Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Olds still use cds and analog clocks in cars are the epitome of class and style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

88h88 posted:

It has an analogue clock. In 2015. ^^

I want to say the Lexus SC had a tape deck available in 2010. I know it was the last car on the US market with a tape deck for sure.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Analog clocks rule.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Twerk from Home posted:

I want to say the Lexus SC had a tape deck available in 2010. I know it was the last car on the US market with a tape deck for sure.

Really? loving hell.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

88h88 posted:

Really? loving hell.

Here you go: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/automobiles/06AUDIO.html

I bet they get used, too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

All the proof one ever needed to know that lexus makes cars for old people.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Dislike button posted:

I think this is gorgeous and most of the other modern Lexus vehicles have equally great interiors, but gently caress that silver swoopy center stack on the prior models. That would be a dealbreaker for me because I would never stop noticing it. At least you can't see the spindle grille when you are inside the car.

I hate hard plasticky fake wood on steering wheels. You have to upgrade to the "F sport" in all their models to get rid of it. Reminds me of my friends 300C steering wheel. Meh.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Is there a better solution for borrowing audiobooks than CD? Last I checked, doing it electronically was always a pain in the rear end, one way or another.

Edit: My point is that there's a good reason for keeping CD as an option in new cars. I don't mean to turn this into audiobook chat.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Is there a better solution for borrowing audiobooks than CD? Last I checked, doing it electronically was always a pain in the rear end, one way or another.

Edit: My point is that there's a good reason for keeping CD as an option in new cars. I don't mean to turn this into audiobook chat.

My library has a pretty good system called "overdrive", I use it for ebooks and audiobooks all the time.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

88h88 posted:

It has an analogue clock. In 2015. ^^

MB still has analogue clocks in their C / E / S class cars.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If only you could get German design without the German engineering.

Edit: Analog clocks also have their uses, beyond being a hell of lot nicer they're also quicker to see roughly what time it is or how much time has passed at a glance.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 10, 2015

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Um all new dashboards have digital clocks in them. Literally within the same glance of the speedometer

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
We're picking up our new Focus tonight, it literally took four months from order to arrival. Apparently they kept it for some time, likely for a photo shoot or even a commercial. Not sure how much of that I believe but it'd be pretty sweet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

awesome-express posted:

Um all new dashboards have digital clocks in them. Literally within the same glance of the speedometer

Shockingly, some of us have other people ride in the car with us.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

...and we live in a world where said passenger can't ask "what time is it?"

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

88h88 posted:

...and we live in a world where said passenger can't ask "what time is it?"

"Uh" ... glance down ... "It's ni- poo poo sec... Nine thirty seven"

This is a dumb argument, if you don't clocks on dashboards that's okay.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It's a dumb argument full stop because if you ask a person for the time, more often than not they look at their phone.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I am a poster in the watch thread where we talk about pieces of metal that tell time less accurately than a microwave. I also like cars. :shrug:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Shockingly, some of us have other people ride in the car with us.

Shockingly most passengers have smart phones

and if you're in the right social circles then most of them will have an apple watch :smug:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

awesome-express posted:

and if you're in the right social circles then most of them will have an apple watch :smug:

No, if you're in the right social circles, they'll have a real timepiece, not those overpriced travesties. :smug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sinestro posted:

No, if you're in the right social circles, they'll have a real timepiece, not those overpriced travesties. :smug:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

awesome-express posted:

those people are usually outside on their bicycles

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sinestro posted:

:ironicat:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

awesome-express posted:

and if you're in the wrong social circles then most of them will have an apple watch :smug:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

kimcicle posted:

MB still has analogue clocks in their C / E / S class cars.

Analog==old==quality==luxury.

Or something like that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sinestro posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Analog==old==quality==luxury.

Or something like that.

I think it's really analog = mechanical craftsmanship = expensive and unique = luxury even though obviously all of the analog clocks are run digitally (resetting the clock in a Passat is fun).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Apple watches are disposable, a 'real' watch is a thing that can become an heirloom. This is a mountain that will never be overcome.

That Lexus reminds me of the Eagle Thrust electric car that Top Gear made.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think it's really analog = mechanical craftsmanship = expensive and unique = luxury even though obviously all of the analog clocks are run digitally (resetting the clock in a Passat is fun).

My wife's old POS PT Cruiser had an analog clock in the dash. You set it by just holding in a single button underneath it and watching the hands spin. That's right, to adjust for DST you had to watch the fuckin thing spin around 23 or 25 times, and it moved reaaaaalllly slow.

God that car loving sucked.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I can't help but find it amusing that Chrysler couldn't even get a loving basic clock right.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Well they sell over 100,000 of them a year, so I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you're just being edgy for the sake of being edgy? :shobon:

I'm sorry 100,000 people a year have bad taste?

When Lincoln has more modern designs than you do, you're hosed.

Edit: I tried really hard to find a luxury crossover that didn't have aluminum (or fake silvery plastic) in the interior. No such luck.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 11, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That just looks tacky

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

That just looks tacky

Find me one that doesn't. I'll wait.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KillHour posted:

I'm sorry 100,000 people a year have bad taste?

When Lincoln has more modern designs than you do, you're hosed.

Edit: I tried really hard to find a luxury crossover that didn't have aluminum (or fake silvery plastic) in the interior. No such luck.

Why? Because you really like using touchscreens to control everything and accidentally turning the car off on the highway when you try to change the radio station? I've actually crossshopped both the NX200 and the MKC extensively with my family, while the MKC isn't bad you can clearly see why its so much cheaper than the Lexus. The design and materials of the Lexus interior are miles away better, not to mention the touchpad based iDrive-type system is far superior to touchscreens.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah my sister just got a new NX200t and the interior is really, really nice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My wife's old POS PT Cruiser had an analog clock in the dash. You set it by just holding in a single button underneath it and watching the hands spin. That's right, to adjust for DST you had to watch the fuckin thing spin around 23 or 25 times, and it moved reaaaaalllly slow.

God that car loving sucked.

Ha, that's a bit like the Passat, which has the cheapest shittiest looking analog clock known to man. You set it and the hands jump incrementally.

For a while, the analog clock was a part of Chrysler's design language. Not sure if it still is - I know the 300 has one, but I forget about the 200. I can check tomorrow.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Lexus is for people smart enough to care about quality.

German badges are for people rich enough to not give a poo poo.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

PCOS Bill posted:

I love the red stitching on the brown leather

I'm on the same page. I feel like brown as a whole is underused in cars today. And I mean straight up strong brown, not beige. I want some MUTHAFUCKIN POOP looking interior!

Wheeee posted:

This is a troll post right? If not: whut lol

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Wheeee posted:

Lexus is for people born without taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Lexus is for people born without taste.

Pretty sure Mercedes Benz has that market cornered