Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghengilhar
Mar 21, 2013

Kennel posted:

It's not actually about foreign languages but about those that aren't one's mother tongue.

The only problem is that the map is titled foreign languages people consider the most useful... As an official language, English is not a foreign language in Malta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Correct!

With Bonus Key:

That's kinda politically-loaded, too, what with grouping "Brahmic-derived" but not "Phoenician-derived" ;-)

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

3peat posted:

Italian is waay more fun to speak than any other european language tho. Spanish (the Spain version) sounds throaty and hoarse to me, like not nearly as bad as germanic languages, but by latin languages standards it sounds pretty bad.

Italian, to me, sounds almost intentionally ridiculous, like someone making a funny face, except the face is a language.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ghengilhar posted:

The only problem is that the map is titled foreign languages people consider the most useful... As an official language, English is not a foreign language in Malta.

That's semantics at best. What language do you think you'd get if you asked an anglo-canadian "which foreign language is most useful?"

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

vintagepurple posted:

That's semantics at best. What language do you think you'd get if you asked an anglo-canadian "which foreign language is most useful?"

Chinese

ghengilhar
Mar 21, 2013

vintagepurple posted:

It might be semantics but it does draw the point that the question itself is asked poorly.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

loving animals in China, they were never colonized, and now they don't even know what an alphabet is. Time to nuke them to correct the historical mistake.

As a Chinese I agree.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't the communists try to switch everyone to pinyin at some point?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They discussed it but never actually did anything. Pinyin is an excellent thing though and I can't imagine how people learned Chinese without it (most didn't lol).

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

They discussed it but never actually did anything. Pinyin is an excellent thing though and I can't imagine how people learned Chinese without it (most didn't lol).

Honestly it seems like a better writing system all around than actual chinese characters, if you go into beep boop what is culture mode. I have only a basic command of mandarin though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

vintagepurple posted:

Honestly it seems like a better writing system all around than actual chinese characters, if you go into beep boop what is culture mode. I have only a basic command of mandarin though.

Not an expert but based on the godawful gameshows that appear on Chinese TV there are some limitations in so far as there are words which are identical even in tone which pinyin can't differentiate but characters can. This is not an argument for not switching to pinyin mind you as the exact same issue appears in English and spoken Mandarin.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

vintagepurple posted:

It's really not, good luck telling words apart that only differ by one accent on a vowel (if that).

Also in Beijing at least, traffic signs and the like are literally all written using both hanzi and pinyin (for place names) or English (for directions and so on). It's honestly impressive considering, Paris is the tourist capital of the world and practically everything is only in French.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 10, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Phlegmish posted:

German isn't ugly at all, I've always thought that was bullshit. I'm pretty sure the problem is just that some people still automatically conjure up images of jackbooted SS officers screaming orders when they think of German. Any language is going to be ugly if that's the sort of association you make.

It reminds me of that rage comic that was floating around a few years ago, where they listed the word for 'butterfly' in different languages. It had the German guy screaming 'Schmetterling' at the end, as if we were naturally supposed to consider that a harsh/ugly word. Thing is, when you look at the actual pronunciation it is arguably smoother and softer than 'mariposa' or 'papillon'. I would say Spanish in particular is actually a harsher language in comparison. People are simply transposing their stereotypical view of German culture onto the language, and the same goes for the Latin languages that are inevitably seen as being more 'romantic'.

Also, Hitler had a throat condition that made his German less than perfect. Also, in most cases when German appears in English works of fiction, they use a harsh "r" sound that nobody in Germany ever uses, it sounds ridiculous even to us. It's a smear campaign against our beautiful language :cry:

And for all the poo poo we get for German supposedly being a difficult language, at least you only need to take a look at a word to know how it's pronounced. In contrast to the arbitrary pronunciation of English words. (And why the gently caress do you drop the "o" from pronounciation??)

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Barudak posted:

Not an expert but based on the godawful gameshows that appear on Chinese TV there are some limitations in so far as there are words which are identical even in tone which pinyin can't differentiate but characters can. This is not an argument for not switching to pinyin mind you as the exact same issue appears in English and spoken Mandarin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZLkcFns8Ks

I'm sorry, it's the other one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Barudak posted:

Also there are other Asian languages like Vietnamese and Korean which have tons of homophones but use an alphabet without any problems.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kassad posted:

It's really not, good luck telling words apart that only differ by one accent on a vowel (if that).

Grand Fromage posted:

Also there are other Asian languages like Vietnamese and Korean which have tons of homophones but use an alphabet without any problems.

There are tons of people that complain about learning English for these exact reasons. English is terrible with this poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Aliquid posted:

There are tons of people that complain about learning English for these exact reasons. English is terrible with this poo poo.

English is not even remotely on the same level when it comes to homophones. For example, yi has 338 possible characters, shi has 153. Everything in Chinese is a homophone. Korean/Vietnamese/Japanese have similar issues since the majority of their vocabulary comes from Chinese.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

How prominent are spelling mistakes in Far East languages among the general population? It seems like the vast majority of English-speaking people don't know the proper expression of plurals, as well as having common misspellings of homophones.

edit something I found particularly refreshing was diving into Nigerian Pidgin, which flows really well and makes absolute sense spoken aloud.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 10, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My students forget how to write characters or don't know the characters to write a word pretty often. They all have Chinese dictionaries to look them up when they write since remembering the several thousand common ones is a tall order even for a native speaker. Typing is easier since you enter pinyin and choose the characters from a little interface. Remembering how to read a character is easier than remembering how to write it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Typing is easier since you enter pinyin and choose the characters from a little interface.

Whoa, what are fast keyboard skills like with that system?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Aliquid posted:

Whoa, what are fast keyboard skills like with that system?

I'm bad at it so it's hard to judge. Students are always amazed at how quickly I type but I'm not sure if it's because it's English or because you can type English faster than pinyin. I imagine there are different input programs and some might be faster than others. This is what the native Windows 8 one looks like:

I can hit the 1 key and it puts in that hanzi. The other ones are different wo shis, but it's guessing that the first one is the most likely. In this case it's correct.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Korean/Vietnamese/Japanese have similar issues since the majority of their vocabulary comes from Chinese.

And there are the native words that collide with Chinese ones, for even more fun, and native pronunciations of Chinese words coexisting with Chinese pronunciations of Chinese words, and other assorted insanity.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

b0lt posted:

And there are the native words that collide with Chinese ones, for even more fun, and native pronunciations of Chinese words coexisting with Chinese pronunciations of Chinese words, and other assorted insanity.

Yep, Korean's the one I know but you'll often get things like bang and sil are both "room", but one is Chinese and one is Korean. It's like how you'll get two words for one thing in English but one is French and one is German.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kassad posted:

Also in Beijing at least, traffic signs and the like are literally all written using both hanzi and pinyin (for place names) or English (for directions and so on). It's honestly impressive considering, Paris is the tourist capital of the world and practically everything is only in French.

Presumably though, speakers can differentiate these from context, and thus could do so in written language as well?

(as a native french speaker, french is the ideal language and no one should need anything else to natvigate the glorious capital :france:)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

vintagepurple posted:

Presumably though, speakers can differentiate these from context, and thus could do so in written language as well?

I'm admittedly thinking about this from the perspective of a non-native speaker, it seems like using characters would be easier even if it's a slog to learn them all. Obviously a native speaker would have an easier time.

Also the whole idea reminds me of the USA still using imperial units instead of metric ones: switching is a possibility but way too much effort to be considered. Except even more so.

vintagepurple posted:

(as a native french speaker, french is the ideal language and no one should need anything else to natvigate the glorious capital :france:)

L'exception culturelle! :france:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

In writing, generally the different words have different characters. So there are 338 characters that are pronounced yi. It's not like Japanese where one kanji can have 20 readings and there is literally no way to tell which is correct, you just are presumed to know. There are multiple reading characters in Chinese but very few.

But you get situations like 要, which can mean both want and must but you just have to guess from context.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Phlegmish posted:

German isn't ugly at all, I've always thought that was bullshit. I'm pretty sure the problem is just that some people still automatically conjure up images of jackbooted SS officers screaming orders when they think of German. Any language is going to be ugly if that's the sort of association you make.

It reminds me of that rage comic that was floating around a few years ago, where they listed the word for 'butterfly' in different languages. It had the German guy screaming 'Schmetterling' at the end, as if we were naturally supposed to consider that a harsh/ugly word. Thing is, when you look at the actual pronunciation it is arguably smoother and softer than 'mariposa' or 'papillon'. I would say Spanish in particular is actually a harsher language in comparison. People are simply transposing their stereotypical view of German culture onto the language, and the same goes for the Latin languages that are inevitably seen as being more 'romantic'.

Oh I know that, I just love how German sounds, I wish I had kept studying it but I preferred to focus on English.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

vintagepurple posted:

Tell that to the dude in the booth at Gare du Nord where they sell museum passes. He seemed to understand my attempts to speak the ideal language, but would not deign to reply in the same. And then there were a few who assumed that a foreigner like me cannot understand something as simple as "Merci, monsieur".

3peat
May 6, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

How do you know? Have you tried them all? Would also like to know what you mean by throaty and hoarse Germanic languages. You better not just be substituting Dutch and German for Germanic. :colbert:

Dutch to me is the stereotypical prototype Germanic language, when they speak it's like they're trying to spit at you. German is like barking. Scandinavian languages are like a cat in heat meowling outside your window when you're trying to sleep. English is a lil better, but only because half of its vocabulary are French words.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Aliquid posted:

French is an even worse offender in this regard. They will have fifty different nouns and verb tenses that all sound exactly the same. Even some of my French-speaking colleagues get confused and cannot properly pluralize certain words or distinguish between the passé composé and the infinitif. They will write things like 'je suis venu te cherché'.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Easy answer, In the French school system English classes are mandatory (either as 1st or 2nd language), Spanish or German classes are mandatory (either as 1st of 2nd language).

Italian (and other languages) classes are optional classes for literary students (as 3rd language). There can be a multitude of different 3rd language options, Italian is however the most common third language class in France, I think all school proposes it. My public school only had italian classes available, while a private high school in Paris I knew had Italian and Japanese classes available.

I chose German as 1rst language, English as 2nd and Italian as 3rd.

So basically the French school system prioritize other languages.

In my experience, students snub German hard, because it's hard/ugly/etc... I picked German first because I had German classes in primary school, probably in an effort to get more kids to pick german. I think it worked as in middle school the class quite full, but in high school there weren't a lot left.

I was a bit surprised at how early you start with English in France now, we're supposed to start teaching it in CP (6 years old) and I've been encouraged to do nursery rhymes and songs in English with my kindergarten class next year. With all that English you'd think the average Frenchman would speak it better :v:

Kurtofan posted:

College has some interesting choice of what they call minority language classes: Berber, Tamil, Nahuatl, Breton, Occitan...

I worked at a high school a few years back that had Gallo as an option, that was kinda neat.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

3peat posted:

English is a lil better, but only because half of its vocabulary are French words.

Yes, clearly that must be the reason. It's why English-language pop music has so little success with its preponderance of Germanic words, people much prefer to listen to beautiful and romantic academic dissertations.

Of all the pseudo-scientific bullshit explanations in this thread, that one takes the cake.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Soviet Commubot posted:

I was a bit surprised at how early you start with English in France now, we're supposed to start teaching it in CP (6 years old) and I've been encouraged to do nursery rhymes and songs in English with my kindergarten class next year. With all that English you'd think the average Frenchman would speak it better :v:

I had English classes in CM1 (9 years old), mostly it was stuff like arbre=tree and the like, nothing really major.

I heard the problem was that language lessons were too academic, not enough emphasis put on dialogue, speech...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
These last two pages have convinced me that all language is bad and should be banned. I'm still working on an interpretive dance to convey that sentiment though.

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, clearly that must be the reason. It's why English-language pop music has so little success with its preponderance of Germanic words, people much prefer to listen to beautiful and romantic academic dissertations.

Of all the pseudo-scientific bullshit explanations in this thread, that one takes the cake.
If academia had the same marketing team behind them as pop music does, I bet they would.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

French is an even worse offender in this regard. They will have fifty different nouns and verb tenses that all sound exactly the same. Even some of my French-speaking colleagues get confused and cannot properly pluralize certain words or distinguish between the passé composé and the infinitif. They will write things like 'je suis venu te cherché'.

And a huge chunk of English speakers don't know the difference between "you're" and "your" or the three forms of "there". There are idiots that speak every language. French is super easy to understand in context even if the words sound the same. A bit harder to write, sure, but overall still way easier to learn than English.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kopijeger posted:

Tell that to the dude in the booth at Gare du Nord where they sell museum passes. He seemed to understand my attempts to speak the ideal language, but would not deign to reply in the same. And then there were a few who assumed that a foreigner like me cannot understand something as simple as "Merci, monsieur".

Sometimes in France I'll have a totally fluent conversation with someone in French, then turn to my husband and speak to him for a second, and then the person starts speaking to me in English once they've realized I speak that too, and their English is always worse than my French (I'm 100% fluent, native speaker). They generally just want to be polite/practice the language themselves. It's especially common in super touristy places (and the booths at Gare du Nord sure would qualify) because the French have a reputation for refusing to understand people who speak English/being rude to people who speak English, so I wouldn't be surprised if the dude actually got told by his boss to reply in English no matter what.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

Foreign language teaching in an academic context is rarely sufficient by itself as long as it's not reinforced outside of that context as well. Even in French-language schools in Brussels, where Dutch is compulsory, people usually graduate without knowing more than the basics - if even that. The level of the classes is simply too low, by necessity. It's what happens when you have such an insular culture where, for example, everything on television is dubbed. People just don't come into spontaneous contact with foreign languages, and even if they do they generally have no real interest in absorbing them. I have witnessed French speakers consistently go out of their way not to learn Dutch and/or English even though it would very clearly represent an enormous professional advantage to them and make their lives easier in general. They simply refuse to leave their comfort zone even for a second, which I find utterly baffling. It's really all about mentality and if you don't want to learn a language, there are always a million bullshit excuses you could come up with - it's too hard, it's useless, I'm too old, I don't have a knack for languages, etc.

However, this also means that you have ambitious and driven people making a decision to master a language, or have their children master it, and consciously pursuing that goal in the most efficient manner possible. In the context of native French speakers in Belgium, that means sending your children to a Dutch-language school or enrolling at a Flemish university. They usually come out speaking excellent Dutch and being properly bilingual, whereas most Flemings speak middling French at best. It is interesting to see that knowledge of Dutch is gradually turning into a sociological marker for them, the way knowledge of French used to be in Flanders.

I have heard that some people in France are finally starting to take English seriously, as well.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 10, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

The heart of a Latin, the brain of a Slav.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

I had English classes in CM1 (9 years old), mostly it was stuff like arbre=tree and the like, nothing really major.

I heard the problem was that language lessons were too academic, not enough emphasis put on dialogue, speech...

Yeah, too much writing and not enough speaking. That's theoretically supposed to have changed since at least the 2008 official curriculum but a lot of teachers just keep going the way they were. I did observe a class of CM a few months back who could spontaneously string together simple sentences but that was in a Diwan school so they were already bilingual, which probably helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HookShot posted:

And a huge chunk of English speakers don't know the difference between "you're" and "your" or the three forms of "there". There are idiots that speak every language. French is super easy to understand in context even if the words sound the same. A bit harder to write, sure, but overall still way easier to learn than English.

That's the thing, they're not necessarily idiots, it's just that written French is so unintuitive and unphonetic compared to, say, Spanish. English has the same problem, e.g. with its vowels that seem to be completely interchangeable in many cases.