Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

MREBoy posted:

If we're gonna compare numbers, how do these look for main battery hit ratio percents ?

St Louis 40%
Phoenix 40%
Omaha 36%
Murmansk 35%
Cleveland 27%

South Carolina 36%
Arkansas Beta 28%
Wyoming 21%

What other numbers differentiate "Competent" players from the "Needs reminders to breathe routinely" types ?

I would just compare damage per game/exp/whatever else to the SEA server averages.
Hit rate is probably not the best number, since your hit rate increases if you hold fire rather than taking low probability long range shots. It's a worse surrogate for damage per game, in that a player with low hit ratio and higher damage per game is still better at dealing damage than a player with high hit ratio and lower damage per game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
I usually hang around a 20-40% hit ratio in BBs, those long range shots really hurt your acc.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Is there a UI mod that makes the rudder bar more visible and/or moves it higher towards the reticle?

I tend to forget where it is when I do quick Q/E maneuvers with destroyers and faceplant into islands...

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I just got in the mood for some botes again, and holy poo poo the WG site is awful at explaining the beta economy. What I was trying to find out:
1) Is there any known "Play X battles during beta for a reward" stuff?
2) Do they seriously expect me to buy special currency for the beta? I can't use the piles of gold I have on my account?
3) What, if anything, carries over to the live game? I assume the Beta BB from the CBT does at least.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Darkrenown posted:

I just got in the mood for some botes again, and holy poo poo the WG site is awful at explaining the beta economy. What I was trying to find out:
1) Is there any known "Play X battles during beta for a reward" stuff?
2) Do they seriously expect me to buy special currency for the beta? I can't use the piles of gold I have on my account?
3) What, if anything, carries over to the live game? I assume the Beta BB from the CBT does at least.

1: So far, nothing has been announced. Since this is open beta, I'm not sure there will be.
2: They've said they are going to merge WoT gold with WoWS, but that's yet to happen.
3: Everything carries over. This open beta is basically live, in all but name.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

I am so bad at the Wyoming. I actually quite enjoyed the South Carolina, but the Wyoming I just can't be good in. Anyone got any advice, or should I just give up on BBs and go back to DDs and CA/Ls.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hazdoc posted:

1: So far, nothing has been announced. Since this is open beta, I'm not sure there will be.
2: They've said they are going to merge WoT gold with WoWS, but that's yet to happen.
3: Everything carries over. This open beta is basically live, in all but name.

Are you aware if they also plan on mergin WoT/WoWs free experience as well?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is there some trick to using dive-bombers effectively or are they just garbage? It feels like even in the best possible circumstances (a carrier moving directly away from them, US squadron of 6 dive bombers) they only manage a single bomb hit, and that hit does about 1500 damage.

It's a shame, because I just had a stormer of a game where my fighter-heavy Bogue killed 50 enemy planes and my dive bombers made about six or seven bombing runs and the total damage was 5000.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Gort posted:

Is there some trick to using dive-bombers effectively or are they just garbage? It feels like even in the best possible circumstances (a carrier moving directly away from them, US squadron of 6 dive bombers) they only manage a single bomb hit, and that hit does about 1500 damage.

It's a shame, because I just had a stormer of a game where my fighter-heavy Bogue killed 50 enemy planes and my dive bombers made about six or seven bombing runs and the total damage was 5000.

There has to be a trick to it. A few match ago, some guy kept dive bombing me to death (I was in a Kongo) and no amount of maneuvering helped me. Every pass from his DB would spread fire all over my ship. Even with manual drop, I can't come close to doing the kind of damage that guy did with his DB.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Gort posted:

You can manually drop dive bombs too. This is most effective on slowly moving targets, especially wide ones, like CVs and BBs. I've gotten one-shots on DDs that have beached themselves before. The HE bombs are pretty devastating to unarmored DDs. And they're great tools to soften up AA heavy targets, as a successful manual drop can knock out a number of AA nests, letting your TB squads take less casualties.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Pharnakes posted:

I am so bad at the Wyoming. I actually quite enjoyed the South Carolina, but the Wyoming I just can't be good in. Anyone got any advice, or should I just give up on BBs and go back to DDs and CA/Ls.

What exactly is happening in your matches that leads you to not having good ones? Always missing, dying too easily? I remember the Wyo being really fun and amazingly durable.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Gort posted:

Someone in the thread earlier claimed to get way better DB results when attacking from ~30 degree angle due to the way the DB drop pattern works. Another person I play with said they also got better results doing the same thing, but I personally haven't tried it yet because I haven't bothered getting past the Langley again.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

My first close quarters expert. What happened to get it? Oh, I just leeroy'd right into their base and found an AFK Langley that I parked beside and let my secondaries kill while I shot at other ships. Farming those flags!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

My first close quarters expert. What happened to get it? Oh, I just leeroy'd right into their base and found an AFK Langley that I parked beside and let my secondaries kill while I shot at other ships. Farming those flags!

That medal is quite hard to get, never managed it yet.
Maybe with the Nagato and other high tier Japanese battleships it get easier.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Got dropped into Tier 8~10 game in Sims because reasons.

Doesn't look that cool from side :( Also got 200 xp on 2X win due to cap point because everyone was sitting clumped up in open sea so nothing happened and I couldn't do a thing against enemy due to Zao.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Krogort posted:

I've gotten it twice, first time driving some T3 battleship in a T3 sort of match, second time just recently on a Cleveland rolling up on a point-capping carrier while fighting other ships.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
We saw our first Tirpitz last night in a match. Sexy.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Euro servers are full of badly driven Tirpitz and Bismarck from the Gamescom booth.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Krogort posted:

Shockingly, the only time I've gotten it so far was in a Cleveland of all things, slugging it out with another Cleveland from point-blank range. I guess my secondaries were less horribly accurate than his that particular day. I was also using AP and trying to nail his citadel, so a lot of my regular shots weren't doing much damage compared to the secondaries overall apparently.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Good news, clan name SEAMN is available. I think I might reserve this for future use on my alt because this can only end in memorable experiences for us. I think a gimmick-parody FOG_troll_names would maximize the overall effectiveness of this.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 8, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Probably my best game ever, including but not limited to : alphaing two cruisers, surviving a brawl against a North Carolina an Iowa and a Myoko (had a destroyer and, a friendly CV and a mid range Nagato as support) and sinking a cocky destroyer with my secondaries.

I'm not very good with battleships but when the star align, you can do some nasty damage.

And of course, I forgot to reactivate replay after messing up with the preference file.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 8, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Let the games begin..

http://na.wargaming.net/clans/1000021838/

[SEAMN] SEAMEN

Never not shoot your hot load at another sailor...

Now we need a good logo.. get on it goons. I am thinking a scantily clad sailor riding on a torpedo like a bucking bronco.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know of any good streamers/videos that show off the short range US destroyers? I love the concept of destroyers but I can't figure out how to make them work other than through the occasional pure luck scenario or just staying out of fight and hoping I get lucky with a stray while hugging islands.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

demonR6 posted:

Let the games begin..

[SEAMN] SEAMEN

Now we need a good logo.. get on it goons. I am thinking a scantily clad sailor riding on a torpedo like a bucking bronco.

Applied to SEAMN :getin:

Zaius
May 14, 2007

No, that would be your mother.
So anyone try the Bismark or Tirpitz yet? interested to know how their AA is.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Krogort posted:

You could manage on the Kongo or Fuso. However, their secondary range is 4 km, a bit smallish. You'll be eating very difficult to dodge torps if you pick a fight with an IJN CA or a DD of either nation at this range, with only a little bit of time with your guns firing. The Nagato gets 5 km, which makes it a fair bit easier. Of course, you'll also want the Secondary Battery Modification 2 upgrade to improve the range by 20% and increase the accuracy of the secondaries. This makes hits on DDs much more likely, as well as turning nearby cruisers into swiss cheese if they've shown their broadside. For the Kongo/Fuso, range is improved to 4.8 KM with the mod, 6 KM for the Nagato, 4.9 KM for the Amagi, and a solid 8.4 KM with the Izumo/Yamato. US BBs get 5 KM secondaries at T7, 9, and 10 as well, but they don't have as many batteries, meaning less DPS. With Advanced Firing Training... that's another 20%. Kongo/Fuso goes to 5.6 KM, Nagato is 7 KM, Amagi is 6.3 KM, and the Izumo and Yamato get a staggering 9.8 KM on their secondaries. To put this in perspective, this range is equal to the Kawachi's in its top configuration. If you ever face a failplatoon with a Kawachi vs your Izumo/Yamato, you'll know when the Kawachi is in range when your secondaries start popping off!

Note that you will be giving up Gun Fire Control mod 1 for this, your all important accuracy increasing mod, so this is very much a gimmick fit. But an excellent gimmick.

nessin posted:

Anyone know of any good streamers/videos that show off the short range US destroyers? I love the concept of destroyers but I can't figure out how to make them work other than through the occasional pure luck scenario or just staying out of fight and hoping I get lucky with a stray while hugging islands.
You're in luck, I'm uploading a Mahan video right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LaZ6LfxDpc

Sometimes pubbies just have to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I had more XP than even the top person on the enemy team. A shame I didn't get the double for it, I coulda easily hit 7K, I think. I'll be uploading more DD videos as they come. The Mahan and US DDs in general lend themselves well to good videos, due to the knifefight scenarios that emerge.

I'll break down things I notice as I play, to better highlight what things you should pay attention to when DDing.

0:16, the critical was the Fubuki's engine. I should have aimed much closer to the Fubuki afterwards, as he lost a TON of speed from the engine crit, but I didn't notice it and missed all my subsequent shots.
0:50, the torpedoes I fired were aimed ahead of the grey line on the Atago (I forgot to X lock him in replay mode), he just kept boating ahead into them :shrug:
1:53, the torpedoes I fired were aimed ahead of the grey line once again for the Mahan. I expected him to show more broadside, and therefore end up further to the right of where the grey line would have sent my torps. The aiming was still too shallow, as the furthest right torp is the only one that connects. I am using the 4.5km torps, as evidenced by my 5 turret loadout (and therefore, Hull A Mahan).
2:38, my shells crit the engine again, but I notice this time, and send my shells with very little lead to hit again. The Fubuki's engines stop smoking at 2:49, indicating he's repaired. This is important.
3:01, a shell hits the Fubuki's lone front turret, destroying it. The Fubuki only has one front facing turret, meaning I am now safe from any front angling the Fubuki shows me. I continue to fire, setting him ablaze at 3:09. His repair will not be up for another 40-42 seconds.
3:12, I fire at the Mahan, unlocked. Don't do this. Make sure you are X locked so your shells land at the correct distance. My shells likely landed well over him as a result.
3:50, the fire kills the Fubuki just before his repair comes off cooldown. RIP, NERD! Should have taken Last Stand, so you wouldn't have needed to repair the engine damage! (I still repair engine damage, though I have been getting better at not popping it too early and getting lit on fire later).
4:30, I notice the Mahan has no front facing turrets left intact. Attacking from the front is safe, until he shows his rear turrets. A narrow miss a second later highlights the importance of vertical lead, though dispersion played a large factor as well. He goes down a bit later.
6:25, I prepare to ambush the Colorado. I'll set a smoke screen, to conceal the Atago and I for as long as possible, while his fighter scouts for us. I reverse as I set smoke, to spread it out a little bit for more room to work with.
7:01, the Colorado turns away back behind the island to avoid the Atago's torps. Then the Atago dumps more right in front of me, scaring me. I was beginning to go forward again, but fortunately not soon enough to eat the torps. A bit reckless, but no harm no foul. This Atago did provide me a bit of a distraction in the earlier fight, which was helpful. I put some shots into the Colorado, while fully smoke concealed. Try to do this whenever you get the chance. A fire here would have been great, should my ambush have succeeded and I had a chance to torp the Colorado and inflict flooding (if he repaired to douse the fire).
7:33, I commit to an attack on the 2 nearby cruisers. Hopefully I can kill them with a torp salvo each. I launch one ahead of the Aoba hastily (to catch him turning away from me), though I should have noticed he was already mid maneuver to point his bow at me and instead aimed behind the grey line, or not have fired that salvo. I then rapidly turn my camera to the Cleveland and X lock him (I forgot to do this during the replay, whoops again!), and fired ahead of the grey line again. The first salvo misses the Aoba easily. The Cleveland either slows down or takes no maneuver, and he eats 3 torps for my final kill.
Then I watch helplessly as my team continues to die with a man advantage. We even had an unopposed CV, but that means nothing when pubbies want to lose.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 8, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
SEAMN is getting loaded with seamen!

Five of you who submitted applications I just authorized you. All promoted to recruiters. Please be responsible and if you see someone post in the thread asking to get into our SEAMN clan add them. If you go to the page and see others wanting in, don't add them unless you know they are goons. We don't want hostile semen invading our ranks.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I just applied, my Wargaming name is Mykander rather than Nessin.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

nessin posted:

I just applied, my Wargaming name is Mykander rather than Nessin.

Welcome to the Yubari & Minekaze Companionship Association!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

grrarg posted:

Had a game with this guy in it tonight. I wonder how much money he has spent converting xp to already have a Des Moines, Montana, and Shimakaze. Plus whatever the Yubari cost and around $40 each for Atago and Atlanta.
Free XPing to a tier X is one thing, but Jesus gently caress. Its kind of odd. He actually played a good number of games in the US BB line but it gets strange. He buys the Pepsicola and plays one game in it, then totally free XPs the New Orleans, then buys the Baltimore (a 13.6m credit ship) and plays 3 games in it before free XPing past THAT. Then he gets his Des Moines but only plays 13 games in it? So odd.

demonR6 posted:

SEAMN is getting loaded with seamen!

Five of you who submitted applications I just authorized you. All promoted to recruiters. Please be responsible and if you see someone post in the thread asking to get into our SEAMN clan add them. If you go to the page and see others wanting in, don't add them unless you know they are goons. We don't want hostile semen invading our ranks.
So I have to leave NDP on my WoT account to join SEAMN for WoWs?

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

demonR6 posted:

Let the games begin..

[SEAMN] SEAMEN

Applied as MetalTom

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

cheese posted:

So I have to leave NDP on my WoT account to join SEAMN for WoWs?

But I don't wanna leave Pansy! :ohdear:

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

demonR6 posted:

Let the games begin..

[SEAMN] SEAMEN

Applied as Timmy_Horsey

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't want to leave NDP...

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Applied.

Aborted
Aug 7, 2007

Boba Fatt

Applied as LeperClown

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
applied, Jacks_Libido in game

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Hazdoc posted:

Got three so far. One was done with the Kongo in a match where I sprinted down the right flank on Fault Line, drove up behind the little island in the northern corner there and went HERE'S JOHNNY! on two Langleys parked behind it with my secondaries ripping up one while I nuked the other with the 14-inchers. The other two were with the Mikasa and her hilarious pre-dreadnought secondary battery.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I think I'll apply once we start to see the tags next to our names. I feel like something's missing without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
I find it's really easy to get close quarters expert in the Kongo if you want it, but its really hard if you want it without dying