Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

coconono posted:

wasn't it NOSAWA that got kicked out of All Japan for roughing up a new guy backstage?
You're thinking of TARU and his stable VOODOO-MURDERS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

coconono posted:

wasn't it NOSAWA that got kicked out of All Japan for roughing up a new guy backstage?

That was TARU. NOSAWA had drugs planted on him a few years back.

And if we're talking Hashimoto, his rivalries with Tenryu and Yamazaki are required viewing too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtDBnQCTlRY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw4qS4iJ9Vg

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hashimoto vs Tenryu is required viewing if you wanna talk about meat chopping.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Apparently NOSAWA isn't dating Io Shirai anymore so why on earth would you ever want that chucklefuck

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
well tokyo gurentai put out one of the more random indie cards I've seen in a while.

http://keepingthespiritalive.tumblr.com/post/124151147615/tokyo-gurentai-results-for-july-15-2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

well tokyo gurentai put out one of the more random indie cards I've seen in a while.

http://keepingthespiritalive.tumblr.com/post/124151147615/tokyo-gurentai-results-for-july-15-2015

I love how Minoru Suzuki is on like 75% of random indie cards in Japan.

Oh, and in addition to non stop FMW revivals or reunion shows they're getting a ECW one as well:

quote:

The next show has been set for 10/10 at the Shinkiba 1stRING called “Tokyo Gurentai One Night Stand”. NOSAWA mentioned names like Sabu, Raven, and Sandman are in works to be on the show.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 15, 2015

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
Some interesting stats from the guys running the Voices of Wrestling twitter about Korakuen hall shows.

July 15, 2015 there’s already been 99 shows ran at Korakuen. In 2010 there were 112 all year. NJPW ran 19 Korakuen shows in 2014. By July 15, they’ve already ran 16.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Durk Hendrunkqs posted:

Some interesting stats from the guys running the Voices of Wrestling twitter about Korakuen hall shows.

July 15, 2015 there’s already been 99 shows ran at Korakuen. In 2010 there were 112 all year. NJPW ran 19 Korakuen shows in 2014. By July 15, they’ve already ran 16.

I personally think they've over ran it. They aren't selling it out as much as they used to, whereas DG and DDT do for their monthly shows.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
What's the pro wrestling scene in Okinawa like? Is Ryukyu Dragon Pro any good? How often do the major promotions go?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Rodney the Piper posted:

What's the pro wrestling scene in Okinawa like? Is Ryukyu Dragon Pro any good? How often do the major promotions go?

NJPW runs about one house show there a year, this was the last one to give you an idea:

http://www.njpw.co.jp/english/match/detail_result.php?e=936

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Rodney the Piper posted:

Ryukyu Dragon Pro is your normal local indy. Loads of local talent, indie wayfarers staying there for longer stints and the occasional big name for a larger show. If you're in the area around the 15th, you'd get to see Jun Kasai, Takashi Sasaki and Minoru Suzuki appear on their huge card. They also put out their show info in English and accept US Dollars for ticket sales.

If you like watching indy wrestling, go and see their shows.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's cool how much indie work Minoru Suzuki does while being a full time guy for either NJPW or NOAH. I'd love to see some US indie bring him over once, he'd be perfect for just about any one regardless of style.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

It's cool how much indie work Minoru Suzuki does while being a full time guy for either NJPW or NOAH. I'd love to see some US indie bring him over once, he'd be perfect for just about any one regardless of style.

For one of the NJPW/ROH Supercards I want O' Reilly vs Suzuki

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Roddy vs Suzuki would be rad too.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rodney the Piper posted:

If Okinawa Pro is still running check that out. It's like Osaka Pro but with more LSD and less fans.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Korakuen did a price cut for weekdays a few years ago. Clearly it's working!

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Does anyone have Lynch's new email? I noticed I haven't got a Puro update from him in a year and didn't know if he got out of selling DVDs or changed it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

did anything ever come out All-Japan's VOD service? I saw some chatter that it was going to launch and then nothing.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Anyone here well-versed in the 1990s-2000s Japanese Indie scene? I need some help on a project.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Anyone here well-versed in the 1990s-2000s Japanese Indie scene? I need some help on a project.

I know a thing or two. What do you need?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I hope the project is about Survival Tobita

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I can pitch in a bit, though probably not as universally as you'd like.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I can also help a bit. I think collectively we could fill any gaps.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Awesome! Sadly it's not FMW and deathmatch or Tobita. I have questions about MPro/UWF lucharesu and Gran Hamada relating to CIMA. If yall will pm me or email me at NotQuiteQuentin at gmail. I'll send you a couple of questions.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Does anyone have Lynch's new email? I noticed I haven't got a Puro update from him in a year and didn't know if he got out of selling DVDs or changed it.
Same that it's been for a while. I still get the updates; latest was on August 6th. Check your spam maybe?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
From DDT's August 6th show:

3. Antonio Honda defeated Transparent Mel Gibson with a Backslide Pin (22:15).

"Antonio Honda entered Shin-kiba 1st Ring today to face one of the toughest challenges of not just his career, but of his entire life. Transparent Mel Gibson flew into Japan on his transparent private jet to answer Honda’s challenge and the two went face to face in the ring as the live commentary team talked about Gibson’s movies. When Honda took control he drank from a bottle of whiskey and began impersonating Jack Nicholson’s character from Easy Rider. Gibson fought back until Honda started Hulking up. Honda applied a Guillotine Drop and told the ref to ask if Gibson would submit. Gibson yelled “Freedom!” Honda let Gibson go and talked about watching a match from a college wrestling club called HWWA. In that match a young wrestler named Harley Rape was fighting the Invisible Man. The point of the story is Honda learned that every person has their struggles, even invisible people. Honda invited Gibson to dance as Leonard Cohen’s “Bird On A Wire” played over the speakers. The two danced together until Honda hit Gibson with a cheap shot and pinned him with a Backslide. They still hugged afterwards."

:psypop:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Uh.....

I guess I'm definitely gonna have to track that one down if it hits DM.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Harley Rape

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
holy poo poo

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

Harley Rape

Tana's name when he did that goofy college puro Choshu hated was Hiroshi Hame (pun on a japanese word for gently caress or something similar irrc)

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Friendly reminder that Honda also had probably the best non-NJPW puro match of the decade with Dick Togo in 2011.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Friendly reminder that Honda also had probably the best non-NJPW puro match of the decade with Dick Togo in 2011.

until august 6th, you mean

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
It might not air at all and certainly won't be complete.

But that sort of match is why DDT's Beer Garden shows during the first week of August are one of the best live experiences in pro wrestling. And tickets are super cheap and wrestlers cook food!

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

DDT is just the best.

Has anyone ever suggested DDT to Steve Austin? Because the "Steve Austin reacts to Dramatic Dream Team Show" should be a thing that's real.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Thauros posted:

Uh.....

I guess I'm definitely gonna have to track that one down if it hits DM.
Beer Garden Week always gets cut down into a single two-hour block. I seriously doubt they'll include two whole 22 minutes but gently caress, one can only hope some of it makes it online.

Ditch posted:

It might not air at all and certainly won't be complete.

But that sort of match is why DDT's Beer Garden shows during the first week of August are one of the best live experiences in pro wrestling. And tickets are super cheap and wrestlers cook food!
I love that they let different wrestlers book each day and it results in people trying to outcrazy eachother's shows. Those Beer Garden TV blocks are always brimming with insanity.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 16, 2015

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
One of my favorite beer garden clips that I can't ever find anymore was when Honda was dressed up as Onita and someone else was Terry Funk and they did their exploding no roped barbed wire match but the explosions were streamers and the wrestlers made the explosion noises.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Thauros posted:

until august 6th, you mean

Nope. Haven't watched anything better than that.

Togo was absolutely awesome the last few years of his career.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Oh, and Union Pro is apparently shutting down after their Anniversary Show in October. I thought they were just a DDT sub-brand but STRIGGA told be they had become more independent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

Oh, and Union Pro is apparently shutting down after their Anniversary Show in October. I thought they were just a DDT sub-brand but STRIGGA told be they had become more independent.

I guess they decided to not face each other?