Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The usage conversation made me look up what KC's stadiums are doing. Kauffman pretty much just has the Royals, Arrowhead has the American Royal BBQ contest and Mizzou/BYU through the end of the year aside from whatever Chiefs games.

The Sprint Center which doesn't even have a team to play there is booked pretty solidly for the next two months. With a bunch of stuff that I have no interest in, but it does seem to be hosting events fairly often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Yesssss LA Raiders incoming

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Arrowhead has the American Royal BBQ contest

:frogon:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
The Rams location would look pretty cool in overhead shots, but no matter how cool the stadium people arnt going to Rams games.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Athanatos posted:

The Rams location would look pretty cool in overhead shots, but no matter how cool the stadium people arnt going to Rams games.

Every middling team in the NFL is just one decent QB away from a packed stadium.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

NC-17 posted:

Every middling team in the NFL is just one decent QB away from a packed stadium.

I'd wager STL does not follow this rule. Even during the Greatest Show on Turf years, it was kinda like "This is nice, but when does baseball start back up?"

They'd need something more than decent to pull numbers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Athanatos posted:

I'd wager STL does not follow this rule. Even during the Greatest Show on Turf years, it was kinda like "This is nice, but when does baseball start back up?"

I don't know how the attendance was, but I happened to go to college in the middle of Missouri during the one period of time ever that St Louis football was a big deal. I'll just say it made me hate the Rams to this day.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Blitz7x posted:

Yesssss LA Raiders incoming

The city of Oakland didn't even submit a plan today, fyi

I've been ready for the LA Raiders for a while now.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Athanatos posted:

Uh, what?

The Dome was rocking in the GSOT days. Just look at the boxscores for the games from then. Early in '99 they weren't selling out because they were terrible the season, but later in the year and through 2001, they sold out every game.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

JRizzle posted:

Uh, what?

The Dome was rocking in the GSOT days. Just look at the boxscores for the games from then. Early in '99 they weren't selling out because they were terrible the season, but later in the year and through 2001, they sold out every game.

I dont think even a decent QB would get STL back to that point though. It would take a really loving good team to pull them away from baseball again.

Even sellingout every game it still felt like a baseball town at the pinnacle of NFL-dom in the city.

And at this point so far down, it's a long way to climb out of the fan hole they've dug themselves.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Athanatos posted:

I dont think even a decent QB would get STL back to that point though. It would take a really loving good team to pull them away from baseball again.

Even sellingout every game it still felt like a baseball town at the pinnacle of NFL-dom in the city.

And at this point so far down, it's a long way to climb out of the fan hole they've dug themselves.

They're not that far from selling out and it's not like the Cardinals and Rams play at the same time that often anyway. If the Rams were good, St. Louis would definitely strongly support them again.

The Cardinals have been in St. Louis for over 100 years and good most of the time. The Rams have been there only 20 and have been bad the majority of the time. They get pretty good support despite that.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
So the Qualcomm plan involves moving the stadium even farther away from the trolley? It legit looks like you have to walk a half a mile just to get to the concourse with the incredibly oversized jumbotron and the little helmetless kid kickflipping off of a cement... thing directly into an even more awkward looking skater.

I've been working with the new Sonics Arena folks and even their quick and dirty renderings make the SD contributions look like hot garbage soup. Did they even attempt to put anything to scale?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I don't think they're moving the stadium further away. It looks like they're just moving it east toward the 15, which is weird since everything I've heard for months was that they were going to move it as far away from the 15 as possible

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Yeah no, it's already way too close to the 15. The Friars/15 interchange is bad enough when it isn't a game day.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zurreco posted:

Yeah no, it's already way too close to the 15. The Friars/15 interchange is bad enough when it isn't a game day.

Agreed. The Northwest corner of the massive parking lot is the perfect place to build a new stadium if they're going to at all. THAT would be pretty drat far from the trolley stop though, but at this point I don't think that's high on their concern list

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

That stadium looks like a loving ridiculous space station, and a water fountain is completely impractical for something like a football stadium.

Yeah, let your kid play in that poo poo and then go find your seats soaking wet for 4 hours.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That stadium looks designed to look dated and half broken in 15 years

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Ross Angeles posted:

St. Louis, San Diego, and Oakland were all supposed to give stadium proposals to the NFL in Chicago today.

Oakland's proposal: http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_28392872/exclusive-oakland-stadium-deal-worst-by-far-raiders TLDR: Holy gently caress this is bad

San Diego's proposal: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/10/stadium-financing-chargers-eir-chicago/ TLDR: 33% public funded, 67% privately funded, 1.1 Billion dollars all together.

St. Louis: I haven't been following and don't have a good link, but they're probably ahead of San Diego and definitely Oakland right now.

Here are the new renderings for the San Diego site:

So did Mothra just attack this stadium or something

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

warcrimes posted:

The city of Oakland didn't even submit a plan today, fyi

I've been ready for the LA Raiders for a while now.

I hope this means the Raiders get decent again.

I mean just in general since their colors are too good to waste.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

computer parts posted:

I hope this means the Raiders get decent again.

I mean just in general since their colors are too good to waste.

I realized long ago that Oakland/Alameda County weren't going to help the Raiders build a stadium and with Davis not being a good ole boy billionaire that this team was going to have to move again eventually if they didn't sell the team. After Al died, Mark Davis made it clear he would never sell the team so that was out and moving was really the only option.

Moving to LA would be great for the team. Not only are you in a top two media market, you'll be in a state-of-the-art, brand new stadium(shared or not). The value(and therefore equity) of the team would skyrocket, it would become a preferred destination for players and with the Raiders on an organizational upswing, a real possibility to become a jewel of the league, down the road, is a thing.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

im so excited for the return of LA Raiders snapbacks and starter jackets with Carr/Mack/Cooper as the stars

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sash! posted:

That stadium looks designed to look dated and half broken in 15 years
While looking at those pictures all I could think of was the post right above it:

FuriousxGeorge posted:

But the real problem is replacing the buildings way too fast. If a stadium is going to be built to host rare major events it should be built to last a long, long time. They can't be rebuilding them every 20 years. They should be built to last 100 years with renovation, not total rebuild every time the architecture goes out of style.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

warcrimes posted:

I realized long ago that Oakland/Alameda County weren't going to help the Raiders build a stadium and with Davis not being a good ole boy billionaire that this team was going to have to move again eventually if they didn't sell the team. After Al died, Mark Davis made it clear he would never sell the team so that was out and moving was really the only option.

Moving to LA would be great for the team. Not only are you in a top two media market, you'll be in a state-of-the-art, brand new stadium(shared or not). The value(and therefore equity) of the team would skyrocket, it would become a preferred destination for players and with the Raiders on an organizational upswing, a real possibility to become a jewel of the league, down the road, is a thing.

I think a major obstacle is that the nfl might not WANT the Raiders in LA with Mark Davis as the owner. The Coliseum already said they don't want the Raiders, and the other owners might want to have Spanos or Kronke there instead.

The Raiders are in a tough spot right now

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ross Angeles posted:

I think a major obstacle is that the nfl might not WANT the Raiders in LA with Mark Davis as the owner. The Coliseum already said they don't want the Raiders, and the other owners might want to have Spanos or Kronke there instead.

Why wouldn't they? The Raiders have a huge leg up on any other team when it comes to establishing a fan base in LA. Mark or no Mark, the team would make a lot of money.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Why wouldn't they? The Raiders have a huge leg up on any other team when it comes to establishing a fan base in LA. Mark or no Mark, the team would make a lot of money.

quote:

* If the NFL had to put two teams there, it would probably prefer the Rams and Chargers, but since those teams are in the cities most amenable to knuckling under to their football teams, the league’s other owners would probably prefer not to punish cities that roll over for them.

* In addition, the Rams would prefer to work alone, the Chargers don’t want to be a tenant to the Rams either in word, deed or shoe-squeezing, but wouldn’t mind playing the Rams’ role with the Raiders as the tenant who lives in the back of the flat.

In other words, there are so many moving parts (and we haven’t even gotten to L.A.’s newfound love of the Olympics) that the absence of a resolution actually has some merit as well. It certainly helps St. Louis and San Diego, inconveniences Stan Kroenke and Dean Spanos, and lengthens Mark Davis’ torture . . . if you define “torture” as losing football games and making tons of money no matter what as a member of The 32.

And hey, it still beats being Geno Smith.

So if you’re looking for news from the owners’ meetings, it is this: Oakland is not a player in this debate because Oakland doesn’t have money to misappropriate on a football team it has already misappropriated money on two decades ago. That means that the Raiders can only throw themselves on the “mercy” of The Other 31, and yes, we use “mercy” in the strongest possible quote marks. Without a city to silver-and-blackjack into economic submission, the Raiders’ only leverage is that it is the weakest franchise in the league and as such is as close as the league comes to having a beggar in its midst.

So maybe there’s one last question to be determined – how much longer will the NFL tolerate the Raiders as a corporate entry being like the Raiders on the field? And no, that problem is not something Jack Del Rio or Derek Carr or Charles Woodson can impact.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/raiders/seven-things-we-now-know-after-nfl-owners-meetings

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

^^ don't quote Ray loving Ratto if you want to come off as giving facts, NFL Insider was reporting the exact opposite this morning and it's kind of been discussed a lot on the media outlets here. Spanos and Davis have forged this kind of strange partnership and are joined at the hip, unless the Chargers somehow stay in SD.

Ross Angeles posted:

Uh, what? The NFL actually wants the Chargers and Raiders in LA because they don't like how Kronke has gone about his business. Don't make poo poo up.

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 11, 2015

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rasczak posted:

So did Mothra just attack this stadium or something

:lol:, this deserves more attention.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

warcrimes posted:

^^ don't quote Ray loving Ratto if you want to come off as giving facts, NFL Insider was reporting the exact opposite this morning and it's kind of been discussed a lot on the media outlets here. Spanos and Davis have forged this kind of strange partnership and are joined at the hip, unless the Chargers somehow stay in SD.

I loving hate Ratto, I just found that article this morning and I was mad about it

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Kroenke's the one who's actually hosed, because he can get a deal done in STL. He just wants to go to LA as a luxury. The league obviously isn't in a position to be picky about cities that can support an NFL team. What's the point of resolving the Rams situation by creating a new problem? Kroenke is rich, but he's not going to get support from the other owners if it comes down to picking his team going to LA as a luxury thereby leaving the Raiders or Chargers with absolutely no options except to like, move to St. Louis. I do think it's bad for business when you have teams that are as lovely and poor as the Raiders, and an easy way to resolve the problem of the Raiders brand being worthless is to put them in a premier market like LA where they will be generating a lot more money. The Rams only hope at getting into LA is for San Diego to get a stadium deal worked out in San Diego, and pairing up with the Raiders on a new stadium.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Unless Kroenke goes full Al Davis and moves anyway. Granted, I don't know if he can actually do that the way Al did in the 70s.

I like reading about old Al Davis stories

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I still wouldn't be shocked if we saw an ownership swap

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wasn't the San Antonio Raiders a possibility being discussed last year?

And, I know nobody has raised it as a possibility, but I still say Sacramento is the ideal place for the Raiders to move to. There's room for a stadium, Sac just built one for the Kings, it's close enough to the Bay Area for Raiders fans here to commute to games, it's a large market with no NFL team, and there's even train service between Sacramento and Oakland. Which should get a lot better if they ever get that high speed rail thing going.

I just wish it was being discussed. I suppose Sacramento would have to show some interest.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I don't know how often you travel from Oakland to Sacramento and back, but that is really not a very appealing prospect for anyone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

King Hong Kong posted:

I don't know how often you travel from Oakland to Sacramento and back, but that is really not a very appealing prospect for anyone.

Isn't it similar in distance to the trip from San Diego to Carson? Google says it's about a 2-hour drive.

80 through Emeryville sucks rear end, but after that, it's a big drat freeway and on a Sunday it shouldn't be too bad. It'd be a hell of a lot better deal for Raiders fans in Oakland than if the team moves to LA or Texas or pretty much anywhere else that's been in consideration.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
There's no way in hell Sacramento is building another stadium. They just got done spending millions of dollars defending frivolous lawsuits related to the Golden One Center being built.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sacramento only got their arena because the Kings were literally on the way out of town, and it took an 11th-hour scramble to get a deal done. Even after that it was still a clusterfuck.

lol if you think they'll want to build an NFL stadium after that ordeal.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Plus the Sac Raiders sounds awful

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Raiders, A's, and Warriors should all get together and build a new megastadium on Treasure Island/Yerba Buena Island.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

The Raiders, A's, and Warriors should all get together and build a new megastadium on Treasure Island/Yerba Buena Island.

Davis was open to this but Wolf and the other A's partners are assholes. gently caress the city of Oakland, the county of Alameda, and the Oakland Athletics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Raiders should move to Maricopa County and build a stadium in Tent City, free admission for all prisoners

• Locked thread