Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Thorn of Emberlain has been pushed back to next year; looks like Lynch is having issues with anxiety again. Poor guy :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
So I hesitate to make this judgment at the halfway mark, but so far, Austin Grossman's Crooked -- about Richard Nixon getting involved with various occult conspiracies during this political career -- is reminding me of Tim Powers's Declare. It's not completely blowing me away like Declare does, which is easily among my top 5 books, but Crooked is really great so far, and closer to Declare then I had hoped going into it.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Fart of Presto posted:

Anyone know any of the other books?

Cat Rambo's shorts are great, she writes beautiful prose for genre fiction.

Rusch writes very solid workmanlike space opera. The Diving books are all really fun.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

McCoy Pauley posted:

So I hesitate to make this judgment at the halfway mark, but so far, Austin Grossman's Crooked -- about Richard Nixon getting involved with various occult conspiracies during this political career -- is reminding me of Tim Powers's Declare. It's not completely blowing me away like Declare does, which is easily among my top 5 books, but Crooked is really great so far, and closer to Declare then I had hoped going into it.

I finished it yesterday, and I really liked it too. It's definitely in the vein of Stross's A Colder War novella, and in fact there's a direct nod to that story ("Project Koschei") in Crooked. Also evokes similar levels of paranoia and nihilism.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Halfway through the 2nd Book of The Iron Druid Chronicles and I find it charming, and extremely entertaining. Oberon, (the talking Irish Wolfhound,) is increasingly entertaining, and Atticus reads like a roleplayer out of Scion more then anything. Which I find both hilarious and Entertaining.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Turtlicious posted:

Halfway through the 2nd Book of The Iron Druid Chronicles and I find it charming, and extremely entertaining. Oberon, (the talking Irish Wolfhound,) is increasingly entertaining, and Atticus reads like a roleplayer out of Scion more then anything. Which I find both hilarious and Entertaining.

I'm asking you this in good faith: is this your first urban fantasy series?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm taking this as the lightest possible recommendation ("it has some similar themes and the titles are both single words, the books are written in english and both titles contain the letters C, E and R!") and I am really looking forward to reading this. Thanks, even if it sucks.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Fart of Presto posted:

A new bundle from StoryBundle, called Women in Sci-Fi is out today

Last year I bought the first book in the Diving series, Diving into the Wreck by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, after reading an interesting review, probably on io9 or SF Signal, but never got around to reading it yet.
Supposedly it's some fun action oriented space opera, but that's all I know.

I liked Crossfire a lot--it's a colony with some very diverse factions dealing with some pretty serious issues plus also aliens. The aliens are interesting though this isn't one of those books that's doing a deep anthropological study of its non-human races, it's far more interested in the very human problems that followed the colony ship from Earth.

Forgotten Suns was on my Amazon wishlist because of some review I read that suggested it was pretty keen, so that bumped the bundle into 'buy' category. I haven't read Starfarers but I've liked everything else I've read by McIntyre. Cat Rambo and Linda Nagata are both authors I want to read as well. Rusch I can usually take or leave--her writing is competent but not inspiring to me. I enjoy her blogging about the publishing (and self-publishing) business much more. The only thing there that gets a real 'meh' from me is the Asaro, as I've never really been able to get into her work. All in all it seems like a pretty good set, much better than the usual for Storybundle.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boneration posted:

I'm asking you this in good faith: is this your first urban fantasy series?

I've read 29 or something Shadowrun novelizations, Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive.

I've read the Fable Comic Books.

49 Animorph Books and counting? (Not recently obviously.)

Also The Child Thief.

A few others here or there. Why do you ask?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Turtlicious posted:

Why do you ask?
Because they're not the best examples of UF and they are really derivative of the Dresden Files. But if you ain't read much UF I can see why you might find them a decent read.

If you enjoy them and you intend to read more UF you're in for a treat assuming you go with some of the recommended authors.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Barbe Rouge posted:

I've already found the series - The Chronicles of Josan by Patricia Bray.

I've read Carol Berg's Lighthouse Duet and they're great. Can't wait for the final book of the Sanctuary Duet.

The funny thing is the Josan series was the first thing that came to mind but I could not, for the life of me, actually remember the name of the books or anyone in it.. or much of the plot other than 'monk with amnesia becomes puppet prince with amnesia' and what the covers looked like.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm a US political history nerd and I loved Declare so you've made this an immediate acquisition for me.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

ShutteredIn posted:

Cat Rambo's shorts are great, she writes beautiful prose for genre fiction.

Rusch writes very solid workmanlike space opera. The Diving books are all really fun.

occamsnailfile posted:

All in all it seems like a pretty good set, much better than the usual for Storybundle.
Yeah, that surprised me a bit too. A lot of these authors I know by name, so I was interested in hearing if these were all duds or good (or at least decent) reads.
I just grabbed the full bundle and if one or two don't click, I can in good conscience skip them.

Thanks for the input :)

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I just started Swan Song by McCannon(McCammon?) and I got a feeling its going end up like the Stand but i'm only 30-50 pages in. I read the very first chapter and had it pegged for late 80s then saw that yea its 1987 and theres a war in Afghanistan and the middleeast is a wreck

Am i going to be disappointed?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I remember it as being pretty drat good. On the other hand that was back when it was new and I was a teenager, so who knows?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Vylan Antagonist posted:

Another possibility is The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley. Amazon kept recommending it incessantly and when I was temporarily between books, I caved. One of the main characters was indeed a prince "hidden away" at a monastery as the book opened. Then Oblivion gates started opening and Martin had the king was assassinated and the prince needed to be recalled.

Edit- Also, maybe Flesh and Spirit by Carol Berg?

I want to be the author who thought ripping off the story of Oblivion in such an unsubtle fashion was a good idea.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

A really good superhero novel is A Once Crowded Sky by Tom King. It deals with a world that used to have superheroes and worked by comic book rules (like one character has emotional problems because his loved ones kept dying and coming back to life) but a big disaster happens and there's only one guy left, a former sidekick who refused the call to action.

I have this ebook and haven't read it yet, but I do have to say just the way it's made is excellent, with not only illustrations, but actual comic panels inserted throughout various parts of the novel and the "dramatis personae" having thumbnail pics for each character. "A Once Crowded Sky" is a pretty cool name too, actually what caught my attention about it originally. Gonna have to bump this to the head of the pile now that I'm reminded of it.

Another good superpower type book I read in the past year is VK Schwab's Vicious. It was a dark, character-driven story about a rivalry between two top student/scientists doing research about how certain people in their world gained powers through near-death experiences. It had a very good pace and plot, and great character development, especially where the powers were concerned.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fart of Presto posted:

I am probably the only person here who owns a copy of Stars. This will hopefully change shortly.

Summary: Janis Ian, the former child prodigy responsible for Society's Child and latter day folk legend, is also a huge SF nut. Much to her surprise, as she's incredibly insecure, she found that a large number of SF writers are huge fans of her. Thus came to pass an anthology of 30-odd stories, all inspired by Janis Ian songs. Like most anthologies it's a curate's egg, but there's a fair amount of interesting stuff in there by people you will have heard of - I think the best known contributor is Charles de Lint.

E: I'm mistaken. The best known contributors are Orson Scott Card, Robert J Sawyer and Stephen Baxter.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 7, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

I want to be the author who thought ripping off the story of Oblivion in such an unsubtle fashion was a good idea.

I haven't read it, but 'unwanted royal heir raised as a monk (usually but not always with secret kung fu/magic powers/evil gods/conspiracies/ancient prophecies/all of the above)' is actually a decently common trope, even before Oblivion. From what I've heard of the book, it doesn't have much in common with Oblivion other than that, too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Fart of Presto posted:

A new bundle from StoryBundle, called Women in Sci-Fi is out today

$5 gives you
  • Crossfire by Nancy Kress
  • Memory by Linda Nagata
  • Recovering Apollo 8 by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
  • Near + Far by Cat Rambo
  • The Phoenix Code by Catherine Asaro
$15 also gives you
  • Starfarers by Vonda N. McIntyre
  • The Diving Bundle by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
  • Forgotten Suns by Judith Tarr
  • Strong Arm Tactics by Jody Lynn Nye
  • Stars - The Anthology by edited by Janis Ian and Mike Resnick
Last year I bought the first book in the Diving series, Diving into the Wreck by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, after reading an interesting review, probably on io9 or SF Signal, but never got around to reading it yet.
Supposedly it's some fun action oriented space opera, but that's all I know.

I got this one. I'm currently reading Recovering Apollo 8, which is a short story but so far absolutely excellent. I've been genuinely choked up a couple of times already which is impressive less than halfway through a 65 page piece.

I'm mildly addicted to Storybundle, but in my defence, I've got two weeks holiday coming up and an e-reader.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So, does anyone remember the Julian May book series of the Pliocene Saga and the related Milieu Trilogy? They turned up in my Amazon recommendations, and I'm looking to get them again. I remember loving them when I was in HS (and far less critical of what I read) when they were first put out in paperback by Del-Ray and had amazing Michael Whelan cover art. I'll write up on whether they stood the test of time and my fully developed cynicism if anyone's interested.

Related awesome Whelan cover-art of the Non Born King (Pliocene 3):

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Victorkm posted:

Jesus christ what is wrong with you Craig Schaefer! So many books so fast. Is this 5 in 2 years in just this series alone?

So he's the urban fantasy Brandon Sanderson book-writing robot. I'm on board with this.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea. Dude writes like crazy. Thankfully no d&d feelings to the books though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

platero posted:

So he's the urban fantasy Brandon Sanderson book-writing robot. I'm on board with this.

I think he's better than Sanderson, honestly. Less complex worldbuilding, but he can introduce what worldbuilding he's done without sounding like he's reading from the Player's Handbook.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Wolpertinger posted:

I haven't read it, but 'unwanted royal heir raised as a monk (usually but not always with secret kung fu/magic powers/evil gods/conspiracies/ancient prophecies/all of the above)' is actually a decently common trope, even before Oblivion. From what I've heard of the book, it doesn't have much in common with Oblivion other than that, too.

Eh I am aware of that it was more the Emperor's Blades bit coupled with that plot hook that made me think... drat that not really subtle.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

flosofl posted:

So, does anyone remember the Julian May book series of the Pliocene Saga and the related Milieu Trilogy? They turned up in my Amazon recommendations, and I'm looking to get them again. I remember loving them when I was in HS (and far less critical of what I read) when they were first put out in paperback by Del-Ray and had amazing Michael Whelan cover art. I'll write up on whether they stood the test of time and my fully developed cynicism if anyone's interested.

Related awesome Whelan cover-art of the Non Born King (Pliocene 3):

I still have that book, and the others. Like you I adored them back in the nineties, I've revisited them a couple times since then. They're not half bad, although the series could probably have used a few more female characters. Aiken Drum us a pretty awesome character.

I could have handled a bit more resolution in the end but open questions are fun too,

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Has anyone read Seveneves by Stephenson? I read the Kindle sample and it seems interesting.

Really enjoying Rainbows End right now, thanks to whoever recommended it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Martello posted:

Has anyone read Seveneves by Stephenson? I read the Kindle sample and it seems interesting.

I plowed through it, yeah. It's a stiff angular read, full of exposition blocks and thin characters. But I enjoyed it! I'm a sucker for anything like Kerbal Space Program, and the story's a pretty compelling ride. The joy in the book comes from the same place as the terror — the human race is on very thin ice, every death and loss of resources is a huge blow, and things just keep getting worse.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Martello posted:

It's alright. As a series of What Ifs it's interesting, as a series of plot points it's coherent and sometimes cool, but after knowing the sequence of events I have zero desire to read it again. There's not much to the characters or even the setting, crazy as it becomes. The prose is lackluster. The narrative has essentially no breathing room - 98% of the sentences in the book either directly move the plot forward or are expository. He created a world that could have all sorts of cool/impactful vignettes and "side" scenes, but he hardly explores it.

Maybe I'm just spoiled, I've been on a major KSR kick lately. Who else writes "literary" sci-fi on a level like him? Besides, like, LeGuin?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
KSR?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Martello posted:

It has three parts of varying quality -- part one, in which a tiny fraction of the human species gets their rear end to space, is great; part two, in which Hillary Fiorina kills almost all of them using Politics, was mercifully short, and part 3, 5000 Years After, was implausible fantasy bullshit.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Maybe I'm just spoiled, I've been on a major KSR kick lately. Who else writes "literary" sci-fi on a level like him? Besides, like, LeGuin?

Banks, I guess. Mieville has a lot of literary firepower.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Jeff VanderMeer

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Yeah, I'll second Banks -- that's the closest thing I can think of.

Kim Stanley Robinson.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Martello posted:

Really enjoying Rainbows End right now, thanks to whoever recommended it.

Seveneves got really infodumpy toward the end. One of those that would be much better minus 200 pages. Otherwise it was decent.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Velius posted:

I still have that book, and the others. Like you I adored them back in the nineties, I've revisited them a couple times since then. They're not half bad, although the series could probably have used a few more female characters. Aiken Drum us a pretty awesome character.

I could have handled a bit more resolution in the end but open questions are fun too,

Yeah I'll second all that, I have (most of) both series. They're not as good as I thought they were when I was a teenager, but they're still pretty good.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Mièville for sure. He's leaps and bounds ahead of most sci-fi writers from a literary perspective. Embassytown in particular is not only an excellent piece of literature but also a fascinating exploration of the nature of language.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Eleanor Arnason and Ted Chiang, though both of them are more into short stories. Chiang's never published a novel, while Arnason has written a few, a while ago, which are still pretty great. Adam Roberts.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The Strugatsky Brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
I just finished Ancillary Justice , the first of Anne Leckie's debut trilogy and it owned. I have not actually read that much so I figured the Hugo Award winner would be a safe place to start and it was. The world is super immersive and she does a great job of conveying the emotions of the protagonist. The only complaint I have is the repeated "ugh but I have so many options and they all lead to unknown/doom" summaries that seemed to crop up every other chapter towards the end of the book once it all kicked off. However the idea of the ancillaries/ships was lots of fun to read about and I'm psyched to read book two when it arrives.