Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

ElGroucho posted:

No way it could possibly them having an established career and a lady ready to settle down with some boring middle management gently caress over tanned-rear end Marco the surfer stoner with the nice balls

Are you telling me I will reach an age where my nice balls won't land me chicks anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

fordham posted:

Are you telling me I will reach an age where my nice balls won't land me chicks anymore?

You won't; they will

i.e. Ladies, not your nice balls

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
A good pair of balls goes a long way.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I think I'm a bit burned out on OKCupid. I've had 2 great dates with girls I met in person this week, and the last 2 weeks have been girls blatantly dating around - which is fine, but if I go to set up another date the day after don't tell me "Well I had a great time but I have 3 other dates next week how about the week after next?"

I dunno, it's good for hooking up but if you don't hook up on the first date you can basically assume you've got maybe a 20% chance of seeing them again.

In-person at a bar you've already been vetted when you get them out for a dinner, it's kind of like a second or third OKCupid date.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The key to avoiding disappointment is to have a lot going on.

That doesn't mean stacking your week with different dates hoping one works out, either. Go out and do things that interest you and you'll at the very least avoid dating burnout if not meet someone who might share those interests. That way the "week after next" is there before you know it, although really if you see someone 3+ times and they are still talking about maybe pencilling you in then treat them accordingly.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

The bigger problem is it keeps showing me fatasses when my preferences clearly say "anorexic"

Same

Also goes to church

Also has kids

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shumagorath posted:

The key to avoiding disappointment is to have a lot going on.

That doesn't mean stacking your week with different dates hoping one works out, either. Go out and do things that interest you and you'll at the very least avoid dating burnout if not meet someone who might share those interests. That way the "week after next" is there before you know it, although really if you see someone 3+ times and they are still talking about maybe pencilling you in then treat them accordingly.

Good strategy to annihilate self, I prefer to stew in my own poo poo endlessly and never get a break and just become more and more horrible.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

quote:

Hi I'm Bonnie, she's friendly, cute and am a very shy person... so its gonna take time for her to get to know people slowly and yeh~ there's alot more too.... but I'll tell you when I am ready hehe
Claims to speak better English than Chinese so I wonder how bad her Chinese is.

Man the worst thing about being a short guy is, unlike a fat guy, there's nothing you can do about it except practice dying alone. Lord knows I'll never be rich, either.

e: vvv lighten up, dude or lady, only joking. Did you need me to use special "I am not fully serious" punctuation in a post in GBS? When you're short, broke, and yes, balding, you can either laugh about it or have a heart attack by 30. I had to look it up and my whole life I have been using the phrase "chip on your shoulder" completely wrong so thanks for that I guess

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 8, 2015

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Diet Poison posted:

Claims to speak better English than Chinese so I wonder how bad her Chinese is.

Man the worst thing about being a short guy is, unlike a fat guy, there's nothing you can do about it except practice dying alone. Lord knows I'll never be rich, either.

Much like balding dudes, the main obstacle to a short dude finding someone is the size of the chip on their shoulder. HTH.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tumble posted:

I think I'm a bit burned out on OKCupid. I've had 2 great dates with girls I met in person this week, and the last 2 weeks have been girls blatantly dating around - which is fine, but if I go to set up another date the day after don't tell me "Well I had a great time but I have 3 other dates next week how about the week after next?"

I dunno, it's good for hooking up but if you don't hook up on the first date you can basically assume you've got maybe a 20% chance of seeing them again.

In-person at a bar you've already been vetted when you get them out for a dinner, it's kind of like a second or third OKCupid date.

Wah? Really I mean what's the big deal about honesty? I mean you're playing the field too.
I mean yeah hopefully there'd be a little more tact of "Hey, I'm really busy this week" but still.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tumble posted:

fuckin lol if you pick up chicks at a bar

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I pick up older women at bars for the karma. Because I'm going to be 50 one day.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Coolness Averted posted:

Wah? Really I mean what's the big deal about honesty? I mean you're playing the field too.
I mean yeah hopefully there'd be a little more tact of "Hey, I'm really busy this week" but still.

A girl that's dating three guys a week isn't a surprise but it also is vaguely repellent. The bigger issue though is a girl that says to your face "I'm dating three guys next week so no time for you" is saying she's really not interested in some kind of falsely smug (oh gee you got three dates wow) or mildly slutty (wow look at you just doing whatever you like and gosh darn societal mores about it sistah) way. It shows a real lack of people skills and if she liked you after the first date she'd quietly cancel one of her many dates the next week to make space.

This would also be ugly if a guy said it to a girl, for the same reasons.

Someone might shop for shoes at Goodwill but nobody wants to see a little profile of all the other feet that have been in those shoes as part of that shopping. Not understanding this doesn't make you a radical bleeding edge date-ist, it just means you're a halfassed bleep bloop generic internet autist.

raton fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 8, 2015

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

fuckin lol if you pick up chicks at a bar

loving lol if you don't talk up girls all the time and ask them out if they're interesting, wherever they are.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tumble posted:

loving lol if you don't talk up girls all the time and ask them out if they're interesting, wherever they are.

lmao, you sound like some kind of pua

what's your favorite neg

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

enraged_camel posted:

lmao, you sound like some kind of pua

what's your favorite neg

Aside from the played out and stupid "loving lol if you" which can't die fast enough, what's your problem with his post exactly? There's nothing wrong with talking to people and asking them out if you are interested and you think they may be. You seem very sheltered.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Aside from the played out and stupid "loving lol if you" which can't die fast enough, what's your problem with his post exactly? There's nothing wrong with talking to people and asking them out if you are interested and you think they may be. You seem very sheltered.

A lot of insecure goons in this thread, friend

" I'm not taking to a girl at the bookstore! She..she might not think I'm interesting!"

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

" I'm not taking to a girl at the bookstore! She..she might not think I'm interesting!"

Talking about height always get goons super defensive because the majority of goons are shrimps and have reflexively memorized that 5'9" is the average male height. Lol if your below 6' and don't have enough honor to kill yourself.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Whole lotta Eliot Rodgers up in here

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I am the embodiment of quirk and Extroversion. If you are unfond of whimsy, beware!

I'm a 22 year old social butterfly, currently in a content relationship, so mostly I'll be l looking for friends if anything. I am a nerd who loves books, movies, gaming (especially LARP), but most of all, being around other nerds.
What I’m doing with my life
I am currently working two care jobs, and hoping all too fervently that I can get my rear end out there and apply to school so I can eventually follow my ambition of being a teacher.
I’m really good at
Talking (too much)
Singing (whether it's appropriate or not)
Dancing (when the music [in my head] moves me)
Drawing (but only when I don't have to do it for a purpose)
Writing (but not anything far-flung or structured)

Basically I'm a jack-of-all-trades creatively speaking, but not enough to actually get anywhere with any of it. Sad but true.
Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food
It would be much easier to ask what I don't like.
The six things I could never do without
Hugs, my voice, music, friends, whimsy, gaming
I spend a lot of time thinking about
Life, death, the unknowable, depression and anxiety, equality and fairness, basically deep stuff a 22 year old has no business ruminating on.
On a typical Friday night I am
Pretending to be either a Vampire or a werefox for the LARPs I am a part of.
You should message me if
You are interested in LARPing with my friends and I; you want a fun new face in your regular friendly get-togethers; you actually read through to get this far, and understand that I'm not looking for dating.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I am looking for a werefox match

naem
May 29, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

I am the embodiment of quirk and Extroversion. If you are unfond of whimsy, beware!

I'm a 22 year old social butterfly, currently in a content relationship, so mostly I'll be l looking for friends if anything. I am a nerd who loves books, movies, gaming (especially LARP), but most of all, being around other nerds.
I am currently working two care jobs, and hoping all too fervently that I can get my rear end out there and apply to school so I can eventually follow my ambition of being a teacher.
I’m really good at
Talking (too much)

Basically I'm a jack-of-all-trades creatively speaking, but not enough to actually get anywhere with any of it. Sad but true.
Life, death, the unknowable, depression and anxiety, equality and fairness, basically deep stuff a 22 year old has no business ruminating on.
You should message me if
You are interested in LARPing with my friends and I; you want a fun new face in your regular friendly get-togethers; you actually read through to get this far, and understand that I'm not looking for dating.

Why do so many women itt look like Adam savage from myth busters

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

LeoMarr posted:

I’m really good at
Talking (too much)

You should message me if

Seriouspost here that thing is loving repellent

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Art of her fursona and you're in. I think she(?) is decent.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Delta Echo posted:

Art of her fursona and you're in. I think she(?) is decent.

I honestly thought it was a dude.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Yeah. Doesn't matter still got head.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Anton Chigurh posted:

I honestly thought it was a dude.

It isn't?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Now I'm not sure about anything

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
My self-summary
I like to allow a natural confluence to exist between my various (ostensibly contradictory) aspects. I value momentum, clarity, and knowledge as highly as I do healthy intervals of overwhelming, inundating, frequently harrowing pursuits of beauty. I identify more with the alien in ‘Alien’ than I do with the humans, yet am still relieved that Ripley survives. It keeps me up at night thinking of the increasing rate of the universe’s expansion, but I will never feel insignificant in relation to it, since scale is a very insubstantial basis for worth, or even mass. Any neutron star will tell you that.

I can’t summarize myself with blunt diametrics, like “easy-going”, “emotional”, or that dreadful “Left/Right-Brained” myth (thank you, neuroscientists, for debunking that nonsense!). I don’t see innocence and experience as sequential steps on a one-way road; I think they work better in conjunction. My senses of both wonder and horror stem from the same marvellous root structure, neither associated with positivity or negativity.

In the same evening, I can easily cry at the sublime sweetness of a ballet and then on the walk home get whipped into a warlike fervour listening to Holst’s “Mars”. Come to think of it, that’s a fairly typically night for me. I don’t see this as contradictory; actually, nothing could be more natural, exciting, or creatively productive.

The only times that I’m truly unhappy are when I feel pressure to settle on a simpler identity. Thankfully, this madness usually doesn’t last longer than a day! I’m luxuriant in being a lady-anachronism, a stranger, a continually evolving freak-of-nature. The only thing I refuse to be is a ‘muse’; I suspect that one of my lifetimes was already spent doing that dull, vain work, and so in this life I’d rather be a sphinx.

On that note, please be forewarned that I treat my acquaintance like a garden inside a fortress; it will take more than a “how r u” or “wat u up 2 tonite” to gain admittance. I’ve found that in order to preserve a capacity for kindness and empathy, I need to be protective of my boundaries. Believe me, you do not want to climb over the wall of a fortress just to find yourself trapped in a garden with a sphinx who’ll attack first and ask riddles later.
I adore my day-job, partially because it doesn’t draw from the same well of energy that my primary occupation requires. I have a lot of different writing goals, and I’ve noticed that when I neglect them, I begin to suffer from a restless, miserable creativity that comes out in the form of nightmares and general snappishness. As long as I write a couple hours a day, I feel very satisfied.

But there is a wilder, less cerebral side of my life that involves my internal development. My most important life-events have happened in a chaotic, fecund, thundering solitude that I only achieve when I spurn mortal distractions—meaning I spend a lot of time alone with headphones on, seeing what happens in the aforementioned mind-garden. Yes, boys, you’re delightful, but you’re very distracting sometimes. I prefer to be out of kemmer, if that helps the LeGuin readers.

It's not nearly as ascetic as it sounds; I have a taste for striking coats and aesthetics that would keep me out of those spare, elevated circles.
I’m really good at
I rest too sumptuously upon a comfort with writing and analysis; I'm trying to push this into unfamiliar territory and improve, because the ego is such a treacherous little muscle. I had a memorable foray into the acting world, and may try it again someday, but for right now I want to keep writing as much as I can; plays, essays, articles, stories, and recently some Youtube videos discussing various esoteric subjects that I end up thinking about at 4 a.m.

I'm also pretty good at counter-intimidation, meaning when people try to scare me I get very Klingon and scare the crap right back out of them.

What I'm NOT good at is music, but I've bought a violin to remedy this. I love watching people compose music; and I do mean watching as much as I mean listening. Composing music is one of those few occupations that registers in tiny mannerisms in the hands, brow, and spine in ways that are unforgivably attractive.
The first things people usually notice about me
One friend says it's my hair, another says it's my back-off expression, but I think it's the fact that I walk as fast as a coltish 6'2" boy, but with the focus of a Luftwaffe fighter pilot. I can be an intense pedestrian. I have no talent for strolling, unfortunately, just like I'm losing my talent for savouring food. I call it Olympic walking, other people call it sidewalk rage.
As intense and intimidating as that previous paragraph must make me sound, it was asking about how I am in public. In private, or with one trusted friend, I'm easier to be around. That's where books, music, and movies soften my prickly defence mechanisms.

My library is one thing I take a lot of pride in; it takes up an entire wall. My book collection is the closest thing I have to a hope chest. My old, established favourite writers include Anais Nin, William Shakespeare, George Orwell, Jane Austen, Taeko Watanabe, Frank Herbert, Nabokov, Bulgakov, Elizabeth Abbot, Diane Ackerman, Anne Rice, Julian Barnes, Tony Kushner, Ursula LeGuin, Edward Gorey, and John Patrick Shanley to name a very few. Lately, I’ve been really enjoying Huysmans, D.H. Lawrence, Danielewski, and history or science books the centre on very specific topics, like the race in 1769 to track the transit of Venus or Nijinsky's biography (both crowding my beside table along with House of Leaves, À Rebours, Death and the Maiden, an Alien A.U. novel from my youth, oh, and Twilight. Told you, I'm a symphony of seeming contradictions! Just this once I wanted to be honest about EVERY book on that rickety table)

MUSIC
The obvious old loves like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Tom Petty, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Dvorak, Carl Orff, Holst, Strauss, Puccini, Britten (especially as a librettist) and of course Wagner.
In that last few years I've been getting MUCH more seriously into soundtrack composers, like Hans Zimmer, Zbigniew Preisner, Martin Phipps, and lyricists like Stephen Schwartz. Also, more lately into groups/individuals like Geinoh Yamashirogumi, Nurse With Wound, M83, Amon Tobin and Vangelis. If you have music recommendations, GAWWWD, send them to me!! Music is integral to my writing, but I’m not great at finding new sources. I’ve had to venture into the weirder corners of Youtube and I don't have the right shoes for the terrain.

As far as films go, I’m glad that my parents weren't cautious about what I saw when I was too young to see it. I credit a lot of my personal development to seeing Alien and Blade Runner in 6th grade. Problem is, I tend to be bad at empathizing with the correct species in those films.

I've seen Howl's Moving Castle about 64 times. I'm not kidding, I really have. (it ought to be pretty obvious at this point in the profile that I'm a Miyazaki fan)
I also like classic black and whites, Cinescope, and I love science fiction from any era. Also, I may seem like a snob, but I’d surprise you. A lot of people assumed because I love Evangelion that I would be outraged at Pacific Rim. NOPE. I like giant monsters, giant robots, kick-rear end Japanese girls, why wouldn’t I like it?

I adore Star Trek (TNG and Voyager are the ones I grew up with), South Park, Sherlock, and I consume Doctor Who very slowly over time. I also love documentaries. After doing all the Planet Earth and Blue Planet episodes, I want to get back into the Solar System series with Brian Cox. It's exhilarating! I write like crazy after watching an episode. Science always inspires my creative side.
Music – feeds my cerebral and physiological needs; still exploring exactly how unpredictably music affects my whole person and inspiration process. Men, sorry, but I will never like you as much as I love my sweet, caring, seven-year-old iPod. He’s the main guy in my life <3

Solitude – works in conjunction with music. I’ve never been afraid of being alone, and usually if I’m grumpy it’s because I’ve spent too much time without a plunge in the restorative, secret spring of solitude ☺

Writing – before I ever diagnose myself as depressed, I first ask “How long has it been since you’ve written?” If I start to get hung up on petty things, or if I catch myself wondering why a cute guy hasn’t texted me back, it usually means I’ve gone too long without writing. Writing is the one thing I can count on to fix everything, every time.

Self-Reflection – I spend a lot of time on self-reflection, and there’s plenty of people who will condemn me when they glance at my profile as narcissistic, egotistical, or pretentious, without really understanding what any of those words means outside of a Reddit thread. But I need to be turning my attention inward critically on a regular basis. There’s a lot that needs to be examined for my own health. It’s important for me to avoid delusion, entitlement, or disrespect in my life, and this requires a lot of self-analysis.

Connections – also, friends. As important as solitude is, I crave those rare meetings with marvellous, sensitive, thoughtful individuals who know how to turn over an idea in their minds without agreeing or disagreeing. I’ve made snap judgements on people before who have come to be my closest friends, and I’m learning slowly to let myself be surprised by strangers.

Books – I need the intimacy and escape. Books are a sensual experience. They have an individual scent, feel, weight, and sound that identifies them in my mind as close friends. I could never trust an e-reader the way I trust a book.
This changes on a regular basis. I’d have to update it like a blog, and since my profile is over-teeming as it is, I’ll just continue to update my actual blog.
I'll either be in my room reading/writing on my fourth cup of tea, or I'll be wandering around downtown listening to music. I do try to go out and party with friends, but usually get bored and gently caress off after a bit. I find it generally unsatisfying, except lately I’ve discovered new kinds of events and concerts that suit my subjectivity MUCH better. I’m trying to make myself experiment with those things more often, because I’m naturally a hermit or a solitary explorer.
Also-- sometimes I forget it's Friday night and accidentally grocery-shop in the middle of a messy clubbing area.
The most private thing I’m willing to admit
Over a thousand years ago my ancestors came down from the Arctic circle to try their hand at war-lording, but my particular line has been excommunicated for so many centuries that I'm pretty sure I don't have to feel guilty about it anymore. The point is, when I'm physically threatened I experience an atavistic reversion to their ruthlessness. I blame it on genetics; when someone tries to grab at me, I hear about five centuries of self-proclaimed god-kings roar in my ears "DEATH BEFORE DISHONOUR" and react accordingly. I'm just warning that if you ask me out and behave in an ungentlemanly manner, I blame my freak-genome for your broken wrist.
You should message me if
You got past that first thorny wall of text? Not actually challenging, but it's amazing how little it takes to trap a quick attention span. It's not the same as a springe set for a woodcock, because I use it to deflect rather than to corrupt. You should message me if you got that reference without using Google.

Here's the thing though; I don't really get relationships or dating. In their contemporary form, they've been around less than a century, but people act as though they have the authority of millennia. The modern model breeds restlessness and self-consciousness in me. I can discover a person moment by moment without goals or pressure, but 'dating' honestly feels like public performance art to me: mildly diverting, but more effort than it's worth.

-Please don't message me just to tell me how "pretentious" I am. To quote Inigo Montoya, "You keep using that word, but I don't think it means what you think it means". Being pretentious means relying on a pretence; so how would that benefit me if I wanted to make real connections? I'd be using a pretence if I expressed myself in any other voice. I really just want to make the acquaintance of other erudite, curious people. No need to be mean to me about how I speak; I already experienced that in elementary school and it's unnecessary between adults.

-I know you get tired of messaging women who don't get back to you, but I won't respond to 'hey how are you', 'what's up?' or quirky non-sequitors that are copy-pasted into tons of messages. I find that to be kind of a listless overture.

-Outright rude or vulgar messages will probably receive a reply, but it'll be the sphinx's reply.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LeoMarr posted:

I’m really good at
Talking (too much)

You should message me if

I'm the kid in the back trying to stop my little bro from puking due to exposure.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Post a picture Hellequin you dumb gently caress

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

is that a dude?

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Anyone else getting a "The Shining" vibe from the people in the background?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Aside from the played out and stupid "loving lol if you" which can't die fast enough

You've been here for less than a year and you're already calling for memes to die? Haha, you're funny.

quote:

what's your problem with his post exactly? There's nothing wrong with talking to people and asking them out if you are interested and you think they may be. You seem very sheltered.

ElGroucho posted:

Guys, please don't be one of those creeps who prowls and hits on women in bookstores and supermarkets. And if you think "I'll just talk to her, she won't figure out that I'm hitting on her" you're pretty wrong.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its ok to talk to people

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

:yum:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

You've been here for less than a year and you're already calling for memes to die? Haha, you're funny.

Guys, please don't be one of those creeps who prowls and hits on women in bookstores and supermarkets. And if you think "I'll just talk to her, she won't figure out that I'm hitting on her" you're pretty wrong.

oh god you can't be for real.

here is the thing - it turns out if your motive is to meet a cool person and have a fun conversation... You can talk to all sorts of fun people, and some of them may even be a cute girl!

if I see a cute girl browsing a section of books i like, I very well may say hello and possibly ask her out if i think that we'd have fun. If I'm "a creep" and somebody who "prowls", then I guess I'll just have to keep that up.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

She's got nudes right? Right?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

liberated woman right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

its ok to talk to people

Actually, it's not.

• Locked thread