Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Papercut posted:

The vast majority of comments on SFGate are not from San Franciscans or even likely Californians. Just by being SF, the articles are used as clickbait on all of the worst of conservative internet forums/sites. It's like 99% trolls.

Fair point. News articles always attract the worst conservative retards in existance. Even Berkeleyside gets a fair amount of them and usually its them being angry at the reporters for not mentioning race in some crime article or something stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how up their asses San Franciscans get about how progressive they are, then turn around and act FYGM as gently caress when it comes to affordable housing or homeless issues.

The bay area is poo poo, hth.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Cicero posted:

They're in those cities because that's where most good developers are or want to live.
When the 100k jobs are in Kansas, shockingly the nerds would flock ot Kansas.

A lot of people have no interest in living in Seattle (wah! the rain!), they follow the jobs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cicero posted:

:lol:

Yeah, because Google could totally move their headquarters to Nebraska and get everyone to move there. Google, Amazon, et al. aren't in the expensive, desirable cities because they love having to pay expensive office rents and huge salaries to match housing costs in the area. They're in those cities because that's where most good developers are or want to live.

I don't think Redmond Washington was that desirable of a location pre-Microsoft.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
As if most Devs arent autistic minecraft/WoW shutins. :smug:

"I moved to SanFran for the culture".

Its like software companies fleeing to Austin. Magically people apply for the jobs in Austin.

I think Cicero is the guy who "has good friends who are real estate developers" and really wants to see them get richer in the bay area though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FRINGE posted:

Except that this has proven not to happen. Companies have tried it, over and over. I've even worked for a couple of them, in areas far from the Bay Area and Massachusetts. What happens is that some great developers move (or are natives, in most cases) and are very happy. Then you try recruiting, and you find out that C-level executives don't want to move away from home (seriously, large percentages of company-headquarter moves go near to the CEO's homes), that other skilled roles are paranoid -- what happens if I move to Kansas to work for this company and hate it? -- and that many developers have spouses who can't find jobs outside the high-tech centers.

I've seen what happens when you work for a rural-based company, and the company goes under. No, thank you, to being stranded in Kansas with no other job opportunities, not much networking, and housing to sell in a depressed market. I had a high-tech co-worker who bought in Phoenix after being posted to the company's office there. When the company closed that office, he was stuck underwater on an unsellable condo.

It's not as easy as "if you build it, they will come." All of that said, the Bay Area needs to get off its high horse and build more high-density housing, and it's blocked by NIMBY.

computer parts posted:

I don't think Redmond Washington was that desirable of a location pre-Microsoft.
(A) Redmond is part of the Seattle metropolitan area, which is desirable, and (B) for many years working for Microsoft and keeping your job was a promise of getting rich.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

FRINGE posted:

A few would. Most would not. Again, Googlers are so pro 'real city' that they're willing to pay a huge price and commute premium to get that. Do you really think Google is run by mustache twirling villains who know that they COULD get devs somewhere cheaper but are conspiring to raise rents in all the popular cities against their own interests? Your argument is unsubstantiated and nonsensical.

Also lol @ "100k jobs".

quote:

A lot of people have no interest in living in Seattle (wah! the rain!), they follow the jobs.
Seattle rain isn't that bad and actually tons of people love Seattle. I see posts here or on Reddit about people moving from flyover states to the PacNW all the time for the culture.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cicero posted:

Seattle rain isn't that bad and actually tons of people love Seattle. I see posts here or on Reddit about people moving from flyover states to the PacNW all the time for the culture.
My athletic nerd friends love the place. Kayaking, hiking, skiing, all within short drives -- sign them up.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Even boring non-tech companies are part of a trend now to relocate from suburban office parks to the city, but no, they're all part of a grand conspiracy to enrich landowners and developers everywhere I'm sure:
https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc/news/commercial-real-estate/breaking-news--marriott-picks-new-site-for-headquarters-44448#ath

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My athletic nerd friends love the place. Kayaking, hiking, skiing, all within short drives -- sign them up.

Yeah and that's all in Idaho too but you don't see mass migration there (and there's even some tech companies like Micron and (for a while) HP ).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Out of all the people who work on the same feature as me in Mountain View (maybe 8 or so?) I'm the only serious nerd gamer. A couple more play games casually I think and the rest don't really care.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

Fair point. News articles always attract the worst conservative retards in existance. Even Berkeleyside gets a fair amount of them and usually its them being angry at the reporters for not mentioning race in some crime article or something stupid.

It's really obvious in articles about LGBT, immigration, and popular local figures or policies.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

computer parts posted:

Yeah and that's all in Idaho too but you don't see mass migration there (and there's even some tech companies like Micron and (for a while) HP ).
Outdoorsiness is a nice amenity but insufficient by itself. I think the main things that attract developers are momentum (ie already having a critical mass of developers) and a progressive city vibe/amenities. The latter is probably why you see stronger tech growth in Boulder (where Google has a dev office and is expanding) and not, say, Boise. Of course, having a very strong research university to recruit from also helps.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cicero posted:

Outdoorsiness is a nice amenity but insufficient by itself. I think the main things that attract developers are momentum (ie already having a critical mass of developers) and a progressive city vibe/amenities. The latter is probably why you see stronger tech growth in Boulder (where Google has a dev office and is expanding) and not, say, Boise. Of course, having a very strong research university to recruit from also helps.
I forget if it's been disproven yet, but there was a study a couple of years back that to generate a core, self-sustaining group of "creatives" (including artists and musicians, not just software folks), you need an environment where LGBT people, nonwhite people, non gender-conforming people, and so on, can hang out in relative comfort; you also need some sort of down-town where people can walk around and hang out. Hence Austin being a minor high-tech core rather than Dallas/Fort Worth. You also do need multiple employers, not just one big employer, to make people feel comfortable committing their professional and personal lives to an unfamiliar area. I don't see high-tech moving to Kansas, with its burn-salt-and-irradiate the-earth tax system, any time soon.

e: To expand, even millennials who aren't artsy themselves prefer living in a community that has artists, musicians, and so on. Having nothing to do but hit a bar or go to a movie gets dull fast.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I saw a bunch of protestors angry about rising rents in Mountain View yesterday.

It was unclear exactly what they wanted though -- Mountain View has been starting housing projects like crazy since renters took over the city council from the NIMBY crowd about two years ago. Rowhouses and dense three story condo complexes have been going up around downtown, and even Google's planned new offices project was rejected because it didn't have enough housing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

The commenters on Palo Alto Online are however not trolls and actually that awful of human beings.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

The commenters on Palo Alto Online are however not trolls and actually that awful of human beings.

Same with Berkeleyside.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

For what it's worth, most techies I've talked to want more housing stock just as much as us non-techie filth do, if only to make apartment searching less of an absolute nightmare and to keep their favorite quirky authentic dive bars from closing down due to the owners no longer being able to afford SF.

The real blight upon the Bay and the strongest opponents to development are myopic, selfish, property-owning boomers, just like the rest of the country. Because God forbid the million dollar home that you bought for 100k depreciates one red cent in value just so a young poor can afford a studio.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ProperGanderPusher posted:

For what it's worth, most techies I've talked to want more housing stock just as much as us non-techie filth do, if only to make apartment searching less of an absolute nightmare and to keep their favorite quirky authentic dive bars from closing down due to the owners no longer being able to afford SF.

Being one of those techies who lives/works in the bay area (granted south bay, which makes me lower than dirt to SF techies :v:) I can tell you first hand that I have to deal with a lot of libertarian shitheels as co-workers. A trio of mid 20's people I work with rent an apartment in SF for something like $6k/month, but think rent controls are bullshit and that if poor people can't afford to live in a gentrified neighborhood anymore, they should suck it up because that's the free market. :shrug: I also have to regularly hear millennials my own age bitch about taxes/welfare/"loving homeless people"/etc. Meanwhile, they turn around and are vocally pro LGBT.

Fiscal politics aren't generational - they're determined by personal wealth, and the wealth of the people around you. Meanwhile, social politics are mostly generational. So you have an ever growing number of young people in the bay area who are making enough to go full blown FYGM mode when it comes to money politics, but still turn up to pride parades and Black Lives Matter events. It's honestly kinda surreal.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sydin posted:

Fiscal politics aren't generational - they're determined by personal wealth, and the wealth of the people around you. Meanwhile, social politics are mostly generational. So you have an ever growing number of young people in the bay area who are making enough to go full blown FYGM mode when it comes to money politics, but still turn up to pride parades and Black Lives Matter events. It's honestly kinda surreal.

Black Lives Matter (except here).

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

Being one of those techies who lives/works in the bay area (granted south bay, which makes me lower than dirt to SF techies :v:) I can tell you first hand that I have to deal with a lot of libertarian shitheels as co-workers. A trio of mid 20's people I work with rent an apartment in SF for something like $6k/month, but think rent controls are bullshit and that if poor people can't afford to live in a gentrified neighborhood anymore, they should suck it up because that's the free market. :shrug: I also have to regularly hear millennials my own age bitch about taxes/welfare/"loving homeless people"/etc. Meanwhile, they turn around and are vocally pro LGBT.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Said techie friends are still libertarians with overall shitlordian economic views. They just don't want the culture totally drained from *their* chic neighborhoods, plus the apartment search has gotten to the point where it's a pain in the rear end to find somewhere even if you have a decent amount of money.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sydin posted:

Being one of those techies who lives/works in the bay area (granted south bay, which makes me lower than dirt to SF techies :v:) I can tell you first hand that I have to deal with a lot of libertarian shitheels as co-workers.

I was asked what the worst thing about my previous employer was, and I always said "If I never have to meet another 25-year-old Stanford libertarian, that will be just fine with me." They exemplify the "born on third base, think they hit a triple" mindset.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Sydin posted:

I don't think I've met any hardcore libertarian techies where I work. Maybe it just hasn't come up, though.

Besides, the ridiculous housing costs aren't from the free market at all. A free market would let developers actually build tall where there was sufficient demand.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

computer parts posted:

I was up there a while back and considered getting a job at micron just because of the housing prices. Idaho's gorgeous.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I have tech friends from CA and WA that have moved to each of Idaho, Colorado, and Texas as jobs opened up. The idea that the only solution is to bulldoze and rebuild because a big company would like that is not the only solution.

I am not (and never have been) one to defend rear end in a top hat boomers. Ignoring the "we plopped out poo poo down now gently caress you" attitude of Amazon is just as bad though. All you have to do is look at a map and its obvious that Seattle and SF were choices that would lead to bad outcomes for the "stupid selfish poors" compared to SJ, Redmond, or (hopefully in the future) vast swaths of less constricted space in other parts of the country.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Bip Roberts posted:

Same with Berkeleyside.

They really are. It's almost non-stop bitching about ~~~~PENSION!~~~~, "black" people comitting too many crimes!, homeless people making the downtown bad!, infrastructure is failing!, city taxes are TOO HIGH (ignoring the irony of the previous) and if you bring up Prop 13 w/r/t infrastructure failing they just go and on about loving pensions. It's infuriating. Like it's local enough that it doesn't get linked to conservative poo poo, so you think it would be better but no, it's not.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ron Jeremy posted:

I was up there a while back and considered getting a job at micron just because of the housing prices. Idaho's gorgeous.

It is, but it's very...far away from everything else. I might retire there if I can't do so in the Caribbean.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

computer parts posted:

It is, but it's very...far away from everything else. I might retire there if I can't do so in the Caribbean.

I wish it was at least in northern Idaho instead. Coeur d'alene/Spokane is pretty and there are some things to do (plenty for a boring techie shut-in) and Moscow is a decent university town.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

FRINGE posted:

I have tech friends from CA and WA that have moved to each of Idaho, Colorado, and Texas as jobs opened up. The idea that the only solution is to bulldoze and rebuild because a big company would like that is not the only solution.
No, the solution is to allow developers to bulldoze and rebuild when more human beings want to live there. Whether they want to live there because of company expansion or better culture or superior weather or the best pride parade is irrelevant.

quote:

I am not (and never have been) one to defend rear end in a top hat boomers. Ignoring the "we plopped out poo poo down now gently caress you" attitude of Amazon is just as bad though. All you have to do is look at a map and its obvious that Seattle and SF were choices that would lead to bad outcomes for the "stupid selfish poors" compared to SJ, Redmond, or (hopefully in the future) vast swaths of less constricted space in other parts of the country.
We've hit the point where some on the left are complaining about too much high-paying job growth. Incredible.

:argh: Companies don't pay enough and outsource everything to China because they're greedy! :argh:

:argh: Companies pay too much and should stop concentrating jobs in progressive American cities where their employees want to live! :argh:

None of the hip, successful companies want to go to red states and red cities! You should be celebrating this as a great victory, not discouraging it!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cicero posted:

We've hit the point where some on the left are complaining about too much high-paying job growth. Incredible.

:argh: Companies don't pay enough and outsource everything to China because they're greedy! :argh:

:argh: Companies pay too much and should stop concentrating jobs in progressive American cities where their employees want to live! :argh:

None of the hip, successful companies want to go to red states and red cities! You should be celebrating this as a great victory, not discouraging it!

It becomes an issue when you force out poor people so rich people can live there instead.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cicero posted:

No, the solution is to allow developers to bulldoze and rebuild when more human beings want to live there.

Did you know that there is 1,017 acres of prime undeveloped land in San Fransisco that could be used for housing if it wasn't for NIMBY FYGM locals demanding that the land be kept as is because they want to keep the neighborhood the way it was when they moved it!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

computer parts posted:

It becomes an issue when you force out poor people so rich people can live there instead.

Those poor people should just go somewhere else!! If the freemarket says they can't live here, then they should move!!! How about Oklahoma or Detroit? It's cheap there! Why do they so entitled and feel like its a human right to stay in their home, it's NOT!! Why must poor people ruin my world-class city and prevent it from becoming the best possible city ever? They're ruining it for the rest of us

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xaris posted:

Those poor people should just go somewhere else!! If the freemarket says they can't live here, then they should move!!! How about Oklahoma or Detroit? It's cheap there! Why must poor people ruin my world-class city and prevent it from becoming the best possible city ever? They're ruining it for the rest of us

After all, there's more homes than homeless people so we should relocate them over there.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Liberals has often wept over the fate of the aborigines of this city and rent control has long been busily employed in devising means to avert it, but its progress has never for a moment been arrested, and one by one have many working natives disappeared from the earth. … But true rent control reconciles the mind to these vicissitudes as it does to the extinction of one generation to make room for another. ... Rent control could not wish to see this city restored to the condition in which it was found by our forefathers. What good man would prefer a city covered with poors and ranged by a few thousand savages to our extensive rich playground, studded with coffee shops, indoor mini-golf, and prosperous farm to table restaurants, embellished with all the improvements which technology can devise or industry execute, occupied by more than 800,000 happy people, and filled with all the blessings of liberty, civilization, and technology?

Andrew Jackson did nothing wrong and we need a modern day Andrew Jackson to re-open the trail of happiness :colbert:

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 9, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Xaris posted:

Andrew Jackson did nothing wrong and we need a modern day Andrew Jackson to re-open the trail of happiness :colbert:
All praise Bezos. Hallowed be His Name. Bow before Page. Bringer of All Good Things.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Xaris posted:

It's like those stupid native-americans. They thought they had the right, the RIGHT, to live where they did. I mean can you believe that? How loving entitled can you be? People back then really knew how to get stuff done. Life was much better then.

Andrew Jackson did nothing wrong and we need a modern day Andrew Jackson to re-open the trail of happiness

Ahahahahaha, I mean I know they call themselves Native San Fransiscans, but come on. Are you really saying that the Google Buses are the modern day smallpox blankets?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Woah woah woah no. That's too extreme. Even Jackson didn't want to kill indians. We just want them to relocate to someplace cheaper like the freemarket says they should, like Oklahoma. I hear it's nice over there. Is that too much to ask for?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Xaris posted:

Woah woah woah no. That's too extreme. Even Jackson didn't want to kill indians. We just want them to relocate to someplace cheaper like the freemarket says they should, like Oklahoma. I hear it's nice over there. Is that too much to ask for?

Oh no, you're actually doubling down on San Francisco Natives are a Sovereign Nation. They're not. They're just a bunch of schmucks. Just like anywhere else. They do not use every part of the buffalo. Theirs is not a deeply spiritual connection to the land. They produce no Sequoyahs. They are not a protected Noble Savage, nor are they a special Endangered Species.

In fact, they're just the assholes who pushed out the last assholes, in the Circle of Assholes Complaining About The Latest Assholes that is San Francisco.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Let's just agree that the entire bay area is complete poo poo in general, it's easier.

Seriously though, the job is here for the time being, but as soon as my roomies graduate next summer I'm getting the gently caress out of dodge. I'm sick of paying one of the highest CoL's in the nation to be surrounded by lovely people, a lovely culture, and the worst designed freeways on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

computer parts posted:

Yeah, so maybe we should build more housing (and more transit and raise the minimum wage) so that you can have the poor AND the rich? It's not like the bay area is really that densely populated overall.