Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

gangnam reference posted:

That is all we are talking about here with 'elo hell', the last 500 or so MMR differential between what a player could be playing 50% at, but is actually not at yet nor getting close any time soon assuming a normal player's play schedule.

...it is far too uncertain. It is not really indicative of proper skill levels. There is far too much mobility of players across the various 'skill brackets'. I've had accounts move as much as 600 points in a day, in both directions in a week's time. People would consider that a considerably different skill tier, yet, it is achievable in two weekend marathon sessions. Is it indicative of skill being at either extreme? Obviously no.

... It is completely uncertain, +/- 1000 MMR. I really think it should be doing a much better job than than, inbetween 1-200, and see no reason why it couldn't be.

The 95% confidence margin around a players MMR is, on average, about 750 MMR rating points. The minimum (for the most active players) is about 370 MMR points. So you are right there is a huge error.

As for "I see no reason why it couldn't be doing a much better job": you only get so much games every day, from which you have to derive the individual skills for 10 people from 1 game result. On top of that, player's individual skill varies with a standard deviation of about 70 MMR per day. There just isn't enough information. You can get marginal improvements but the fundamental problem stays the same.

The alternative is to try to pick extra information out of the game but it's a can of worms due to no longer aligning the rating with the actual goal of the game, so it becomes game-able in itself.

Now, if you forget about the penis length aspect of MMR and focus on matchmaking quality, the system is *good enough* to find closely matched games. The errors partially even out because there's 5 players on each team (yay central limit theorem) and from the above numbers (750 MMR average error) the average game is, in the end, going to have a better than 33% vs 66% winning probability imbalance.

And why are we having rating discussions again in the Pro Dota2 thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Skuto posted:

The 95% confidence margin around a players MMR is, on average, about 750 MMR rating points. The minimum (for the most active players) is about 370 MMR points. So you are right there is a huge error.

As for "I see no reason why it couldn't be doing a much better job": you only get so much games every day, from which you have to derive the individual skills for 10 people from 1 game result. On top of that, player's individual skill varies with a standard deviation of about 70 MMR per day. There just isn't enough information. You can get marginal improvements but the fundamental problem stays the same.

The alternative is to try to pick extra information out of the game but it's a can of worms due to no longer aligning the rating with the actual goal of the game, so it becomes game-able in itself.

Now, if you forget about the penis length aspect of MMR and focus on matchmaking quality, the system is *good enough* to find closely matched games. The errors partially even out because there's 5 players on each team (yay central limit theorem) and from the above numbers (750 MMR average error) the average game is, in the end, going to have a better than 33% vs 66% winning probability imbalance.

Don't respond to the copy pasta of jpj's greatest hits

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

a better question: why are we having a jpj discussion in the pro dota thread

answer: offseason

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
It's only a few months until Fall, right?

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Vasler posted:

Does he just really really hate ppd or something? What's up with ixMike? I always thought he was a chill guy or is this some sort of meta thing where he pretends to be a dick for some reason?

ppd was trolling him first, the banter is real

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
We can discuss whether we're being trolled or not: https://twitter.com/kky_KuroKy/status/630959278644289536

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

kky with the navi shirt background, EGM also calling out s4, this is great. I wish I could troll like the pros

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Skuto posted:

ur replyiong to a copy paste of some guy who picked bloodseeker >400 times in one patch lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Oh no, his dickishness is quite authentic and intentional.

He also does things that are stupid or random, and he looks like a 1980s MIT nerd.

Nah he looks like everyone's Italian uncle.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Skuto posted:

The better question is why JPJ is this neverending goldmine of hilariously lovely posts. I mean even his probation warnings are amazing

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I meantioned a few weeks ago about how ridiculous Chinese team scrims are for TI, with cell phones being posessed for weeks.

Apparently Dota ruined Xiao8's marriage. :smith:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

I meantioned a few weeks ago about how ridiculous Chinese team scrims are for TI, with cell phones being posessed for weeks.

Apparently Dota ruined Xiao8's marriage. :smith:

If DOTA was going to be a problem for his marriage I think it was probably doomed from the start given that he was either expected to give up his career/passion or they just weren't prepared to deal with it at all.

Sucks though xiao8 seems like a nice guy

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008
I don't understand how you can enter marriage with someone and not be prepared to sacrifice for them. Maybe he was a lovely husband already and this just made the decision easy but seriously now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Wezlar posted:

If DOTA was going to be a problem for his marriage I think it was probably doomed from the start given that he was either expected to give up his career/passion or they just weren't prepared to deal with it at all.

RiskyChris posted:

I don't understand how you can enter marriage with someone and not be prepared to sacrifice for them. Maybe he was a lovely husband already and this just made the decision easy but seriously now.

Well, it wasn't like she didn't know what he does. They met on a TV game show, got married after TI4 when he planned to retire, then he came back to be on Big God (where Old Pros Not Practicing was the entire point) and she was the TA cosplayer at DAC. But during this LGD run between Chinese New Year and now he talks to her just a few times a month.

He blames himself for being selfish in pursuing the dream and neglecting their relationship.

Sucks, though. Women have sort of a weird status symbol placement in that culture due to population control and the sheer number of parents who would rather have an abortion than give birth to a girl that won't be making a high income and taking care of those parents in their old age. But all his TI winnings put him into that class of people who shouldn't have too many problems finding a date; I remember at least one Chinese millionaire actually took out roadside billboards promoting himself as single and boasting of his own wealth.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 11, 2015

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

RiskyChris posted:

Obviously a lot of people make sacrifices for their marriages but if someone is expected to sacrifice basically the only thing they've ever done which is also their career I don't think it's hard to see why that would lead to problems.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well I don't know any details about why they got divorced but I do have these set of generalizations that I can apply to almost any situation that surely explains the cause.

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008

Wezlar posted:

Obviously a lot of people make sacrifices for their marriages but if someone is expected to sacrifice basically the only thing they've ever done which is also their career I don't think it's hard to see why that would lead to problems.

I meant sacrifice in terms of the relationship, not your life. As in, I would expect her to sacrifice some intimacy with him so he can pursue his dream (which at this point isn't a dream but reality). Seems like that should strengthen a relationship to me.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Did you know the Chinese culture reveres the elderly? The problem obviously is that xiao8 did not marry an elderly woman.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Goetta posted:

Well I don't know any details about why they got divorced but I do have these set of generalizations that I can apply to almost any situation that surely explains the cause.

is this your first time on these forums or something?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/3gkwxw/c9_manager_conradquantumpope_confirms_that_secret/

c9 manager saying that c9 and secret will both have roster changes. surprising no one, i know, but nice to have "confirmation"

If there's an ee/rtz team with rtz playing mid and envy safelane i will root for it SO HARD til it collapses under the weight of 1000 throws

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Craptacular! posted:

Well, it wasn't like she didn't know what he does. They met on a TV game show, got married after TI4 when he planned to retire, then he came back to be on Big God (where Old Pros Not Practicing was the entire point) and she was the TA cosplayer at DAC. But during this LGD run between Chinese New Year and now he talks to her just a few times a month.

He blames himself for being selfish in pursuing the dream and neglecting their relationship.

Sucks, though. Women have sort of a weird status symbol placement in that culture due to population control and the sheer number of parents who would rather have an abortion than give birth to a girl that won't be making a high income and taking care of those parents in their old age. But all his TI winnings put him into that class of people who shouldn't have too many problems finding a date; I remember at least one Chinese millionaire actually took out roadside billboards promoting himself as single and boasting of his own wealth.

Tell me more about the culture of the Chinese, creepy internet guy.

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008
If there's anyone who can carry EE's dumb rear end it's artour. EE is a tier 1 carry at his best but his (team's) decision making is terrible.

0staf
Jun 11, 2006

FFE or die trying

TheQat posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/3gkwxw/c9_manager_conradquantumpope_confirms_that_secret/

c9 manager saying that c9 and secret will both have roster changes. surprising no one, i know, but nice to have "confirmation"

If there's an ee/rtz team with rtz playing mid and envy safelane i will root for it SO HARD til it collapses under the weight of 1000 throws

that team would be the greatest

kaipi :negative:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

did you know they eat dog???

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
As hilariously awful as it would surely end up, I wouldn't mind one bit seeing a return of that MLG Columbus team (minus Aui, obviously). They played some seriously fun dota.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

Way to be like 10 years behind dawg china's all about having daughters now.

vv Isn't ember spirit like way more representative of tibetans though. Unless you mean like the lina arcana.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 11, 2015

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Clearly the Chinese teams need a Tibetan support Lina to inflame their chances

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

it is garbage despite being older than any other.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Well I'm glad the C9 members are doing this of their own will rather than "Hey man sorry you're kicked". At least they learned from the whole Aui thing?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Khorne posted:

Anyone who brings their A game and is driven to be the best player they can be is going to get frustrated in NEL and dota pubs. And unfortunately, those are the best ways to practice individual skill. The biggest thing I see on his stream is he makes a correct play and his teammate does something braindead like walk away or walk around not even doing damage despite being in range. Of course that is frustrating to him. It would be frustrating to anyone. And to compound the frustration people will often poo poo talk him despite it being their play or another teammate's play that's preventing him from playing his game to begin with.

Everyone makes mistakes and screws up a follow up, but that's not frustrating. It's frustrating when someone is playing on such a braindead level that you question whether a bot would have played more effectively at that very moment than they were. Or if you could play your hero and theirs at twice the effectiveness that they are playing theirs. That is frustrating.

By all accounts he's not actually that bad to be on a team with. He takes responsibility for his gently caress ups and wants nothing more than to just get better. Because it's a team game it's very easy for other people to sabotage success outside of competitive scenarios, and because of EG's practice schedule most of the year he really does try to practice in pub games/NEL/whatever for individual skill. Jordan rubbed people the wrong way too, but it's not because he's a rager/big rear end in a top hat. It's because he wanted to win, and he dedicated himself to that completely and had no tolerance for people who didn't. If you don't want to constantly improve and win then sure that guy will seem like an rear end in a top hat, but you shouldn't be playing with him because you have very different goals when it comes to investing time into the game.

Sumail wouldn't be on EG if he was egoing ppd and fighting over what he should be doing constantly. I am sure there are times he gets ppd to try things in practice, and there are times he wants to do something, but at the end of the day you need to be able to agree to, listen to, and execute a unified plan in actual tournament games in any team game. And if you still disagree you eventually leave the team for greener pastures like Arteezy.

Aways back and although i agree with the general sentiment Jordan's like a giant rear end in a top hat. He's like the Michael Jordan of assholes. There's tons of stories of him being an rear end/going out of his way to embarrass people just because.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

alansmithee posted:

Aways back and although i agree with the general sentiment Jordan's like a giant rear end in a top hat. He's like the Michael Jordan of assholes. There's tons of stories of him being an rear end/going out of his way to embarrass people just because.

I forgot to mention that he defamed his high school coach in order to tell himself a lie that would give him more motivation (he claimed he was cut from the jv squad or whatever but he wasn't). He even included it in his Hall of Fame speech, iirc.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
why can't more dota players be controversy free, hard working, rock solid and handsome sportsmen like David Beckham

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.myinstants.com/instant/its-a-disaster-6mil-echoslam/

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
...Is EE Zinedine Zidane?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Wow they made a website just to chronicle this thread?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

HGH posted:

...Is EE Zinedine Zidane?

No hes Messi because they're both autists who choke in the biggest tournament

0staf
Jun 11, 2006

FFE or die trying
also they are often thought of as the best in the world and by some people the best player of all time

0staf
Jun 11, 2006

FFE or die trying

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone who thinks its EE's team decision making and not his personal decision making that loses c9 games is really caught up in the fanboyism. It's hard to watch n0tail being brought down so hard he looks awful on c9 trying to follow dumb EE around when he is actually an amazing player.

If EE doesn't switch to support no team is going to carry him. He just makes stupid mistakes lategame every clutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How can one man have so many waifus

• Locked thread