Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Meiteron posted:

They never nerfed crafter progression like they did relics.

Well, there was the i70 trade-in clothes they added pretty late in 2.x but..yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Meiteron posted:

Once I stopped pacing in my apartment cussing at hypothetical members of the dev team who came up with this system, and sat down to really plan out what I was doing, it turns out red scrip really is just Ehcatl Sealants but Moreso, which is honestly not the worst thing in the world.

If there's a criticism to make about it it's that Yoshida had said that HW was going to make crafting more accessible and user-friendly for the average player. That was a dirty, filthy lie, a lie told to all of us. When you accept that it was a lie, and look at the system as an extension of the 2.0 philosophy of "crafter progression is worse than relics and costs millions of gil" then it all clicks. If you're an Omnicrafter with more money than God you get to keep playing the crafter game and everyone else can get hosed, just like 2.0.

There's two keys to it, which are that 1) max-melded i150 can meet 2-star requirements, letting you skip Keep gear and 2) crafting materials can be sold on the open market, speeding the process for the wealthy. So the Omnicrafter with all the money can meld his gear, gather his own red scrip materials, spend money to get even more materials, and make Master gear 3-4 times faster then someone saving up for the Keep stuff. That will let the Omnicrafter cover all crafting jobs while the casual crafter who opts for Keep will only have 2-3 crafts geared up in six months.

I guarantee you that i150 is not going to be workable for 3.2 when we will likely get new recipes and you'll either need full Keep or melded Master to start them. It's exactly the same as 2.0 except the numbers are higher and the gear models are different. You're either fully into crafting or you're locked out. If you are fully into crafting then you'll be totally fine. If you're not that into it but want to be then now, and no other time but now, is when you want to make the effort. As hard as making Master stuff is now it's extremely unlikely it'll be any easier later on. They never nerfed crafter progression like they did relics.

The big difference is that in 2.0 you only had to go through gearing once. In 3.0 you have to do it eight times.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kafziel posted:

The big difference is that in 2.0 you only had to go through gearing once. In 3.0 you have to do it eight times.

I mean you could use a melded patrician set in 2.0, but it was much much easier to do two star stuff with your crafting AF. They didn't release multi class high end crafting gear for a few patches after.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

kafziel posted:

In 2.0 (and I'm being specific here, I mean launch) you needed to level your crafts to 50, put a halfway decent set together, and craft up 40-50 pieces total that to gear your crafts with the original crafter AF. There was a time, long ago, where 1-star crafts actually posed difficulty to a crafter and HQ wasn't guaranteed. Didn't last very long, but that time did happen.

This is same situation but made harder to accommodate all the resources now at a crafter's disposal. You level your crafts to 60, you put a really good set together, and craft up 40-50 pieces total to gear your crafts with the second crafter AF. Same thing, slightly harder, takes longer.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I'll never get tired of hearing the Limsa night theme.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Have any of you guys ever used this new voip service? https://discordapp.com/

It seem pretty nice, even for pugs since you can use a web app, but the privacy policy sounds a little shady. Although "the internet" claims this kind of policy is usual for this kind of service.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Paladin is good in PVP.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pigbottom posted:

It seem pretty nice, even for pugs since you can use a web app, but the privacy policy sounds a little shady. Although "the internet" claims this kind of policy is usual for this kind of service.

It is decent, the best thing about it is that it is really good when you want to spin up a room for pugs or something fast.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Meiteron posted:

If there's a criticism to make about it it's that Yoshida had said that HW was going to make crafting more accessible and user-friendly for the average player. That was a dirty, filthy lie, a lie told to all of us.

The lying liar Yoship has been lying to us since #housegate in 2.2 or whatever, why would anyone believe anything he says?

Pigbottom posted:

I believe SwissArmyDruid is our resident expert on this.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Meiteron posted:

it turns out red scrip really is just Ehcatl Sealants but Moreso, which is honestly not the worst thing in the world.

Are you okay? I think you may have a severe case of Stockholm Syndrome. :ohdear:

I was admittedly super skeptical when they first suggested they wanted to make crafting more accessible, and I'm mostly just sad it turns out that skepticism was warranted.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

seorin posted:

Are you okay? I think you may have a severe case of Stockholm Syndrome. :ohdear:

I was admittedly super skeptical when they first suggested they wanted to make crafting more accessible, and I'm mostly just sad it turns out that skepticism was warranted.

you know when I read that sentence by itself I do feel a bit unsettled

Also I'm devoting a large portion of brainpower to actively repressing the staggering amount of time the average person who wants to gear everything will spend mindlessly hitting the same gather points burning favors, because if I ever admit that concept into my thoughts I'll probaaefbfdafkbls;fbfgbfvsdfbdk

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I like the red scrip system as is and definitely prefer it in all ways to any of the 2.x craft gear grinds.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Meiteron posted:

you know when I read that sentence by itself I do feel a bit unsettled

Also I'm devoting a large portion of brainpower to actively repressing the staggering amount of time the average person who wants to gear everything will spend mindlessly hitting the same gather points burning favors, because if I ever admit that concept into my thoughts I'll probaaefbfdafkbls;fbfgbfvsdfbdk

You mean mindlessly fish while watching Netflix right?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fishing is the true endgame of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn anyways.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But what are you going to do when you catch a sky whale?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

hobbesmaster posted:

Use it as a fishy Megalixir.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

Desynth it

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
You obtain a pinch of fine sand

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

That Third Party Tools Swag :c00l:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So I have never played Archer past unlocking hawks eye, but I have MNK/NIN/DRG all at 50.. What should I level next?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Rei_ posted:

So I have never played Archer past unlocking hawks eye, but I have MNK/NIN/DRG all at 50.. What should I level next?

It seems you like melee dps so I would recommend Warrior or Dark Knight because they feel a lot like melee dps sometimes.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rei_ posted:

How about any of these to 60?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
How hard is the game with less reliable communication once you get to more complicated dungeons? Everything's been pretty easy so far, but I switched from PC to PS4 and the controller keyboard is a pain in the rear end so mostly I just try to pay attention and follow everyone else's lead. Will this at least get me through MSQ content or will people start getting pissed at me if I don't instantly know what to do? (For the most part the DF has been matching me up with level synced players).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DrNutt posted:

How hard is the game with less reliable communication once you get to more complicated dungeons? Everything's been pretty easy so far, but I switched from PC to PS4 and the controller keyboard is a pain in the rear end so mostly I just try to pay attention and follow everyone else's lead. Will this at least get me through MSQ content or will people start getting pissed at me if I don't instantly know what to do? (For the most part the DF has been matching me up with level synced players).

You don't need that much communication, just say "I'm inexperienced" and "I seem to have misplaced my keyboard" with auto-translate and people should point stuff out when needs be. Investing in a cheap USB keyboard wouldn't go astray, though.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

A2S is pretty relaxing compared to how learning A1S felt.

kirbysuperstar posted:

You don't need that much communication, just say "I'm inexperienced" and "I seem to have misplaced my keyboard" with auto-translate and people should point stuff out when needs be. Investing in a cheap USB keyboard wouldn't go astray, though.

This can even be made a macro!

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Jesus loving Christ, official forums.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Technogeek posted:

Jesus loving Christ, official forums.

I really wish you had sourcelessly quoted that.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
How do the favors work?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

ya next time leave them out of context

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

cheetah7071 posted:

I didn't want to have to reproduce the unnecessary formatting, and it would have lost a lot of the impact if I just didn't bother.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Alright. Where do I begin with crafting and how do I end up repairing my own gear?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Well worth grinding scrip turnins for the chestpiece.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kuvo posted:

ya next time leave them out of context

Out of context best context

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

Alright. Where do I begin with crafting and how do I end up repairing my own gear?

Go to the respective crafter guild. Plop down next to their respective vendor. Start crafting 1 of everything in your log (for the first-time bonus) until you hit things where the vendor doesn't sell you the mats any more, which will be around level 15 for most of them. (In a few cases for crafts with relatively few recipes, you may need to craft the same thing a few times. Similarly for crafts with a shitload of recipes, you can skip some.)

Repeat this process with each craft until they're all at 15. The point of this is to unlock their level 15 cross-class abilities, which range from situational to awesome.

General recommendations after that are, in order (because of the cross-class abilities you get):
CUL to 37
CRP to 50
WVR to 50
Everything else to 50 in whatever order you please
Any 50-60 leveling (optional, see below)

The 15-50 leveling will be some combination of:
- Levequests (these are really good exp for crafters)
- Ixali dailies (do the quest on any crafter, complete it on the crafter you want to receive the exp)
- Grand Company turn-ins
- A few challenge log objectives

In pretty much all the above cases where you're turning in items, HQ items net you double exp. Plus you get a lot more exp for trying to craft items HQ, even if you don't succeed.

You can repair gear if the appropriate craft for the gear is no more than 10 levels below the gear's equippable level. For example, if you want to repair a sword equippable at level 56, your blacksmith (the Craft That Makes Swords) needs to be 46 or higher. You'll also want to get in the habit of lugging a pile of dark matter around with you, which you can buy in the various town marketplace areas (among other places).

Beyond that it's just a matter of right-click -> repair. Provided you have the craft leveled and the dark matter on hand, you can do this at any time. Even in a dungeon. Even in battle.

If your goal is just repairs, you can stop at 50, since that'll let you repair all the level 60 gear. If you want to proceed past 50, it's much the same process (though get other things to 50 for more cross-class abilities before trying to push anything to 60), except Ixali dailies get shittier relative to the exp you need, and you get the option of collectible turn-ins.

Vil fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 9, 2015

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I don't know if this was one of you guys, but it's a magnificent troll regardless: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/254882-Adding-Legacy-Tattoo-to-Mog-Station

:golfclap:

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Lalafells are best used as weapons, most effective when thrown or punted at enemies

I found proof while finishing up the level 50 crafting quests:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Yoshi P & The Dev team, the players have spoken and you should listen!

1. Stop continuing to punish us for devoting time to this game and have it as a hobby. Examples, relic quests and certain gears. Letting people have the same stuff as others for half the effort isnt fair to anyone.

2. 3.0 is a reskin of 2.0. ARR has been out for 2 years wich means you had 2 years to present something to the table that would make stuff interesting but we are still stuck in the DF envoirment.

3. Bigger maps and flying maps where amazing but not when the only thing we can do on big maps after quests is fate grinding hunts or gather and they are mega empty.

4. Gears with more job specific stats wouldnt be a bad idea. -10% damage taken or 10% damage dealt etc.

5. Whats the real reason for everything beeing so easy? Who is it going to satisfy? Presenting savage isnt doing the hardcore gamers a favour its devaluing the players overall when it comes to everything else from regular mobs dungeons etc.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Verranicus posted:

5. Whats the real reason for everything beeing so easy? Who is it going to satisfy? Presenting savage isnt doing the hardcore gamers a favour its devaluing the players overall when it comes to everything else from regular mobs dungeons etc.

Wait wait wait

So the game is too easy, but giving us savage mode is bad because it just exposes how easy the rest of the game is?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I bet he was complaining that EXDR was too hard at ilvl150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

nuru posted:

You're going to lose a lot more money leveling desynthesis than you'll ever make using desynth on items you make.

If you want to level from 51+ you should do daily turn-ins if they're starred (sometimes if they're not), leves, and crafting items you can sell to other crafters leveling 51+.

This is the truth, I spent probably around 1-1.5 million leveling from around the higher end of ARR stuff to being able to desynth expert drops in HW. I have made very little money from it, maybe 200k total from getting nuggets and ingots from jewellery. Wait until they maybe some day put in an easier way to bridge the desynth skill gap

• Locked thread