Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Woolie Wool posted:

Only one track, the menu music, left to do. Unfortunately Shane Strife happens to have health problems AND involuntary moving AND problems with his instruments right now. :(

I'm sometimes tempted to just release it with the placeholder menu music from Planet Strike.

That sucks, I hope that all manages to work out.

And if you go with a placeholder, yeah, Planet Strike's is good, but Aliens of Gold is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Just use the high score theme from Aliens of Gold, that was like the best track from that series anyway

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Quake II had an incredible soundtrack and I will meet whoever disagrees on Facing Worlds and cram a Redeemer missile right up your tailpipe :argh:

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
I seem to recall Quake 2 was meant to be a new IP altogether called "Wor" or something like that. A mixture of creative infighting and leaving it too late to sort out the marketing that would be required for the launch of a new title meant id just went down the easy route and slapped 2 on the already established name.

Feel free to correct or elaborate! Not sure at what point in the project they wanted to distinguish it from Quake, but it does explain why the concept is so vastly different.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Quake II had an incredible soundtrack and I will meet whoever disagrees on Facing Worlds and cram a Redeemer missile right up your tailpipe :argh:

Quake 2's soundtrack is the definition of FPS buttmetal. I love it.

quote:

Even before you get the energy shield, you're way tougher compared to the enemies you're up against compared to Q1. Gunners are the only thing that can really own your rear end in early Q2, and even they are way less aggressive than Ogres. I suppose there are a couple of Gladiators too, but they're so thinly spread before you get the energy shield that it doesn't make much difference. I find Quake II on Hard considerably easier than Quake 1 on Easy.

Really? I find Q2 more difficult in Hard than Q1 in Hard. Q1's maps give you a lot more room to move around than Q2's maps do, so if you encounter a BS fight, you can easily move around it or retreat. Meanwhile, in Q2, if you meet a few grenade-happy Gunners, you're in trouble.

Then again, I'm the type of guy that always plays Quake 1 SP maps in Hard no matter what, so maybe I have a skewed definitoin of Quake 1's difficulty. :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Q2DM1 1on1 seems more fitting. Best deathmatch map ever.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Cancer posted:

I seem to recall Quake 2 was meant to be a new IP altogether called "Wor" or something like that. A mixture of creative infighting and leaving it too late to sort out the marketing that would be required for the launch of a new title meant id just went down the easy route and slapped 2 on the already established name.

Feel free to correct or elaborate! Not sure at what point in the project they wanted to distinguish it from Quake, but it does explain why the concept is so vastly different.
Quake 2 was originally just a working title, but all the suggested real titles were either kinda crap like "WOR", or were already taken, so they figured that the gameplay was fast-paced and Quake-y enough that they could roll with what they had.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

KozmoNaut posted:

Q2DM1 1on1 seems more fitting. Best deathmatch map ever.

Quake II had an incredible soundtrack and I will meet whoever disagrees on Q2DM1 oh you get the idea :haw:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quake 2 and UT99 have the best soundtracks and Deus Ex is right behind them in my opinion.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Nah the best FPS soundtrack that isn't Doom is probably Timesplitters 2 :v:

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Shadow Hog posted:

Just use the high score theme from Aliens of Gold, that was like the best track from that series anyway

I'll fight you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qNK1l_WOB0

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

I've listened to a whole goddamn lot of metal in my time, and Q2's music is some seriously generic '90s groove metal. There were 30 million bands playing music just like that in 1997.

Also, my game's metal music is better. :smuggo:

No.

Also, descent into cerberon is the other incredibly good Q2 track.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I like most of the songs in the Quake 2 soundtrack, but honestly I can't not sing the opening lines to Jingle Bells at the start of Rage.

I really like it! It has a sort of Diablo meets Doom vibe.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

A.o.D. posted:

Also, descent into cerberon is the other incredibly good Q2 track.

So much so that some band copied it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydkFk6oDDiM

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Gladiator Beta Class enemies at the end of The Reckoning have 1700 health. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?! :gonk:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 9, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
They were probably thinking that you had a quad and invuln stored ready to rock for the final fight.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Woolie Wool posted:

The Gladiator Beta Class enemies at the end of The Reckoning have 1700 health. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?! :gonk:

Protip: Shoot at it until it dies.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A.o.D. posted:

They were probably thinking that you had a quad and invuln stored ready to rock for the final fight.

That would all be well and good, except that they pop up as regular enemies during the final part, not as a final boss fight.

With more health than the flying motherfucker at the end of the Big Gun chapter in the vanilla game.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

uncleKitchener posted:

Protip: Shoot at it until it dies.

It takes too loving long to die, especially with Quake II's gimpy damage scaling and the claustrophobic level design. 500 health would have been plenty. 600 would have been pushing it. 1700 is just absurd. They're not bosses, they appear all throughout the last three levels. The final boss is actually the Makron, who is no different from his Q2 incarnation.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I... I think I love you for this. :swoon:

Blake Stone deserves a proper remake, but keep the original music.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

Yeah this is the main reason why I don't want to replay The Reckoning. Those enemies are just loving ridiculous. Both add-on packs have their flaws but Ground Zeroes holds up better in general (Turrets are also dumb, but not a shade on the ridiculous beta class enemies) They would of been more tolerable if certain guns were effective against energy shields but nope, it was all just a flat damage rate against that wall of meat. The unofficial add-on pack Zaero was more interesting than Reckoning even if it lacked the polish of the official add-ons.

I do miss the era of FPS add-on packs with a few token additions though, DLC just doesn't feel the same. It's probably because add-on packs were normally externally developed so they had a different spin on it to the base game. I think Wages of SiN is probably the best expansion pack out of all of them (maybe except Opposing Force for it's new content and stuff, not so much for the campaign which I think I've said before here that in retrospect is kinda lacking compared to HL's)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It's good, of course, but it's still not the high scores music.

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010

Jblade posted:

The unofficial add-on pack Zaero was more interesting than Reckoning even if it lacked the polish of the official add-ons.

It was pretty good IMO The "Sentien" enemies were some of the coolest in the Quake 2 series.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Shadow Hog posted:

It's good, of course, but it's still not the high scores music.

I dunno, I really like the Intro Music.

I'm really, really liking Blake Stone. I'm in episode 3 of Aliens of Gold. I would love to see a remake, it could go so many ways.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

catlord posted:

I'm really, really liking Blake Stone. I'm in episode 3 of Aliens of Gold. I would love to see a remake, it could go so many ways.

Blake Stone is one of my favorite games. To my knowledge, the fanbase to the series is just "I liked Blake Stone," and nothing further. Maybe Interceptor could do it justice.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Commander Keenan posted:

Blake Stone is one of my favorite games. To my knowledge, the fanbase to the series is just "I liked Blake Stone," and nothing further. Maybe Interceptor could do it justice.
The RoTT remake was okay. Blake Stone was good stuff, but my take is why not just make a new sci-fi shooter? I guess naming it Blake Stone would get some name recognition, kind of like why Hollywood remakes every film. Does some of the marketing work for them.

I say we make Blackthorne vs Blake Stone Begins: Soldiers of Fortune - Rise of the Chaos Engine. In all seriousness I'd obviously play that game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RyokoTK posted:

Nah the best FPS soundtrack that isn't Doom is probably Timesplitters 2 :v:

I see everyone is skipping over this post, so I just wanted to bring to your collective attention the fact that this opinion right here is the one, true opinion.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I see everyone is skipping over this post, so I just wanted to bring to your collective attention the fact that this opinion right here is the one, true opinion.
The Duke Nukem theme Grabbag is the best song in FPS history, however.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heavy Metal posted:

The Duke Nukem theme Grabbag is the best song in FPS history, however.

I will concede this point.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/627263344760745984

Does anyone have a source for this?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Let's send a signed framed photo of John Romero (something tasteful) to them when we track 'em down. (Hell, I wish I had one.)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-4-general/73925-the-great-immersion-debate/ in the OP

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Linguica posted:

Were you born before or after 9/11/01. This is important.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that people born in 2001 are using the internet instead of learning how to use the potty and count to four. :corsair:

a complete shithead posted:

Painkiller, in my opinion was one of the first classic FPSs that got music right.
:psyboom:

E: He does realize Quake exists, right? And that it used to come on a CD and there was music on it?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 10, 2015

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If you were old enough to play Doom when it came out kids don't like your music either.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TOOT BOOT posted:

If you were old enough to play Doom when it came out kids don't like your music either.

Kids are stupid and have no taste though. I used to be one so I should know.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Do you run @doom_txt? It's amazing

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAWirWdpWJM
Skip to 5:41 for pro shambler fighting strats. :laugh:

Never thought i would hear someone with an honest to god Ork accent.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My favorite thing about Painkiller's soundtrack is that the main theme is sung by Polish Ozzy Osbourne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weypUIJHhwM

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Segmentation Fault posted:

Do you run @doom_txt? It's amazing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Attention Quake video authors:

I sometimes use Quake videos as a way of introducing Quake to people. I would appreciate it if you could make videos that could show Quake in a more positive light for people who play the game. That means videos that:

- Have correct gamma so they're not washed out and gray. I know some of you are scawed of the dark but overdone gamma doesn't actually make it easier to see.
- Don't have saturation turned up to a ridiculous level
- Have the music on
- Don't use Epsilon, or rtlights, or lovely particle effects that look like they came out of a really terrible Quake III mod
- Aren't fuzzy and blurry. This is 2014, we have decent capture software available for free, use it.