Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Sydin posted:

Let's just agree that the entire bay area is complete poo poo in general, it's easier.

Seriously though, the job is here for the time being, but as soon as my roomies graduate next summer I'm getting the gently caress out of dodge. I'm sick of paying one of the highest CoL's in the nation to be surrounded by lovely people, a lovely culture, and the worst designed freeways on the planet.

Come to Miami sometime, we have such sights to show you. :cenobite:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Sydin posted:

Let's just agree that the entire bay area is complete poo poo in general, it's easier.

Seriously though, the job is here for the time being, but as soon as my roomies graduate next summer I'm getting the gently caress out of dodge. I'm sick of paying one of the highest CoL's in the nation to be surrounded by lovely people, a lovely culture, and the worst designed freeways on the planet.

You seem pretty pissed off, i hope you can get out soon. What bastion of culture will you be off to next?

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You seem pretty pissed off, i hope you can get out soon. What bastion of culture will you be off to next?

If it isn't "Los Angeles" it is a lie or false hope.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DeadlyMuffin posted:

San Bernardino

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Legitimately no idea. :v: Maybe I'll skulk back to Chicago like the rest of my family did.

Boot and Rally posted:

If it isn't "Los Angeles" it is a lie or false hope.
Honestly wouldn't mind moving back to LA, assuming I could find a good gig there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LOL at thinking the freeways in LA will be an improvement. Or the attitudes, or, for that matter, the cost of living.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Leperflesh posted:

LOL at thinking the freeways in LA will be an improvement. Or the attitudes, or, for that matter, the cost of living.

I'll take the 5 over the mess up here any day. At least down there they know how to build merges without introducing massive weaving, and double yellow the loving carpool.
For attitudes, I'm really just sick of silicon valley tech culture. Which presents something of a paradox for me, since I'm a silicon valley tech worker. :negative: I'd be inclined to go somewhere like Seattle or Austin, but on top of not really solving the CoL issue, all that'll do is get me silicon valley culture lite, with a healthy mix of people hating me for being a California transplant.

Basically "love the work, hate the people" describes my misanthropic rear end pretty well.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Instead you should move to LA and use public transportation :mrgw:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Basically everything about living in LA is an improvement over the bay area.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

fronz posted:

Instead you should move to LA and use public transportation :mrgw:

Don't worry, City of LA has your back on that sarcastic comment!

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-mobility-debate-20150809-story.html#page=1

:qq: what do you mean you're going to expand bus and bike lanes at the cost of drivability? :qq: I didn't mean in MY neighborhood :qq:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

Basically everything about living in LA is an improvement over the bay area.

I'm glad people think this so that maybe they'll go live there.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

incoherent posted:

:qq: what do you mean you're going to expand bus and bike lanes at the cost of drivability? :qq: I didn't mean in MY neighborhood :qq:

Unless aliens are going to come down and reform LA with magic future nanobots ... that really is likely to be a disastrous mess.

quote:

Taking away lanes, which creates congestion, to try and force people to choose a different method of transportation other than the car, is a horrible way to solve a congestion problem," he said. "Why? It creates more congestion

Basically this. Road rage shootings will rise. I guess thats good? More water for the survivors? :furyroad:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gooddamn you Bay Area people really get butthurt when someone suggests that SF isn't the best city on the planet and might want to live somewhere else.

Papercut posted:

San Bernardino

This, but unironically. Riverside is looking spend a few hundred mil on a new mass transit system and a ton of housing projects are starting in the downtown.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Gooddamn you Bay Area people really get butthurt when someone suggests that SF isn't the best city on the planet and might want to live somewhere else.

Nah, you're just underestimating the housing problems in the Bay. If someone said they liked swimming people'd suggest they start at Ocean Beach and head West, just to free up their lodging.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

incoherent posted:

Don't worry, City of LA has your back on that sarcastic comment!

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-mobility-debate-20150809-story.html#page=1

This plan owns. In the long run, transit, walk, and bike improvements mean less congestion, not more.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

FRINGE posted:

Unless aliens are going to come down and reform LA with magic future nanobots ... that really is likely to be a disastrous mess.

Basically this. Road rage shootings will rise. I guess thats good? More water for the survivors? :furyroad:

From what I understand, widening roads tends not to have any positive long term effects on congestion. Might as well encourage alternate forms of transportation, especially if it means people who can't afford cars can get around easier.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

FRINGE posted:

quote:

Planning officials say they relied on "conservative, vehicle-centric" projections in evaluating the mobility plan's potential effects. Put another way, they assumed that the percentage of drivers who choose to give up their cars and start bicycling, walking and taking public transit will remain in line with current traffic patterns.
Well yeah, if you assume that converting a whole bunch of regular traffic lanes into bus lanes and bike lanes will result in the exact same number of people driving, bussing, and biking, then of course that means traffic will get worse.

But that's an incredibly silly assumption, I don't understand why the city's environment impact plan would do that. I understand predicting these things is hard, but just going "no change whatsoever" just seems like a cop-out.

edit:

quote:

Westside Councilman Mike Bonin, a key backer of the plan, says he does not believe the worst-case scenarios used by the city will come true. Instead, he pointed to figures that indicate the mobility plan's projects will increase walking by 38%, transit use by 56% and bicycling by 170%.
Cool, but it'd be nice if they mentioned where said figures actually came from.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 10, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I know it isn't really comparable, but Boise ran a trial program like this a few years ago in some of the heavier downtown traffic corridors. They cut a few streets with 4 lanes down to 3, and converted the other lane into extra parking and a bike path. The way they set it up, the parked cars blocked the bike lane from traffic. What had once been a harrowing bike ride on a foot wide bike path with a foot high curb on your right and cars on your left so close you could touch them, suddenly became a nice path that was wide enough to maneuver and protected you from traffic.

This was on a major street next to the University, the core of downtown, and some major parks. It worked great.

Of course, cutting that one lane out made traffic back up further in the other 3 lanes at the traffic lights, and drivers noticed this. What they didn't notice was that their drive times were not impacted. They studied this for like 6 months, and they found that traffic still flowed at the same rate, and people were not delayed at all. The only thing drivers noticed however was that they backed up further at the traffic lights than they were used to. They had a city wide vote involving different forms and internet, etc... and people voted to remove the bike lane and open the traffic lane back up. Every single city planner and engineer was crying in their beer after that, because no matter what information they released to show that traffic was not harmed by this experiment, drivers were mad.

You heard a lot of poo poo about how bikers needed to pay taxes to support the roads and infrastructure, they needed to be licensed like cars were, etc. Most of the people driving on that road don't even live in Boise, they live in Nampa and Caldwell, two gentrified cities connected to Boise but not part of it. They commute 20 miles each way for work into Boise, then drive home 20 miles at the end of the day to their little mini mansion they bought dirt cheap on old farmland. It took decades to force those two poo poo towns to even start doing air quality tests on their registered vehicles, which sucked because most of their lovely cars were driving into Boise every day. Plus, the area is one big valley so air pollution doesn't care where it is created, it just tends to hang around depending on the weather.

Edit: now I'm in San Diego and I regularly see exit lanes on the freeway backed up for miles, because the exit ramp only holds so many cars and then there is a traffic light at the end everyone has to stop at. It was probably a good design decision when it was built, but holy gently caress. Too many cars and outdated infrastructure suddenly hit me in the face the first few times I saw this.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 10, 2015

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FCKGW posted:

This, but unironically. Riverside is looking spend a few hundred mil on a new mass transit system and a ton of housing projects are starting in the downtown.

I mean, whatever live wherever you want, but anyone who pretends they'd rather live in Riverside than SF for any reason other than cost-of-living is either lying or retarded.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Papercut posted:

I mean, whatever live wherever you want, but anyone who pretends they'd rather live in Riverside than SF for any reason other than cost-of-living is either lying or retarded.

Yes it's true.

But SF is kind of second-rate compared to a real metropole. The whole Bay Area goes to bed at 8:30PM, the City is overrun with autistic computer science bros playing bean bag toss in the parks, no one has any fashion sense worth a drat and everyone is obsessed with their next startup.

Riverside is a post-zombie apocalypse dead zone, and LA culture is finally starting to make up for the fact that it's a transportation nightmare and it's full of angelinos. So of course they're going to fail in comparison to SF, but if you've spent more than a day and a half in New York, London, or hell even New Orleans, then you know that SF is remarkably provincial.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Really the East Bay is where the cool kids hang out. Oakland and Berkeley have all the nice parts of the City without having to live in San Francisco.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Berkeley is full of assholes.

Edit: But seriously I've never seen people so quick to get visibly furious at service employees over and seeming slight as in Berkeley. Everyone needs to be a goddamn princess all the time.

Also AC transit is garbage and bike boulevards are the worst bike path system.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 10, 2015

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bip Roberts posted:

Berkeley is full of assholes.

Millionaire assholes who still think they're radical progressives but actually they're NIMBY sellouts who continue to insist that Oakland is a different city.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FCKGW posted:

Yeah I gotta tell you I'm not sure about this streetcar dealio. I mean let's hope it works.

Places I've lived in CA, rated:

north San Diego
Riverside
Berkley near Oakland
northwest Los Angeles
Lake Forest

This is price-to-performance. Obviously I know Lake Forest has way nicer weather than Riverside.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 10, 2015

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

TildeATH posted:

Millionaire assholes who still think they're radical progressives but actually they're NIMBY sellouts who continue to insist that Oakland is a different city.

Yeah, Berkeley is awful, if you're living there for any reason other than being a student/working for the UC then you've made a terrible mistake (I made this mistake for several years). Oakland is cool though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Papercut posted:

Yeah, Berkeley is awful, if you're living there for any reason other than being a student/working for the UC then you've made a terrible mistake (I made this mistake for several years). Oakland is cool though.
Well, except for the fact that it's much safer. It's pretty funny though how many goons think they're invulnerable supermen.

Oh, and better schools.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Papercut posted:

I stayed near the bottom of the UC for a bit. The food in that neighborhood was loving great.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Cicero posted:

Well, except for the fact that it's much safer. It's pretty funny though how many goons think they're invulnerable supermen.

Oh, and better schools.

Other than the endless armed robberies in South Berkeley.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It really depends where you are in Oakland. There are plenty of perfectly safe places . . . And a lot of hilariously unsafe places. But as long as you know how to walk ands look at the same time you are as safe as you are anywhere. Affordability becomes an issue since safe = expensive but that's the bay area in general. If you are complaining about rent as a transplant, then you are really living in the wrong place. Sucks for the natives though.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
My opinion on basically the entire Bay Area has changed dramatically since I started lane splitting.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 11, 2015

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

tirinal posted:

My opinion on basically the entire Bay Area has changed dramatically since I started lane splitting.

How many Prius drivers have tried to cardoor you?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

At least the "Oakland is scary and crime is on the rise!" idea that came about during the Recession slowed down gentrification for a few years and the pansy whitebread hipsters and tech people are only recently getting back in the habit of opening antique shops in West Oakland again.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Sydin posted:

How many Prius drivers have tried to cardoor you?

I'm pretty sure their door is worth more than my bike, and I'm also pretty sure they know it.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

At least the "Oakland is scary and crime is on the rise!" idea that came about during the Recession slowed down gentrification for a few years and the pansy whitebread hipsters and tech people are only recently getting back in the habit of opening antique shops in West Oakland again.

I'm pretty sure the "Oakland is scary and crime is on the rise!" idea has been around for decades (even when crime is dropping), and exists because lots of non-black people are scared of black people, lots of wealthy people are scared of poor people, and also because Oakland has a high crime rate. It has nothing to do with the recession. Also, I wasn't aware that the recession caused the gentrification of west Oakland to stop/slow down...it seems to me that the gentrification train kept on rolling, whether in SF, Oakland, LA, NYC, etc. Though housing prices have gotten extra crazy in the Bay Area in the past few years thanks to the combination of way too little housing and the tech boom.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It does concern me that the Oakland police dept. announced last year that they were officially not responding to burglaries any more (lack of personnel).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It does concern me that the Oakland police dept. announced last year that they were officially not responding to burglaries any more (lack of personnel).

They will try to respond to one in progress, they just won't come to take a report from you, instead you have to go to them. That does suck.

Also OPD like many California departments uses Stingrays without warrants.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trabisnikof posted:

They will try to respond to one in progress, they just won't come to take a report from you, instead you have to go to them. That does suck.
Which means they won't see evidence, if any, and won't be able to build connections between robberies.

quote:

Also OPD like many California departments uses Stingrays without warrants.

I thiiiiiiink you may not even be able to get a warrant to use a Stingray because you sign contracts promising not to reveal any information about what they do.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Which means they won't see evidence, if any, and won't be able to build connections between robberies.

I thiiiiiiink you may not even be able to get a warrant to use a Stingray because you sign contracts promising not to reveal any information about what they do.

Oh I agreed, but OPD has poo poo for resources anyway so the fact there's a 1:10,000 investigator/crime ratio means it doesn't really matter if they collect evidence.

Some departments have gotten warrants, some even have lied to judges about how they got data. Its kinda a tossup.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Oakland often ranks as one of the most dangerous cities in the US. San Francisco's crime has shot up in the past two years, too. Arrests are officially reported to have gone 'down', which basically means most 'minor' crimes like strong arm robberies and burglaries aren't bothered with. Overall, the entire area feels a heck of a lot less safe. I probably don't go a single day without seeing a car window smashed, and I live in what some people consider a 'nice neighborhood'. I know it's anecdotal, but I've also started witnessing crimes in broad daylight, which something I can't say I've ever seen before.

I don't know if it's a side-effect of that prop 47 thing being passed, or things are just getting rougher in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Space-Bird posted:

Oakland often ranks as one of the most dangerous cities in the US. San Francisco's crime has shot up in the past two years, too. Arrests are officially reported to have gone 'down', which basically means most 'minor' crimes like strong arm robberies and burglaries aren't bothered with. Overall, the entire area feels a heck of a lot less safe. I probably don't go a single day without seeing a car window smashed, and I live in what some people consider a 'nice neighborhood'. I know it's anecdotal, but I've also started witnessing crimes in broad daylight, which something I can't say I've ever seen before.

I don't know if it's a side-effect of that prop 47 thing being passed, or things are just getting rougher in general.
Actually, all that "crime" that you "see" simply consists of delusions brought about by being a pansy whitebread hipster.