Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Do we have the same client? Mine doesn't even allow RDP or any remote assistance programs (even those that don't use an external server) inside their own LAN.

...how do they manage anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Jeoh posted:

...how do they manage anything?

Easy! They don't! Think of all the money they save!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Well IT workstations can RDP to servers, but you can't RDP from anywhere to a workstation ever.

Which makes it fun when I rack a switch and the network team asks for console access so they can configure it.. We have a terminal server in the DC, but not in the access closets.

Of course they could just mail me a basic configuration and let me apply it, but that's apparently too hard.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Renegret posted:

I love all the recruiters I get who tell me about an close opportunity.

Well yeah Stamford, CT is ~20 miles away from me, but I live in Long Island so it's a 2 hour drive without traffic.

Yeah, people don't understand that people on LI can't actually drive across the sound.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, people don't understand that people on LI can't actually drive across the sound.

Just get a boat or start a ferry business or get a jetpack or something, I mean come on. Do you want this job or not?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A package came in. Bought a bunch of Chromebook management licenses from a company a while back, and they sent me a little package. I thought hmm, maybe its a flash drive or something, you know, useful and IT-related! Nope:

:saddowns:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sirotan posted:

A package came in. Bought a bunch of Chromebook management licenses from a company a while back, and they sent me a little package. I thought hmm, maybe its a flash drive or something, you know, useful and IT-related! Nope:

Useful is nice, but at a certain point, don't you have enough lovely 2GB usb drives lying around?

They spent more on postage than the gum, it's the thought that counts!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sirotan posted:

Maybe it's a hint :saddowns:

Inspector_666 posted:

I understand it for any dumb website that just runs off of distance, but if you're a human I'd expect you to at least take 30 seconds to look at google maps and put 2+2 together.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sirotan posted:

Ol' George does not appreciate your ingratitude.

Renegret posted:

I understand it for any dumb website that just runs off of distance, but if you're a human I'd expect you to at least take 30 seconds to look at google maps and put 2+2 together.

Nope, even after you tell them this fact they will simply repeat "But it's only 15 miles away."

When I was in Amagansett, Dell kept trying to send us up to places around New London for warranty work and nobody there could grasp that it would take us 4+ hours and involve over $100 in ferry tickets. I had one of them open Google Maps and confirm they saw all of the blue stuff and they were still like "But our system says it's within the mileage limit you gave us." (We gave them a list of specific zipcodes we would work in to avoid this exact situation.)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 10, 2015

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Useful is nice, but at a certain point, don't you have enough lovely 2GB usb drives lying around?

They spent more on postage than the gum, it's the thought that counts!

I don't even chew gum or eat candy though, so this is even more useless. I actually only have one lovely USB drive lying around, it's a 1gb. I could use a 2gb!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Renegret posted:

I love all the recruiters I get who tell me about an close opportunity.

Well yeah Stamford, CT is ~20 miles away from me, but I live in Long Island so it's a 2 hour drive without traffic.

But I can see Long Island from the Stamford waterfront! That means it's totally close

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

I love how they bow tied it

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
A ticket came in:
"I can't connect to the VPN network. Please help."
"Are you sure you're using the correct password?"
"I am!"
"Yes [user], passwords are case sensitive."

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

hihifellow posted:

A phone call came in... my grandmother saw the "Update to Windows 10!" dialog box and clicked it, and is now utterly helpless.

I really should get her a chromedesk.

I don't really get how people get confused by changes between operating systems since Windows 7. If you already know how to do something in Windows 7, 8, or 10, you know how to do it in the others - hit the windows key and start typing. I literally have no idea how to get to the control panel the "correct" way in Windows 10*, but it doesn't matter. Hit the windows key or click on the start menu, type 'control panel', and what do you know, there it is.

*I actually tried to poke around to find it, and failed. I would assume somewhere in Settings, but that apparently that's not right.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 10, 2015

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Just had a "Critical" ticket come in.

On one of our web apps, the process is to click the "Print invoice" button which actually just generates a PDF which automatically downloads and then they open it in Adobe Reader where they then print it. No problem.

This time it prompted with a "Save As" dialog box first.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

nexxai posted:

Just had a "Critical" ticket come in.

On one of our web apps, the process is to click the "Print invoice" button which actually just generates a PDF which automatically downloads and then they open it in Adobe Reader where they then print it. No problem.

This time it prompted with a "Save As" dialog box first.

I have responded to a very similar high priority ticket. Windows only supports 99 copies in a folder so when you get to Invoice.pdf (99) it throws up the save as dialog

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't really get how people get confused by changes between operating systems since Windows 7. If you already know how to do something in Windows 7, 8, or 10, you know how to do it in the others - hit the windows key and start typing. I literally have no idea how to get to the control panel the "correct" way in Windows 10*, but it doesn't matter. Hit the windows key or click on the start menu, type 'control panel', and what do you know, there it is.

*I actually tried to poke around to find it, and failed. I would assume somewhere in Settings, but that apparently that's not right.

In windows 8 and 10 right-click the Start button.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Roargasm posted:

I have responded to a very similar high priority ticket. Windows only supports 99 copies in a folder so when you get to Invoice.pdf (99) it throws up the save as dialog

Presumably these invoices have invoice numbers which are unique. They should be part of the filename.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Roargasm posted:

I don't know if I'd mentioned it before pages and pages back, but we had a user who, since the mid-1990's, named all excel workbooks as .xlw as opposed to .xls. His replacement was convinced that we had data corruption and need to restore from remote tape, pronto. As I'm sitting there opening file after file in Excel just fine, she's continuing to be convinced there's a severe issue and that we have lost two decades of financial data.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Koskun posted:

In windows 8 and 10 right-click the Start button.
There's also the Metro Modern one if you Win+C -> Settings -> Control Panel

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to notice that after I merged the two separate postings I had for job X which resulted in a promotion to job Y, I'm getting more hits on the resume.

The radio station that I went to last week asked me to fill out their internal job application "before we can proceed." I'm guessing it's a very good thing to get HR-required paperwork in.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm that user that sends in dumb tickets, today.

Our rep is an insufferable rear end in a top hat who can't answer simple questions without taking the opportunity to tell you that you're a fuckup and should stop being a fuckup.

Basically, our sales department uses an RDP connection to do most of their work. We've got a VPN connection setup on the firewall to allow this connection, but we have three users with laptops that have to use a VPN client to make that connection when not in the building.

Guess who installed Windows 10 without asking?
Guess which VPN client can no longer be installed?

I emailed the rep asking for the connection settings to see if I could get Window's built in VPN working.

His response:

quote:

We have not given the OK to go to Win 10
Are these clients within your building
Or are these the Clients that uses the remote Cisco VPN
Currently we support Cisco VPN
Our VPN may not support Win10 until we do upgrades
That are not scheduled yet

Should always check with Vendors to confirm that support adn OS
We are a Vendor to you

Like, drat, man, I know it's hosed, don't write an entire paragraph telling me I'm dumb. However, I do appreciate that even people who do business with us have no clue how loving bush league are. What, you don't just hand entire departments laptops right from the shelves at the local office supply store and let them do whatever they want? Geez, I thought that was best use BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT WE loving DO AROUND HERE JESUS CHRIST

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 10, 2015

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

larchesdanrew posted:

Our rep is an insufferable rear end in a top hat who can't answer simple questions without taking the opportunity to tell you that you're a fuckup and should stop being a fuckup.

Basically, our sales department uses an RDP connection to do most of their work. We've got a VPN connection setup on the firewall to allow this connection, but we have three users with laptops that have to use a VPN client to make that connection when not in the building.

I emailed the rep asking for the connection settings to see if I could get Window's built in VPN working.

His response:

Like, drat, man, I know it's hosed, don't write an entire paragraph telling me I'm dumb.

Have you seen the funky workaround using Citrix DNE?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If it's an option, I installed windows 10 this weekend and then I rolled back to 7 without problems.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

larchesdanrew posted:

His response:

Like, drat, man, I know it's hosed, don't write an entire paragraph telling me I'm dumb. However, I do appreciate that even people who do business with us have no clue how loving bush league are. What, you don't just hand entire departments laptops right from the shelves at the local office supply store and let them do whatever they want? Geez, I thought that was best use BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT WE loving DO AROUND HERE JESUS CHRIST

I honestly don't know how people like that grow to be functioning adults and hold a "professional" job. What the gently caress, man.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Worked a charm, man, thanks! Got it installed, but the connection gets severed by peer, so I guess they do need to figure out something on their end first. Whoops.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Quote is not edit.

EDIT: I explained the problem to him. Here's more:

quote:

Don't understand your reply

You say the uses the Cisco VPN on both clients and one remote user

Any within your building do not run VPN software
They only run RDC remote desktop
Does Win 10 have RCD

A quick google looks like issues
rdc doesnt work after win10 install via windows update

Are you using win10 std or PRO
Usually takes PRO

With each Windows operating system, Microsoft has long offered different editions. Each edition is targeted toward different audiences. There's usually a consumer version, a Pro edition (for business-types), and an Enterprise offering (includes additional, Enterprise-related technologies).

I specifically stated their outdated Cisco client they use won't install. Nowhere did I mention that Windows 10 doesn't have remote desktop? Also, thanks for explaining editions of Windows to IT, I was very unclear on that whole Home/Pro mess.

I know there's some disconnect between users and IT where it seems like IT is speaking another language, but, for the life of me, I can't decipher most of what this guy types.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You're not the only one.

Also I have heard nothing about RDC issues in Windows 10; going 10->7 and 7->10 has worked fine for me without issue (and then I've upgraded everything I use to 10 anyways so :shrug:).

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

Quote is not edit.

EDIT: I explained the problem to him. Here's more:

I specifically stated their outdated Cisco client they use won't install. Nowhere did I mention that Windows 10 doesn't have remote desktop? Also, thanks for explaining editions of Windows to IT, I was very unclear on that whole Home/Pro mess.

I know there's some disconnect between users and IT where it seems like IT is speaking another language, but, for the life of me, I can't decipher most of what this guy types.

I really can't say anything here without looking like a bigot. :wtc:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

a quick google looks like issues.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Sorry to thread spam.

Last reply, and hooooooly poo poo

quote:

itt will have wait until tomorrrow

you are kepping me from trying to get out of teh office to go work on my Heat Pump at home that got knocked off my storms this afternoon

I hope it's just fusses outside

:suicide:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

larchesdanrew posted:

Sorry to thread spam.

This seems like a pretty primo reason to go find a new vendor.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'm customer facing and, holy poo poo, I would fire myself if I talked to my customers that way.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

Sorry to thread spam.

Uhh... do you guys have like, a dedicated rep with this vendor? Do you want to never talk to this support guy again? Forward this chain to them. Holy god.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Uhh... do you guys have like, a dedicated rep with this vendor? Do you want to never talk to this support guy again? Forward this chain to them. Holy god.

He's... our dedicated rep :downs:

A while back he sent the general manager a rambling email whining that he's tired of getting emails from users and we need to set up a designated person to email him on behalf of the station. That went to my supervisor, who never emails him. It's why he gets so pissy when I email him.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I love this guy, I wish he was my rep.

It might just be fusses!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Your second mistake was thinking that general users know that you CAN hit Windows and type to find programs. Your first was thinking that general users know what the Windows key, Start menu, or Control Panel are, and furthermore where has My Computer gone, and it keeps launching File Explorer when I want Windows Explorer!?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Kyrosiris posted:

You're not the only one.

Also I have heard nothing about RDC issues in Windows 10; going 10->7 and 7->10 has worked fine for me without issue (and then I've upgraded everything I use to 10 anyways so :shrug:).
There were a few times on the tech preview when I couldn't connect to/from win10 to/from win7 using RDP, but they always went away as mysteriously as they appeared.

Ghostlight posted:

Your second mistake was thinking that general users know that you CAN hit Windows and type to find programs. Your first was thinking that general users know what the Windows key, Start menu, or Control Panel are, and furthermore where has My Computer gone, and it keeps launching File Explorer when I want Windows Explorer!?
I've had computer competent adults not know what the windows key is. I just facepalmed and tried to explain its the little flag looking key between ctrl and alt on the left side of the keyboard.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 11, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ilkhan posted:

There were a few times on the tech preview when I couldn't connect to/from win10 to/from win7 using RDP, but they always went away as mysteriously as they appeared.

I've had computer competent adults not know what the windows key is. I just facepalmed and tried to explain its the little flag looking key between ctrl and alt on the left side of the keyboard.

Ah, I never messed with the previews, so this has all been post-release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ilkhan posted:

I always told them to look for the Windows logo on the keyboard.

• Locked thread