Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If there are going to be thousands of planets they'll pretty much HAVE to be generic theme planets. I imagine they'll be more like EUIV provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

420 Gank Mid posted:

I really hope paradox doesn't fall into the 'theme' planet trap. Where each planet will have one defining attribute that is uniformly consistent throughout like Tatooine or Hoth

Earth is an ocean planet, Mars is a desert world. :v:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Fintilgin posted:

If there are going to be thousands of planets they'll pretty much HAVE to be generic theme planets. I imagine they'll be more like EUIV provinces.

At least on the ice worlds can every snowflake be unique?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Realistic planets is getting into minutiae territory.

Maybe you could justify it in your head with the idea that when a pop is suited for certain planets, they are suited for the different biomes present in that sort of planet and they settle appropriately on the sand/ice/water seas and avoid the heart of the salt flats/tundra/temperate rain forest.

This guy has the right idea

DrSunshine posted:

Earth is an ocean planet, Mars is a desert world. :v:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fintilgin posted:

But they've also said that planets have tiles, which would allow different types of climate on a single planet.* Earth in this case could be a Mixed World, with ocean, ice, boreal, temperate, and tropical tiles. Actually, a Mixed World designation would be a way to get around the theme planet issue without having to go into too much detail in terms of mechanics. You could expand it a little by adding an additional designation, like Wet Mixed World if the climate varied but didn't include things like deserts, or Dry Mixed World which didn't get any nicer than steppes and grass lands. That wouldn't create a huge amount of extra types, and mechanically they could be distinguished by how easy they would be to develop in certain directions. Like, a Wet Mixed World would be excellent for agriculture, while a Dry Mixed World would more naturally be used for manufacturing. Or goat farming I suppose.

*I actually agree that this seems like too much detail, but I'm just going off what they've presented.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Worlds should just have randomly-generated traits, just like characters from CK2! It'd be a great way to include some variety in "terrain" while being relatively inexpensive to handle.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing is that most planets ARE kind of "theme" worlds. Earth-like planets with varied biomes are a very, very small minority of planets. If a planet is too hot or too cold to support life, then it's essentially just going to be a big ball of rock. Sure the mineral layout and composition may vary along the planet but that's way too much detail for a player to care about.

In sci-fi you can stretch the definition of "life" so that you have species that can natively survive places like Venus or Mars or even Jupiter or something, but it's pretty tricky to then imagine what life would actually be like on a planet with an atmosphere like Venus or gravity like Jupiter (Mars is a bit easier), let alone what kind of biomes would exist because of that life, and what sort of range of conditions that life could actually survive (do they find it easiest to survive around the equator, like us, or do they live on the poles? Can they survive varied enough conditions to live literally everywhere on the planet?)

That said, it would be kind of cool if different species found different kinds of planets more tolerable, and would have to use terraforming technology to make colonies on other types of planets to bring them more in line with their home planet. A Venus dwelling species would find Earth intolerably cold, for example, so if they wanted to invade Earth, or colonize an Earth-like planet, they'd have to pump the atmosphere full of greenhouse gasses just to bring it up to even remotely survivable. Which would of course make conditions very difficult for those being invaded. That could actually be an interesting strategy - pick a race with way out there survival conditions and wage war by rendering planets completely uninhabitable for any species except your own.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh god I sure hope planets do not have tiles that we have to micromanage.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
You don't need lots of themes so much as you do interlocking effects: Space Empires V was a terrible game but the planet type/air type mechanic worked great. If your species were from a hydrogen gas planet, you could only colonise hydrogen gas planets. Research would lead you into different atmospheres (and colonise helium gas planets) or different compositions (and colonise hydrogen oceanic planets) along different trees. It also had no 'influence' though so theoretically you could have two species that weren't in competition for colony space (yet).

e: instead of every 4x ever where every player should rush the planet with the highest numbers

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Bort Bortles posted:

I dunno, part of me really like GalCiv 2's randomly-generated planetary maps that you build structures on. It added some small bit of flavor to those planets and helped me to visualize them as actual places.

Though I remember in the vanilla game they looked kinda crappy, iirc with the expansion they made them look a lot nicer.

drat that game owns.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

And I heard GalCiv III is just a copy-paste job? In a way, it doesn't surprise me, I've always felt like they got lucky with the mechanics working out as relatively well as they did in GalCiv II.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Does it fix unit stats? Specifically, absolutely every unit having some siege ability which makes engineers pointless.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bort Bortles posted:

I think they explained it as settled planets having 3 or 4 tiles and needing to interact with them on some level while colonizing at the least.

Depending on the scale that's not much worse than EU4 but its definitely on my worry list along with construction ships showing up in the preview shots.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

DrSunshine posted:

Worlds should just have randomly-generated traits, just like characters from CK2! It'd be a great way to include some variety in "terrain" while being relatively inexpensive to handle.

This actually sounds like a good compromise.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

And I heard GalCiv III is just a copy-paste job? In a way, it doesn't surprise me, I've always felt like they got lucky with the mechanics working out as relatively well as they did in GalCiv II.

Yeah, there's not much to differentiate 2 and 3 right now. But hell, they managed to finally make Elemental War or whatever the original name was, good with Fallen Enchantress, so maybe an expansion or two.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Give CK2-style traits and modifiers to everything. Give Pops traits in Vic 3.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Takanago posted:

Give CK2-style traits and modifiers to everything. Give Pops traits in Vic 3.

The entirety of West Virginia has become possessed my lord!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

1611 carpenters in Greenland have become Depressed.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
8481 Danes who emigrated to Virginia had the drunkard trait and have now spread it to the rest of the population!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

DrSunshine posted:

1611 carpenters in Greenland have become Depressed.

Give them a good tumblewood!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

The entire Serbian population have gained the trait Stressed following the ultimatum given by the Habsburg Empire

Orv
May 4, 2011
Aquitaine has been spurned in its advances by Orleans.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

Does it fix unit stats? Specifically, absolutely every unit having some siege ability which makes engineers pointless.

I could sure make that change, I always meant to fix the annoying event spam for America anyway, I will do both now

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So, Hearts of Iron 4.
For games like The Phantom Pain, Fallout 4 and etc there are youtubers that report on every tiny tidbit and sperg out at great lengths, are there anyone worth following for Hearts of Iron 4? I really enjoy these people and their rants, plus they dig up information so i don't have to.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dongattack posted:

So, Hearts of Iron 4.
For games like The Phantom Pain, Fallout 4 and etc there are youtubers that report on every tiny tidbit and sperg out at great lengths, are there anyone worth following for Hearts of Iron 4? I really enjoy these people and their rants, plus they dig up information so i don't have to.

There's one really pretty spergy guy who, among other things, streams Paradox stuff, but I can't for the life of me remember it. He has kindof a beard, glasses, sorta late 30's and pudgy. He was one of the press guys who PDS invited to play HoI4 a couple months ago and I got the distinct impression that he (as well as pretty much all of the other Paradox streamers) had never played a Hearts of Iron title before in his life.

Arumba can get pretty spergy. DDRJake knows his poo poo and has a dreamy accent. Shenryyr generally knows EU4 really well and just kinda is average at other Paradox titles. NorthernLion does Paradox stuff too but he's more of an all-rounder.

But Hearts of Iron 4 isn't out yet, so nobody really knows. And none of the major streamers of Paradox games do HoI3 or Darkest Hour, at least not that I know of. I've streamed Kaiserreich a few times and always got a fairly decent amount of viewers (for someone with no audience whatsoever).

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Giving EU4 countries re-skinned CK2 character personalities might end in brilliance, honestly.

Castile under Fernan y Isabela is zealous and cruel. Manchu under Nurhaci is Ambitious. Ming under the Jingtai Emperor is Inbred.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is HoI4 looking any good? I haven't really been following the development. Last time I checked it looked like they were rehashing the whole "draw plans and then the AI carries them out" thing from HoI3, which didn't look especially promising.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dibujante posted:

Giving EU4 countries re-skinned CK2 character personalities might end in brilliance, honestly.

Castile under Fernan y Isabela is zealous and cruel. Manchu under Nurhaci is Ambitious. Ming under the Jingtai Emperor is Inbred.
:pray: Holy poo poo yes.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Bold Robot posted:

Is HoI4 looking any good? I haven't really been following the development. Last time I checked it looked like they were rehashing the whole "draw plans and then the AI carries them out" thing from HoI3, which didn't look especially promising.

I've played HOI3 more hours than I would say is medically good for me but I don't remember that I could draw out battle plans for the AI? I remember you could turn on "Auto-pilot" mode but that isn't really the same. Are you thinking of the Battle planner in Vicky 2 which had no gameplay effect at all?

e: Come to think of it maybe Vicky 2 got that battle planner from HOI3? But that one was for Multiplayer only and didn't actually affect the game or AI.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...iplayer.626372/

Groogy fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 10, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Groogy posted:

I've played HOI3 more hours than I would say is medically good for me but I don't remember that I could draw out battle plans for the AI? I remember you could turn on "Auto-pilot" mode but that isn't really the same. Are you thinking of the Battle planner in Vicky 2 which had no gameplay effect at all?

I haven't played HoI3 since release, so I don't really remember specifics of drawing vs. setting objectives etc. I'm referring to the general idea of developing a plan and then handing it off to the AI to execute that HoI3 seemed to be big on.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Bold Robot posted:

I haven't played HoI3 since release, so I don't really remember specifics of drawing vs. setting objectives etc. I'm referring to the general idea of developing a plan and then handing it off to the AI to execute that HoI3 seemed to be big on.

Yeah but from what I remember it was still very much the AI making its own decisions (i.e auto-pilot) rather than following a grander scheme that you had decided. It wasn't really that much of a situational decision making process in my opinion. It was just "Take Moscow" and watch the AI struggle their way there and when something happened that required your attention you micro-managed pretty much everything. So it never really worked as a tool to actually make your AI actually do stuff because as soon as you un-paused the game you would have to compensate for the enemies responding to your advancement manually anyway.

My experience with HOI4 is rather now I look at my objective which is to take Moscow and prepare several steps before we actually reach the goal, "phases" I would call them and as the horrors of war unfold I compensate and change these different plans or add new ones to update my advance to the situation they are actually facing. So point I guess is that what HOI3 had was "Do I not want to play at all and let AI do everything and fail?" while now it is more the seat of a proper commander. Just my two cent's I guess and is a bit unfair and biased comparison perhaps since you guys can't really actually do a comparison.

Also... Darkrenown probably have a better view of this since I didn't play that much.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 10, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
You could draw battle 'plans' with the last DLC but those are strictly for your own, personal consumption and do not reflect on AI behavior. You can try and have it reach certain objectives, and there are a couple of stances to be chosen from as well, but an entire theater, army group or even army within AI control in HoI3 will immediately do lovely stuff like spread everything around outside HQ control.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing is that most planets ARE kind of "theme" worlds. Earth-like planets with varied biomes are a very, very small minority of planets. If a planet is too hot or too cold to support life, then it's essentially just going to be a big ball of rock. Sure the mineral layout and composition may vary along the planet but that's way too much detail for a player to care about.
While that is true, it's precisely the (rocky) planets which are not just "Cold Rock" or "Hot Rock" that would stand out to a human player, thus it might make sense to portray them in more detail. Plus if we assume terraforming is a thing then the number of planets which start to fall into the vaguely Earth-like category would go up as the game progresses.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Groogy posted:

Yeah but from what I remember it was still very much the AI making its own decisions (i.e auto-pilot) rather than following a grander scheme that you had decided. It wasn't really that much of a situational decision making process in my opinion. It was just "Take Moscow" and watch the AI struggle their way there and when something happened that required your attention you micro-managed pretty much everything. So it never really worked as a tool to actually make your AI actually do stuff because as soon as you un-paused the game you would have to compensate for the enemies responding to your advancement manually anyway.

My experience with HOI4 is rather now I look at my objective which is to take Moscow and prepare several steps before we actually reach the goal, "phases" I would call them and as the horrors of war unfold I compensate and change these different plans or add new ones to update my advance to the situation they are actually facing. So point I guess is that what HOI3 had was "Do I not want to play at all and let AI do everything and fail?" while now it is more the seat of a proper commander. Just my two cent's I guess and is a bit unfair and biased comparison perhaps since you guys can't really actually do a comparison.

Also... Darkrenown probably have a better view of this since I didn't play that much.

This sounds promising if the AI can pull it off. Thanks for the info.

I guess my concern is just ending up in a MOO3 situation where the choice is either crushing, unfun micro or letting the AI play for you (with varying degrees of success). HoI3 fell into that trap. HoI2 had few enough provinces that the micro was fun and reasonable. Will be interested to see what direction HoI4 goes.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Bold Robot posted:

This sounds promising if the AI can pull it off. Thanks for the info.

I guess my concern is just ending up in a MOO3 situation where the choice is either crushing, unfun micro or letting the AI play for you (with varying degrees of success). HoI3 fell into that trap. HoI2 had few enough provinces that the micro was fun and reasonable. Will be interested to see what direction HoI4 goes.

I was playing the Mongol Horde that crushed China and Japan with half a million Cavalry. Was amazing. This was during the development of Horse Lords so I got an itch to try it out. I played with mostly the battle planner at all times and only micro-managed at points where my OCD(No! You are standing on the wrong province at the border, I want you exactly HERE!) took over or if I wanted specifically only one cavalry unit to perform something. Pretty long time ago though, I believe I did that in February or something.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Drone posted:

There's one really pretty spergy guy who, among other things, streams Paradox stuff, but I can't for the life of me remember it. He has kindof a beard, glasses, sorta late 30's and pudgy. He was one of the press guys who PDS invited to play HoI4 a couple months ago and I got the distinct impression that he (as well as pretty much all of the other Paradox streamers) had never played a Hearts of Iron title before in his life.

Arumba can get pretty spergy. DDRJake knows his poo poo and has a dreamy accent. Shenryyr generally knows EU4 really well and just kinda is average at other Paradox titles. NorthernLion does Paradox stuff too but he's more of an all-rounder.

But Hearts of Iron 4 isn't out yet, so nobody really knows. And none of the major streamers of Paradox games do HoI3 or Darkest Hour, at least not that I know of. I've streamed Kaiserreich a few times and always got a fairly decent amount of viewers (for someone with no audience whatsoever).

I'm guessing you mean quill18? Yeah he can't really play HoI. He generally knows a bunch of stuff about Paradox games and explains them quite well but he's by no means a master. Arumba is still much better at CK2 than EU4. Shen is a good EU4 player but he drives me nuts with all the message popups he has enabled but never reads, JUST DISABLE THE drat THINGS HOLY poo poo. There really isn't any HoI specialist on YT or twitch as far as I'm aware.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Are Paradox games still easy enough for laptops to play? My current computer is giving up the ghost and I'd prefer my next machine to be a laptop, since these silly history games are all I play these days and I'd enjoy running my incest and genocide simulators while the wife is next to me watching trashy TV. Can a laptop play these games at a high speed and at the highest level of graphics without the machine costing as much as a "gaming laptop"? Thanks!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Are Paradox games still easy enough for laptops to play? My current computer is giving up the ghost and I'd prefer my next machine to be a laptop, since these silly history games are all I play these days and I'd enjoy running my incest and genocide simulators while the wife is next to me watching trashy TV. Can a laptop play these games at a high speed and at the highest level of graphics without the machine costing as much as a "gaming laptop"? Thanks!

Anything from the last year or two, that isn't purposely ultra-budget would be perfectly fine. You'll get some late slowdown if you're a nutter who plays whole games, but otherwise they aren't all that demanding on a modern machine.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Orv posted:

Anything from the last year or two, that isn't purposely ultra-budget would be perfectly fine. You'll get some late slowdown if you're a nutter who plays whole games, but otherwise they aren't all that demanding on a modern machine.

You can tweak them a bit further in the settings.ini tab to reduce the graphics options even more than possible in-game. I used to play CK2 on my 2009 Macbook Pro running Windows 7 in boot camp, and it was pretty smooth when I turned everything to low / turned off environmental effects / trees / city sprawl / water effects, and in a window at 1024x768 :v:

EU4 was quite a bit rougher though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

They are usually processor constrained. I used my Mom's year or two old budget ($400 at time of purchase) laptop to play EU4 over the last holiday visit at an acceptable if slightly slower than normal speed. I forget if they ever got parallel processing to work well enough to say you should focus on more cores instead of higher per core speed. I think the standard Intel onboard mobile video chipset will work for the foreseeable future since we haven't heard anything about big engine update plans.

• Locked thread