Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Geirskogul posted:

What the gently caress is this?

It's ugly as gently caress

It's awesome as gently caress is what it is. Sorry about your wrongness, bro. Although the owner seems to be trying his hardest to gently caress it up with fart pipes and an AutoZone hoodscoop. Poor VehiCross. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

neckbeard posted:

Also, when did these LED lights become a thing for Bel Airs? I've never seen any before

(the second one did have an Edelbrock/Musi 555ci under the hood though)

They're H4 conversion housings that also happen to have LED "angel eyes". They work on anything that has 7" sealed beams/halogens. Ebay is lousy with them.
Nice looking '55s though. I don't mind the headlights much. I don't like the "diamond cut" faceting more than the LED rings.

The best conversion like that I've seen involved BMW E30/32/34 ellipsoid projectors in a car with 4 5" headlights. I'd like to something like that in my Cutlass. Possibly HID projectors with an amber LED ring to use as park/turn signals, since I'd like to use the holes in the bumpers for the park lights as air scoops.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I almost love the '55 more than the '57.

Almost.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

Wouldn't that tape just melt?

I thought so too until I looked closer, that muffler isn't actually getting any exhaust through it. There's a hole (right in front of the tailpipe) where it attaches to the forward part of the exhaust system. It's hanging on by that tape and a rubber hanger under the car.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Uthor posted:

PT Cruiser with chrome side exhausts!

note the real rear exhausts they didn't bother hiding.

Now I'm not actually going to defend a PT cruiser, because I'm sure those are just fake pipes anyway; even if they were real it would sound like poo poo. But, that's actually not as dumb a design as you think. Notice that the exits are capped off. Those are called lake pipes. The idea being that you have a Y in each exhaust pipe; one path goes through the mufflers and out the back, and the other path goes out the side pipes, unmuffled. You keep the side exits capped most of the time, but remove them for racin'. You see them a lot on street rods; I often wonder if they're actually hooked up because I never see them uncapped.

E: Also, right rear tire is on backwards. LR isn't. Hm.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sofullofhate posted:

I almost love the '55 more than the '57.

Almost.

A primer grey '55 210 post coupe is basically the definition of Hot Rod, to me. Bonus points for Hillborn injection, a solid front axle/altered wheelbase, bias-ply slicks, a big block Chevrolet, twin quads on a tunnel ram, a roots blower through the hood, six strombergs, or any combination thereof.

I'm basically Mike Finnegan, but with less skill and resolve to see my dream through.

My beard is stronger, though.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Raluek posted:

Now I'm not actually going to defend a PT cruiser, because I'm sure those are just fake pipes anyway; even if they were real it would sound like poo poo. But, that's actually not as dumb a design as you think. Notice that the exits are capped off. Those are called lake pipes. The idea being that you have a Y in each exhaust pipe; one path goes through the mufflers and out the back, and the other path goes out the side pipes, unmuffled. You keep the side exits capped most of the time, but remove them for racin'. You see them a lot on street rods; I often wonder if they're actually hooked up because I never see them uncapped.

E: Also, right rear tire is on backwards. LR isn't. Hm.

What's the point of that when a cutout (or 2) with a dump is easier and less weight?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Friend of a friend just posted this to his wall (bragging) on Facebook. Apparently he didn't get the memo.

Edit: My favorite reply so far - "It looks like a LeBaron cluster!"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FuzzKill posted:

Friend of a friend just posted this to his wall (bragging) on Facebook. Apparently he didn't get the memo.

The only car that I'd be suspicious that the odometer had been rolled forward on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DiggityDoink posted:

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the 80's were terrible though. Even the cars that are cool for that decade were smogged to poo poo or had all sorts of hideous safety stuff added to it before they knew how to do either of those correctly.

This post is terrible car stuff.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

FuzzKill posted:

We need to get this poor sod an account, like, yesterday. I want to taste his tears

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not up on my Maserati dashboards, but by the comments I'm guessing that's a Biturbo

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

FuzzKill posted:

Looks nothing like a LeBaron cluster :colbert:

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm not up on my Maserati dashboards, but by the comments I'm guessing that's a Biturbo

Chrysler TC "By Maserati".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_TC_by_Maserati

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
They were nailed together in Italy tho

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Bajaha posted:

As an owner of a polarizing oddball, the Isuzu owns bones. Although I'm also a sucker for the so-ugly-it-looks-good school of automotive design.

I've only ever seen a few in person but it always makes me do a double take.

I've loved the VehiCross since I first saw it as a kid. I have this weird soft spot for some Izusus and I don't know why. Someone in my neighborhood drives a loving Axiom and I think it's rad as hell.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

TC gauges:

Look nothing like the ones posted earlier.

:colbert:

(in all fairness I guess the TC's gauges do look like Lebaron gauges though)

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 9, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I've loved the VehiCross since I first saw it as a kid. I have this weird soft spot for some Izusus and I don't know why. Someone in my neighborhood drives a loving Axiom and I think it's rad as hell.

I loving loved the Axiom's styling. Two years ago I was actively looking for one but I guess they are massive piles of unreliable poo poo.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

Look nothing like the ones posted earlier.

You're right. they're biturbo gauges. My bad.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

FuzzKill posted:

Why are the rpms represented in hundreds rather than thousands? Is that common for Italian cars?

Edit: both Chrysler ones above are like that too, maybe that's just how it was in the 80s.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 10, 2015

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

:stonk:

THE COLOR!!!

I didn't really need retinas anyway.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

GutBomb posted:

Why are the rpms represented in hundreds rather than thousands? Is that common for Italian cars?

Edit: both Chrysler ones above are like that too, maybe that's just how it was in the 80s.

They are represented in thousands?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's x 100 instead of x 1000 like all the modern cars I've ever had.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

GutBomb posted:

It's x 100 instead of x 1000 like all the modern cars I've ever had.

But the numbers on the cluster are tens, so it still indicates thousands.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I understand that. I've never seen it this way with tens x 100 before and was wondering if that was commonplace or a weird Italian thing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GutBomb posted:

I understand that. I've never seen it this way with tens x 100 before and was wondering if that was commonplace or a weird Italian thing.

It seems like a few cars I had from the 70's were like that, but it's been a long time, so I might just be remembering wrong. It does look kind of odd now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GutBomb posted:

My E21 and E12 both had tachos in x100.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I love the cost cutting in a grand tourer:

"Hey, you think that we should get screenprinting done on the instrument binnacle for 'unleaded fuel only'"?

"No - grab the stick-on label printer from the records department".

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Those 'unleaded only' labels are only applicable to the US market so no doubt the sticker was a complete afterthought.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The Locator posted:

It seems like a few cars I had from the 70's were like that, but it's been a long time, so I might just be remembering wrong. It does look kind of odd now.

My MKV GTI does x100s, but I see they switched to x1000s for subsequent models.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I loving loved the Axiom's styling. Two years ago I was actively looking for one but I guess they are massive piles of unreliable poo poo.

Like the Vehicross, I feel the Axiom's styling was ahead of its time. I wasn't a fan of the Axiom at first, but 5 years later all the other SUVs started looking similar to it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GutBomb posted:

If I had to guess, looks like the styling is reminiscent of plane gauges which measure altitude in hundreds.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Wasabi the J posted:

If I had to guess, looks like the styling is reminiscent of plane gauges which measure altitude in hundreds.

My old Fiat had a tachometer that read in hundreds instead of thousands.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

My favorite thing about the cluster is that the speedo stop is set at 18mph.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's awesome as gently caress is what it is. Sorry about your wrongness, bro. Although the owner seems to be trying his hardest to gently caress it up with fart pipes and an AutoZone hoodscoop. Poor VehiCross. :(

Somebody at work has one. It's the ironman edition. I had no idea what it was or how rare it was. I like how it looks.

HDC
Mar 11, 2006

nm posted:

Uhm, that was a 1942 Lincoln Zephyr v12 coupe. Also, they were doing at least 55mph in the right lane, which is hardly so slow as to constitute a hazard -- trucker wasn't paying attention.
Car is owned by the owner of one of the only officially commissioned Contential MKII convertibles. (http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/06/look-at-what-i-found-1956-continental-mark-ii-convertible-by-hess-eisenhardt/)
I assume this was in similarly good condition before the trucker murdered it.

Oh it was... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mcrWoVvf33M

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

angryhampster posted:

What's the point of that when a cutout (or 2) with a dump is easier and less weight?

I don't think electric cutouts were a thing in the fifties. Plus, I don't think most street rods care much about weight.

The 'cruiser is just aping that style.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

nm posted:

Uhm, that was a 1942 Lincoln Zephyr v12 coupe. Also, they were doing at least 55mph in the right lane, which is hardly so slow as to constitute a hazard -- trucker wasn't paying attention.
Car is owned by the owner of one of the only officially commissioned Contential MKII convertibles. (http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/06/look-at-what-i-found-1956-continental-mark-ii-convertible-by-hess-eisenhardt/)
I assume this was in similarly good condition before the trucker murdered it.

drat, just watched that walk around video, that thing was immaculate. Did either driver survive that wreck? It looks pretty bad in the photo's.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Locator posted:

drat, just watched that walk around video, that thing was immaculate. Did either driver survive that wreck? It looks pretty bad in the photo's.

Yes. Barry and his wife lived. Barry is out of the hospital as far as I know. They had retrofitted seatbelts in, which saved their lives.
some after photos:
http://s244.photobucket.com/user/barry2952/media/1941%20Lincoln%20Zephyr/IMG_2705_zpseiwmpuku.jpg.html

There is some indication the trucker was on a phone or texting. The truck driver is alive as well. No fatalities, thank god.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

nm posted:

Yes. Barry and his wife lived. Barry is out of the hospital as far as I know. They had retrofitted seatbelts in, which saved their lives.
some after photos:
http://s244.photobucket.com/user/barry2952/media/1941%20Lincoln%20Zephyr/IMG_2705_zpseiwmpuku.jpg.html

There is some indication the trucker was on a phone or texting. The truck driver is alive as well. No fatalities, thank god.

So are Lincoln Zephyr's sufficiently rare that that will be restored?

I imagine the truck driver will wish that he had been killed when he gets the at-fault accident bill.