Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Are we done :spergin: about Roy for a while? Because I want to :spergin: about gearpeople. I'm confused about the biology of the Gearpeople. Revolio Clockberg Jr. has internal gearsticles and is identified as a male. The other gear people we see have a similar hatch covering their gearnitals and Fart shows us that they copulate in a way analogous to humans. So how does gearDNA get exchanged when gearsticles seem unlikely to be able to penetrate a hypothetical gearlabia?

Also: ARGLE BLARG BLARG

"Articles, Books, Gearpeople have written entire libraries dedicated to expla-" HEY ARE YOU DONE FIXING THAT YET?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm a little disappointed that the entire episode wasn't just them playing space video games Rixty Minutes style.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm a little disappointed that the entire episode wasn't just them playing space video games Rixty Minutes style.

Now I want them to make a sequel to Rick and Morty's Rushed Licensed Adventure akin to Wario Ware. Just a ton of space video games in short sequences.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Animating hundreds (thousands?) of gears seems like it'd make the animators scream wubba lubba dub dub

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I'm currently writing my thesis on gear-genitalia, gear-gender and gear-sexuality.

a shameful boehner posted:

Animating hundreds (thousands?) of gears seems like it'd make the animators scream wubba lubba dub dub

I'm willing to bet 90% of those gears are 3D, which is so much easier it's ridiculous.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

VideoTapir posted:

Don't think about it.

Should be the thread motto.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I gotta say the gear people are one of my favorite designs on the show. They really capture the look and feel of some 80's toy extended out to a whole civilization.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Megaspel posted:

I'm currently writing my thesis on gear-genitalia, gear-gender and gear-sexuality.

My preferred pronouns are gearm/gearr/gearmself

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Typical posted:

ayyye. thats my bug drawing.

I'm a little late to say this, but I wanted to reiterate what everyone else is saying. Your work is really great. I was also wondering what Hazo asked:

Hazo posted:

Can you go into a little detail about how you all eventually settle on a design? Does the prop team sit down and vote? Does the art supervisor choose? Does Dan walk in and pick one like how George Lucas wanders into a room and points at the model he wants?

All those timeline detecting devices are really interesting and cool so how do you decide on the one that's used? Were there any factors about specific ones that made them clash with the show's design? For instance, I would imagine Rick's devices can't look too polished or professional, but then again, I obviously don't work on the show.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Are we done :spergin: about Roy for a while? Because I want to :spergin: about gearpeople. I'm confused about the biology of the Gearpeople. Revolio Clockberg Jr. has internal gearsticles and is identified as a male. The other gear people we see have a similar hatch covering their gearnitals and Fart shows us that they copulate in a way analogous to humans. So how does gearDNA get exchanged when gearsticles seem unlikely to be able to penetrate a hypothetical gearlabia?

Also: ARGLE BLARG BLARG

Ohhhh boy, do I envy you. It all began...

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

boo_radley posted:

Ohhhh boy, do I envy you. It all began...

The thing to remember about the Gear Sex is that its all about the Gears.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

There's a lot of grinding involved

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

No, grinding is bad. If you feel any grinding, stop, apply more lube, and take it slowly.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

I gotta say the gear people are one of my favorite designs on the show. They really capture the look and feel of some 80's toy extended out to a whole civilization.

There was specifically a He-Man guy who worked like this, Roboto. Transparent body with a bunch of plastic gears inside. Pretty sure that was the basis.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Maxwell Lord posted:

There was specifically a He-Man guy who worked like this, Roboto. Transparent body with a bunch of plastic gears inside. Pretty sure that was the basis.
Yep, good ol' Roboto.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

I, for one, am looking forward to the planet of the mechanecks. (one of only 3 he-man guys that survived my childhood)

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Was watching Mortynight Run again, and I just love the way Jemaine Clement says "fart" or "Morty". Such a lovely, soothing voice he has. :allears:

Also, is Midnight Run any good? I wanna learn more about Jerry's taste in movies.

Rassle posted:

I, for one, am looking forward to the planet of the mechanecks. (one of only 3 he-man guys that survived my childhood)

You lucky bastards, my parents never bought me any of those cool He-Man toys. All I got from that franchise was one lousy She-Ra VHS. I did have a pretty sweet Toxic Avenger figurine though. :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Was watching Mortynight Run again, and I just love the way Jemaine Clement says "fart" or "Morty". Such a lovely, soothing voice he has. :allears:

Also, is Midnight Run any good? I wanna learn more about Jerry's taste in movies.

It's generally highly regarded

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's generally highly regarded
depends on the tv settings

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Correct
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHWK8F2E1hQ

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zsinjeh posted:

depends on the tv settings

The factory tint setting is always too high.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

The factory tint setting is always too high.

Yeah, why is that?

Crop_Top_9000
Jun 20, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

Yeah, why is that?

so it looks better on the shop floor

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They call it "burn mode" and they turn the brightness and contrast up really high too. Never buy a floor model tv.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Meta-Mollusk posted:

You lucky bastards, my parents never bought me any of those cool He-Man toys. All I got from that franchise was one lousy She-Ra VHS. I did have a pretty sweet Toxic Avenger figurine though. :v:

That's a Toxic Crusader figure, pal :colbert:

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I was wondering how Gearhead or the Gear people got those episodes of Gazorpazorpfield and Ball Fondlers, then I realized it was probably from Rick one way or another.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Onomarchus posted:

I was wondering how Gearhead or the Gear people got those episodes of Gazorpazorpfield and Ball Fondlers, then I realized it was probably from Rick one way or another.

Inter-dimensional Netflix, duh.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Onomarchus posted:

Why can't they just have a good cable package?

Rick's not the center of the universe, you know.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Irish Joe posted:

"Number one is me, rear end in a top hat!"

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Just want to say that I thoroughly enjoy this show and that it's cool that a goon works on it and posts about it here and stuff.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Hazo posted:

"Number one is me, rear end in a top hat!"

See, it even says it in the show title. Morty is number 2, and no one else matters.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Nichael posted:

I'm a little late to say this, but I wanted to reiterate what everyone else is saying. Your work is really great. I was also wondering what Hazo asked:

All those timeline detecting devices are really interesting and cool so how do you decide on the one that's used? Were there any factors about specific ones that made them clash with the show's design? For instance, I would imagine Rick's devices can't look too polished or professional, but then again, I obviously don't work on the show.

I want to hear more about this too. Do they just say "it's a machine with a screen" or do they give you more to go on?

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Nichael posted:

Can you go into a little detail about how you all eventually settle on a design? Does the prop team sit down and vote? Does the art supervisor choose? Does Dan walk in and pick one like how George Lucas wanders into a room and points at the model he wants?

I'm super glad you guys like the art!. The design process is actually pretty simple. we have a meeting with Justin and the art director James, he goes over the script with us. The script in episode one just said something like. "and then Rick pulls out something like an oscilloscope that he built, blows the dust off of it and turns it on. Two dots are readable on the screen" so that was pretty much all I had to go off of. I went back to my desk and sketched a bunch of those things you saw earlier. and asked the art director for notes on the designs. The art director is in charge of the entire visual style of the show. he makes sure that everything stays consistent and believable and interesting. Hes pretty much leads the art team and keeps everything on track visually. we know what were doing for the most part but hes the one that has the final say in everything. his job is also to interpret Justin's ideas. Justin doesn't really have time to draw for the show. that's not really his job. occasionally he draws doodles and stuff if he has something really specific that he wants us to do. but hes more in charge of the show as a whole. so he just tells us what he wants and picks his favorite stuff to go on screen. Later I cleaned it up inked it and drew the extra angles of it

Anyways, back to the device. James gave me some notes and we made a few adjustments here and there to make all of the designs a little more complex and interesting. and then we took the best ones and submitted it to Justin, and he picked that one. really any of those could have worked for the purpose of that machine i think. but that one was probably the easiest read.

a typical Rick invention is a amalgamation of parts and junk. they all sort of feel a certain way. its not to hard for me to come up with stuff rick would make. That one in particular was based off an old computer i made when i was 14. so it was my favorite prop for that show.

Oh also there isnt a prop "team" its just me, there are other designers though. we have a few characters designers and 4 or 5 background designers. and then a bunch of color people. Forums User Asile is on the color team and she colored the time computer machine.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Those programs are from a different dimension. As far as I remember, only Ricks (and one Morty) are shown to have transdimensional technology. The, er, strip-mall-thing the Jerry day care center is at seems to jump into different dimensions, but the nonhumans there are probably just along for the ride if they even all know they are dimension hopping. It's got to be controlled by the Rick that came up with it, and I imagine it regularly goes back to his dimension anyway.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Onomarchus posted:

Those programs are from a different dimension. As far as I remember, only Ricks (and one Morty) are shown to have transdimensional technology. The, er, strip-mall-thing the Jerry day care center is at seems to jump into different dimensions, but the nonhumans there are probably just along for the ride if they even all know they are dimension hopping. It's got to be controlled by the Rick that came up with it, and I imagine it regularly goes back to his dimension anyway.

I think Rick said the asteroid base was in some kind of dimensional limbo, so any Rick can get to it, presumably with a pass key or something.

I get the feeling that Rick isn't the only person with that level of technology, but he is probably the only person both smart and irresponsible enough to use it the way he does. I could see Rick selling those transdimensional cable tuners, though. It'd be a good racket.

I can't wait for tonight's Rickdiculous shenanigans.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Onomarchus posted:

Those programs are from a different dimension. As far as I remember, only Ricks (and one Morty) are shown to have transdimensional technology.
The first episode features a transdimensional customs center.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

JT Jag posted:

The first episode features a transdimensional customs center.

Oh yeah, that's right. Silly me. I do remember hearing somewhere else the pilot was a little different from the rest of the series (then just the first season), and now I'm beginning to see it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Onomarchus posted:

Oh yeah, that's right. Silly me. I do remember hearing somewhere else the pilot was a little different from the rest of the series (then just the first season), and now I'm beginning to see it.
It's more Doc and Mharti-inspired than the rest of the episodes, Rick is more gross and droolly, and also "stick it way up your butt"

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
~new ep time aww yeah~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Time to watch this brand new episode of Rick and Morty for the first time!

• Locked thread