Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Shameless posted:

I've given up on omnibuses completely. The thicker ones are readable (if cumbersome) if you're sat down but I like to read in bed and they're not good at all for that. Also, as mentioned, the paper quality has got worse and the extra $25 they're asking for them now makes them a huge no-no.

drat, is the paper thing is across the board or just on the thicker ones? It's what stopped me from getting the Hickman omnis but they're also huge and expensive.

Hearing stuff like this I'm thinking of just getting the Hawkeye OSHCs instead of the Omni, but it's really nice to have everything collected in a single volume, especially with shorter runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Ror posted:

drat, is the paper thing is across the board or just on the thicker ones? It's what stopped me from getting the Hickman omnis but they're also huge and expensive.

Hearing stuff like this I'm thinking of just getting the Hawkeye OSHCs instead of the Omni, but it's really nice to have everything collected in a single volume, especially with shorter runs.

If you're talking about Hickman's F4 omni's I really like them. They aren't actually too huge and they present the issues in the correct reading order.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Wheat Loaf posted:

That "Immortal Doctor Fate" one looks interesting. I've not read any of it but the names attached (Pasko, Giffen, Simonson) have my attention. Looks like they're also doing a TPB collecting the concluding arc in Pérez's WW run - hopefully this bodes well for the prospect of everything between it and the omnibus being filled in.

Yeah, that's a definite for me. Love Dr Fate, love Giffen, love Simonson, it's a no-brainer. Is that WW book the War of the Gods one... that was an event book and it was not a very good one if memory serves.

Ror posted:

Not sure. To be honest, I'm not the best person to reply. I'd already given up on omnibuses by the time the change happened. I was going to pick up the fourth Brubaker Cap one but then saw a fair few complaints about the paper quality so decided to skip it.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 7, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

If you're talking about Hickman's F4 omni's I really like them. They aren't actually too huge and they present the issues in the correct reading order.

They're nearly perfect. Unlike the Annhilation omnibus that collapsed under it's own weight after 2 weeks on the shelf.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

They're nearly perfect. Unlike the Annhilation omnibus that collapsed under it's own weight after 2 weeks on the shelf.

I just wish they would include letter columns and stuff more regularly in those. Really other than that the only omission is Hickman's letter after the last issue.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

I just wish they would include letter columns and stuff more regularly in those. Really other than that the only omission is Hickman's letter after the last issue.
Full-length letters from the authors as they start (less common these days) or leave a book are some of my favorite comic-booky things.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Yeah the Hickman omnibi are awesome, I dunno what this paper quality thing is about, every omnibus I've gotten over the past two years or so has been a marked improvement on what came before

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Shameless posted:

DC list for early 2016 is here:

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=3672447

Gotham Central getting an omnibus and a vol 3 of Ostrander Sucide Squad listed.

Lot of decent older trades there for me, David / Frank Supergirl, Black Lightning, Ennis' Demon....

Downside... it looks like Ostrander's Spectre is done with, no new volumes listed. :-(

Holy poo poo, Azrael. Been thinking of tracking those down and binding, but this will hopefully be much less work and moderately cheaper.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I keep hemming and hawing on Hickman FF Omni 1...and it's now out of print everywhere and prices have gone to crazy levels. Ironically now you can get Vol2 cheaply. :bang:

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 7, 2015

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

gfanikf posted:

Well I keep hemming and hawing on Hickman FF Omni 1...and it's now out of print everywhere and prices have gone to crazy levels. Ironically now you can get Vol2. :bang:

Yeah, I'm mad at myself now for not grabbing one.

I have all the trades, which I'm sure is a part of why I was so ready to accept that the Omni quality was bad. I've thought a few times about getting them bound, but I'm a sucker for oversized pages.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Ror posted:

Yeah, I'm mad at myself now for not grabbing one.

I have all the trades, which I'm sure is a part of why I was so ready to accept that the Omni quality was bad. I've thought a few times about getting them bound, but I'm a sucker for oversized pages.

Plus the trades don't have the issues in a good reading order.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bingo that said I am willing to accept like half in trades and half not so at least part of it is in order.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah the Hickman omnibi are awesome, I dunno what this paper quality thing is about, every omnibus I've gotten over the past two years or so has been a marked improvement on what came before

The paper is thinner and less sturdy. I'm not bothered by it because I like to think I take care of the book so I never have problems. I'm also kinda ok with it because it massively improves readability via size; I have the original ASM omni and it's immense.

The price creep was less good, though. The Marvel omnis were already expensive and some of them drifting to 125 meant that I had to hope that inStocktrades would make them the weekly deal to bring the price to "normal".

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm starting to think about switching to trades personally. I love oversized stuff, but man Amazon has such cheap prices on stuff. It would be cheaper to buy Astonishing X Men two paper completes and bind them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the Epic Collection line is pretty cool. It's a shame they aren't released more frequently, though.

I like omnibuses, but then again I haven't experienced any of the horror stories about books falling apart on the shelf as others have.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the Epic Collection line is pretty cool. It's a shame they aren't released more frequently, though.

I like omnibuses, but then again I haven't experienced any of the horror stories about books falling apart on the shelf as others have.

Epics have been coming out two or three times a month for awhile now. How fast do you want them?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't follow every title in the line, so they seem less frequent when there's long gaps between the ones I'm most interested in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheManWithNoName posted:

Epics have been coming out two or three times a month for awhile now. How fast do you want them?

DAILY

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The main problem with epics is they are supposed to cover a lot of series, so they aren't very focused. So the have released like twenty but they are spread out over like fifteen series. So unless you are interested in many of them it doesn't look like much.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The main problem with epics is they are supposed to cover a lot of series, so they aren't very focused. So the have released like twenty but they are spread out over like fifteen series. So unless you are interested in many of them it doesn't look like much.

Yeah they keep announcing more and more additions. Still no Dr. Strange though but the (19th) Hulk volume will be out soon. If you include Star Wars there are 49 released or announced volumes across 16 series. I'm totally suckered into the concept and every time they announce more it's fun to see how they fit into the puzzle.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
The hulk one continues from where PAD visionaries left off, which is rad!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheManWithNoName posted:

Yeah they keep announcing more and more additions. Still no Dr. Strange though but the (19th) Hulk volume will be out soon. If you include Star Wars there are 49 released or announced volumes across 16 series. I'm totally suckered into the concept and every time they announce more it's fun to see how they fit into the puzzle.

Dr Strange seems to me the glaring omission at the moment but I bet we'll be seeing it in time for the movie (possibly along with an omnibus collection of the Steve Ditko stories or the Roger Stern run).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently someone didn't notice Hickman Vol 1 going out of print so I was able to actually get a like new copy for only $110 shipped so that was a pleasant surprise. I also got volume 2 right away cause no way I'm risking that going oop too.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
poo poo I meant to buy that a bunch of times and never did. Guess I'll have to pay up now

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's in stock at Amazon UK so you could also import it. I dunno how expensive it is to ship to the US but it's an option at least.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hakkesshu posted:

It's in stock at Amazon UK so you could also import it. I dunno how expensive it is to ship to the US but it's an option at least.

Nope its oop there too. I just got lucky someone listed it on eBay and set a really low make an offer price on it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I still need to get the 2nd Hickman and 2nd Claremont X-Men omni. :ohdear:

I also need a new home in which to fit all this bloody stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

I still need to get the 2nd Hickman and 2nd Claremont X-Men omni. :ohdear:

Um, I'm afraid I might have some bad news...

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 10, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Um, I'm afraid I might have some bad news...

What?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, sorry, my mistake. I was thinking of a different one that's gone out of print - Claremont Uncanny Vol. 2 has not. :shobon:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, sorry, my mistake. I was thinking of a different one that's gone out of print - Claremont Uncanny Vol. 2 has not. :shobon:

I was going to say I literally bought one this morning and was wondering if I just got lucky or something.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did Matt Fractions run on Punisher War Zone ever getting collected, even in trades or will I have to do a custom binding with floppies for it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

gfanikf posted:

Did Matt Fractions run on Punisher War Zone ever getting collected, even in trades or will I have to do a custom binding with floppies for it?

Yes in trades.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, I only got the 1st one recently enough, I've been keeping an eye on the 2nd one. It's still pretty readily available.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the first one - which was only reprinted two years ago, mind - is already back out of print.

I'd have assumed they were just going to let all these Silver Age and Bronze Age omnibuses go out of print and let the Epics replace them, but here they're reprinting Miller/Janson Daredevil for what I believe is the second time. I guess that's something that's always going to sell, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm hoping it's a good sign that they're going to continue doing omnis of this stuff. I'd like to get all of Claremont's X-Men in that format, even though I have bits of it here and there in various other formats.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am pretty sure epics are for poo poo that wouldn't sell well enough to warrant an omnibus. This is undercut a bit by some of the random poo poo they make omnibuses for.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

I'm hoping it's a good sign that they're going to continue doing omnis of this stuff. I'd like to get all of Claremont's X-Men in that format, even though I have bits of it here and there in various other formats.

Do you have the Inferno hardcover? That one's the most difficult to get in that format - they're doing a two-part TPB like they did with FOTM to replace it. I managed to snag it for about £50 in an eBay auction a couple of years ago, which was exceedingly lucky.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am pretty sure epics are for poo poo that wouldn't sell well enough to warrant an omnibus. This is undercut a bit by some of the random poo poo they make omnibuses for.

I wonder at the "Marvel Universe by John Byrne" one they're doing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The loving Werewolf By Night omnibus is gonna sell like 4 copies total

Better get that out on the shelves instead of Ultimate Spider-Man V2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What about the omnibus that is just random poo poo from the 90's? Or the one that collects the first arcs from the ultimate line? I just don't understand you Marvel.