Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
As long as your bust is life size, you will probably be fine buying any Male Wig that is in the style you want. You're looking into basically 'one size fits all' options in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrakenandEggs
Aug 1, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just wanna make sure whatever wig I buy is going to fit the head. I hit ebay and there's a shitload of different options. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting money on the wrong type.

I don't know squat about wigs, so I dunno what to look for.

It's hard since you've given us so little to go off of for what you want/need to know.

So long as you are using a vaguely human sized mannequin head, it should fit fine. Nowadays even the cheapest of wigs have a slight stretch to them and adjustable straps, so I would not worry too much about the fit. 'Heat resistant' means it can be styled with heat and usually costs more, if it doesn't say and you want to curl/straighten it test a very small hidden section of the wig first. If it is not it will just melt. If you want a realistic hairline, you want a lace front which will add to the price. Things to look out for with ebay wigs is that they're probably going to be shiny and you have a chance that it's going to be incredibly thin and you can see the wig cap underneath. Try for fuller looking styles. Honestly just buy one, if you don't care about the quality you're not going to be out more than ten bucks and you can figure things out.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I only have mediocre hallway photos of it all so far but hooray, WarCraft debut at GenCon went pretty well!

The whole group, including our (apparently deceased) acolyte, whose robes I did the printing for

My costume!

Me with the contest grand prize winner, almost twinsies. This dude was freaking gigantic.

Dementor's kissing my co-builder/husband, he did a shitload of the work with me in the end. All the sewing, about half the patterns, most of the scales, and all the straps/attachment stuff in general was thanks to him.

Next up in McPantserton's life is Frostmourne, and uhh I def also started planning a wizard costume from Diablo because I hate free time. One major lesson I learned from this particular costume, though: I used a sweater for the chainmail and SERIOUSLY underestimated how hot I would be. I had ice packs in the back but I still got very, very dehydrated from wearing it for like 1.5-2 hours on Friday and ended up feeling really ill and crashing early. I'm planning on getting at least 4 more icepacks next time I wear it and am going to pay way closer attention to how much I'm sweating. Be safe, folks!

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
http://valkyriestudios.net/moldmaking-resin-casting-for-beginners/

Found this through a Metro con group, I think. Decent beginners resin tutorials, and far better than what you will usually find out there.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

McPantserton posted:

I only have mediocre hallway photos of it all so far but hooray, WarCraft debut at GenCon went pretty well!

The whole group, including our (apparently deceased) acolyte, whose robes I did the printing for

My costume!

Me with the contest grand prize winner, almost twinsies. This dude was freaking gigantic.

Dementor's kissing my co-builder/husband, he did a shitload of the work with me in the end. All the sewing, about half the patterns, most of the scales, and all the straps/attachment stuff in general was thanks to him.

Next up in McPantserton's life is Frostmourne, and uhh I def also started planning a wizard costume from Diablo because I hate free time. One major lesson I learned from this particular costume, though: I used a sweater for the chainmail and SERIOUSLY underestimated how hot I would be. I had ice packs in the back but I still got very, very dehydrated from wearing it for like 1.5-2 hours on Friday and ended up feeling really ill and crashing early. I'm planning on getting at least 4 more icepacks next time I wear it and am going to pay way closer attention to how much I'm sweating. Be safe, folks!
Awesome Arthas! On the topic of cooling, what do you recommend? I'm a little worried how hot I'll get under the Doom costume :ohdear:

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Since your back doesn't show you could replace the back with a mesh/breathable panel.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I wonder if I could do a mesh panel without wrecking the sweater, that's a super good idea. Next time I'm also going to add ice packs to the front under the belt, both legs, and on my head, and I'm going to use those blue gel ones that take longer to melt. I think my main problem, though, was I just did not aggressively drink enough water while in costume despite sweating an insane amount. I'm going to be sure to bring a water bottle with a straw so it's easy to get to, it's hard to drink in the helmet. And I'm going to take the helmet off for breaks if I need to. BUT! I also had an ingenious idea for when I'm wearing it casually and not competing!

This motherfuckin' t-shirt, which I would wear anyway. So totally going to happen.

And, honestly, I think it was the sweater that made Arthas so hard, I have worn tons of suits of armor before and never had anywhere near this level of trouble. Just pay attention to how you feel and maybe bring along some gatorade for later.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
There is a guy in my town who dresses like Nosferatu all summer/fall for the tourists, and when it is really hot he wears a vest filled with ice under his robes. I thought it was something he made but Amazon has a bunch of cooling vests for sale.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I forgot about those, a bunch of cosplayers I know use them. I thought about getting one but I don't think they'd work for the molded cups in my plastic breastplates. Can I get like, a cooling girdle or something?

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
Is there room under the armor to store a Camelbak pack, so you can just keep the hose/mouthpiece hidden in your helmet?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

McPantserton posted:

I forgot about those, a bunch of cosplayers I know use them. I thought about getting one but I don't think they'd work for the molded cups in my plastic breastplates. Can I get like, a cooling girdle or something?

You can actually just get a smaller unit that just wraps around your stomach, like this one. There are also versions that are designed for use with athletes or low-visibility so they are more discrete that might work better with your armor. Apparently this is a thing a lot of people with MS need so there is some variety beyond just a bag stuffed with ice.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
The waistband is basically what I'll be doing but with like, frozen gel packs and duct tape. The part I don't think would work with armor is the underbust, if my gear underneath is not super fitted or flexible right under my boobs the plastic armor will not sit right. But as I said, not really that worried, Arthas is the only costume I've ever even really needed coolant solutions for so I'm pretty ok just jamming more ice packs whever they'll stay.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
When I am working outside in advance I soak facecloths in water, wring them out, then freeze them in ziploc bags. Then I can have a nice frozen cloth to put on my face and neck.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

With the Rose Quartz dress, I was considering making an extra layer with boning for extra support and structure. Given that I am, well, not skinny, I was planning on using steel boning for this because of the way plastic boning deforms and becomes horribly uncomfortable with time. Is this a terrible idea? A muslin would definitely have to happen to make sure it fits right, probably use plastic boning with it just for sake of being sure it's positioned right and the right lengths. Also planning on using a flesh-tone applique for the star rather than cut it out, so outer layer->light padding to keep the boning from showing through->structure layer with boning->lining (?) is how I'm picturing it working.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

PANTS you look incredible!!! Thanks for the jolt of inspiration -- I know how I'm spending my evening.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Funhilde posted:

Deadite I would suggest calling the cool neon folks with some of your questions. They are really nice and into helping in my experience,

Blah, I thought I had my inverter issue worked out but then it shorted out right at the end of the test.

https://youtu.be/8fMwhhfOypk

The 9v inverters work if I hold down the on button, maybe I can just solder the toggle switch so that it's always on? I guess I will have to e-mail the cool neon guys.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Someone left this frog puppet at my work so I made it a cosplay.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Been looking all over online for a good changshan pattern so I can get a costume together.

Any tips? Everything I've seen is not right or patterns for women.

I didn't think it'd be so difficult to put together a Kamesennin costume! :ohdear:

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

gamera009 posted:

Been looking all over online for a good changshan pattern so I can get a costume together.

Any tips? Everything I've seen is not right or patterns for women.

I didn't think it'd be so difficult to put together a Kamesennin costume! :ohdear:

This pattern is for women but there are no darts. It could easily be made with less flare.

http://www.folkwear.com/114.html

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Does anyone have any recommendations for rigging or harnesses for under the outfit? I'm trying to figure out the best way to secure Doom's cape medallions and chain

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Magnets would work if you put a matching pair in the medallions.

Velcro would work if you didn't want to do magnets.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Magnets would work if you put a matching pair in the medallions.

:science: Use the Magnets! Be sure to mark the polarity before you install them so that they attract each other.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

I feel the main concern is weight. I found a gold chain from a purse that should work. It's metal, though, and I'd like something a little bit stronger to hold it in place than just the fabric of the tunic. One idea was pushing two screws upward out of the tunic, hanging the chain on that, then screwing the cape clasps on to them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Mount the magnets to the body armor under the tunic. Small powerful magnets will hold it in place and you won't have to worry about the fabric holding the weight.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Finished another prop gun tonight. Was the first one I did with any LEDs so I'm pretty happy with it.

Album

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Faltion posted:

Finished another prop gun tonight. Was the first one I did with any LEDs so I'm pretty happy with it.

Album

That's cool looking. Is it from anything or does it just look neat?

I'm looking at doing a Two-Face costume and had some ideas for how to do the messed up part of the face. I'm thinking of doing cotton and latex so it looks like burned skin, and I'm also hoping to do some false teeth under that so it looks like my jaw is exposed. But I don't want to try and do all this on my face directly, because I want to be able to mold and shape it where I can see it. Will the method work if I build it like a half mask on a foam or plastic head?

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

CzarChasm posted:

That's cool looking. Is it from anything or does it just look neat?

It's from Destiny

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I need some help with part of a costume. I have this staff:

Which is just a broom handle with a mask from an old costume mounted on it. To mount the mask I used a styrofoam sphere that I carved to resemble a face, painted black, and glued to the top of the broom handle. It worked for a while, but the more I used it the more the styrofoam would pull apart and eventually the sphere would rotate on top of the staff. Is there something else I could use to mount this mask that is more sturdy than styrofoam, but not as heavy as a block of wood? I was considering some kind of wire mount, does anyone have any experience with that?

Any ideas?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
You could feasibly make an armature out of chicken wire, similar to something that might be used for papier-mâché, depending on how heavy the mask is.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
I'm making a Raven (Teen Titans) costume for my daughter, and I'm wondering how to create her pointed hood. I've seen a similar design with the Assassin's Creed characters, but usually the hoods droop over the face of the cosplayer. I'd like to prevent this from happening. Would interfacing in the pointed part work? A stiff felt between the hood fabric and lining? Wire?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

foxatee posted:

I'm making a Raven (Teen Titans) costume for my daughter, and I'm wondering how to create her pointed hood. I've seen a similar design with the Assassin's Creed characters, but usually the hoods droop over the face of the cosplayer. I'd like to prevent this from happening. Would interfacing in the pointed part work? A stiff felt between the hood fabric and lining? Wire?

There is a stiff felt-like interfacing you could use or possibly add some boning to the inside of the hood and across the front.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Deadite posted:

I need some help with part of a costume. I have this staff:

Which is just a broom handle with a mask from an old costume mounted on it. To mount the mask I used a styrofoam sphere that I carved to resemble a face, painted black, and glued to the top of the broom handle. It worked for a while, but the more I used it the more the styrofoam would pull apart and eventually the sphere would rotate on top of the staff. Is there something else I could use to mount this mask that is more sturdy than styrofoam, but not as heavy as a block of wood? I was considering some kind of wire mount, does anyone have any experience with that?

Any ideas?

You could Fill the mask using expanding A+B Foam or spray insulation foam, kind of like in this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-_7EzNZ4e4

You can stick the broom handle inside the mask as part of the final filling, effectively gluing it into place. Or if the broom handle has a screw for attaching a broom head, you can screw that into the foam and maybe add a little foam around that to help it stick better.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

So is worbla still the go to choice for light, strong, easy to use material or is PETG a better substitute? I just discovered PETG as another option in the other cosplay thread

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

thespaceinvader posted:

Also worth noting that if you intend to spraypaint foam, you should test it first to make sure the accelerants won't dissolve the foam. Many foams are vulnerable that way, especially expanded polystyrene ones. The glue should seal it, but obviously (unless you like the acid-damaged look, it might be appropriate!) you need to make sure it's REALLY well-sealed.

If you brush on some kind of sealant somewhat lightly, you can get a really cool decaying wood texture from the paint eating around the brush strokes, as I discovered in round two of the prop painting adventures...

Also the holy grail of cheap fabric are remnant shops, places that sell whatever other stores and distributors can't for ridiculously low prices. They aren't always the easiest thing to find, so check out yelp or ask around at other fabric shops.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm going to a Starwars event next weekend which I have to dress up for in the typical Jedi/Obi Wan Kenobi Robe. I've got the hooded cloak but need to find the off-white robe to wear under it. I was thinking about going with an un-bleached judo gi but even the light weight ones are quite heavy and with it being summer I'm trying to keep the costume as light weight as possible. Can anyone recommend anything?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Commissar Canuck posted:

So is worbla still the go to choice for light, strong, easy to use material or is PETG a better substitute? I just discovered PETG as another option in the other cosplay thread

I think this comes down to personal preference. As far as I know, there isn't too much difference between the two products in terms of final results. There was some speculation that Transparent Worbla was just PET-G by another name, so...

Disclaimer: I am not Pants, and therefore not an expert.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I haven't used the worbla TranspArt but I have not seen anybody do anything with it that you can't do with PETG so far. So take my word with a grain of salt and all but I seriously think that the Worbla clear plastic is just super upcharged because of the brand name.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Good to know! What thickness should I be looking for if I decide to get some to experiment with?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Most of the vacuum forming I've done is 040 but it is pretty thin (vacuum forming stretches/thins the plastic too) so if it's a technique that thins the plastic like that I have backed it with a thicker material, which probably isn't ideal for clear. So I'd probably get super small sample sizes of 040/060/080 if you can and see how it handles. At 080 you'll probably start having a hard time cutting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunSickOkra
Jul 3, 2007
I have been working on a Tarecgosa costume based on this image and I'm looking for some creative input:

I've gotten pretty far along, but now most of what I have left to do is the stuff I don't know how to do. This is only my second costume, so I don't yet know all of the secrets (although McPanterson has been a great inspiration). My main obstacle is the shoulders. They are the WoW tier10 paladin shoulders, as seen here:

And I have no idea how to create a flame/molten effect without it looking completely dumb. They don't necessarily have to be billowing or moving or even actively lighting up, but I think it should be something more interesting than just paint.

This is what I've got so far, though it's still a work in progress:

Also, does anyone have a good solution to keeping thigh armor on? The leg strap is no match for gravity, regardless of how tight it's been pulled. I was thinking either velcro it to the leggings when I get them or attaching something like rubber grip-tape to the inside in hopes that it stays put.