Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

It's super quick to dig hellevators with a good pick. Just turn on smart cursor and dig downward, it'll automatically make a two-tile wide shaft. Mirror back to the top and do it again on the edge of the shaft to make a four-tile-wide shaft. Just be ready to deal with water and lava in your path.

With smart cursor, a decent pick and a lava charm you dig down so fast that even if you go into a lava pond you can outrun the lava going down, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

President Ark posted:

If it's underground, it won't be able to spread in the jungle. Corruption/crimson grass can't grow underground.

I've actually found a corrupt spot deep in my underground jungle post Moon Lord. It's the weirdest thing. The spot had converted the existing jungle grass to corrupt grass. It wasn't very big at all. Of course, I had to clentaminate it and now there's a tiny patch of green grass growing amidst the jungle. :psyduck:

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

I've actually found a corrupt spot deep in my underground jungle post Moon Lord. It's the weirdest thing. The spot had converted the existing jungle grass to corrupt grass. It wasn't very big at all. Of course, I had to clentaminate it and now there's a tiny patch of green grass growing amidst the jungle. :psyduck:

You sure it wasn't red moss? It looks crimson related, but has nothing to do with it.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Qylvaran posted:

You sure it wasn't red moss? It looks crimson related, but has nothing to do with it.

I don't think moss gets converted by the clentaminator

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Pakled posted:

I'd say make some 3-block wide wooden barriers in the ground on each side of the spreading biomes at the surface going down 10 blocks or so, but other than that you should be fine.

Are you telling me all that time I spent OCD sectioning my world with 3-block-wide hellavator shafts was wasted? :smith:

Also, as a general early Hardmode query, does the Witch Doctor actually need to have his house in the underground jungle or can I just temporarily drag him over to a room with a statue to buy the wings?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Qylvaran posted:

It was definitely corruption. Just a small splotch of purple grass in the deep jungle. :shrug:

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Mailer posted:

Also, as a general early Hardmode query, does the Witch Doctor actually need to have his house in the underground jungle or can I just temporarily drag him over to a room with a statue to buy the wings?

Surface jungle works fine, but I think you do need his house to be there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Wraiths seem to forget they can move through blocks quite easily.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey man, moving through blocks is easy. Jumping is hard work.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah, wraiths can't actually fly, they just have very long invisible legs.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Qylvaran posted:

Surface jungle works fine, but I think you do need his house to be there.

I don't even think you need that. My witch doctor just moved into an ordinary available room in my main base.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

I don't even think you need that. My witch doctor just moved into an ordinary available room in my main base.

He sells more stuff if he's in the Jungle.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

I've seen this happen with floaty grosses and those larger wraith things during the solar eclipse, too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah creatures with that wraith AI can't actually fly, they can only hover a few tiles and pass through walls. If there's a bunch of solid blocks for them to move through they can swim upwards using them, but if there's just air then they're stuck.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

i'm sure if you teleport the witch doctor to the jungle he'll sell jungle stuff. doesn't have to actually live there. same with steampunker for solutions and such

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I did exactly that with the painter to get all his biome specific paintings.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Tonight I discovered that Martian Drones don't exclusively spawn in the sky/space. One was camping my cave path to the underground jungle. Gave me a bit of a startle before I blew it the hell up.

Currently rocking a Kraken yoyo + bag, possessed hatchet, vampire knives, and ichor flask + fire gauntlet + frost armor (Have the beetle shells, farming the turtle+chlorophyte). I'm technically a melee character, but... yeah... :getin:

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

He sells more stuff if he's in the Jungle.

Oh snap, really? gently caress. . . .

So now I need to make him a jungle home and reallocate him there I suppose.

Would be kind of cool if you could learn that poo poo without having to use the Wiki, but the game is so awesome, I'll let it pass.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
The dryad sells mushroom seeds if you move her into a mushroom biome as well. Not a huge difference though.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
There's actually a surprising amount of that bullshit. Merchant and Clothier sell stuff in Snow Biome, Pirate sells a pet in the Ocean Biome, Steampunker sells different solutions based on the biome, and Painter actually has something different for every god drat biome.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

President Ark posted:

If it's underground, it won't be able to spread in the jungle. Corruption/crimson grass can't grow underground.

Yeah this isn't true. When I killed Wall of Flesh the Crimson patch went right next to my jungle and was slowly taking it over. It did seem to get stopped at a certain point but it was definitely spreading underground.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
I seem to have reached what I feel is a bit of sticking point. I've beaten up to and including Golem now and have Shroomite Armor and Megashark/Stynger as my main gear. What should I be aiming to get / do now? Are the biome keys really worth the stupid grind required for them? Any other weapons I should be looking to get as ranged now or even other stuff that will help me out?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Asciana posted:

I seem to have reached what I feel is a bit of sticking point. I've beaten up to and including Golem now and have Shroomite Armor and Megashark/Stynger as my main gear. What should I be aiming to get / do now? Are the biome keys really worth the stupid grind required for them? Any other weapons I should be looking to get as ranged now or even other stuff that will help me out?

Duke Fishron has a pretty kickass bow. After that there's the Halloween and Christmas invasion events (though I totally skipped them) and then it's on to the Cultist.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
With the exception of the vampire knives, the biome weapons aren't really worth farming for when you can just fight the pillars for better gear. The only biome key ranged weapon is pretty crap iirc.

It might be worth farming up a scope so you can combine it with the destroyer (or avenger, I forget) emblem. If the cultist is too hard with just the stynger, you can try the pumpkin moon invasion, or fishron.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I did the frost/pumpkin moon events after I got the terrarian. The pumpkin moon was dead easy (:haw:), there are a million spawns, especially at the end, but they tend to stack on top of each other so I could damage the entire stack at once for hilarious dpm. The frost moon was harder because nothing wanted to spawn in any appreciable number. I barely made wave 15, but I was never in any danger of actually dying.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

How does the Beam Sword compare to the Cutlass?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Wow, the basic hardcore metals are kind of stupid, aren't they?

I mean, they only really seem to gate each other - you don't actually spend any appreciable time in them. I created a full set of Cobalt Armor and a pickaxe (made a drill first, but man the pickaxe seems better). From there, I just ripped through Mythril so fast, it seems pointless to even have it. Basically, I've realized that you can just chug Spelunking Potions, Mining Potions, and Obsidian Potions and just blast your way through the top of hell mass gathering everything.

Are you actually supposed to use the Cobalt/Mythril armor separately for a stage of the game (one where you're actually exploring/fighting things for any length of time in that armor)? Because right now, it seems like they are basically just pointless, as you can just hellevator down, gather all three of the ore types so quickly that you might as well just gather enough Adamantite while you're down there to just jump straight to that armor type (obviously, you need to pop back quickly to make the appropriate pick and anvil to jump to the next level). It's like Cobalt/Mythril are basically just useless.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SlyFrog posted:

I mean, they only really seem to gate each other - you don't actually spend any appreciable time in them. I created a full set of Cobalt Armor and a pickaxe (made a drill first, but man the pickaxe seems better). From there, I just ripped through Mythril so fast, it seems pointless to even have it. Basically, I've realized that you can just chug Spelunking Potions, Mining Potions, and Obsidian Potions and just blast your way through the top of hell mass gathering everything.

Are you actually supposed to use the Cobalt/Mythril armor separately for a stage of the game (one where you're actually exploring/fighting things for any length of time in that armor)? Because right now, it seems like they are basically just pointless, as you can just hellevator down, gather all three of the ore types so quickly that you might as well just gather enough Adamantite while you're down there to just jump straight to that armor type (obviously, you need to pop back quickly to make the appropriate pick and anvil to jump to the next level). It's like Cobalt/Mythril are basically just useless.

Don't be absurd.

What you're "supposed" to do is save all your crates from fishing, open them up when you start hardmode, and skip straight up to Adamantite/Titanium with the bars/ore the crates give you.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Supremezero posted:

Don't be absurd.

What you're "supposed" to do is save all your crates from fishing, open them up when you start hardmode, and skip straight up to Adamantite/Titanium with the bars/ore the crates give you.

Yeah I'm doing another run through and this is basically it. I had to go find like 60-70 more Adamantite Ore to get the full armor set but I had enough for the drill and like 40 bars of Adamantite just from saving up crates from fishing.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

Well, it depends on whether you're a seasoned Terraria veteran who already knows the quickest most optimal way of doing things in advance or not! If you don't already know that the roof of hell is both the safest and one of the more abundant places to gather high-level ores in early hard mode, and you don't already know how to deal with the hardmode enemies, and you might not necessarily be toting the absolute best pre-hardmode weapons, you might find yourself having trouble hunting ore with pre-hardmode armor.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, it depends on whether you're a seasoned Terraria veteran who already knows the quickest most optimal way of doing things in advance or not! If you don't already know that the roof of hell is both the safest and one of the more abundant places to gather high-level ores in early hard mode, and you don't already know how to deal with the hardmode enemies, and you might not necessarily be toting the absolute best pre-hardmode weapons, you might find yourself having trouble hunting ore with pre-hardmode armor.

That's fair. And to a degree, while I did not intentionally min/max pre-hardmode, I did take a long time to get through it, so I almost by default had the best things you could get.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cobalt/Palladium armour is good for general exploring until you get Adamntium/Titanium. Mythril/Orichalcum is a middle ground armour if you don't have quite enough for a complete set. It's much the same as how there are four metal tiers before the second pre-hardmode boss; you don't need to progress through complete sets of them all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm glad those metals exist because they look nice. Too bad I don't have any cobalt ore in my world though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Really the last great thing this game needs is a Very Large world with all the ores and both evil biomes.

That and maybe loot in the underground desert.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

RatHat posted:

Yeah this isn't true. When I killed Wall of Flesh the Crimson patch went right next to my jungle and was slowly taking it over. It did seem to get stopped at a certain point but it was definitely spreading underground.

Well, yes, it'll spread through stone. But if it's just mud all it can do is convert it to dirt, it cannot subsequently grow crimson in it. It will also be able to spread immediately below the surface but it won't be able to spread below where the background changes the first time, which is the first "real" underground layer.

There's basically nothing of consequence in the jungle above that point anyway.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 10, 2015

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

The orichalcum set bonus is really cool and I wish I could move it onto a better set.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

President Ark posted:

There's basically nothing of consequence in the jungle above that point anyway.

But what if I want to be stomped by derplings and divebombed by tortoises while fishing???

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
nothing goes through walls there, just wall yourself in. Don't even half to be fancy about entry, just mine in and out instead of using wires and actuators

e: also jungle biome fishing has a summoning potion ingredient.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I always kind of felt that would be cool if you could "alloy" the different types of ore for each tier. It would be functionally useless, nine times out of ten, but it would give some new building materials and armor and weapon designs. Like bronze, or electrum.

Also, change lead to nickel, then we can alloy it with iron to get meteorite :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Acne Rain posted:

nothing goes through walls there, just wall yourself in. Don't even half to be fancy about entry, just mine in and out instead of using wires and actuators

e: also jungle biome fishing has a summoning potion ingredient.

Pffft. Please. Being fancy about things you can do mundanely is what this game's all about.