Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Parahexavoctal posted:

I don't see it?

He quoted the wrong page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Then post most of the death-defying stunts almost every superhero in almost every comic has ever done. I'm a huge fan of that Joe Kelly run but that moment is straight-up boilerplate.

lol k.

You couldn't even be arsed to post the full page? It took me less than 60 seconds to google using a term as generic as "All-Star Superman."

well the self-righteousness is there but its lacking the 7 paragraphs, 4/10

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alouicious posted:

well the self-righteousness is there but its lacking the 7 paragraphs, 4/10

OK, Lex.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'd like to thank the thread for the exquisite analysis of why that Flash page is, in fact, not bad rear end at all, but blah blah blah

gently caress.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
The Sperg Force

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

This feat accomplished by this superhero is impossible! What is this, a comic book?!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
If you were to remove the dialogue, this image would be terrifying. It's the way he puts his entire giant hand around her arm like that.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

VagueRant posted:

If you were to remove the dialogue, this image would be terrifying. It's the way he puts his entire giant hand around her arm like that.

Good thing comic books are both image and text, then, huh?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Crowetron posted:

This feat accomplished by this superhero is impossible! What is this, a comic book?!

You don't see a humorous difference between "man runs almost as fast as the speed of light" and "man runs almost as fast as the speed of light, traveling much further than light would be able to travel in the same amount of time" ?

One is 'thing that's physically impossible for a normal human to do', the other is 'thing that the narrative specifically dictates is mathematically incorrect.'

It's not like the flash writers have a bunch of other cool powers to represent... He does one thing. Why not do a little bit of research?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 10, 2015

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

It's a well known fact that superhero comics are improved by scientific research and math.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm sorry I brought it up! I like the pages and think they're badass. I also like looking at the actual math and find it funny how much you have to break the laws of nature to make it work.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It wasn't so much that really, it was the deadpan "yeah man that totally makes it not bad rear end" responses .

This may or may not be bad rear end due to questionable things like "there's no way he can get leverage to do that" and "the rock near his hands would just break off before a lot of damage was done"

Incredible Hulk vol. 2 #64

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Flesh Forge posted:

This may or may not be bad rear end due to questionable things like "there's no way he can get leverage to do that" and "the rock near his hands would just break off before a lot of damage was done"

Incredible Hulk vol. 2 #64

He must be pissed at that lizard. :ohdear:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
There's this picture of Hulk lifting a mountain that's just complete crap, as that mountain would just crumble and bury Hulk in rubble. Or are the writers trying to tell me that Hulk has the same powers of tactile telekinesis as Superman? I find that highly unlikely.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Kelley Jones does Spongebob

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

There's this picture of Hulk lifting a mountain that's just complete crap, as that mountain would just crumble and bury Hulk in rubble. Or are the writers trying to tell me that Hulk has the same powers of tactile telekinesis as Superman? I find that highly unlikely.

Shut up

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

:sigh:

Look, it's easy. The Flash travels at the speed of Plot.

No, I mean that literally.

The Flash travels as fast as he needs to. That's the whole point of the Speed Force. When he's aware of how fast he's going, then the worry about it makes it so that he might vanish into the Speed Force, but when he's too busy, as when he's saving a city full of people at much faster than the speed of light, he doesn't realize how much danger he's in and exceeds his limits.

Ta-da! Problem solved. Let's leave it alone until the next time someone posts that page six months from now, okay?

tldr: It's all in the Flash's head.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

jng2058 posted:

The Flash travels as fast as he needs to. That's the whole point of the Speed Force. When he's aware of how fast he's going, then the worry about it makes it so that he might vanish into the Speed Force, but when he's too busy, as when he's saving a city full of people at much faster than the speed of light, he doesn't realize how much danger he's in and exceeds his limits.

Ta-da! Problem solved. Let's leave it alone until the next time someone posts that page six months from now, okay?

So, basically "Wile E. Coyote running off a cliff," then? He can continue running on thin air as long as he doesn't look down because he doesn't realize he's running on thin air?

I'm okay with that. Disbelief: suspended.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Then post most of the death-defying stunts almost every superhero in almost every comic has ever done. I [SNIP]

I am 100% on board with this!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ecavalli posted:

So, basically "Wile E. Coyote running off a cliff," then? He can continue running on thin air as long as he doesn't look down because he doesn't realize he's running on thin air?

I'm okay with that. Disbelief: suspended.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

jng2058 posted:

Look, man, I don't give a poo poo if the flash goes faster than the speed of light. I don't care HOW fast he goes. Just don't tell me in omniscient narrator boxes exactly how fast he's going if you're gonna be wrong about it. The narrative does not benefit in any way from knowing he took .00001 microseconds to save those people instead of .01 microseconds, or 1 second, or whatever. I won't look behind the curtain if you don't leave it open.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 10, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You are some joyless sonsabitches, y'all know that?
It's comic books. Half the time it literally is "A wizard did it." Stop trying to apply scientific rules, that poo poo went out the window a long time ago.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
The speed of light in the DC Universe is faster than in the real world. There, problem solved. Now shut up and post some panels.

Secret Wars #1, 616 vs Ultimate Universe

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 10, 2015

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Again: What is the context here.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

Again: What is the context here.

It's the final incursion between the Marvel universe and the Ultimate Universe. Colossus just dropped the Hulks as artillery to hit SHIELD on the other side. Then the flipped the whole loving building because it's time to kill every one time.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yes, I can see everything past your first sentence. :\ that is all clearly in the panels.
Why are these universes colliding? I mean, hulk knocks over buildings all the time. Not really something new.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

Why are these universes colliding?

You need to read like the last 3 years of Avengers/New Avengers but the short of it is that the Beyonoders are dicks.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yes, I can see everything past your first sentence. :\ that is all clearly in the panels.
Why are these universes colliding? I mean, hulk knocks over buildings all the time. Not really something new.
Because literally all of the universes have collided and these are the last two remaining. It's been A Thing for the last few years.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

None of that poo poo matters. Three people just picked up a building and threw it. That is literally the only context you need.
EDIT: lol holy poo poo I thought I got beaten badly.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's part of Hickman's Avengers arc that's been going on for several years at this point. The multiverse is collapsing, two universes collide with each other and either one is destroyed or both are. Then, after you've murdered a few billion people to save everyone you know and love, you hit the next universe in the line and have to do it all over again.

This is the end, only 616 and the Ultimate Universe remain. Everyone dies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

Because the multiverse is dying and those are the last two universes left and they're smashing into each other.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
And then there will be some Kamen Rider Decade bullshit about how by destroying the other universes they were actually saving them and everything is okay now really :arghfist::saddowns:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
So Crisis on Infinite Earths again?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Malachite_Dragon posted:

And then there will be some Kamen Rider Decade bullshit about how by destroying the other universes they were actually saving them and everything is okay now really :arghfist::saddowns:

This is what Doom did.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is what Doom did.

Praise be to Doom

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wade Wilson posted:

Sssh

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wade Wilson posted:

This one has a flaming Galactus lawn ornament, so it's better by a fair margin.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Avulsion posted:

He quoted the wrong page:

Yeah, whoops, linked the wrong one. It almost says "COP KILLER" or "OUR KILLER". There was more than a little subtle, messed up humor in Punisher MAX.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Why are these universes colliding?

Because comics ran out of ideas 30 years ago, and we keep rewarding them for it with our cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
You're all missing the point. Did you see the building? They flipped the bitch!