Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

precision posted:

I actually ended up watching Welcome To Me which, goddamn, give Kristen Wiig all the awards for that poo poo. :stare:

I feel like this bears repeating, because seriously you guys, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Hurt locker is good, yeah. Really good, in fact.

let's not go overboard here

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

I feel like this bears repeating, because seriously you guys, seriously.

It's one of the most loopy movies I've seen recently. It reminds me a lot of Citizen Ruth.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Welcome to Me is quite loving good. It's like the quirkier, more nuanced side of Nightcrawler.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Hurt locker is good, yeah. Really good, in fact.

Hurt Locker is a decent movie, but deserves a lot of flak because it's just total action/thriller junk that is portrayed (and was hyped as) a realistic portrayal of the war in Iraq. Huge amounts of inaccuracies, squads going out solo in a Humvee, blood jamming guns, etc. "Tactical Realism" arguments are usually pedantic and stupid but since it's played straight, the bullshit really takes away from the weight of the film.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My mom took me to see the Island of Doctor Moreau when it was in theaters. I was 13.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alterian posted:

My mom took me to see the Island of Doctor Moreau when it was in theaters. I was 13.

I was 11. That movie fuckin' stuck with me, I'll tell you what.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LogisticEarth posted:

Hurt Locker is a decent movie, but deserves a lot of flak because it's just total action/thriller junk that is portrayed (and was hyped as) a realistic portrayal of the war in Iraq. Huge amounts of inaccuracies, squads going out solo in a Humvee, blood jamming guns, etc. "Tactical Realism" arguments are usually pedantic and stupid but since it's played straight, the bullshit really takes away from the weight of the film.
Why

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Welcome to Me was weird as gently caress to watch when I'm 99% sure my last girlfriend had undiagnosed borderline personality disorder, and basically everything Kristen wigg did in it was a really exaggerated version of something she would do.

I thought it was pretty good if not a little aimless at times. Definitely worth a watch.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Currently watching Three Kings after sitting in my queue for months after a few mentions of it in this thread. Really like it so far and wish I'd watched it sooner.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Stairmaster posted:

Did anyone see undisputed which is laying around on Netflix? it had a weird choice for a boxing film in telling the audience multiple times the plucky underdog is probably actually going to win. It tricked me into thinking the antagonist was actually the protagonist for like 90% of the film.
Which one? Those are the ones where the bad guy is Scott Adkins playing as a crazed evil russian MMA fighter who "vants to be zhe most complete fighterr in zhe vorld!" and is the antagonist in the first two, and then goes through a redemptive arc in the third.

I like to think that Undisputed is canon for Ninja II's backstory.

edit: oops, I thought he was in the first one as well. Still a fun trilogy to go through if you enjoy training montages of dudes who've been crossed one-too-many times, before they go pure Van Damme a la Bloodsport.

A MIRACLE posted:

Is Hurt Locker any good
Yeah. It made me think of Jeremy Renner as a lot better actor than I used to think of him, since most of what I'd seen him in involved high school capers and motocross scenes, set to Linkin Park.

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah, the scene where the protagonist has his son on his knee and he's telling him, "I only love one or two things in my life... Well, just one. *scene darkens and cuts to scene to him debarking in Iraq again* is purely pro-war.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 10, 2015

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Currently watching Three Kings after sitting in my queue for months after a few mentions of it in this thread. Really like it so far and wish I'd watched it sooner.

Same here, finally saw it last week.

I thought it fell apart in the late second and third act when it became about saving the refugees. It had a nice, nihilistic spirit up until that point and I wish it had gone further with it. The torture scene was standout, I wish the whole back half of the movie had been more about them dealing with the consequences of poo poo hitting the fan.

I was so ready to give it five or four stars and then those last twenty minutes were an eternity. So boring.

Edit: also I think logistic earth is right, I disliked hurt locker on first viewing since I think it was misrepresented as some searing portrait of the war in Iraq. Lowered expectations on a second watch it's fine.

Cocoa Ninja fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 10, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

LogisticEarth posted:

No it doesn't.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hurt Locker is good, but not as good as like, Generation Kill.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Edit: also I think logistic earth is right, I disliked hurt locker on first viewing since I think it was misrepresented as some searing portrait of the war in Iraq. Lowered expectations on a second watch it's fine.

Yeah, my point wasn't that the movie was outright ruined by the misrepresentations, just that a lot of the film's prominence after it's release was bogus. It is, as I said, decent, but ultimately forgettable outside of the hype surrounding it's release. "Fine" is a good way to describe it.

Anyway, I took a leap and watched The Phoenix Project despite low ratings. I wouldn't bother with it. It heavily apes Primer, except the story is pretty straightforward, and the resolution predictable and not that interesting. When you resurrect a human, their minds are blank. Then everyone smashes the machine with sledgehammers. Not worth the hour of hamfisted angst that lead up to it..

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I would highly recommend the Retrieval. Set in 1864 at the outskirts of the American civil war, an African American boy and his uncle are hired by a bounty hunter to find an escaped slave working for the Union army and bring him back south.

Warning : You have to give it 10-20 minutes to settle into the look (at least 10 minutes to get the full setup) -- between the production design and the sets, sometimes the seams show that it's a low-budget movie. There's one "action" sequence in particular that doesn't quite come together.

BUT. The acting is wall to wall excellent, the writing is very good and given the perfect amount of breathing room -- defied my low expectations at every turn. A wonderfully simple narrative where not a scene nor interaction is wasted. I really recommend it.

Edit: OH and last thing. The movie smartly plays on the outskirts of the civil war setting for budget reasons, but the result has vibes of The Road or the walking dead as far as apocalyptic setting. Which I liked.

Cocoa Ninja fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 10, 2015

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Welcome to Me may be one of the most uncomfortable watches I've seen in a while, but man what a performance.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hurt Locker is outstanding. Bigelow's one of our best directors.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

precision posted:

Hurt Locker is good, but not as good as like, Generation Kill.

Comparing two very different things here.

Hurt Locker is a really good film. If I'm supposed to care about inaccuracies in fictional material now let me tell you I'm going to go over nearly every war movie ever made and come back with lists. LISTS!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't remember The Hurt Locker being marketed the same way stuff like Lone Survivor and American Sniper were, it was marketed more as just a really tense action/thriller.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I think people maybe feel that way only because it was set in Iraq. It was written by a frigging journalist, it's hardly telling everyone 'this is exactly accurate'.

one complaint according to Wikipedia is

a number of errors—among them wrong uniforms, lack of radio communication or misbehavior of the soldiers—would prevent service members from enjoying the film.

which actually made me laugh.

Hopefully no policemen have watched any film ever made which features policemen because they're gonna be really annoyed at most of them.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I was 11. That movie fuckin' stuck with me, I'll tell you what.

I watched it on my dad's big rear end projection tv when i was 11. Cat-Fairuza Balk, all-white fat Brando with shoulder homonculus, Val Kilmer having a nervous breakdown on screen...it's a hard movie to forget.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I think people maybe feel that way only because it was set in Iraq. It was written by a frigging journalist, it's hardly telling everyone 'this is exactly accurate'.

one complaint according to Wikipedia is

a number of errors—among them wrong uniforms, lack of radio communication or misbehavior of the soldiers—would prevent service members from enjoying the film.

which actually made me laugh.

Hopefully no policemen have watched any film ever made which features policemen because they're gonna be really annoyed at most of them.

Dear makers of The Other Guys,

As a NYPD detective, I feel that the portrayal of NYPD detectives set by Mr. Samuel L. Jackson and Mr. Dwayne Johnson are highly problematic, for the following bulleted points:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Let's just blow it out and say "any show with cops or lawyers in it". The kind of poo poo they get up to for dramatic effect is absolutely insane. More to the point, there's no real way to read "blood jamming a gun" as something other than a metaphor.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Let's just blow it out and say "any show with cops or lawyers in it".

It's really any profession at all, others are usually just too boring to be dramatized.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my only problem with the Hurt Locker is some of the dialogue's not great, but Mark Boal definitely worked those bugs out by Zero Dark Thirty.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

It's really any profession at all, others are usually just too boring to be dramatized.

Yea, this is a good point. Even when a film is trying to portray a boring and tedious job they never go far enough because then who'd watch it? A true-to-life Clerks would be 99% Dante sitting in silence, flipping through magazines and maybe once a shift an interesting character comes in and converses with him. The restaurant staff in Waiting is ten times more humorous, interesting, and charismatic than any place I've ever worked.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

I don't remember The Hurt Locker being marketed the same way stuff like Lone Survivor and American Sniper were, it was marketed more as just a really tense action/thriller.
I don't remember the official marketing but at the time I definitely got the impression it was supposed to be some harrowing literal depiction of what actually happened over there.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

david_a posted:

I don't remember the official marketing but at the time I definitely got the impression it was supposed to be some harrowing literal depiction of what actually happened over there.

i've heard this from people, but i agree with the other guy, i remember all the marketing really pushing the suspense of the bomb-diffusing scenes (both the poster and the trailers revolved heavily around that image of Renner pulling all the daisy-chained bombs out of the sand) more than the gritty supposed realism

admittedly, that focus may have shifted after it got nominated for a whole mess of oscars

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 10, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Turambar posted:

I see that Netflix just added 11 seasons of NCIS. It's like bubblegum for your eyes. Nothing too challenging, and there's a nice group dynamic. Just like Leverage.

No, don't. The show is loving ridiculous and not in a good way.

If you must, just watch the season finales. The way they up the stakes in the latter seasons is insane to the point where you're pretty sure the next season the only way they can go is some Tom Clancy US gets nuked poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I would highly recommend the Retrieval. Set in 1864 at the outskirts of the American civil war, an African American boy and his uncle are hired by a bounty hunter to find an escaped slave working for the Union army and bring him back south.

Warning : You have to give it 10-20 minutes to settle into the look (at least 10 minutes to get the full setup) -- between the production design and the sets, sometimes the seams show that it's a low-budget movie. There's one "action" sequence in particular that doesn't quite come together.

BUT. The acting is wall to wall excellent, the writing is very good and given the perfect amount of breathing room -- defied my low expectations at every turn. A wonderfully simple narrative where not a scene nor interaction is wasted. I really recommend it.

Edit: OH and last thing. The movie smartly plays on the outskirts of the civil war setting for budget reasons, but the result has vibes of The Road or the walking dead as far as apocalyptic setting. Which I liked.

I watched this a while back and it's really good, but you are right the production design is a little rough. I felt a little too aware that it was actually made in modern times throughout it. Great acting and characters though.

Also if I remember right it's really short so not a huge time commitment.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I thought The Hurt Locker was entertaining, but I always divorce the "gritty realism" marketing from the actual film. Even almost every highly acclaimed "Based on a true story" movie is 90% complete made up bullshit. You have to just go in expecting it to be fiction, regardless of how it is filmed.

For that reason, I feel like Bigelow's follow-up was more troublesome in that regard. Hurt Locker you can take as pure drama. Zero Dark Thirty mixes accurate historical depictions of events with fictional storytelling in a way that could easily give people the wrong impression of what transpired.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

COOL CORN posted:

Welcome to Me may be one of the most uncomfortable watches I've seen in a while, but man what a performance.

I had myself a twofer of Wiig over the weekend with Welcome to Me and Skeleton Twins. Man, that woman can act. There were a few parts in Welcome to Me that veered a bit too close to her SNL characters, but then other parts kept it fairly well grounded in reality and what it's actually like to have borderline personality disorder (albeit turned up to 11 in this case).

Has anyone watched The Comet? The description looks interesting and I'm a huge nerd when it comes to time fuckery, plus I find Justin Long inoffensive. Worth a viewing?

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
The Hurt Locker

I'm not one of those people who would complain in a military movie about "Oh, the badge is on the wrong arm!" or "Those red dot sights weren't available until 2007, not 2006..."

But the way they depict EOD jobs seems to be fundamentally different from real life — the real guys almost never suit up, you almost always use the robot, you're always trying to avoid the blast radius. So when the premise of the movie is that Renner's so good at his job precisely because he throws caution to the wind...first time I saw it it just rubbed me the wrong way.

But perhaps on a rewatch I will see it's all a metaphor for how we dealt with the war oooooooooo spooky :ghost:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, this is a good point. Even when a film is trying to portray a boring and tedious job they never go far enough because then who'd watch it? A true-to-life Clerks would be 99% Dante sitting in silence, flipping through magazines and maybe once a shift an interesting character comes in and converses with him. The restaurant staff in Waiting is ten times more humorous, interesting, and charismatic than any place I've ever worked.

Those two movies were made by people distilling their actual experiences in those jobs into a film, though. Most movies about cops and lawyers are made by people who learned about them by watching L.A. Law when they were 10.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cocoa Ninja posted:

The Hurt Locker

I'm not one of those people who would complain in a military movie about "Oh, the badge is on the wrong arm!" or "Those red dot sights weren't available until 2007, not 2006..."

But the way they depict EOD jobs seems to be fundamentally different from real life — the real guys almost never suit up, you almost always use the robot, you're always trying to avoid the blast radius. So when the premise of the movie is that Renner's so good at his job precisely because he throws caution to the wind...first time I saw it it just rubbed me the wrong way.

But perhaps on a rewatch I will see it's all a metaphor for how we dealt with the war oooooooooo spooky :ghost:

the important thing to keep in mind is that while Renner's character is "good at his job" in the sense that he is successful at defusing bombs, he's so crazy and reckless that the other guys on his EOD team seriously consider fragging him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Those two movies were made by people distilling their actual experiences in those jobs into a film, though. Most movies about cops and lawyers are made by people who learned about them by watching L.A. Law when they were 10.

I think the same principle is at work though. I don't think the cops and lawyers in movies are wrong because of ignorance, its because the people making the film want more action/drama and less tedium. Kevin Smith knows that ten different wacky characters don't come into a convenience store to have hilarious conversations every night, but he wanted to use the storytelling device of everything happening in one night, so he sacrifices a little bit of realism for it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i've heard this from people, but i agree with the other guy, i remember all the marketing really pushing the suspense of the bomb-diffusing scenes (both the poster and the trailers revolved heavily around that image of Renner pulling all the daisy-chained bombs out of the sand) more than the gritty supposed realism

admittedly, that focus may have shifted after it got nominated for a whole mess of oscars

I always try to divorce marketing from the movie, if possible, because it is almost always so inaccurate. For example, I avoided Drive for almost two years because the trailer was so obnoxiously bad and cartoonish. Now it is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the important thing to keep in mind is that while Renner's character is "good at his job" in the sense that he is successful at defusing bombs, he's so crazy and reckless that the other guys on his EOD team seriously consider fragging him.

He's a reckless EOD tech....who GETS RESULTS.

This fall on FOX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone with Amazon Prime streaming should watch Catastrophe. It's only six 20 minute episodes and it's fall off the couch hilarious.