Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
There's a few decent guys in your party like Terry and Shockmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I mean it's certainly not lighthearted at all but it is one of the most consistently funny games I've played.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if my guy got kidnapped during a campout around where you get the bike how far into the game am i going to go to find the gang that has him?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Real hurthling! posted:

if my guy got kidnapped during a campout around where you get the bike how far into the game am i going to go to find the gang that has him?

easiest thing is to check the empty bar near the first hub with blue rockets on the wall outside. if he isn't there, you have a long way to wait. otherwise, he's in there

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Modus Pwnens posted:

I mean it's certainly not lighthearted at all but it is one of the most consistently funny games I've played.

I think LISA is the only game that claims to take inspiration from Earthbound that actually nails the writing - both funny and heartrending - to the same level Earthbound does.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXsMG3T5xGY

I kind of want to play through this trailer's build.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Internet Kraken posted:

Maybe he thought it was gonna be a black comedy where terrible stuff happens but all the characters are awful people so you don't feel bad laughing at them.

Which is kind of true. Almost everyone in LISA is awful, just not for funny reasons. Pretty sad that Rando is probably the nicest guy in the game when you think about it.

Kind of this, I thought it was a cartoon violence kind of thing, I was pretty shocked by how bad poo poo is going downhill.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Deki posted:

Kind of this, I thought it was a cartoon violence kind of thing, I was pretty shocked by how bad poo poo is going downhill.

The start of the game is really dark, it takes a little while for it to lighten up a bit. If I remember right it's Huge Bummer > Terry Hintz is goofy > More Huge Bummer > Chill guy who gives you soup and a bed, then the game opens up a lot and you can see that the world is more "weird, often unpleasant" rather than "constant misery". Even when it does get better it will continue to swerve back and forth between extremely depressing scenes and extremely funny ones, sometimes separated by a single doorway. How far did you get through it?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Pigbuster posted:

The start of the game is really dark, it takes a little while for it to lighten up a bit. If I remember right it's Huge Bummer > Terry Hintz is goofy > More Huge Bummer > Chill guy who gives you soup and a bed, then the game opens up a lot and you can see that the world is more "weird, often unpleasant" rather than "constant misery". Even when it does get better it will continue to swerve back and forth between extremely depressing scenes and extremely funny ones, sometimes separated by a single doorway. How far did you get through it?

also don't eat the soup or sleep in the bed. as a matter of fact, any time it seems like someone is being kind or altruistic towards you, just walk away

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXsMG3T5xGY

I kind of want to play through this trailer's build.

I was legitimately let down the main game didn't have the crawling jump thing.

There is a Kickstarter demo which is what some of the footage in that is taken from; You have Sticky, Rick and Cheeks instead of the full game's party.

Deki posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XRA8LYFLZs

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Pigbuster posted:

I just got to the part where you savagely beat the poo poo out of and almost certainly kill Rick

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Deki posted:

I just got to the part where you savagely beat the poo poo out of and almost certainly kill Rick

He deserved it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
For that part I kept punching rick because I didnt wanna beat him with the stick

It didn't work

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
People keep saying Brad is a failure but in the end how many middle-aged men used his dead sister standin to get their dicks wet under the pretense that they were saving humanity or whatever? Zero. gently caress the police.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

pon alien posted:

People keep saying Brad is a failure but in the end how many middle-aged men used his dead sister standin to get their dicks wet under the pretense that they were saving humanity or whatever? Zero. gently caress the police.

it's heavily implied that Sticky actually got sticky with Buddy. are you just assuming that didn't actually happen because there's a degree of plausible deniability? i assumed that it definitely happened because that would be the worst possible outcome for Brad and the entire game is one successive series of gently caress YOUs to Brad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think it happened and don't remember it being implied anywhere outside of Brad's hallucination where he was of course assuming the worst possible outcome.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well Brad was over-dosing on Joy during that scene, it's entirely possible he just assumed something happened that didn't.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing that dick head got intimate with was a powerful blast of wulin fire.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure in the scene where you confront Sticky and Rick he says something along the lines of "She's not your gift, she's humanity's gift... I made sure of it."

Regardless, Sticky was killed by burning spirit and Brad became a literal, horrible monster. Such is Lisa.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

homeless poster posted:

it's heavily implied that Sticky actually got sticky with Buddy. are you just assuming that didn't actually happen because there's a degree of plausible deniability? i assumed that it definitely happened because that would be the worst possible outcome for Brad and the entire game is one successive series of gently caress YOUs to Brad.

Sticky's dialogue in that scene actually got changed a few times with patches. I don't have the comparison image on me but if you google around you might be able to find it.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just going to go ahead and say it: Brad Armstrong was right.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

pon alien posted:

I'm just going to go ahead and say it: Brad Armstrong was right.

He was wrong because he objectified Buddy just as much as everyone except possibly Marty and Rando.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Brad is right because Lisa is a Mad Max wasteland and as such might makes right. The only person who is more right than Brad is Buzzo.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Demon X is also very right: the Salvation Rangers suck.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Brad is right because Buddy is like 10 years old holy poo poo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Brad is right and has good intentions but is ultimately too hosed up to be a proper parent, which is why Buddy ends up resenting him. He can't protect her because he can't protect himself when he keeps caving into his drug addiction.

This is why Brad is my favorite protagonist. Very rarely do you get a main character who is flawed in such a realistic way. You want to see Brad succeed because you know he's a good guy that just had a hosed up life, but things are so out of his control that he can't. Watching it all spiral downhill for him is horribly painful. The part where Buddy tells him nobody has hurt her more than him is just awful. :smith:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Iserlohn posted:

Pretty sure in the scene where you confront Sticky and Rick he says something along the lines of "She's not your gift, she's humanity's gift... I made sure of it."

there's that, and there's Buddy's serious reluctance to talk to Brad about what happened when you find her in the cave behind the McDonalds and unless i am halucinating, there also some extremely leading dialogue when you encounter her again on the island with Marty. I know the game never literally says what happened, but the multiple instances of foreshadowing are way too heavyhanded for it to turn out that really all sticky did was explain to her how a tampon works or whatever.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
I guess I'll throw in some impressions of my own -

Buddy's strange eagerness to be Olathe's broodmare made me really uncomfortable, and I'm pretty sure I have "uncle" Sticky to thank for that. Urgh.
The thing I resent Buzzo for, more than anything else, is something that was largely underplayed - he got Buddy hooked on the Joy.
One of the most saddening things in the whole game is that Brad never actually realized who Rando was.
Dr. Yado is basically an unusually low-key Resident Evil villain.

Okay, that's what I've got, for now. Let me know if my spoiler tags are too weird or out-of-place, I don't know what is considered safe to talk about, at this point.

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 22, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

homeless poster posted:

there's that, and there's Buddy's serious reluctance to talk to Brad about what happened when you find her in the cave behind the McDonalds and unless i am halucinating, there also some extremely leading dialogue when you encounter her again on the island with Marty. I know the game never literally says what happened, but the multiple instances of foreshadowing are way too heavyhanded for it to turn out that really all sticky did was explain to her how a tampon works or whatever.
Sticky is also really fricking smug about it, like if he was just giving her a nice parental talk about the birds and the bees I don't he think he would have acted like that. I killed them both without a second thought.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I recall Buddy trying to tell Brad he didn't hurt her he just showed her things. You can still can assume the worst and Brad sure as hell did, I think it's because you are still infuriated at the thought of it ever as a possibly.

In happier news the ETA for Joyful is the 28th of August. It will have multiple endings for those not satisfied my the original no choice ending.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Jeedy Jay posted:

The thing I resent Buzzo for, more than anything else, is something that was largely underplayed - he got Buddy hooked on the Joy.

uh, what? how did you come to that conclusion? in the scene where he's shoving it down Brad's throat, he's doing it explicitly to push Buddy away from Brad. what made you think Buddy is using too?

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
Because she's got a bunch of Joy pills when she's with Marty (saying they "make you feel good" when he asks what they are), and is surrounded by them in a Brad-style "after-bender" scene when Mutant Brad is approaching her at the very end. I assume it was Buzzo because he's the only motherfucker distributing the stuff.

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 22, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Something of note: After the final battle against Rando when Brad is dying, if you inspect his corpse it has a different message than every other corpse in the game. My guess is Rando might have survived, but dies saving Buddy from mutant Brad at the start of "The Joyful". Also possibly vaguely relevant, is the flower Brad carried throughout the game is growing by the path to Rando/Buddy's house.

Which is possibly an even more grim start than The Painful RPG had.

Jeedy Jay posted:

I guess I'll throw in some impressions of my own -

Buddy's strange eagerness to be Olathe's broodmare made me really uncomfortable, and I'm pretty sure I have "uncle" Sticky to thank for that. Urgh.

I don't think it's strange. I mean, I'd imagine he phrased it less "we are going to lock you up and violate you horribly every day" and more "Guess what? There's only ONE person who can save all of humanity! And it's you! You're the most important person in ALL OF HISTORY!"

One thing I do wonder about, though. Rick and Sticky obviously survived, but Cheeks dies at the beginning of the game when Terry and Brad return to Brad's place. Who exactly was supposed to have attacked them? I feel like the implication is it's supposed to be Buzzo's crew, but there's no masks. Some random gang? I guess? It also was very clearly not the Rando army. I kind of wonder if Rick and Sticky wanted to go against Brad and Cheeks didn't?

homeless poster posted:

there's that, and there's Buddy's serious reluctance to talk to Brad about what happened when you find her in the cave behind the McDonalds

Buddy was clearly not happy with Brad at that point, having run away from him, and he was yelling at her. I agree that it's leading but I feel like that's more trying to get you into Brad's mindset of 'you can't trust ANYONE' as opposed to it 100% being something.

pon alien posted:

Brad is right because Lisa is a Mad Max wasteland and as such might makes right. The only person who is more right than Brad is Buzzo.

What about Mike Satan

Internet Kraken posted:

Watching it all spiral downhill for him is horribly painful. The part where Buddy tells him nobody has hurt her more than him is just awful. :smith:

The option 'leave him' absolutely crushed me.

Something that might help a tiny bit is that she's wearing Brad's poncho.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 22, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

sticky very obviously only gave buddy the birds and the bees, because when brad presses her on it she says "we only talked."

it's framed like something more happened because that is how brad sees the situation, but the plain fact is right there. brad however, naturally assumes the worst, because that's the kind of guy he is about buddy and that isn't exactly a low stress situation, especially since he'd already been "betrayed" by sticky and rick, and the few times people talk about it they're a little vague about it and brad's already made up his mind about it so he doesn't make anyone plainly spell it out for him.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

also, with Rando she arguably wouldn't have been kept in a rape-dungeon or anything, mostly depending on how close an eye Rando was able to keep on her. The man had the power to take on Buzzo and handily win, and was probably the nicest person in Olathe. Of course, as soon as his back is turned, his followers aren't exactly kept under a tight leash.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Just beat the game, now give me the sequel goddamnit.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVGGud3dF8c

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is the gimmick of this game that you don't have any party members?

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Oh man that's DEFINITELY Buzzer at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

So is the gimmick of this game that you don't have any party members?

I'd suspected that'd be the case but I think the "All Alone" confirmed it.

I'm also really interested in how "Hawk Hollywood" and "Buff Van Dyke" are on what appears to be Buddy's kill list. I'm guessing they're the various post-Rando warlords, but shouldn't they be dead already?

Amorphous Blob posted:

Oh man that's DEFINITELY Buzzer at the end.

Honestly? My bet is that it's Rando. If you inspect his corpse it doesn't say "he's dead" like every other corpse- It says something like "He's done fighting...". The one other corpse in the game that isn't dead is a guy who comes back later. Note that the terrain of the area is the same colour as Rando island, and while she has Brad's poncho, none of the trailer scenes have Buddy in Rando's mask yet.

Most notably, there's a reoccuring pattern in the trailer, like Buzzo's grinning faces and Rando's red skulls. Polka dots. :ohdear:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 9, 2015

• Locked thread