Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I wanna try out an italy run. What nation could get me there the quickest, I want some Italian Colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Bold Robot posted:

Playing as Russia, it's about 1700 and some revolutionary rebels just popped up in Danzig and Riga. Is it realistic to hope that they will work their way to Moscow and siege it down so I can become a republic? Would it help if I mothballed all of the forts between the Baltic and Moscow?

honestly think that if you get hit with the revolutionary disaster you should be able to immediately concede to them. the whole revolution target thing is a very cool and fun mechanic to play, but you have to really tediously let rebels take over your country to actually experience it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

PrinceRandom posted:

I wanna try out an italy run. What nation could get me there the quickest, I want some Italian Colonies.

The best Italian colonists are the ones with easy access to the East coast of Italy and preferably can fabricate on Sardinia/Corsica. Genoa, Tuscany, Savoy Papal States, Milan, and Naples can all reasonably get out into the Atlantic in time to make early grabs in Brazil or Caribbean.

Papal States, Tuscany and Milan all have ideas that can make them decent land powers and they have interesting government types. Naples and Genoa have kinda 'meh' ideas with a lot of complete garbage like cheaper galleys but Naples has a unique opportunity to grab a lot of Aragon's land in the Western Med when they beat their ex-overlords over the head with Castille

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also worth noting that Genoa can get a bunch of unique missions to conquer various chunks around the Mediterranean, including one on Granada. They might have the easiest time grabbing some Atlantic coastline, though their ideas are indeed pretty lovely.

Be pretty careful, especially if you're on Ironman. Italy is a bit of a thunderdome.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

GhostDog posted:

So years and years ago I gave the Spanish Caribbean the order to start a colonial war against British Colombia. British Colombia has about 5 troops.

Since then that 25 stack has been sitting there. As have the 9 transport ships. I tried reloading hoping the AI would become unstuck. Nothing. And when I play it myself and leave Spain in the hands of the AI even for a day it just scuttles half my fleet and reorganizes all my armies :argh:

Any way to end this war?
And why is British Colombia a valid colonial war target for Spanish Caribbean and not Spanish Colombia?

Edit: Used the "yesman" cheat and enforced peace. Still, those troops seem stuck there forever.
I'm guessing they don't have any cores or claims on British Columbia so they find it more important to defend their capital over invading the mainland.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Zettace posted:

I'm guessing they don't have any cores or claims on British Columbia so they find it more important to defend their capital over invading the mainland.

They have cores in 3 of 4 provinces. I think they're really just bugged out. Even now that the war is over they're not moving that army anywhere. I forced an uprising (via cheats) in on of their provinces on another island, they didn't do anything. Just kept moving those 9 transports one sea province back and forth once every few months.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I have 100 prestige, I have a 55 year old Tsar with no heir (tragic hunting accident,) and there is still a warning saying there will be a succession war upon my death. The two countries that will fight over it, France and Austria, have about 60 prestige. I'm Russia and enormous compared both of them. What on earth can stop this succession war?

The only thing I can think of is to stay at war with some weak OPM perpetually until my monarch dies and a noble is generated, I noticed the warning went away while I was at war with Delhi.

edit: I broke off my royal marriages with everybody and it still says I am going to get into one. I don't get it.

Node fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 10, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
either france or austria has your dynasty, or you have theirs

breaking off the marriage after the baby is born doesn't just kill the baby

the royal marriage can unite the dynasty, and from then on they have the chance to have a PU happen

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Node posted:

edit: I broke off my royal marriages with everybody and it still says I am going to get into one. I don't get it.
Annex France and/or Austria. Alternatively, side with Austria, since they'll probably be easier to bit when you want to get out of the union.

Speaking of personal unions, Denmark managed to put Lithuania in a union 20 years into my latest (hands-off) game, and then started beating the hordes up. AI Muscovy finally lives up to its Lucky bonus.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Another Person posted:

the royal marriage can unite the dynasty, and from then on they have the chance to have a PU happen

I see. Hungary has my dynasty, and I don't have a RM with them.

I thought if you had more prestige than the other country, the PU wouldn't happen. At least if I do die without an heir, I can pummel them into the ground, but that takes time away from more important things.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
One of them must of had claimed the throne when your prestige was lower. It's just that the warning notified you of it only when you were in threat of being inherited.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 10, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Zettace posted:

One of them must of had claimed the throne when your prestige was lower. It's just that the warning notified you of it only when you were in threat of being inherited.

I don't see a They Used A Royal Marriage As Pretext somethingsomething opinion malus on my opinion of them. Plus Hungary has -99 prestige since they've been losing lots of wars, so they never could have had high enough prestige to be able to claim the throne.

Node fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 10, 2015

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
the truth is none of us actually know how PU mechanics work in this game.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
Neither does the in game prediction. Just because it says that there'll be a succession war doesn't mean that it will happen. The latest patches improved on it but I would be very surprised if it was 100% accurate.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Does the AI need improvements to its fort building logic or something?

Once any one of 3 forts fall, there's a straight shot to unfortified Warsaw. It made wars against them easier, sure, and it was pretty cool when I noticed it, but the AI probably shouldn't be letting that happen. I've fought the Commonwealth 4 or 5 times now, starting some time in the 1600s, and that corridor has been there for at least that long. It was still there 20 or so years later.

e: I don't notice that happen often, but Russia had exactly 0 forts from their easternmost siberian front to their pacific coast. I know it's not the richest land, but I'm sure they could afford at least a couple level 2s, especially since I was subsidising them and had been for ages.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 10, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
How should they be making their forts instead then? Securing the borders of their country seems like the most important thing, and the AI tends to be pretty good at that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Clearly they believe the best defense is a good offense.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Another Person posted:

One more reason CK2 is a better game, really.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Koramei posted:

How should they be making their forts instead then? Securing the borders of their country seems like the most important thing, and the AI tends to be pretty good at that.

Right, but if one eastern fort falls (the one next to the rebel province) I have a straight shot to their capital. Their west is actually defended really well, there's at least 2 max level forts blocking movement from Berlin.. The ones actually close to Warsaw aren't the issue, there aren't enough provinces there to cover it, but there's 5 or 6 provinces completely uncovered by any kind of fort, and they'd be massively more secure if they plonked one down there. Admittedly it'd just serve to prolong a war they'd already lost, but in my experience the AI is pretty keen on doing that already.

The Ottomans in the same game didn't have a single fort in southern anatolia, either. It's good they defend their borders and all, but it'd be nice to see some forts, even lower level ones, in the heartland.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What causes Revolutionary Rebels to actually gain percentages of progress? I thought they just had to take the capital, but they took Moscow and they're still at 0%. If it's based on what % of total provinces they control then I'm hosed.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
You can't accept demands once they've got your capital?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

What causes Revolutionary Rebels to actually gain percentages of progress? I thought they just had to take the capital, but they took Moscow and they're still at 0%. If it's based on what % of total provinces they control then I'm hosed.

Is it 1750 yet? You can't go revolutionary until then.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Can I do anything to make my HRE elector vassals more likely to vote for me other than boosting relations? Going for Spain is Emperor and have grabbed 6 of the 7 electors, but most of them have -200 relations with me because of AE which is going to take decades to wear off.

Also I still hope AE gets reworked some day. The idea behind it is solid, but it just seems too easy to get all your neighbors to hate you forever, at which point it's actually easier to just invade them and take their lands rather than waiting for the AE to wear off. Would be nice if there was a more active mechanic once AE hits like -300 or more or something that isn't just "Well I guess I'm just going to sit here for 75 years now". It's not too bad in most of the world, but it makes playing in Europe kind of a mess once you get to the mid/late game where taking a single province gives enough AE to start a coalition against you because every province is super developed.

e: Also your vassals in the HRE being able to accept the Emperor's demands and give away their territory seems really dumb.

VDay fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 10, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

VDay posted:

Can I do anything to make my HRE elector vassals more likely to vote for me other than boosting relations? Going for Spain is Emperor and have grabbed 6 of the 7 electors, but most of them have -200 relations with me because of AE which is going to take decades to wear off.

Also I still hope AE gets reworked some day. The idea behind it is solid, but it just seems too easy to get all your neighbors to hate you forever, at which point it's actually easier to just invade them and take their lands rather than waiting for the AE to wear off. Would be nice if there was a more active mechanic once AE hits like -300 or more or something that isn't just "Well I guess I'm just going to sit here for 75 years now". It's not too bad in most of the world, but it makes playing in Europe kind of a mess once you get to the mid/late game where taking a single province gives enough AE to start a coalition against you because every province is super developed.

e: Also your vassals in the HRE being able to accept the Emperor's demands and give away their territory seems really dumb.

You're going to be having enormous AE problems if you deal with the HRE. It isn't nearly as bad outside of it. Influence and the -20% AE reduction is nearly mandatory to even think about taking more than one or two provinces at a time.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

VDay posted:

Royal marry, up your legitimacy, I think maybe up your prestige as well? You can wreck the current emperor's prestige maybe, or try to kill their ruler and hope their heir has a weak claim. Otherwise just hire a better relations advisor and sit there for a while.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I'm getting a weird bug as Tunis. Every time one of my heirs dies, the next one dies on the exact same day. It's happened three times so far, I've ruled out it being just a coincidence

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gitro posted:

e: I don't notice that happen often, but Russia had exactly 0 forts from their easternmost siberian front to their pacific coast. I know it's not the richest land, but I'm sure they could afford at least a couple level 2s, especially since I was subsidising them and had been for ages.

That's honestly probably the right move. The land is same culture-same religion, and so has like zero unrest, and provinces that don't have forts mean next to nothing in warscore counts, so it's not really costly to just let the AI run around occupying them all while you attack their actually valuable provinces.

Agnostalgia posted:

the truth is none of us actually know how PU mechanics work in this game.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Odobenidae posted:

I'm getting a weird bug as Tunis. Every time one of my heirs dies, the next one dies on the exact same day. It's happened three times so far, I've ruled out it being just a coincidence
Your heirs are taking part in dueling tournaments, and end up killing each other in the final due to being equally great fighters.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

I dunno about your recent playthroughs but I did an Austria game in the beta patch and I think it'd be really tough if not impossible to pass Ewiger Landfriede until after the Reformation and league wars. The trickle of IA you get is only enough for a few reforms pre-Reformation, and once you get heretic members you'll get virtually no (or even negative) IA. I aggressively stamped out centers of Reformation, proclaimed Catholic empire and eradicated literally all the Protestant and Reformed nations by 1620, but I still am like two reforms from Landfriede.

If you really want to go for that, it is well possible but you need some luck in there. In my Saxony game I helped Austria abusing my allies Sweden and Muscowy to get all of Italy into the HRE while I added all my Polish and Crimean lands over time. They were 15-20 IA short of passing the reform, if they weren't poo poo and would have managed their alliances better they could have done it.

I would assume that Ewiger Landfriede before the reformation breaks the HRE mechanics and you will not get any IA after that ever again, but if you want to go for it here's some things I plan to do:
- Pray for the Burgundian Inheritance
- Neumark or whatever TO province has a Brandenburg core needs to be returned asap
- Support Swedish independence and release Holstein (Denmark is cheap to core so if you can, you should conquer it)
- Make claims on Venice, your priority is to return Milan's core
Those are the basics to get rid of the penalty for HRE provinces being in non-HRE member hands

Once you have that, focus on Italy, the Pope is the biggest problem there, you want to force vassalize The Papal State, annex them, add it all to the HRE and then accept the event to release them again. This will hurt your diplo rep so make sure you got your electors under control and a good chunk of IA.
If Naples is independent by this point, conquer them too, their lands are cheap and will give you easy IA.

After that it is kinda straight forward, you need to either PU or annex Hungary and the conquer the cheap provinces from the Balkans over to Crimea. Poland is also a good target for some cheap land but that depends on your alliances.

Ignore France or better yet, restart until you can ally them.

Note: HRE member states that are not the emperor don't seem to add newly conquered provinces to the HRE ever so don't give Milan Venice's provinces. There probably should be an AI fix for that or add a bonus for HRE members adding lands or a penalty for them having non-HRE lands.

Edit: Forgot this, if a ruler has less than 3 admin he is a general, good luck with that siege, I hope none of those stray bullets hit you.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
My 55 year old Tsar had the event that gives you an heir that is a daughter. I took it. He died the next month. I was pissed that I would have had to go through 15 years of regency, but at least I didn't have to get into a succession war.

But not so. A Women in History event popped up, and immediately let me choose to put a 4/3/3 Tsarina on the throne two months later. Beautiful.

I'm smashing through India now, but things aren't looking good. I have 488k manpower, and I have India blocked off with a vassal so coring the provinces will be super cheap due to them being distant overseas. Once I have India under my thumb, I'll annex the vassal and all of the provinces will hit 0 autonomy. Unfortunately, it's 1720. I'm not sure I can come up with 500k manpower in that time.

This is definitely the hardest achievement I've done yet. I don't know if I can do it. I've done Basileus, This is Persia, The Great Khan, Switzerlake, Holy Trinity, Sun God, The Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire, That's a Silk Road, and others, but none of them really compare to this one, at least in my opinion.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

My 55 year old Tsar had the event that gives you an heir that is a daughter. I took it. He died the next month. I was pissed that I would have had to go through 15 years of regency, but at least I didn't have to get into a succession war.

But not so. A Women in History event popped up, and immediately let me choose to put a 4/3/3 Tsarina on the throne two months later. Beautiful.

I'm smashing through India now, but things aren't looking good. I have 488k manpower, and I have India blocked off with a vassal so coring the provinces will be super cheap due to them being distant overseas. Once I have India under my thumb, I'll annex the vassal and all of the provinces will hit 0 autonomy. Unfortunately, it's 1720. I'm not sure I can come up with 500k manpower in that time.

This is definitely the hardest achievement I've done yet. I don't know if I can do it. I've done Basileus, This is Persia, The Great Khan, Switzerlake, Holy Trinity, Sun God, The Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire, That's a Silk Road, and others, but none of them really compare to this one, at least in my opinion.

I think you can manage it if you haven't spammed barracks yet and you haven't pissed off the entire world with AE and if that doesn't include the advisor...Once you rejoin your lands you'll get a nice manpower boost. I'd do it once you get to 60% admin efficiency, because if you took admin ideas your coring cost will be very very low. I was close to your situation and I got it in 1818. With a year and a half to go spam loans and put the plus manpower building in every province you have.

You're going to be at war forever until the end. Take provinces up until 99% overextension and then have your next war timed to finish when everything is done coring.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Node posted:

I did it as the Ottos together with the 1001 provinces and finished with 60 years to spare. It was tedious as can be but not really difficult. With admin Turks and the distant overseas discount you can expand pretty quickly and nobody will be able to slow you down until you hit Ming. The biggest slowdown was the restriction on admin groups really, since you want Humanism, Expansion and Admin, not necessarily in that order though I did it that way. Also defensive since you really want high army tradition so as to not lose the Janissaries.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Your heirs are taking part in dueling tournaments, and end up killing each other in the final due to being equally great fighters.

+5 army tradition

Gitro
May 29, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

That's honestly probably the right move. The land is same culture-same religion, and so has like zero unrest, and provinces that don't have forts mean next to nothing in warscore counts, so it's not really costly to just let the AI run around occupying them all while you attack their actually valuable provinces.

Except I'd annexed everything of Russia's west of Sibir's starting position. Without any forts there any invader had a straight shot to their capital. They could have had one European province, but I have a feeling it used to be Sibir's as well, so I don't think they could have moved their capital back to Europe.

Node posted:

You can go revolutionary in 30 years, there's a 10% manpower bonus attached in addition to other nice stuff. Might be a bit difficult to meet the requirements for the disaster if you're at Always War, but if it's close it could push you over the edge. You're also going to get more manpower as autonomy ticks down.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Gitro posted:

You can go revolutionary in 30 years, there's a 10% manpower bonus attached in addition to other nice stuff. Might be a bit difficult to meet the requirements for the disaster if you're at Always War, but if it's close it could push you over the edge. You're also going to get more manpower as autonomy ticks down.

Plus 25% manpower if you become a revolutionary empire so just take a bunch of loans and let the rebels take the capital. And make your monarchs generals asap so you'll get negative stability.

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 10, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

b0lt posted:

Is it 1750 yet? You can't go revolutionary until then.

Not yet - these are the rebels that will turn you into a Constitutional Republic, not the ones from the Revolutionary event.

Is the Revolution event chain cool/interesting enough that I should kill these rebels and wait a few years to become a Revolutionary Republic? It's 1712 right now and the rebels are about 60% of the way towards breaking me and making me a republic - I'm just letting them run wild in Siberia. I could mop them up in a few years but if the Revolution stuff isn't that cool then I'll just become a republic now.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
DoW on someone you have military access with. No AE hit but you take -5 stab and 5 war exhaustion, which helps the event tick up faster. Grab a vassal and hit placate a whole bunch then 'lose' a war to an ally you're not interested in by taking territory from someone and giving it back or something, assuming you can afford to do that. That should give you a base 2 tick, take 10 loans to up it to 2.5. Mind that you gain 1% interest for every point of stab below zero. You have to be western tech, but I assume you either are or can be if you want.

Your country will explode for a bit so maybe it's not worth it, but you get a rad CB, you'll get the prestige back in no time and you can use the loan money to spam barracks everywhere, or just keep it until you pay it back. Revolution targets get -0.15 WE a month so enjoy never having any war exhaustion again.

e: Being revolutionary is great, you lose Imperialism and Nationalism but get your own CB. I think you can enforce religion on whoever you want, too. You get +50% naval and land forcelimits, -a fair bit to land/naval maintenance, bonus prestige, massively reduced WE and a handful of other bonuses I can't remember or find in the files or wiki. I've heard it sucks to be constitutional as a large country but I've never played with a parliamentary system myself. You can always go revolutionary later if you want.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 10, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The revolutionary bonuses make you a warmongering beast. The all make you much, much more suited for long periods of protracted war.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is it possible to go Revolutionary from Constitutional Republic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013
The best part of being Revolutionary is that every province in every monarchy in Europe gets made miserable just by you existing. It's only 5 unrest so if they're right culture or religion and they haven't expanded recently they're still well into the negatives, but gently caress if it's not satisfying anyway.

Actually the best part is the -0.15 WE, 50% forcelimits buff and cheaper maintenance as well as the awesome CB. I've never played with the mechanic before and it's so good.

e: Check your disasters, but the only requirements in the file are not being France (they have their own chain) or the Papacy, being western tech and with your capital in europe. Nothing about govtype, and being a monarchy doesn't even make the event tick up faster like with Aspiration for Liberty.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 10, 2015

• Locked thread