Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm fairly sure we'll see Gel + Tsubasa vs. the rest of the Gatchamen at some point. Tsubasa has been shown palling around with Gel too much to not be on his side for at least the start of a fight between the two sides. I don't know who else is going to be the last antagonist if Gel isn't either, unless our favorite red haired prisoner has a Gatcha transformation he's been hiding.

I think Hajime's gray emotional indicator will be important eventually as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

NowonSA posted:

I'm fairly sure we'll see Gel + Tsubasa vs. the rest of the Gatchamen at some point. Tsubasa has been shown palling around with Gel too much to not be on his side for at least the start of a fight between the two sides. I don't know who else is going to be the last antagonist if Gel isn't either, unless our favorite red haired prisoner has a Gatcha transformation he's been hiding.

I think Hajime's gray emotional indicator will be important eventually as well.

more like red herring prisoner

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I figured the gray emotional thing just meant Haijme isn't emotionally swayed by whatever's going on at the moment, she forms her opinions based on the big picture and doesn't stray from them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty much, she's not unique either, the old guy in Tsubasa's village had a grey thought cloud too.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't on principle mind Hajime being the one to fix it in the end, as it means she must hosed up at some point earlier in order to have allowed world peace to be threatened.

Like Hajime, I'm hanging back, watching and waiting.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It just occurred to me that Gel doesn't appear in the ED at all. She appears in the OP a few times, and is the center of the group photo at the end of it, but she doesn't show up in the ed, where the Gatchaman are all forming a link as one. There's probably some significance to that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Normie Slayer posted:

It just occurred to me that Gel doesn't appear in the ED at all. She appears in the OP a few times, and is the center of the group photo at the end of it, but she doesn't show up in the ed, where the Gatchaman are all forming a link as one. There's probably some significance to that.

The fact that she is not a gatchaman probably factors.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There is a non-zero chance that the OP is a fakeout.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The real crime of the season so far is how little "In the Name of Love" is used. :(

I'm liking the season otherwise.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

The fact that she is not a gatchaman probably factors.
No, but she has a "gatcha" form of sorts, and you could argue that she's been played up as an ally up to this point.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
The plot of this season could be a really bad Marvel crossover event.

But instead it's really good.

Senerio posted:

The real crime of the season so far is how little "In the Name of Love" is used. :(

Agreed.

But, I still hear it regularly, as it is my morning alarm.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm also sad that the greatest Gatchaman twitter isn't back for the new season.

(Read the below bottom to top)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Senerio posted:

I'm also sad that the greatest Gatchaman twitter isn't back for the new season.

ahaha

This came with a link, but i can't find these at the end of it. :(
https://t.co/uk6yA91OmC

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
haha those are great.

Still waiting for a nice Insight phone wallpaper of some sort (that isn't just art of the characters).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm trying to come up with a relatively concise description for why just adding hipster glasses makes Sugane's character design 2000% better.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm trying to come up with a relatively concise description for why just adding hipster glasses makes Sugane's character design 2000% better.

Link a before and an after picture.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wish all official art of him had him holding a beer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

ahaha

This came with a link, but i can't find these at the end of it. :(
https://t.co/uk6yA91OmC

I guess the Gatchaman Line stickers didn't make it over to America :(

Working!! stickers did tho

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Conot posted:

For a show that usually does a good job of discussing differing view points, and both criticizing and praising those view points, I feel like Tsubasa/Gel's point was unfairly given a free pass.

There are a number of ways that populism is bad and that self-reliance is better then hero worship, but everyone just kind of keeps quiet, including Jou who no more then 5 minutes later clarifies that he hates going with the flow.

Not to say it was a bad episode, but I kinda wish atleast one of the Gatchamans had piped up with "So will you kill people if its what everyone wants?" or some equivelant point.

Did you miss the part where the grad student monologued over ominous music for two minutes detailing exactly why its a bad idea.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im 6 days late on this but heres what I was in this week's episode:
  • The beer branded Large Beer
  • The dubstep playing while Jou laid out his election management plan
  • Hajime's hammer pants
  • OD saying Innnsayighto like he was about to blow a load
  • Sugane's expanding posse of slores

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They've realised how gay he is for Jou, making them his fag hags.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

In Training posted:

Did you miss the part where the grad student monologued over ominous music for two minutes detailing exactly why its a bad idea.

What's his deal anyway? Is he pulling a Death Note and this is all part of his plan somehow or why is he still :smug:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It could go both ways, he could be like Jou and is OK with the ends justifying the means in this particular case, or he could think that Gel is far more dangerous than Crowds are.

I'm guessing that he's actually more scared of Gel than he is of crowds though. Crowds is a tool while Gel is the embodiment of the masses, and he seems to loving hate the masses.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Redmark posted:

What's his deal anyway? Is he pulling a Death Note and this is all part of his plan somehow or why is he still :smug:

His deal is that he is 100% right.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Realtalk here, there's no way that somebody wouldn't have tried to use CROWDS for military purposes about five minutes after it was released to the public. At the very least some enterprising terrorists would have jumped at the opportunity to cause some havoc with relative impunity. Or criminal gangs would have started to make hits on their rivals by way of CROWDS. The sheer potential for misuse is staggering in its implications.

So redhead rear end in a top hat is pretty much on the money, funnily enough, even if it's for the wrong reasons.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Of course it would fall apart as soon as a competent bad faith actor so much as looks at CROWDS. And there are no lack of such in the world.

But that's not really the point. Gatchaman Crowds is set not just in Japan, but in a single region in Japan. Like a superhero story, the city is an allegory for the entire world, and that is why every single space alien is residing or crash-landing in the vicinity. The show wraps itself in a deliberate layer of artifice and asks for no more than an acknowledgement of its sleigh of hand.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I meant more in terms of actions. Unless I'm misunderstanding, all med student has really done is drive Japan into the arms of a benevolent (?) alien personality cult, and he says as much himself. Why is he still acting like he's got it all under control? If he's against populism, if anything the situation is worse than it was before.

And I think it wouldn't be too difficult to see why people might accept CROWDS as a viable option. If you take away the magical plot-driving abilities to collapse buildings and take down fighter jets and be huge and such, it's basically just teleportation + limited anonymity. Anyone who gets wrecked as CROWDS becomes a vegetable. All it really is is force projection for GALAX, and if there's a single point of failure it's X, which hasn't seemed to worry anyone thus far even after Katze took over.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Redmark posted:

I meant more in terms of actions. Unless I'm misunderstanding, all med student has really done is drive Japan into the arms of a benevolent (?) alien personality cult, and he says as much himself. Why is he still acting like he's got it all under control? If he's against populism, if anything the situation is worse than it was before.

I don't think he's acting like he has the situation under control. He just likes being right.

He knows he's pretty much likely to be first up against the wall when the revolution comes, but there's nothing he can do about that. He's been fatalist in that respect from the beginning.

EDIT:

I kinda wonder whether Rizumu's situation is comparable to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marinus_van_der_Lubbe

Well, if you adopt the viewpoint that Lubbe *did* in fact set the Reichstag fire.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 8, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

His views were co-opted, used as a springboard to start a campaign and now its spiraling in a direction that I doubt he likes. Crowds are just a tool he thought could be misused, while Gel is the physical representation of the thing he hates most about humanity.

There is no way he could have anticipated this sort of turn around, so I doubt he's being smug because he has a plan somehow. His "goals" have already been met, just in a way he probably never wanted.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

His views were co-opted, used as a springboard to start a campaign and now its spiraling in a direction that I doubt he likes. Crowds are just a tool he thought could be misused, while Gel is the physical representation of the thing he hates most about humanity.

There is no way he could have anticipated this sort of turn around, so I doubt he's being smug because he has a plan somehow. His "goals" have already been met, just in a way he probably never wanted.

I guess that he has faith that the Gatchamen are going to do their job, lay the smackdown on Gelsadra, and restore the reins of power to a regulated, privileged elite. Basically, Gel is going to force the powers that be to do what he wanted all along.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Was going to sit down and watch the stream but apparently its been delayed by a few hours :sigh:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Was going to sit down and watch the stream but apparently its been delayed by a few hours :sigh:

Three hours from now! aag

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the Tsuritama cameo was cute

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man Jou's rage is palpable. He's going to start smoking again at some point in this season, I can feel it. Also I was expecting Tsubasa's confrontation with her granpa at some point but not this early, I was expecting her to butt heads with Hajime a few times again before moving on to grandpa but maybe she'll clash one more time with him just in time for the brothers backstory to tie in with the events.

Also there are slight hints with for the coming conflict looks like Gel is having an interest to Hajime having Katze inside of her. Really there isn't much of a difference between believing Crowds is bad and letting someone with a weapon of mass destruction inside of her walking about. Both are based on mistrusting people. So I'm guessing some manner of conflict is going to erupt from this

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Also there are slight hints with for the coming conflict looks like Gel is having an interest to Hajime having Katze inside of her. Really there isn't much of a difference between believing Crowds is bad and letting someone with a weapon of mass destruction inside of her walking about. Both are based on mistrusting people. So I'm guessing some manner of conflict is going to erupt from this

Plus there's the fact that Gel and Katze are opposites in how they seek to affect society.* One brings total unity, the other complete chaos, so they're natural enemies.

*Though they both sprout from the same source that you mentioned, a distrust in other individuals. Katze is a fallen Gatchaman who I assume grew disillusioned with people, giving up heroism for accelerating and reveling in what he believes is the inevitable self-destruction of a society of individuals.

Gel, on the other hand, is the "savior" of such societies, but only by transforming them into absolute collectivist societies.

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 8, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Man Jou's rage is palpable. He's going to start smoking again at some point in this season, I can feel it. Also I was expecting Tsubasa's confrontation with her granpa at some point but not this early, I was expecting her to butt heads with Hajime a few times again before moving on to grandpa but maybe she'll clash one more time with him just in time for the brothers backstory to tie in with the events.

The way he eye balls her when she doesn't do the breathing technique with every one kind of hammers in that he thinks somethings up because she's such a non-conformist.

I'm willing to bet that 'exhaling properly' is doing it at your own pace. Every time he chastised someone for not exhaling properly was when they were mimicking his pace and pattern.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 8, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The way he eye balls her when she doesn't do the breathing technique can of hammers in that he thinks somethings up because she's such a non-conformist.

I'm willing to bet that 'exhaling properly' is doing it at your own pace. Every time he chastised someone for not exhaling properly was when they were mimicking his pace and pattern.

Gel was the only other person he chastised in the same way in the first episode, so I'd say that's on the money.

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 8, 2015

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
The huge sweeping changes depicted in the episode are pretty interesting. It goes way beyond abstract 'what will this alien prime minister be like' deep into unnerving, society upheaval level change, meanwhile the populace are depicted as being casually detached and amused. It's interesting how they manage to make this episode so unsettling given that nothing bad is happening. You just know the other shoe is going to drop at some point. The bits where he's cutting the defense budget, laying off politicians, increasing spending on social programs, lowering taxes - you look at those individually and go 'this sounds nice' but wonder if the big picture is that he's going to sink the country into a huge deficit or expose it to worst-case political scenarios that would have been prevented by the more convoluted political structure it had before.

The Rui bit at the end got weird when they cut to this and held for... longer than necessary. Anime business-as-usual but kinda atypical for this show. Other than Hajime's breasts, I guess. They focus the camera on those a lot.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cerebral Bore posted:

Realtalk here, there's no way that somebody wouldn't have tried to use CROWDS for military purposes about five minutes after it was released to the public. At the very least some enterprising terrorists would have jumped at the opportunity to cause some havoc with relative impunity. Or criminal gangs would have started to make hits on their rivals by way of CROWDS. The sheer potential for misuse is staggering in its implications.

So redhead rear end in a top hat is pretty much on the money, funnily enough, even if it's for the wrong reasons.

The show has acknowledged this, though quickly, because Rui stated that X was shutting down any attempts to use it for pranks or crimes at one point. The reason that the red Crowds could get away with it is because they weren't running through X. Which makes it even more obvious what a huge point of failure X could be, and that there should be multiple X entities running at once checking each other's decisions or something.

Kaelan Zero posted:

The huge sweeping changes depicted in the episode are pretty interesting. It goes way beyond abstract 'what will this alien prime minister be like' deep into unnerving, society upheaval level change, meanwhile the populace are depicted as being casually detached and amused. It's interesting how they manage to make this episode so unsettling given that nothing bad is happening. You just know the other shoe is going to drop at some point.

I think the other shoe is more likely to be the fact that Gelsadra has become a benevolent dictator by dissolving the rest of the government and while yea, he's all smiles at the moment and taking on everyone's opinions what happens when everyone is looking to do something he doesn't agree with? He's all about unity, but he's also all about avoiding conflict, so if people are pushing for a conflict of some kind it might be the snapping point for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tsob posted:

I think the other shoe is more likely to be the fact that Gelsadra has become a benevolent dictator by dissolving the rest of the government and while yea, he's all smiles at the moment and taking on everyone's opinions what happens when everyone is looking to do something he doesn't agree with? He's all about unity, but he's also all about avoiding conflict, so if people are pushing for a conflict of some kind it might be the snapping point for him.
The thing is, Gel doesn't really have opinions of his own. His actions are determined by the thoughts of those around him, and what he calculates will make everyone united (represented by their thoughts all being the same color). His idea of conflict isn't violence, but people being fragmented in thought, desires, and actions. If nearly everyone was for violence against a specific target, he'd be all for it as well, because that would unite the people. Note that in the OP the thoughts surrounding Gel are all red. Making everyone happy isn't the only way of uniting them.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 9, 2015

• Locked thread