Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jim Barris posted:

Legend of Mana is very melancholy which isn't a word I think often applies to games. maybe its just the music, lol.

Wasn't one of the major plot lines someone basically killing off members of a dying race for their sweet gem hearts? I remember that one bumming me the hell out when I went through that game. Too bad that Square somehow forgot how to make good Mana games, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Jim Barris posted:

Legend of Mana is very melancholy which isn't a word I think often applies to games. maybe its just the music, lol.

It wasn't the Secret of Mana sequel I wanted when I played it but it is definitely a game I love to play. The atmosphere definitely feels very melancholic at times which is a neat contrast to how colorful it is.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I can't play that game but I do enjoy reading LPs of it. The gameplay is just iffy and the crafting is just ZUG ZUG

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Legend of Mana felt like a weird sidescrolling brawler that controlled awkwardly rather than a Mana game

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Looking at some footage of the English-subbed Chinese release of SAO: Lost Song, it doesn't look nearly as awfully machine-translated as Hollow Fragment was.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GrandpaPants posted:

Wasn't one of the major plot lines someone basically killing off members of a dying race for their sweet gem hearts? I remember that one bumming me the hell out when I went through that game. Too bad that Square somehow forgot how to make good Mana games, though.

Close enough, she was killing them because she wanted to see them cry in order to harvest their healing tears. It would've been more melancholy if anyone in that entire game actually had object permanence, they had to write everyone generically and assumed that nobody knew who you were just in case you did chapters out of order.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just had to resurrect three quarters of my whole party in DQV because Mimics are fuckers.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
haha what the gently caress https://sites.google.com/site/starflighttlc/ complete starflight fangame

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

corn in the bible posted:

complete starflight fangame
And it's not Mass Effect!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Legend of Mana felt like a weird sidescrolling brawler that controlled awkwardly rather than a Mana game

Secret had incredibly janky busted combat, so they were just continuing a grand tradition!

Really the entire mana series was pretty mediocre gameplay wise, they just had stellar soundtracks, charming graphics, and a neat world to explore.

... so basically perfect when you were a kid, not so much later.

World of Mana killed the series stone cold dead for like six or seven years and the creator of the series left Square. Now he works on 3ds ports of Nintendo games :unsmith:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

haha what the gently caress https://sites.google.com/site/starflighttlc/ complete starflight fangame

Now that's coincidence, I have that game! I played it a lot until Elite: Dangerous came out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SelenicMartian posted:

And it's not Mass Effect!

it's also not star control 2

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

iastudent posted:

Looking at some footage of the English-subbed Chinese release of SAO: Lost Song, it doesn't look nearly as awfully machine-translated as Hollow Fragment was.

The Western Lost Song will have a real translation ala Re: Hollow Fragment, though, right?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Rascyc posted:

I can't play that game but I do enjoy reading LPs of it. The gameplay is just iffy and the crafting is just ZUG ZUG

Yeah, the gameplay is so-so (basically it's way too easy) and the crafting is completely insane but fortunately also unnecessary. Its main appeal is how beautiful it is.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Levantine posted:

The Western Lost Song will have a real translation ala Re: Hollow Fragment, though, right?

From what I've seen of the Chinese version, yes. It doesn't look like babelfish nonsense anymore.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm going through Breath of Fire 1 and I'm not exactly sure why I am doing things at certain points or how these events are leading to the end of the Evil Empire. I have killed a random knight that was using an earthquake machine to take over the world by himself and pocketed the key just because I could, talked to a wolf-man that says the Evil Empire will unclog a river in exchange for a ring that is not described as being special, wandered into a dungeon and apparently saved the leader of a town I have not visited before from a general in an unspecified military (maybe it is the Evil Empire?) which caused the leader of one village to start talking about a wedding I have never heard about, and now I used a robot to unclog a river, which has caused a wedding to occur between two villages out of the blue.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

breath of fire is a series built around random fetchquests. It gets better about that as the series goes on, but like 90% of the first two games feels like padding.

BoF1 has exactly one plotpoint.
BoF2 has three.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I don't mind fetch quests; it's just a bit silly when the game drills into your head that the Dark Dragons are Seriously Bad News that you have to fight Right Now, but after wasting an evil frog affiliated with them, I'm suddenly off doing things like fighting random knights with earthquake machines, accidentally saving a random village chief, and unclogging rivers to apparently set up weddings.

The game just does a really poor job at explaining why you are doing things besides "I want to go to the next part of the world map" and how it ties into the main plot.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Don't expect improvements in BoF2. They put a bit more effort into the story, but the gameplay became more tedious and the dragon form sucks.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Don't expect improvements in BoF2. They put a bit more effort into the story, but the gameplay became more tedious and the dragon form sucks.

While I guess I don't disagree on this point, I will say that BoF2 is one of my favorite games.

And yes, it had a ton of "quests" that didn't really have much to do with the plot, but it would hardly be the first RPG to have arbitrary gating mechanisms that force you to finish events to get closer (literally geographically closet in this case) to your end goal. The early Final Fantasies were mostly that, though I know that doesn't really make much of a case for the BoF games. I loved them because the world was interesting, if not overly deep, and the mechanics were cool and very unique at the time. The fusions, the Dragon transforms, and the traversal methods were all really loving cool. That said I doubt they aged well, so they're probably not great if you're playing them for the first time nowadays.

Also the town-building mechanic in BoF2 is one of my favorite things in a video game for some reason.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The way the story in those early BoF games progress really reminds me of the way Dragon Quest games would have a long term goal but a ton of vignettes, with varying degrees of relation to the main plot.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

The way the story in those early BoF games progress really reminds me of the way Dragon Quest games would have a long term goal but a ton of vignettes, with varying degrees of relation to the main plot.

That's a good comparison, actually. Both series are prone to having big world-ending main plots and a ton of minor "save our city" plots to pull you off the main path.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Quick question, does doing the prologue in valkyrie profile do anything like transfer stuff? And if so, is there good stuff or a jumpstart for ending A?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Quick question, does doing the prologue in valkyrie profile do anything like transfer stuff? And if so, is there good stuff or a jumpstart for ending A?

Nope. The prologue just sets up the storyline and is completely ignorable if you've watched it once.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

It took me a bit to even realize what you meant by prologue. It's just a cutscene. Watch it, then play the game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I didn't even realize there was a prologue until after I had actually gotten the A ending.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I'm about to start Nier on the 360 after hearing good things about it, anything I should be wary of going in? I seem to remember something about a fishing quest?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
don't do any of the side quests that sound annoying (or even any)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm in my first dungeon for VP and I can't get this item bag. I'm pressing Down+X like every single pixel, the gently caress is going on?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

boz posted:

I'm about to start Nier on the 360 after hearing good things about it, anything I should be wary of going in? I seem to remember something about a fishing quest?

When the fishing side quest starts, look on your radar to see where to fish. One idiot reviewer didn't do that and had a bad time.

Don't do any side quests unless you want to do them, like to help a person out or maybe it sounds like it'll be either fun or easy. If someone says to go around collecting ten items, forget about that person and never talk to them again.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 8, 2015

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Never played Valkyrie Profile but looking at a bit of an lp it looks quite interesting. Should I go for the psp remake or is it one of those controversial/they hosed it all up ones?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

boz posted:

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Overminty posted:

Never played Valkyrie Profile but looking at a bit of an lp it looks quite interesting. Should I go for the psp remake or is it one of those controversial/they hosed it all up ones?

People said that there are small QoL changes that were made for the US PSX version, but didn't make it into the PSP port. That said, I'd personally want the PSP version because that means I'd be able to play it with the outstanding PPSSPP

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

In Nier you definitely want to do the quest to kill the boar. It's pretty easy and the award you get is cool and useful.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Thanks for the quick replies, I never knew boring quests could be so hated. Are they just extremely tedious?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Also do the ones with the dog and the lighthouse lady.

EDIT: I did all of the quests, but there are some that depend HEAVILY on RNG and drop rates, that might drive you insane. You definitely want to do as many as you can stand, since there is additional dialogue and weapon rewards you don't want to miss. The worst ones actually have worthless rewards anyway.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Some impressions of Lost Dimension after completing the first chapter.

-Assist system is pretty drat strong when you have people set up right (and vice versa, really drat deadly)
-Melee attackers seem to have an advantage on damage, at least early on.
-Machine gun-users are so-so for me right now. Their multi-target attacks would seem useful enough but I haven't run into many ways to use them effectively yet, plus they don't seem to allow for assists afterwards.
-God drat all of you, why did you have to ice George? He was the most weeaboo guy in the best way. I even cast both my votes for the kid with the dumb headphones. :argh:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

boz posted:

Thanks for the quick replies, I never knew boring quests could be so hated. Are they just extremely tedious?

The creator of Nier and Drakengard has a habit of making extremely pointless quests to spite completionists.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat

boz posted:

The director of the series is very self-aware. He puts in tedious frustrating poo poo to troll the player as a sort of meta-commentary on pointless side quests. For example the 50% story mark corresponds to 51% side quest completion with no indication of that extra 1%. To get platinum you also have to spend like 20+ hours breeding flowers in a flower garden.

As mentioned the rewards are common place healing items.

Welcome to the drakengard universe. Enjoy the awesome audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

That's a good comparison, actually. Both series are prone to having big world-ending main plots and a ton of minor "save our city" plots to pull you off the main path.

Heck, the parts in BoF1 where you're not controlling Ryu even feel kinda similar to some of the scenarios in Dragon Quest IV.

Even though it's optional, it's real cool that BoF1 also lets you be a merchant and buy/sell stuff.