Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

net work error posted:

I think I want to replace my Mopho

Most Dave Smith stuff is pretty boring but the Mopho is in a league of it own. The Blofeld is a complete circus with clown car in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Anybody grabbin/thinking of getting the Makenoise Telharmonic?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

0dB posted:

Most Dave Smith stuff is pretty boring but the Mopho is in a league of it own. The Blofeld is a complete circus with clown car in comparison.

You've lost me completely with this analogy. :(

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Scatterfold posted:

Definitely.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yo Tassman 4 is on sale for $89.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

net work error posted:

You've lost me completely with this analogy. :(

Clown cars are the best cars (Blofeld is good).

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

0dB posted:

Clown cars are the best cars (Blofeld is good).

So uh, what do you guys think would happen if I picked up a Yamaha Dx-100 and played while riding a Yamaha Dx-100?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Scatterfold posted:

It's pretty high on the list but I gotta slow down the GAS for the time being however; my cat needed a Sub 37 worth of surgery to survive last week. Sadly he's not very talkative or I'd sample the poo poo out of him as a substitute.

It looks interesting and the interval/chordal aspect of it fills a hole in my current rig, I'm just waiting for more info on it to see if it's predictable enough to do what I want. Also the rig is really Make Noise heavy and I try to keep a variety of sounds going.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

stillvisions posted:

It looks interesting and the interval/chordal aspect of it fills a hole in my current rig, I'm just waiting for more info on it to see if it's predictable enough to do what I want. Also the rig is really Make Noise heavy and I try to keep a variety of sounds going.

I think the most audible complaint so far has been that the tonic tuning is via a small knob and therefore quite hard to get right. However, thinking about how I'd use it (Riley/La Monte Young-esque 60s raga/drone pieces) if I needed another VCO it'd probably be the DPO, which I could fine tune to it - rather than the other way around.

I like the fact the module is also a nod to James Tenney. He's an interesting guy with a lot of respected writing on tonality and composition - like an American Xenakis, but with less shrapnel and more dubious goatees.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Sizone posted:

So uh, what do you guys think would happen if I picked up a Yamaha Dx-100 and played while riding a Yamaha Dx-100?

you'd be the coolest FM MF in town

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fors Yard posted:

you'd be the coolest FM MF in town

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
so that's what TR stands for...

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Doepfer announced a special edition of the Wasp Filter: black faceplate with yellow text and knobs.

So hot.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

sofullofhate posted:

Doepfer announced a special edition of the Wasp Filter: black faceplate with yellow text and knobs.

So hot.

drat. I'm glad I didn't buy one a week ago.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

MockingQuantum posted:

drat. I'm glad I didn't buy one a week ago.

Me too! I've had it on my list for awhile. Went to look at it on the Doepfer site today and saw the SE - had a back-and-forth with Shawn at analoguehaven, and as soon as it was up for pre-order I pulled the trigger.

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe
After spending a few afternoons messing around at SchneidersLaden, it looks like this will be my first modular:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/198029

If you ever happen to be in Berlin, definitely go check that place out. Of course, there's a waiting list for a lot of this stuff, so it'll be a couple of months before everything is in place. I cannot loving wait.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

The Yellow King posted:

After spending a few afternoons messing around at SchneidersLaden, it looks like this will be my first modular:

If you ever happen to be in Berlin, definitely go check that place out. Of course, there's a waiting list for a lot of this stuff, so it'll be a couple of months before everything is in place. I cannot loving wait.

Needs VCAs

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

sofullofhate posted:

So hot.

Pre-order's up at AH, I make it a point not to buy modules new but I can't resist dumb paint jobs. :pcgaming:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

The Yellow King posted:

I live in Berlin, but I have no interest in hardware synths :)

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe

Mr. Glass posted:

Needs VCAs

You're right. Any recommendations?

wayfinder posted:

I live in Berlin, but I have no interest in hardware synths :)

Fair enough, but if you've never been I'd still say check it out. They have some pretty elaborate setups that are fun to mess around with, plus a lot of exotic gear that places like JustMusic would never carry.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

The Yellow King posted:

You're right. Any recommendations?

Bubblesound VCP4p. Super-compact quad VCA with expo/linear switch on each, and mix out. It's a brilliant little piece of kit and to my ear it sounds amazing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

sofullofhate posted:

Bubblesound VCP4p. Super-compact quad VCA with expo/linear switch on each, and mix out. It's a brilliant little piece of kit and to my ear it sounds amazing.

On the subject of VCAs, any thoughts on the Intellijel uVCA? Seems like they get snapped up pretty quickly on Muff Wigglers, but I've never used one myself.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
vca4p and µVCA are both great options. the former is more space efficient, but the latter has an offset pot in addition to an attenuator, which comes in handy. it's also continuously adjustable between linear and exponential, so you have a little more flexibility there.

get both.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mr. Glass posted:

vca4p and µVCA are both great options. the former is more space efficient, but the latter has an offset pot in addition to an attenuator, which comes in handy. it's also continuously adjustable between linear and exponential, so you have a little more flexibility there.

get both.

I probably will, it's just a matter of which I get first. I have 90hp and most of it is theoretically spoken for.

breaks
May 12, 2001

It depends on what is in the rest of your 90hp. For example, consider controlling the VCA with an LFO that swings into the negative range. On the VCA4p this is just going to close it entirely while the LFO is negative and to fix that, you need a mixer and a DC source to combine with the LFO. On the uVCA you just adjust the bias. On the other hand, if you want to do something like having voltage control of the mix of several waveforms, the VCA4p is the clear choice.

The uVCA is built in a modern way and the VCA4p uses more vintage components, which probably makes some kind of difference to the sound, but this is probably pretty subtle (that said I haven't compared them).

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

breaks posted:

It depends on what is in the rest of your 90hp. For example, consider controlling the VCA with an LFO that swings into the negative range. On the VCA4p this is just going to close it entirely while the LFO is negative and to fix that, you need a mixer and a DC source to combine with the LFO. On the uVCA you just adjust the bias. On the other hand, if you want to do something like having voltage control of the mix of several waveforms, the VCA4p is the clear choice.

The uVCA is built in a modern way and the VCA4p uses more vintage components, which probably makes some kind of difference to the sound, but this is probably pretty subtle (that said I haven't compared them).

The difference between the VCA4p and a VCA with more modern architecture is pretty stark, actually, I think. I find the output of the 4p very musical. I'll try to shoot a comparison video in the next couple of weeks.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Traded away an XG/GM unit for a Casio DM100 and VL1. DM100 actually has hifi quality presets and not the SK1 era junk that I wanted, and the VL1 is a glorious happy funtime holy-grail keeper.

So, if anyone of you need presets of either or VL1 ADSR sets sampled, let me know and I'll drop you raw per-key .wav/aiff. Hoping to get a 3-4 key an octave sampleset of SK1 presets myself, only found an unreliable one-per octave source online so far.

Now let's see how it handles LP sampling

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I can dust off the SK-1 and sample it. Are you just looking for the presets?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

sliderule posted:

I can dust off the SK-1 and sample it. Are you just looking for the presets?

Would be awesome and yes. Can skip Human Voice and SynthDrums, default envelopes, 2-5 second lenghts. If we say the upper octave is mid then it's the following eight I need:
code:
Lowest F
low C, low D#, low G
mid C, mid F, mid B
high C
The MicroSampler is quite good about transposing but sometimes vomits, D# and one of the last six keys of a higher octave are often necessary to prevent imperfection. I sampled the drums back forever ago and I love them so much. (username at gmail)

e: DM100 gets my approval, the casio chord function makes it sound hella videogame BGM. I could help a developer friend get cheesy tunes with this.
e: The DM100 demo tune is some serious Yellow Magic Orchestra poo poo :psyduck: aaand set with samples, best regards to sliderule, time to get cracking on transcriptions

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 9, 2015

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Got my modular last week and finally got time Saturday to make a patch that used everything instead of focusing on learning each modules features.
Sorry about the phone audio.
https://www.facebook.com/neil.griffiths.986/videos/10155937341985425

Mostly all coming from the elements with a little dpo mixed in too. I was expecting a lot from the elements but it has a much wider range of sound than I realised.
My girlfriend said it sounds like someone stuck in an air vent having a freak out which I am totally ok with.

Side note: had I been buying these seperately I would have never gotten a wogglebug but man alive is that module a lot of fun.
I think I need a clock divider, but I'll wait till I get the beatstep and see how using the 8 drum outputs as programmable clocks works out.

So far 10/10 very happy with it. Will start recording properly this week to make real music out of it.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 10, 2015

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
:treemike: gonna need a toxx on that

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'll take that. By sept 3rd I'll have a track made from modular stems.

Loaned my boss's h4n, recording starts tonight!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Here's a thing I did. It is 100% modular with no external effects - EQ, compression and panning only in the DAW.

I am pretty damned happy with it.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

sofullofhate posted:

Here's a thing I did. It is 100% modular with no external effects - EQ, compression and panning only in the DAW.

woah, dang!

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

sofullofhate posted:

:ocelot: n i c e. what's making the chords that come in at 0'59"? Was this recorded in one take, or have you edited as well?

Here's a thing I finished last night - https://soundcloud.com/scatterfold/telharmonium-one - using lots of the new makenoise Teleharmonium. Like sofullofhate's track it's 100% modular, recorded in two takes to tape (so two layers of Telharmonic). There's also a lot of the NonlinearCircuits Super Sloth - their 12-15 minute chaotic LFO - all three tracks have some sort of SS influence: the timbre of the fundamental drone, the Wogglebug influence acting as a very slow LFO on the burst rate on the right channel melody; the frequency of fluctuation on the Y axis of Rene on the left channel melody as well as it's timbre, e t c e t e r a....

In any case: the Telharmonium. It loving owns. Serious recommendation if you have the cash to splash.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Scatterfold posted:

Here's a thing I finished last night - https://soundcloud.com/scatterfold/telharmonium-one - using lots of the new makenoise Teleharmonium. Like sofullofhate's track it's 100% modular, recorded in two takes to tape (so two layers of Telharmonic). There's also a lot of the NonlinearCircuits Super Sloth - their 12-15 minute chaotic LFO - all three tracks have some sort of SS influence: the timbre of the fundamental drone, the Wogglebug influence acting as a very slow LFO on the burst rate on the right channel melody; the frequency of fluctuation on the Y axis of Rene on the left channel melody as well as it's timbre, e t c e t e r a....

In any case: the Telharmonium. It loving owns. Serious recommendation if you have the cash to splash.

this is rad. i had originally written off the telharmonic since all the demos sounded really tinny and metallic, but you've really tamed the sound here. now i want one, so thanks :homebrew:

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Mr. Glass posted:

this is rad. i had originally written off the telharmonic since all the demos sounded really tinny and metallic, but you've really tamed the sound here. now i want one, so thanks :homebrew:

You're welcome. The Telharmonic is actually very mellow if you dial down the centroid or flux settings, on both the H and P outputs (and not just for a tiny bit of the dial; at least 1/4-1/3rd of it). On top of that I think both layers of Teleharmonic have gone through the Optomix and had the top end filtered out a bit more. I'd say it was equally as capable of making mellow sounds as tinny/metallic ones - people just haven't shown that off much yet, as you say.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
yeah, looking forward to hearing more demos. i'm on a self-imposed moratorium from buying new modules until i get off my butt make some actual music, though.

currently on my wish list:
- Telharmonic
- Mysteron (although i have an Elements preordered, which may get me where i want to go in this department)
- Wogglebug
- 4ms SMRF
- intellijel shapeshifter
- 4ms qplfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Scatterfold posted:

This is awesome! Really want to buy one of these but I'm out of room in my case.

The new Qu-bit Tri-ger module looks fantastic too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iwwI5a9wj0