Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rated PG-34 posted:

Except most people don't actually know about that topic, and that's why it's a thing worth talking about.

I didn't say it wasn't. But it's not doing much for me. How I pine for the days when I could tune into LWT and a pair of old man balls would be thrust at me repeatedly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

One thing that John Oliver said in his Stern interview a few months ago was the possibility of them expanding the show to an hour long format in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBhTpWnm15o
That's one way of shaking things up. I'd be all for that.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
An hour-long LWT would be great, but I also want to see VICE join it. HBO has two of the best news shows in the US right now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Apoplexy posted:

An hour-long LWT would be great, but I also want to see VICE join it. HBO has two of the best news shows in the US right now.

I don't want to see an hour long LWT, it's feeling long already.

VICE, however, could fill an hour easily, and do way more episodes per year, just airing the news content they already post online. Just today they put up like a half hour doc on the abortion pill.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Most of this episode's issue was a repeat of the problems that America's various non-state entities face, but kind of weaker. At least the citizens of the District of Columbia get to vote for president and automatic US citizenship..

Weird that he didn't mention DC's crime rate or that one time DC's presidential elector refused to cast a vote in protest.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

SlothfulCobra posted:

Most of this episode's issue was a repeat of the problems that America's various non-state entities face, but kind of weaker. At least the citizens of the District of Columbia get to vote for president and automatic US citizenship..

Weird that he didn't mention DC's crime rate or that one time DC's presidential elector refused to cast a vote in protest.

Well it's not the same or a repeat because it's the capital and has been a part of the US for the entirety of the country's history. It's preposterous that it has no representation while being the home of everyone else's elected officials.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As the license plate says, "Taxation Without Representation."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I still super like the show. I enjoy American Outrage Of The Week.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Well it's not the same or a repeat because it's the capital and has been a part of the US for the entirety of the country's history. It's preposterous that it has no representation while being the home of everyone else's elected officials.

Not the entirety, and it was specifically made so a state wouldn't have control of the capitol.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

I wish there was a screen cap of the house of lords names and animal pics. They were adorable. Maybe they should do a segment of House of Lords and the US Supreme Court Justice animals.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

agatona posted:

I wish there was a screen cap of the house of lords names and animal pics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPo5iYZYcbo

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Johnathan Banks... lol

OMG That video at the end.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 10, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I'm always impressed with the guests LWT is able to get on the show. I think this is the third or fourth time Nick Offerman has been on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zero One posted:

Johnathan Banks... lol

OMG That video at the end.

That's my new favorite callback also joke regarding Nick Offerman's dick. * watch deadwood

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The Breaking Bad thread went apeshit over the Jonathan Banks sex ed tape being discovered a few years ago. The video at the end of tonight's ep was a nice coda.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hcreight posted:

The Breaking Bad thread went apeshit over the Jonathan Banks sex ed tape being discovered a few years ago. The video at the end of tonight's ep was a nice coda.

Wait, what the gently caress? I have no idea what you're talking about, and I (thought I) read those threads quite a bit.

Unless you're referring to that 70s educational video about a girl's period or something?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? I have no idea what you're talking about, and I (thought I) read those threads quite a bit.

Unless you're referring to that 70s educational video about a girl's period or something?

That is what he is referring to.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Whole Foods is a business founded on the principal of charging more for essentially the same product. The customers get what they deserve.

And wow, words cannot describe how much I don't want to think about teenagers' boners.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SlothfulCobra posted:

And wow, words cannot describe how much I don't want to think about teenagers' boners.

Their bowling skill enhancing menses however...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

SlothfulCobra posted:

Whole Foods is a business founded on the principal of charging more for essentially the same product. The customers get what they deserve.

John Oliver thinks about teen boners so you don't have to....

That sounds wrong somehow.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Was just talking with some teenagers the other day about the deficiencies in British education and we were all like "well at least they do actually teach you something about sex, protection and STDs, and it's not like America where they don't tell you anything or have that abstinence education."

Like what the actual gently caress?

Apparently that means Thank You. So that's nice. :unsmith:

First time I've kept an eye on the intro in a long time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
In my high school, we had abstinence-only sex ed. Sort of. Basically, the health teacher explained to us one day that "The school gets a lot of money thanks to Bush's abstinence only sex ed funding. So I'm not going to tell you anything besides not to have sex. Though I am going to leave the room so this woman from Planned Parenthood can talk to you. Don't tell your parents."

She demonstrated condom use on a big purple dildo, handed out condoms, and answered all kinds of questions. PP is good people.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
In my middle school, our PE teacher was a Vietnam Vet badass and took abso-loving-lutely no horseshit from anyone. When it came time for us to ask anonymous index card questions, he answered every single one, including the one where some guy (we had segregated sex-ed) decided to ask what "necrophilia" was. I will remember this until I die, he said:

"It's when someone enjoys having sex with dead bodies. If you little assholes think you're going to shock me, guess again."

The next-most 'shocking' question was someone asking if anal sex make it harder to hold poo poo in. He answered that one too, going into great detail about it just to purposely make us uncomfortable. This was...probably 1994-95, and if someone had ratted him out he'd have gotten into a *lot* of trouble.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 10, 2015

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
100% picturing that guy as Mike from Breaking Bad, appropriately enough.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VagueRant posted:

100% picturing that guy as Mike from Breaking Bad, appropriately enough.

Do you become a better bowler when you have your period?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

We had the 'anonymous index card' questions, maybe everyone's class did. I remember my friend decided it was bullshit and wrote lyrics to Heart Shaped Box on his. The teacher actually started reading it aloud.. "I wish I could.. eat your... cancer, when you turn black?! Dan, was this you?!"

At one point, someone asked what masturbation was. One kid volunteered to answer, but couldn't really find the right words. The same teacher asked if anyone could help out in explaining it (I have no idea why the teacher wasn't explaining it), and Dad replied "Sure, I'll take a whack at it."

Sex ed was where class clowns had their true moments.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VagueRant posted:

Was just talking with some teenagers the other day about the deficiencies in British education and we were all like "well at least they do actually teach you something about sex, protection and STDs, and it's not like America where they don't tell you anything or have that abstinence education."

Like what the actual gently caress?

If you ever utter the phrase "In America, Education is like ____" know that you will be able to find lots and lots of examples and counterexamples to your point.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
American education is also weird because we have 50 different states all with their own laws and such and most of them defer to lower municipalities for a lot of decisions and policies. So you'll hear a variety of stories even from the same generation of public school students.

John Oliver avoided the obvious joke about teaching history falsely considering headlines even this week about how some schools want to downplay slavery and racism in American history. He went for the Prince joke; but tackling American history education can easily get its own episode or multiple episodes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's the third largest nation by population, fourth largest by landmass. It's a big loving place where a lot of people have a whooooole lot of different ideas. Generalizing anywhere is a stupid idea, and that holds true for America too.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

It also kind of falls into the same category as social media slacktivism, except that instead of essentially doing nothing and making yourself feel better about something, you are now just paying more which essentially accomplishes nothing out of the ordinary and makes yourself feel better.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
And Whole Foods is run by some libertarian shitlord who's more than happy to make money off of crunchy moms and hipsters by conning them into thinking organic's somehow better when it's only more expensive.

But in WF's limited defense, their customers kind of want to be in on the scam; because there's a "culture war posturing" element to buying organic.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What's the "real" alternative to Whole Foods? Besides shopping at local markets where food is better and cheaper.

And you're right about the Whole Foods CEOs being shitbags. Here's their defense.

quote:

"We don't think our track record is any different from any other supermarket," Mackey said during an earnings call. "We don't know why Whole Foods was singled out for this attention ...We don't know why the media went wild with this."

In the investigation, inspectors weighed 80 items from eight Whole Foods stores and found inaccurate labeling on every item, according to the city's Department of Consumer Affairs.

For example, inspectors weighed eight packages of chicken tenders, which were priced at $9.99 per pound. Consumers who purchased these packages would have been overcharged by about $4.13 on average, according to a DCA release. One package was overpriced by $4.85.

"It's understandable sometimes that mistakes are made," Robb said. "They are inadvertent. They do happen because its a hands-on approach to bringing you fresh food."

Mackey said on the call Wednesday that the company was already taking steps to fix the problem.

"We've done our own auditing, we've put in procedures so we can perhaps be perfect," he said. "If you look at Whole Foods' record, these are inadvertent errors."

Executives said last month that Whole Foods planned to retrain employees in New York stores and around the country to address the problem.

"poo poo, we got caught, make sure the employees now know to put the actual number from the scale onto the label and not inflate it like they were told to before"

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 10, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

So the asparagus water was just seeing how far they could take the whole thing?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If you live in Florida and you still shop at Whole Foods instead of Publix Greenwise, you deserve what you get

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So the asparagus water was just seeing how far they could take the whole thing?

They were probably just experimenting with homeopathic food.

*edit* actually "homeopathic food" seems like it would be a good way to cull a certain amount of stupid from the population.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

pentyne posted:

What's the "real" alternative to Whole Foods? Besides shopping at local markets where food is better and cheaper.

Wegman's if you live in the NE, it's sort of like whole foods only the prices are entirely reasonable.

The local Giant store here is a lot better than ones I've seen elsewhere in terms of quality of what they carry, I just have to go to the right side of the tracks (literally, I live on the wrong side of the tracks from all the rich fucks). So it kind of depends on management and market area even for regular old chains.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

pentyne posted:

For Texas, it's Central Market. God bless HEB.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

pentyne posted:

Trader Joooooooooe's!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

If you live in Florida and you still shop at Whole Foods instead of Publix Greenwise, you deserve what you get

Publix is the best grocery store. I want my last meal to be a chicken tender sub.

• Locked thread