Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

tyrelhill posted:

This new patch is crashing alot on my PS4

It asks me to delete something from the storage but doesn't tell me what to delete, so guess I don't need whatever is on the new patch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Is there a full list anywhere of schematics (like for weapons, armor, etc)? I want to see if I'm missing anything before I finalize my current playthrough and ready it for NG+.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Woah how come? Worst of any modern game is pretty extreme I generally enjoy the battles and think scrounging poo poo together to make potions and bombs is really cool.

well, I like lot of the mechanics, but the lockon/targeting/soft-lock system is like something from a 10 year old game. It's so clunky and you spend so much of combat fighting to just get Geralt to attack in the direction you want. Games like Arkam, Assassin's Creed, and the Arkam-style Shadow of Mordor have basically written the book on how free flow melee targeting should feel. This is a giant and frustrating step back.

also the menus on console are some of the worst i've ever used.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kin posted:

So i've just started playing this properly and am still in the first Zone (for lack of a better word).

I've got a couple of questions though. How does the bomb crafting work (so i can take out those monster hives)? I get that i have to gather the materials, like herbs and poo poo, but i crafted one, used it on one of the hives and when I go into the alchemy menu it says I already have that item. Do i only have to craft it once and i have it for good?

Also, what makes the areas of interest show up? I've visited all of them but don't know what triggered them in the first place. Are they just there by default or do more show up as you periodically check notice boards and chat to npcs or something?

Oh and are there shops i can buy this crafting stuff from? Running around aimlessly hoping to come across certain ingredients is really tedious.

The game does a bad job of explaining it to new players but yes bombs and potions are permanent once you craft them, you just have to rest to refresh them. I wish I knew this a bit earlier.

There are alchemist vendors that have a little leaf symbol. In fact I think you run into one early on during the course of the main quest (Accidentally skipped that step).

PS I am level 11 and though I am early in but according to the ingame time I played 30 hours what the gently caress. This game is cool and Windows 10 made it run better and I'm happy and will probably not buy a new GTX now.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Speaking of potentially broken poo poo, has anyone had good luck with a Jedi build? There are all the skills in the game to play as a Jedi/Sith: force push with Aard, deflect arrows, mind control with Axii, the fast sword skills, and Igni to burn stuff.

I'm at the mid-teens in levels right now on the third difficulty level focused only on signs for my second run. Alt-Yrden takes care of arrows and does good damage, alt-Igni can be leaned on in every fight to do damage and crowd control. Honestly, it's getting a bit routine now and I'm thinking of changing my build so I actually use my sword in a fight.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Superstring posted:

I'm at the mid-teens in levels right now on the third difficulty level focused only on signs for my second run. Alt-Yrden takes care of arrows and does good damage, alt-Igni can be leaned on in every fight to do damage and crowd control. Honestly, it's getting a bit routine now and I'm thinking of changing my build so I actually use my sword in a fight.

Igni's burn effect is seriously the most ridiculous thing; it does a ton of damage that seems to deal a percentage of the target's health (which can be thousands of DPS on some higher-level enemies) and is a powerful crowd control effect. It's the useful parts of Axii/Aard and can be your sole damage source for a majority of enemies. I've been playing on BBB for my entire run so far, and even before getting to insane Sign Intensity levels (~350% with full Superior Griffin gear, full greater 5% intensity runestones, 5/5 Yrden and Igni Intensity perks, Synergy) Igni takes care of pretty much everything. Anything that's immune to burn damage can be slowed/whittled down with Yrden/Yrden Trap pretty handily. Yrden with 100%+ slow is also comically effective to the point where it's practically cheating in some encounters.

Also, did you know that apparently the XX Intensity talents give you +1% general sign intensity in addition to the +5% it gives the specific sign? I sure didn't until I finally paid attention to how my stats were changing as I invested skill points.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 9, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jerusalem posted:

I am, I've noticed no difference between this and 7, other than the Steam Overlay doesn't seem to work properly with the game anymore (at least not through the controller, I can still take screenshots with the keyboard)

Frame rate on 10 seems better though it might be placebo.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Frame rate on 10 seems better though it might be placebo.

It's absolutely better on 10 for me. Enough that I was confident enough to bump certain settings up.

I'm playing the drm free version

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Speaking of potentially broken poo poo, has anyone had good luck with a Jedi build? There are all the skills in the game to play as a Jedi/Sith: force push with Aard, deflect arrows, mind control with Axii, the fast sword skills, and Igni to burn stuff.

I'm pretty much all Signs except 5 points into quick attacks and the obligatory griffin school + rage management. I'm 20 now, having finished most of Velen and still havent really gone into skellige really because I keep getting distracted with side contracts. Yrden and Ignii are both Big Deals

- Igni melt armor / firestream is a must, great source of damage and CC - enemies panicing that they're on fire don't attack you.
- Yrden + magic trap lets you throw down 3 slowing circles and an yrden turret - bigger enemies are so slow you can casually walk behind them to stab em. Big/hard fights ive done have been saved by Yrden circles and its turret, so you can firestream their butts and then stab em a few times.

Beyond that it's mostly flavor/playstyle. I went with axii instead of aard, and Puppet is pretty drat great; mind control the big guy or an archer so his former buddies oneshot him, or just mind control the single big guy and burn/hit him while he won't retaliate. Some types won't be puppetted tho (elementals mostly).

I haven't upgraded Quen a lot, even tho active shield sounds great - you have to keep channeling it. Even tho the upgraded version doesnt drain stamina for keeping it up unless you get hit, you're still just channeling a shield and not doing anything else. The main advantage is that it regenerates vitality if you get hit, but I'd rather just roll and drop a new yrden circle / yrden turret / normal quen and drink a Swallow.
Exploding shield is iffy at best, I just use the base quen with a lot of intensity. The range on exploding shields on dangerous guys doesnt seem worth the points until you have em to spare.

As for the general points, Griffin school gives you stamina regen and sign intensity for medium armor, and rage management lets you cast signs from adrenaline points instead of stamina if you're low. IF you wanted to, you could also get adrenaline burst which makes signs generate adrenaline points - I haven't gotten that yet. Griffin and Rage Mgmt are both essential though, being able to cast a new quen or a new Yrden even if you're low on stamina is a lifesaver.

Edit: this is on Deathmarch difficulty

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 9, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

For a specs reference, I'm on an i5 4570 and an r9 270X (solid mid range) and its smooth and beautiful with high and ultra settings. Turned down foliage and turned off hairworks. I was thinking of getting a 970 but I'm not sure it's worth it now.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
After 1.08 I'm getting weird instances of DOF randomly turning on and making everything blurry. It pretty much started happening once I went to Novigrad. This is on PS4, so no way to turn it off. The postprocessing options seem to have no effect. Anyone else experiencing this?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I have! I have all of the skills from the Fast Attack tree, Arrow Deflection and Fleet Footed from the Defense tree, and Resolve and Undying from the Battle Trance tree. I also have far reaching Aard, and up through Puppet on Axii. I've got Cat School Techniques, and have been rocking all the feline armor and the ursine swords, and I'll never use anything than the dismemberment trophies. It's been a pretty fun build. Aard can be kinda hinky as to how it works; if something is charging or jumping at you, Aard won't knock them down until after they hit you. Puppet can be pretty fun. Sometimes I just dodge around and puppet folks until they die. I never use Quen unless I'm fighting something multiple levels higher than me, and I don't use Yrden unless I'm fighting a wraith. Igni tends to be reserved for bee nests.

My next playthough I'm gonna go as an alchemist swordsman using oils and bombs and heavy armor. I've gotten all the Witcher gear diagrams and have all the mastercrafted swords, and various bits and pieces of mastercrafted armor. I'm gonna kick up the difficulty up a couple of notches and see how it works out.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Why does every patch mess with the graphics options?

And it's completely random. Some settings switch to low, some to medium and some stay at high/ultra. I'm on a GTX 970, so it's not some internal, secret benchmarking.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Any why it says I failed Reason of State even though I did the whole quest line?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Right now I'm at the part of the story where my main quest is to go to the Isle of Mists and also gather people to bring to Kaer Morhen. Am I right in assuming that by going to the Isle of Mists I would be initiating the endgame? That's what it sounds like to me at least. So I should do any sidequests I want to do now?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Right now I'm at the part of the story where my main quest is to go to the Isle of Mists and also gather people to bring to Kaer Morhen. Am I right in assuming that by going to the Isle of Mists I would be initiating the endgame? That's what it sounds like to me at least. So I should do any sidequests I want to do now?

Not quite, though you can potentially fail a few quests because you're going to be potentially moving characters to new locations - for characters listed in the quest, I'd make sure you have done any secondary quests they may have associated with them in your quest log before you start this.

You're gonna get a series of missions where you pretty much can't really go off and do your own thing in-between, but once those are over you can head back out into the world, and the main storyline still has stuff to happen.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's not the endgame, but you'll be initiating a major battle, you'll have an easier time of it with more allies on your side. Quests related to plot chars like other Witchers or potential allies might be unavailable after the battle, but regular Witcher contracts and the like will still be available. Just talk to everyone on the quest list, or maybe leave out the Emperor or anyone you just don't like having around, and you should be fine for the battle.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

dog nougat posted:

After 1.08 I'm getting weird instances of DOF randomly turning on and making everything blurry. It pretty much started happening once I went to Novigrad. This is on PS4, so no way to turn it off. The postprocessing options seem to have no effect. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm pretty sure it's just a mini loading screen when It goes blurry in Novigrad. The newest patch reduced the occurrence of this for me. 1.07 went 'blurry' very regularly, especially during cut scenes in Novigrad.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

take that e n d and turn it into an m i d.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I realized today that you can shoot harpies and sirens while on a boat and it's pretty funny when it happens. One harpy landed on the gunwale and I shot it and it dropped into the water.

Time to get to this Isle of Mists.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
e : nvm, found it in the op

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ugh, 1.08 is really unstable for me on PS4. I'm fighting Eredin with my alchemist and the game's crashing when I go into the inventory to change potions in mid-fight.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I really want to nerd out.

I'd like to discuss Witcher school lore in as much detail as is possible. I haven't read any of the books, or played the first or second games, so my knowledge is limited. The first thing I would like to talk about are the various schools.
When you begin each scavenger hunt for some Witcher gear, you begin by reading some notes by prolific historians. Each scrap you read details one thing in common: the Witcher representative of the school in question is dead, and you can piece together that the Witcher caste is dying. What I would first like to hear more about is the first set you commonly come across: the cat school.

We learn from the quest that most witchers of the cat school tended to be elves, and we find our cat school Witcher to have been the victim of unspeakable tourtire at the hands of a derelict mage. The Mage subjected the poor sod to pain experiments to break his will, presumably to make a host for a demon to use the body. It's interesting that this shrine is located beneath temple isle. Odd the zealous church wouldn't notice a bound demon in the body of a Witcher beneath their temple.
What other facts or interesting speculation do we know, or think we know, about this school and the others?

As I gleaned from the cat armor quest, these cat school witchers are typically psychopaths who enjoy killing more than witchering. Could this have been born of boredom brought on by fewer and fewer witcher contracts? Bounty hunters at first who then devolved into vigilanties?

Unrelated question, do bosses and monsters have immunity to bleed effects? I ask because I like the idea of making monsters bleed out, but not if common ones like specters, who don't bleed, and werewolves or chorts that have hilarious health regen. It makes bleed effects seem negligible.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 10, 2015

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Why does Axii puppet just not work sometimes, does it roll a dice just for a chance at it? I'm not talking about specific enemies either, I mean I can be in a fight with a bunch of under-leveled bandits and be holding down the trigger and still only stunning guys.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I've got like a 112% buff on all my signs too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I really want to nerd out.

I'd like to discuss Witcher school lore in as much detail as is possible. I haven't read any of the books, or played the first or second games, so my knowledge is limited. The first thing I would like to talk about are the various schools.
When you begin each scavenger hunt for some Witcher gear, you begin by reading some notes by prolific historians. Each scrap you read details one thing in common: the Witcher representative of the school in question is dead, and you can piece together that the Witcher caste is dying. What I would first like to hear more about is the first set you commonly come across: the cat school.

We learn from the quest that most witchers of the cat school tended to be elves, and we find our cat school Witcher to have been the victim of unspeakable tourtire at the hands of a derelict mage. The Mage subjected the poor sod to pain experiments to break his will, presumably to make a host for a demon to use the body. It's interesting that this shrine is located beneath temple isle. Odd the zealous church wouldn't notice a bound demon in the body of a Witcher beneath their temple.
What other facts or interesting speculation do we know, or think we know, about this school and the others?

As I gleaned from the cat armor quest, these cat school witchers are typically psychopaths who enjoy killing more than witchering. Could this have been born of boredom brought on by fewer and fewer witcher contracts? Bounty hunters at first who then devolved into vigilanties?

Well, I haven't read much of the books (90% of the way through The Last Wish), but my understanding is that the Witcher school lore is basically created for the game. If they are more than briefly mentioned in the books, that's news to me.

Have you done the DLC quest "Where the Cat and Wolf Play" yet? If not, go do so immediately.

There's two obvious reasons for Cat school be full of psychos: they are elves, and their mascot is the cat, nature's psycho. It's also the case that a lot of Witchers in general are psychos. I mean, the trial of the grasses is basically "yeah we use crazy nazi science to make super soldiers for the good of mankind. Yes it's on children who don't really have a choice. No most of them don't survive."

Also, you have to think that the reputation of Witchers in general is not good. Witchers are long-lived compared to humans, and are very few. The reputation of the Cat School to be psychos could simple be result of the actions of a single Cat School Witcher. To my knowledge, you only really learn of two Cat School Witchers, one who sounded okay and then got horribly tortured, and one who was a psycho. Considering these are the only two Geralt knows of, it wouldn't be surprising if the latter was entirely responsible for the reputation.

This reminds me: Does anyone know how old Vesemir is?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Snak posted:

two Cat School Witchers, one who sounded okay and then got horribly tortured,

That guy turned on everybody in his party and demanded the loot while they were still deep in a cave.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

HORMELCHILI posted:

That guy turned on everybody in his party and demanded the loot while they were still deep in a cave.

Where do you learn this?

Also Hormel chili is real good.

Snak posted:

Well, I haven't read much of the books (90% of the way through The Last Wish), but my understanding is that the Witcher school lore is basically created for the game. If they are more than briefly mentioned in the books, that's news to me.

Have you done the DLC quest "Where the Cat and Wolf Play" yet? If not, go do so immediately.

There's two obvious reasons for Cat school be full of psychos: they are elves, and their mascot is the cat, nature's psycho. It's also the case that a lot of Witchers in general are psychos. I mean, the trial of the grasses is basically "yeah we use crazy nazi science to make super soldiers for the good of mankind. Yes it's on children who don't really have a choice. No most of them don't survive."

Also, you have to think that the reputation of Witchers in general is not good. Witchers are long-lived compared to humans, and are very few. The reputation of the Cat School to be psychos could simple be result of the actions of a single Cat School Witcher. To my knowledge, you only really learn of two Cat School Witchers, one who sounded okay and then got horribly tortured, and one who was a psycho. Considering these are the only two Geralt knows of, it wouldn't be surprising if the latter was entirely responsible for the reputation.

This reminds me: Does anyone know how old Vesemir is?

Beginning of the game suggests that he's 150, or closer to 200. Probably 175 years old. Vesemir jokes that Geralt is 'close to a century yourself,' so if we factor in training, the trials, and the first two games where Vesemir was already older than Geralt, close to 200 is a safe bet.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HORMELCHILI posted:

it's possible I am confusing two different treasure hunts then.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Oh come on why would they cut these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE8ORnqWAkE

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Apparently most of the stuff about the other Witcher schools is either made up wholesale, or taken from the recently written prequel book Season of Storms, which is not available in English in any form.

Otherwise they're just some name drops in Book 6 of the series with no details attached.

Comte posted and said they deleted that scene because it hurt the tone and pacing, despite it otherwise being a very nice scene.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Are there any of these "my husband/son/girlfriend ran off contracts" that dont end with me telling them they died horribly? Really sad watching them walk off somewhere alone and start sobbing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wasn't the Cat school witcher from the gear hunt a professional assassin who hired on the archaeology expedition as a guard so he could kill the leaders and steal the treasure?

I think Jad Karadin was a Cat as well wasn't he?

And the other Cat is someone that Lambert got on well with (he of the 'kill your buddies then hang yourself' axii).

So, uh, none of them exactly have stellar character references.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

tyrelhill posted:

Are there any of these "my husband/son/girlfriend ran off contracts" that dont end with me telling them they died horribly? Really sad watching them walk off somewhere alone and start sobbing.

Not in the Peasant Misery Simulator 9000 a.k.a. Velen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
People generally don't ask a witcher to help find a loved one unless they're quite certain that loved one is currently dissolving in some beastie's stomach.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

HORMELCHILI posted:

Why does Axii puppet just not work sometimes, does it roll a dice just for a chance at it? I'm not talking about specific enemies either, I mean I can be in a fight with a bunch of under-leveled bandits and be holding down the trigger and still only stunning guys.

Input bug. Though strange you got it using a controller, I only got it when using the keyboard but my 360 controller could cast it fine. You can try to either mess with ini files like described here http://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/613958868355806723/ or unequip delusion. I think the axii dialog options can be used without delusion equipped but I haven't tested it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Snak posted:

Considering these are the only two Geralt knows of, it wouldn't be surprising if the latter was entirely responsible for the reputation.
What?
  • 1.) Tortured husk of a witcher under Temple Isle from the first Cat School hunt
  • 2.) Cat school witcher (I forget his name) that is interred in the Dragonslayer's Grotto
  • 3.) Lambert's friend that died
  • 4.) Jad Karadin
  • 5.) Where the Wolf and Cat play quest

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

tyrelhill posted:

Oh sure, there's a group of dwarves who ask you to go find their friend, and you find him safe and sound hiding from Water Hags up the top of a large rock pillar. The guy is so pleased to see you too, it's really heartwarming :)

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Oh sure, there's a group of dwarves who ask you to go find their friend, and you find him safe and sound hiding from Water Hags up the top of a large rock pillar. The guy is so pleased to see you too, it's really heartwarming :)

I see what you did there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bort Bortles posted:

What?
  • 1.) Tortured husk of a witcher under Temple Isle from the first Cat School hunt
  • 2.) Cat school witcher (I forget his name) that is interred in the Dragonslayer's Grotto
  • 3.) Lambert's friend that died
  • 4.) Jad Karadin
  • 5.) Where the Wolf and Cat play quest

Sorry, it's been like 200 hours since I did most of that stuff. I'm really looking forward to my next playthrough, since I'm sure a lot more details will stick. i try read everything, but sometimes the main stories are so engrossing i'm not giving all the documents I read time to sink in. I still have a few hours worth of story left on this playthrough, but I'm taking a break because I was getting burnt out, and I want to be in the right mood to really enjoy the ending of the story.