I like that they bothered animating the clock machinery and making it chime just so Garnet could tell us that her ATE takes place at the same time as Zidane visits the hideout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

This is awesome, definitely a pro-click.

Edit. In fact, all the tracks have been great so far. I'd forgotten how good the soundtrack for this game was, it's been so long since I last played it.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 9, 2015

• Locked thread