Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Essentials was clearly intended to appeal to two (in some cases overlapping) groups: Casual players, and fans of older editions. Now, we can assume that it was simply a case of one man designing and publishing a whole new line of a major gaming license to suit his personal preferences. Or we can consider that maybe WotC had some marketing data showing 4E was not selling as well as expected among those two groups, and something had to be done about it. Considering that 5E is also clearly intended to appeal to those same two groups, and it was a major effort by WotC involving years of playtesting, polls, and data analysis, it seems pretty clear to me that Essentials was the first attempt to redress a market problem that WotC sees as vital and strategic. I don't think one man has the authority to make that kind of strategic decision. There's no need to turn these things into personal dramas when there are perfectly legitimate market explanations.

While, yeah, it's dangerous to say that everything is one person's fault, it's also pretty silly to insist that a lead designer with a loud voice on a small team couldn't be the driving force for a change. Everything we've seen so far indicates that this is his baby, his ideal of D&D, and any playtesting or polls have been vague at the very best. That doesn't speak of a tight strategic goal or of a big plan overall, though Hasbro's going to naturally keep the D&D IP forever because it sells other things a lot better than it does TTRPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Only changed a few minor details but I thought I'd repost because it been a while since I put up any BaD RPG info.
I am currently working on the classes which I will post next.

ALIGNMENT

what is alignment? Alignment determines how your character will react in certain situations. In role-playing terms it could be said a characters alignment is the way they choose to live their lives or the moral codes they choose to follow.
More generally speaking alignment it something you write at the top of your character sheet and forget about.

THE THREE ALIGNMENTS

Awful Do Good

Also know as a do'ger (Short for do good'er)
You are a shining paragon of light, a beacon of good in a world of evil.
Defender of the weak, smiter of the unjust you are not one to stand by and witness an injustice.
However that doesn't stop you slaughtering the non human races wholesale driving them from their homelands and looting gold from their still warm corpses. You raving hypocrite you.

Neutered

Able to see both sides of the coin you are drawn neither to good or evil.
Hey bud why not grow a pair and get off the fence!!

Psychotic Weevil

You’re evil. Plain and simple you like cruelty for the sake of cruelty. Killing things and looting the bodies comes naturally to you.
Loyalty to the self is your only creed. You trust no one and wouldn't even turn your back on your self.
Well done you'll fit right in.

THE RACES OF MERTH

The races are divided into three main divisions Human, Semi-Human and Non-Human

HUMANS

No race is more numerous or successful than that of the Humans.
Humans are the most adaptive, free thinking, inspired, ingenious, Parasites ever to blight the universe.

Nothing is more dangerous and destructive than a tribe of humans on the move and once they settle nature becomes little more than a resource to strip and an inconvenience to be cleared.

As Dangerous as Humans are to nature they pose an even greater threat to themselves and other races.
Their arrival in Merth is clouded in mystery all that is know is they came from the north and they came to kick rear end and kick rear end they did brutally attacking all the Non-Human races which had previously inhabited Merth in peace and tranquillity.

Millennia passed and now the humans of Merth have settled into a routine of warring among themselves building their filthy stinking cesspits of cities and asset stripping Merth.

The Slaughter of Non-Humans has now become a mere sideline or career (some would say hobby) for Social misfits who go by the name of adventurers. Paid in slaughter points by the Empire to keep the Monster populations at controllable levels.

These Adventurers forgo the safety and security of normal live for the glory fame and wealth that is associated with the world of Adventure.
This glory seeking of course spread to the Semi-Humans but Humans are still the most numerous of the Adventuring Guild.

Languages: Arrogant and lazy humans rarely learn languages (why bother everyone speaks common right). If they encounter someone who doesn't speak common then they just speak slower and louder believing that will do the trick.

"I SAID HOW MUCH IS THE AXE." Whilst mumbling asides to their human companions. "Blummin furriners, should learn common if they want our money...wha...I WAS JUST SAYING HOW LOVELY YOUR COUNTRY IS."

Human Characters have no attribute modifiers, other than –1d6 Will

They get either Swords and Shields at half price of Exotic weapons at Half-price.

– 1d6 Will Roll not to try and take charge of any situation –1d6 Will roll not to start a fight in any situation

SEMI-HUMANS

There are a number of non Human races that bear such a resemblance to humans that it proved impossible to slaughter them and loot their homelands. Thus alliances were formed with the Semi-Human races of Dwarves, Elves and Boggins.
The slightly less tolerated Half -Irks are not an actual race in themselves, but rather more of an embarrassing side-effect of adventure gone awry.

DWARVES

Dwarves are a small, stocky and sturdy, clannish race. They make their homes in great mountains halls, carved into the very mountains by their revered ancestors. Their renown for engineering and metal-craft is second only to their renown for meanness. Almost without exception Dwarves sport huge ginger beards (and that includes the lady Dwarves). When not dressed head to foot in mail (which is most of the time) have been know to have a weakness for wearing tartan miniskirts in private (though it is never wise to bring this fact up in conversation).

Dwarves seem to prefer axes and hammers, primarily because they derive a great deal of satisfaction from franticly bashing larger races over the head, which is not as satisfying with a sword or spear.

They are also said to love gold and it's acquisition more than the other races (although some say this is nasty rumour put about by elves).

One thing that nobody can deny dwarves love and that is ale. When not Adventuring dwarves can be found staggering around human cities, accosting citizens with lewd limericks, or cornering them and boring them on the subject of how great their homeland is. Which has led human philosophers to debate the subject; 'Dwarves if their homeland is so good why don't they just sod of back to where they came from?'

Dwarves hate Irks and will attack them on site (who doesn't though!) they also have issues with Elves.

Languages: Dwarves have their own language, but for unknown reasons prefer to speak common with a dialect, or accent .

"Hoots man ah dinae ken wot ye're on aboot."

Dwarf Character adjustments.
+ 1d6 Str
+ 1d6 Con
- 1d6 Dex
- 1d6 Will

Dwarves can get chainmail, axes, and warhammers at a 50% discount,

They must make Will Saves –1d6 not to attack Irks on sight and Will saves –1d6 not to drink ale on sight.

ELVES

Tall, graceful, elegant and noble, Elves also known as the fair folk are the paragons of light. They love the woods and forests from which they come, and would gladly lay down their lives to protect their sacred glades.

Of course this is when they are not wading knee deep in Non-Human blood and filling their backpacks with gold.
Being naturally nimble (or as one Dwarf king put it 'light on their Loafers') Elves are very natural athletes and archers of renown.

They have been known to spontaneously burst in song, or recite poetry, which tends to isolate them socially.

Languages: Although they speak common fluently, Elves awkwardly insist on speaking one of their many convoluted 'high' languages. When they do speak common it is with strange inflections.

"Alas wither are the noble summers of yesteryear ah gentle forest winter is encumberent upon thee."

Elf character adjustments.
- 1d6 Str
- 1d6 Con
+ 1d6 Dex
+ 1d6 IQ
+ 1d6 Chr
- 1d6 Will

They can get a good supply of both, bows and arrows and also spears at 50% discount.

-1d6 Will roll not to hug trees. -1d6 Will role not to burst into song, or loud poetry, when battle is imminent.

DROW
Contrary to common misconception, Drow are not in fact a separate race, they are in fact normal Elves who band together because they have been rejected from eleven society. They always dress in black and falsely believe themselves to be bad.

Languages: common with strange secret words.

“Hey n00b you better believe I'm uberl33t, you just try messin with me, I'll frickin take you out, STFU loser n00b.”

Drow can get Black leather armour, poison and throwing knives at half price.

-1d6 Will roll to run from a fair fight. -1d6 Will roll to attack from behind if given the chance.

BOGGINS

Smaller and slightly more portly than Dwarves, these fair faced, cheerful and simple living folk are friendly and gregarious.

Which is all just a front, as anyone who has ever met them can confirm. They are in fact the biggest bunch of inveterate thieves to ever walk the planet. The smiles and pleasantries, are all just a ploy to put people at ease, before they relieve them of their belongings.

The only exception to this is, whilst adventuring after generations of 'learning the hard way', Boggins have found it's not cost effective to steal from their fellow adventurers.

The Boggins also know as Bogginsses but more commonly know as 'Those thieving little *********!!!!!' live in Shires (the largest being Leicestershire). Which are scattered with Boggin Holes (sometimes referred to as Bogholes) handy places to hide their ill-gotten gains.

The only thing they are more renowned for than stealing is eating. The average Boggin eats 11 square meals a day and snack in between.

Boggins go barefoot, having no need for shoes, due to their tough leathery soles. It is a compliment for one Boggin to say of another 'I reckon he would even steal shoes' .

Languages: Boggins speak Boggit, which is actually a dialect of common, which can sometimes be understood.

"'ere yung 'un where 'e geddin to with that thar pie'.

Boggin Character adjustments.
– 1d6 Str
+ 1d6 Con
+ 1d6 Dex
+ 2d6 Lk
- 1d6 Will

Boggins can get Rogues gear, backpacks and provisions at half price.

–1d6 Will roll not to steal (anything and everything). –1d6 Will roll not to eat any food they see (irrespective of its location and condition).

HALF-IRKS

Half-Irks though rare in society at large, are common enough in adventuring circles.

Some say that this attraction to adventure is a result of their origins, (their origins being, over amorous human adventurers, and poor unfortunate Irks, caught out on their own).

Nominally accepted in human society, they are however considered an aberration by wild Irks, who will try and kill them on sight.

This is rather unfortunate as Half-Irks are uncontrollably drawn to their pure blood cousins, and will often seek to befriend them.

Like the Irks, Half-Irks are great natural warriors, however the traumatic background of their origins and the outright and partial rejection of their two parent races, makes them intuitive members of the priesthood.

Not particularly renowned for intelligence, there are few accomplished Half-Irk mages.

Languages: All Half-Irks learn Irk (from humans) as part of their obsession with their ancestry, they also speak a slow guttural form of common spoken in a deep thick accent .

" I will wuv him and hug him and call him George"

Half-Irk character adjustments.
+ 2d6 Str
+ 2d6 Con
- 1d6 Dex
- 2d6 IQ
+ 1d6 Lk
- 1d6 Will
- 2d6 Chr

Half-Irks can buy helmets, and blunt weapons at half price.

–1d6 Will roll to not head-butt strangers –1d6 Will to not try and befriend Irks.

NON-HUMANS

The Non Humans more commonly know as Monsters, are considered by the Humans and Semi-Humans as fair game for slaughter. These so called Monsters are generally objectified by adventurers, as little more than their value in Slaughter Points (SP). Numerous and Diverse there are many different races of non human, each with their own unique physiology, socio-economic, cultural nuances and histories as diverse and intricate as any human or Semi-Human societies.

Of Course all any adventure ever wants to know about Non-Humans is...

...WHAT DO I GET FOR KILLING IT.

Any comments and crits welcome.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Oh god, it's Bored of the Rings the RPG.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Its like someone built an RPG out of that screencap webcomic DM from the Peter Jackson movies, but decided that the webcomic didn't have enough in-jokes and dated references. :psyduck:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

spectralent posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that 4e's most ardent supporters have never played it or play games where a level 30 monster was smote by a level 2 Paladin's Hadouken while the wizard was on cooldown and then everyone asked the monster for the gear they wanted.

I found a word replace grog.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Nongrog:

In all honesty 5e is most likely going to be here for awhile because, from the looks of it, WotC/Hasbro has dropped a lot of expectations and instead are mostly putting it in semi-mothball form. 5e will be here awhile because the D&D team doesn't have the money to crew to make a new edition. It's going to be a whole lot of vague articles once a month, followed by some other company making a D&D book. The goal is to keep the IP alive, and little else, because the value isn't in the ttg, it's in the other poo poo they're rolling out.

Of course, this is on the assumption that all the non-ttg poo poo they're making sells. If D&D can't prove itself as a brand, if the movie flops and the video games don't sell well enough, 5e probably won't make it over four years - and neither will D&D.

Either way, do not bet on a 6th edition.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

starkebn fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 10, 2015

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Terrible Opinions posted:

I found a word replace grog.

:doh:

I meant detractors.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Darwinism posted:

While, yeah, it's dangerous to say that everything is one person's fault, it's also pretty silly to insist that a lead designer with a loud voice on a small team couldn't be the driving force for a change. Everything we've seen so far indicates that this is his baby, his ideal of D&D, and any playtesting or polls have been vague at the very best. That doesn't speak of a tight strategic goal or of a big plan overall, though Hasbro's going to naturally keep the D&D IP forever because it sells other things a lot better than it does TTRPGs.

In any business even half the size of D&D, designers do not do the market research and feature planning. Basically, someone with business and market experience figures out why anyone would buy this thing and who they are. Then they try to figure out what those people want - cost, ease of use, entry point, format, major features, etc. Once that's decided, they bring it to the designers to implement according to those requirements. It could not have been easy to shake loose the money for a new Essentials line - the books, boxed set, POGs, artwork, promotion. That's a schwack of money that was not originally budgeted for in the 4E planning. Someone with the authority to green-light the allocation of a tremendous amount of resources on short notice had to have been onboard, and needed a good reason why D&D had to be essentially relaunched with a different market and design approach. It beggars belief that WotC would leave the major decisions for introducing a new line of products up to one employee and his personal whims.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

In any business even half the size of D&D, designers do not do the market research and feature planning. Basically, someone with business and market experience figures out why anyone would buy this thing and who they are. Then they try to figure out what those people want - cost, ease of use, entry point, format, major features, etc. Once that's decided, they bring it to the designers to implement according to those requirements. It could not have been easy to shake loose the money for a new Essentials line - the books, boxed set, POGs, artwork, promotion. That's a schwack of money that was not originally budgeted for in the 4E planning. Someone with the authority to green-light the allocation of a tremendous amount of resources on short notice had to have been onboard, and needed a good reason why D&D had to be essentially relaunched with a different market and design approach. It beggars belief that WotC would leave the major decisions for introducing a new line of products up to one employee and his personal whims.

So, what you're saying is that since someone else had to okay the budget, Mearls is off the hook for lovely design? Yeah, he did not oversee the literal entire process, but he's still the dude that made the game - whether or not someone else did research (which has never actually been shown) or okayed the budget, and he's the dude that sold his version of the game as the one that should exist.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Or maybe he's someone who understand he can't possibly do his job if he has to tip-toe around the extreme sensitivities of the most passionate edition warriors. If he confined himself only to comments that couldn't possibly offend anyone on any side(s) of the edition wars, he wouldn't be able to say anything. He would be paralyzed.

Maybe people need to take a breath and consider that Mearls is just a guy working for WotC doing a very difficult job, whether they like the direction of 5E or not. Fans could grow a thicker skins, instead of expecting the designers of a game to excise their comments of all possible controversy. There's no reason to take any of this stuff personally.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Halloween Jack posted:

Is there any RPG system that actually was created this way? I figured most them follow the Gygax principle, i.e. just creating something they would want to play themselves and then publishing it, without much research whether or not there is a market for it.

e X fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 11, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So why are we defending Mike "I showed Zak S all your complaints and he says they're all bullshit" Mearls again?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Halloween Jack posted:

Or maybe he's someone who understand he can't possibly do his job if he has to tip-toe around the extreme sensitivities of the most passionate edition warriors.

Did you miss the part where Mearls kowtowed to the extreme sensitivities of the most passionate edition warriors? (Hint: It was all of it.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The guy is supposed to be designing a new game, not combing every RPG forum and making a list of verboten terms that might possibly upset that fraction of the fanbase who have lost all sense of perspective about their hobby. What term do you want him to use for play modes where the characters are presumed to be more powerful than in others? What tiny friction of the D&D player base considers 'superheroes' an insulting and derogatory term? A hundred people? Maybe two hundred? Edition warriors are not the fanbase; they're a very small but very vocal sub-set of the fanbase.

And you do realize that a lot of his comments come from live forums and Q&A sessions where he's just, you know, talking. Do you want him to always read from a script that has been approved by a team of PR handlers, as though he were the president of the U.S. discussing Iran's nuclear program? Has D&D really come to this?

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Halloween Jack posted:

The guy is supposed to be designing a new game, not combing every RPG forum and making a list of verboten terms that might possibly upset that fraction of the fanbase who have lost all sense of perspective about their hobby.

That's a good point. Maybe if he'd spent his time trying to connect to the 50k+ DDI subscribers and the even larger amount of players that never used DDI instead of trying to get back an audience that literally lit their 4E books on fire and thought it was cool, we'd actually have an cool new game to play today.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Halloween Jack posted:

The guy is supposed to be designing a new game, not combing every RPG forum and making a list of verboten terms that might possibly upset that fraction of the fanbase who have lost all sense of perspective about their hobby. What term do you want him to use for play modes where the characters are presumed to be more powerful than in others? What tiny friction of the D&D player base considers 'superheroes' an insulting and derogatory term? A hundred people? Maybe two hundred? Edition warriors are not the fanbase; they're a very small but very vocal sub-set of the fanbase.

And you do realize that a lot of his comments come from live forums and Q&A sessions where he's just, you know, talking. Do you want him to always read from a script that has been approved by a team of PR handlers, as though he were the president of the U.S. discussing Iran's nuclear program? Has D&D really come to this?

I'd more prefer he didn't associate himself actively and cheerfully with people that harassed one of my friends out of the hobby entirely, to the point of showing the complaints of those who were harassed to their harasser and taking his word that all of it was bullshit.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mearls is a legitimate piece of poo poo who's defended some of the most toxic people and elements in this hobby and went above and beyond to shield them even as they were harassing people - including friends of several people here - and has complained that "the so called 'progressives' keep complaining about me!' and a defense on why all his friends are lovely.

The fact that he burned 4e to the ground so he could make his dream version of D&D is, like, the least of his sins.

But is also still absolutely a thing that occurred.

This is the same poo poo that went down in the lead up to 5e. "No guys, there's a plan here." "Marketing would never let them get away with this!" "WotC is too smart to just bow down like this."

Guess what, Hasbro, WotC, "marketing," none of them give a poo poo about 5e the ttg. It's only purpose is to stay vaguely on life support so they can try to use the brand for video games and a movie. There's no greater plan, no greater idea, no marketing mastermind orchestrating this all with poor ol' Mearls being forced to make a lovely game.

So gently caress off.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Halloween Jack posted:

The guy is supposed to be designing a new game, not combing every RPG forum and making a list of verboten terms that might possibly upset that fraction of the fanbase who have lost all sense of perspective about their hobby.

He didn't have to. The most psychotic elements of the fanbase beat a path to his door and made their demands known the moment he indicated that he was receptive.

Were you not paying attention at all during the development process?

e: I think somehow you're coming at this from a bizarre anti-universe where Next wasn't made to placate the crybabies.

moths fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 11, 2015

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

Hasn't like, a lot of the 5e content been cribbed from 3.5 anyway? I could have sworn that was a theme going on

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Grimpond posted:

Hasn't like, a lot of the 5e content been cribbed from 3.5 anyway? I could have sworn that was a theme going on
They cleaned it up for the final version, but the open playtest docs did outright have text copied from 3.5. On the other hand 5e has a bit more of 4e in it than you'd think, albeit usually obfuscated or just plain not done as well, in order to hold off the worst of the rabidly anti-4e types.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yes, all of the madness mechanics were cribbed wholesale from one of the 3.5 books.

Guilty Spork posted:

On the other hand 5e has a bit more of 4e in it than you'd think, albeit usually obfuscated or just plain not done as well, in order to hold off the worst of the rabidly anti-4e types.

The problem here is a "Close but no cigar" thing, it's just similar enough to 4e in some ways to throw off people coming over from 4e when it's different.

Like how you can't spend healing dice except during a short rest, similar to surges. Except short rests are an hour long now so no, gently caress you go beg at the feet of the cleric for your short term healing needs.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 11, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grimpond posted:

Yes. Entire swaths of the DMG are just c/p'd right from previous editions, with maybe a change in tense.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

IT BEGINS posted:

That's a good point. Maybe if he'd spent his time trying to connect to the 50k+ DDI subscribers and the even larger amount of players that never used DDI instead of trying to get back an audience that literally lit their 4E books on fire and thought it was cool, we'd actually have an cool new game to play today.
Any new edition is going to tick off some people who enjoy an edition with a different focus. That's a given. It's a matter of deciding which audience you're catering your design to. But some audiences and modes of play may be more popular in practice than theory-focused RPG forums would suggest. I think that's the point Mearls is trying to make.

The problem is, there's nothing approaching consensus about which mechanics in various editions need fixing and which mechanics are essential parts of the game. Feats are an interesting one, in that old-school TSR players dislike them, as do 4E players, but many 3.X players consider them essential.

Re-designing the whole thing from the ground up with systematic rigour simply isn't going to happen. Are there a lot of sacred cows I wish weren't kept in D&D Next? Yep. I think they'd address the confusion about perception, searching, Wisdom checks and Intelligence checks if they simply added another ability of Perception, and changed Wisdom to Willpower. Done. But folks would scream that it's no longer D&D with a seventh ability. I think a lot of friction over the meaning of HP would be smoothed over if they simply renamed it Vitality. But again, a simple change of nomenclature would alienate a lot of players.

I don't envy the Next team their job. They're trying to make a lot of different constituencies happy.

moths posted:

He didn't have to. The most psychotic elements of the fanbase beat a path to his door and made their demands known the moment he indicated that he was receptive.

Were you not paying attention at all during the development process?
Go back further and you'll find WotC promoting 3E by making satirical anti-AD&D comments about playing without minis and DMs having to make up stuff on the fly. They're a business. They promote the newest thing by implying that the next-to-newest thing just isn't good enough anymore. No need to take it personally.

quote:

e: I think somehow you're coming at this from a bizarre anti-universe where Next wasn't made to placate the crybabies.
I doubt it, given how broad a net WotC is casting with Next. They probably expect more along the lines of 50 per cent uptake from 4E players, 40 per cent from 3E players, 30 per cent from TSR/OSR D&D players, and a nice uptick in new RPGers.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Mearls is a legitimate piece of poo poo who's defended some of the most toxic people and elements in this hobby and went above and beyond to shield them even as they were harassing people - including friends of several people here - and has complained that "the so called 'progressives' keep complaining about me!' and a defense on why all his friends are lovely.

The fact that he burned 4e to the ground so he could make his dream version of D&D is, like, the least of his sins.

But is also still absolutely a thing that occurred.
Let's look at the most commercially successful RPGs of the last 20 years:

D&D 2E
D&D 3E
Pathfinder
D&D 4E
World of Darkness
Call of Cthulhu
RIFTS
World of Darkness
Savage Worlds

How many are examples of mechanically balanced, system-first designs?

Or to put it another way, how many of the critically acclaimed independent RPGs that are lauded around here as paragons of modern RPG design have ended up being as commercially successful as the games in the list above? So please, show me the correlation between sublime mechanical design and commercial success.

Mors Rattus posted:

I'd more prefer he didn't associate himself actively and cheerfully with people that harassed one of my friends out of the hobby entirely, to the point of showing the complaints of those who were harassed to their harasser and taking his word that all of it was bullshit.
Not sure why people are fixating on Mearls. WotC made a strategic decision to design a new edition of D&D that would be more accessible to new players than recent iterations, bring back lapsed players, and look familiar to those lapsed players. And they assigned a team to work on it. Next isn't an auteur indie game; whatever it ends up being will be the product of a development team following principles set down at a corporate level. Blaming Mearls because WotC is designing a game you don't like is misguided. But people blame Bill Gates for the policies of a multi-billion dollar corporation, so I suppose there's a tendency to personify these things.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Blaming Mearls because WotC is designing a game you don't like is misguided. But people blame Bill Gates for the policies of a multi-billion dollar corporation, so I suppose there's a tendency to personify these things.

Blaming the CEO (personally) of a multi-billion dollar company because you think one of their products is bad is pretty dumb, yeah.

The lead designer of the specific product you didn't like seems like the exact right person to blame.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Halloween Jack posted:

Not sure why people are fixating on Mearls. WotC made a strategic decision to design a new edition of D&D that would be more accessible to new players than recent iterations, bring back lapsed players, and look familiar to those lapsed players. And they assigned a team to work on it. Next isn't an auteur indie game; whatever it ends up being will be the product of a development team following principles set down at a corporate level. Blaming Mearls because WotC is designing a game you don't like is misguided. But people blame Bill Gates for the policies of a multi-billion dollar corporation, so I suppose there's a tendency to personify these things.

Pretty sure Mors Rattus is blaming Mearls for personally receiving plenty of complaints about Zak S being a hideous transphobe who gleefully runs people out of the hobby, letting Zak S judge the complaints instead of attempting objectivity, and then saying "yeah, no, my buddy says he can't possibly be a bad person, so screw y'all who say he is!" I agree with you that I think people can catastrophize about the motives behind 5E, but in this case, it actually was Mearls personally being a crap, not WotC or Hasbro.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
(Y'all realize that he is just responding entirely in Grog-quotes, right? Like that last bit is from an RPG.net post from 2 years ago)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That makes a lot more sense.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Then poor taste, quote your poo poo, if I can you can.

EDIT: also I tried googling one of the earlier posts when this whol thing started and nothing came up so

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Unsourced quotes are the true spirit of grogs.txt

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

oh nooo

I failed my trap search and done got Black Leaf'd

guess now I gotta hang myself

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Antivehicular posted:

oh nooo

I failed my trap search and done got Black Leaf'd

guess now I gotta hang myself
I think you'd better let ELFSTAR take control.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Klaus88 posted:

Its like someone built an RPG out of that screencap webcomic DM from the Peter Jackson movies, but decided that the webcomic didn't have enough in-jokes and dated references. :psyduck:

Well, there's a good reason it looks so dated––it's from 2003.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Halloween Jack posted:

Some say that this attraction to adventure is a result of their origins, (their origins being, over amorous human adventurers, and poor unfortunate Irks, caught out on their own).

What in the actual gently caress. I missed this on my first go over. Is this implying what I think it is implying? Jesus loving Christ grogs love rape way too drat much.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

unseenlibrarian posted:

(Y'all realize that he is just responding entirely in Grog-quotes, right? Like that last bit is from an RPG.net post from 2 years ago)
I just assumed everyone would spot it as a grogquote but when it got rolling, I couldn't help myself. This guy is the most tedious person alive and I wanted to share him with you. He's been doing this "The Company knows what they're doing, they're appealing to a silent majority that agrees with all my opinions, and anyone who disagrees is an irrelevant Internet nerd" for years.

Why do people do this, anyway? I've seen people go to bat for GW and Palladium's stupid decisions in the same way. Does it make them feel like some kind of sage industry insider? Isn't it the opposite of video game fandom, where casuals ain't poo poo and even the designers are always suspect?

ProfessorCirno posted:

Then poor taste, quote your poo poo, if I can you can.

EDIT: also I tried googling one of the earlier posts when this whol thing started and nothing came up so
Cirno, baby, it's me. Call Mearls a good game designer? I would never do that.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Because as a TRUE FAN they own part of product, so the company would never gently caress it up because that would reflect on their taste. So company always does what the REAL FANS want, which is whatever they do.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

It's funny and depressing at the same time. Is there some specific German word for this?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

spectralent posted:

:doh:

I meant detractors.

No I was being an rear end in a top hat and changed your text. I just found it really funny that by replacing one word you get something that sounds like very genuine anti-4th ed grog.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Klaus88 posted:

What in the actual gently caress. I missed this on my first go over. Is this implying what I think it is implying? Jesus loving Christ grogs love rape way too drat much.

I THINK it's a joke reversing the normal implications of half-orcs, which is already rapey to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I was reading all that and thinking "What happened to Halloween Jack? He was cool."

You got me, bud.

• Locked thread