Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

tsob posted:

I think the other shoe is more likely to be the fact that Gelsadra has become a benevolent dictator by dissolving the rest of the government and while yea, he's all smiles at the moment and taking on everyone's opinions what happens when everyone is looking to do something he doesn't agree with? He's all about unity, but he's also all about avoiding conflict, so if people are pushing for a conflict of some kind it might be the snapping point for him.
I think there's another possible direction here that would be more interesting though - the tyranny of the majority. I wish I had more of a history background from school so I'd know anything about the subject. All of his actions so far are pleasant changes that are likely to please the masses and seem inoffensive, and the public's reaction is depicted as being what you'd expect - they really don't care, and if it sounds good, they'll vote for it. So maybe where this goes is that the public generally will be on his side, but the impact of his decisions will make it impossible to please everyone and he'll get impatient. At that point, I wonder where it goes... the grandpa's objection seems to be along these lines - that some people just want (or need) intrinsically contradictory things, so you can't give them both what they want, even if neither of them are 'wrong'. Gel's measure of 'rightness' so far seems to be entirely based on popular opinion, which ties in with Rizumu's argument about apes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not even 2 minutes in and Hajime has already figured out Tsubasa's problem. Also, I kind of suspect that if uniting people in aggression against a common enemy ends up being what Gel resorts to, it seems more likely that Gel will try to unite people against himself rather than against Crowds or the gatchas.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 9, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think the meanings of the bubbles are getting clearer. Pointy bubbles indicate agitation of some sort. Purple is sadness or disappointment. Yellow and orange are happiness or joy or friendliness. Blue and green look to be neutral and black is malice. Grey is still a mystery, but it might be a sort of contentment or inner peace.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Grey is still a mystery, but it might be a sort of contentment or inner peace.

Possibly, but the most crucial trait is that those whose "thoughts" are grey are unchanging; their thoughts aren't swayed by Gel's actions, which makes people like Hajime and Tsubasa's grandfather antithetical to his mission. Considering that both Katze and Gel's philosophies are taken to absolute extremes when describing the planets they've previously visited-obliteration and complete unity respectively-Gel would not want people like this to exist. But then, what would he do about it?

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 9, 2015

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I like how the scene with Tsubasa's grandfather played out exactly how it would in a normal show, because the older generation doesn't understand young people! They don't know what it's like to fight for peace!

...and then once Tsubasa's done yelling about how he doesn't understand what it's like to fight in the real world, there's a momentary shot of her grandfather looking at the funeral shrine for his brother the soldier.

That's a pretty beautiful response to such a typical scene.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Einander posted:

I like how the scene with Tsubasa's grandfather played out exactly how it would in a normal show, because the older generation doesn't understand young people! They don't know what it's like to fight for peace!

...and then once Tsubasa's done yelling about how he doesn't understand what it's like to fight in the real world, there's a momentary shot of her grandfather looking at the funeral shrine for his brother the soldier.

That's a pretty beautiful response to such a typical scene.

It's also a pretty unsettling implication about what lengths Gel, or any leader, might go to in order to unite people. Any country in time of war or desperation may do horrifying things in order to drive patriotism and support. The US did some pretty lovely things to prevent the loss of morale by way of war protestors during the World Wars, to say nothing of the social conditioning practiced by Imperial Japan upon its people and especially its prospective military officers and soldiers in the lead-up to their 1931 invasion of Asia.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 9, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You know what, gently caress it. I'm not even going to try to predict where this story is going to go, because I will certainly be wrong. The garden of Eden tent with the tree of knowledge and snakes is a bit on the nose.

PS The OP and ED are still really really good.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 9, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

the Tsuritama cameo was cute

it was cute

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've had it with gel's do goody populist bullshit. kill him already hajime

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Davincie posted:

Hajime's been making space inside of her in case she needs to pull out the final solution.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Davincie posted:

"Won't hate. Won't kill. :>"

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hajime's been making space inside of her in case she needs to pull out the final solution.

Nah, Hajime and Berg-Kazte were thematic opposing forces, but she isn't Gelsadra's opposite, Vape Dude is.

I'm pretty sure turning him into the vessel for King Ape would be the most ironic of ironic hells. He'd go insane within the week.

(Admittedly, this is probably true of most people regardless of circumstances, even Hajime was going OH GOD BAD IDEA for a while there)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

dogsicle posted:

It really was.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
It feels to me like Gel can't just casually implement everything that the majority wants. Even if the individual decisions are reasonable, they don't necessarily produce a workable outcome in total. For instance, Gel slashed taxes this episode in several areas and also started offering a bunch of new, free government services. Each individual decision might have been wanted by the majority, but I don't think the majority is in favor of the government accruing massive debt either. I'm curious if the show will touch on that particular problem with majority rule.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Those are some really good ideas if, ya know, money was infinite.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Those are some really good ideas if, ya know, money was infinite.

"So everybody wants money to be infinite? I understand."
:downs:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

It feels to me like Gel can't just casually implement everything that the majority wants. Even if the individual decisions are reasonable, they don't necessarily produce a workable outcome in total. For instance, Gel slashed taxes this episode in several areas and also started offering a bunch of new, free government services. Each individual decision might have been wanted by the majority, but I don't think the majority is in favor of the government accruing massive debt either. I'm curious if the show will touch on that particular problem with majority rule.

Ostensibly, those costs are covered by completely eliminating the Diet and shrinking Defense spending to nothing, but there's still probably going to be some shortfalls

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I had not really expected the show to move in this direction.
"The leader is a personification of everybody's united will" is almost exactly Mussolini's definition of Fascism. And having short term plebiscites to overrule the opposition and the constitution was Hitler's main instrument for consolidating power during the end of the Weimar republic.
Totally bad omens for that society.
I am pretty sure the creators know that, and that Hajime knows that.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Davincie posted:

she's going to say Bird GO and kick his rear end!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I don't think the show will use outside of japan examples to prove its point when it can draw from so many examples within its own shores. Hajime might or might not know about European fascism, she might not even know about Japanese statism, since she operates on raw detached wisdom she doesn't need to know it, she'll still know what needs to be done.

Tsubasa's grandfather though, definitely reached his state through a lifetime of experience, so he knows first hand the effects of political syncretism/fascism and how it affected japan.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

dogsicle posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. Though I should actually finish it one day. Though what's the link between the two works?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. Though I should actually finish it one day. Though what's the link between the two works?
same director. he also worked on mononoke and [c]

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I just started watching this on Crunchy Roll and didn't realize it was a sequel. I'm enjoying it so far but have a question! Should I go back and watch the first part before continuing on?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

definitely yes

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Good Listener posted:

I just started watching this on Crunchy Roll and didn't realize it was a sequel. I'm enjoying it so far but have a question! Should I go back and watch the first part before continuing on?

Yes. Absolutely.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Good Listener posted:

Yes you should.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Willl doo then~ Not sure how I missed it was a sequel haha. Thanks!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Good Listener posted:

Willl doo then~ Not sure how I missed it was a sequel haha. Thanks!

The last episode of the first season had some goofups during the initial broadcast run, so it's a good idea to hunt down the director's cut version when you get to the end. Which sadly isn't the version available on Crunchyroll.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Watch the first end first, though, because the Director's Cut starts halfway through the final episode.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On the shot that was lingering on Rui's crotch. It's probably because all of the comments were making fun of him for being a crossdresser instead of listening to what he had to say.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I wish they translated those comments like they did for season 1.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Droyer posted:

I wish they translated those comments like they did for season 1.

They translated the first few ones when Rui first started the show.

The 2nd comment was "Look it's Gay-chan."

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I was under the impression that Crowds was aimed at a younger audience, but this season is so political that I'm not sure if kids would really understand it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe not kid kids, but it seems right on the mark for (pre)teens, especially with political disillusionment being more common in younger generations

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I thought it was too, but then someone pointed out the show aired at like midnight or something.

Enjoyed the last ep quite a bit. I like that Gel was actually like, a ruler who's aware of people's bad intentions, instead of being nothing but collective consciousness. Makes them seem more like a person instead of just a bad idea personified. There is a pretty obvious downside to all the stuff they enacted, but I don't really see low taxes as being the huge downside for why Gel's leadership won't work. Too many factors for me to really guess what's going to happen, but things seem to be ramping up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty much all anime that isn't specifically made for young kids airs very late at night.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

dogsicle posted:

maybe not kid kids, but it seems right on the mark for (pre)teens, especially with political disillusionment being more common in younger generations

You are insane if you think this show or Crowds is for pre-teens.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Fangz posted:

You are insane if you think this show or Crowds is for pre-teens.

Insight maybe less so (school here taught civics in middle school, obv can't speak for Japan) but they definitely use social media and can encounter cyber bullying, so i'm sure the ideas in Crowds wouldn't be lost on them

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

They translated the first few ones when Rui first started the show.

The 2nd comment was "Look it's Gay-chan."

Huh, that's interesting. Maybe I've missed it, but there hasn't been that much in-show commentary on Rui's wardrobe and lifestyle until now, has there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Has there been no thought bubble for Berg Katze so far?

Have any of the alien members of our cast ?

• Locked thread