Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

I like Crisis of the Confederation, but whenever I play it, the Confederation seems to hold together quite nicely and people are just hanging out doing their things on the edges while the core is pretty stable. I'd prefer a bookmark from 10~ years later in the setting where the Confederation has already completely collapsed.

I am a huge Fading Suns fan and so this is pretty much just what was ordered but I do have to agree - I got about 50 years into a game as the space pirates and the Confederation was still very much there, being huge and not being bothered by its neighbors or bothering them. Also they got angry when I tried to burn Sol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Things needed for nomads to not be tedious:

Some sort of auto-pillage system you can set on specific holdings or provinces. Having to go back every few months for years is annoying as hell, especially since it shares a reminder with the 'settle as feudal' decision. Greatly exacerbated by the beta patch making pillaging take four times as long.

Transparency in province limits. Here's how it works, from memory: If you have no other clan vassals, you can have four provinces. Once you hit five provinces, suddenly the other clans want two of them. They'll want the sixth and seventh, but they'll let you have the eighth and ninth ones. But once you have a tenth, suddenly the clans demand that you give up not only the tenth province but two more. If there's some part of the interface that will tell you whether the other clans will let you have one more province without kicking up a fuss, I've yet to discover it.

On a lesser but almost as infuriating note:

Elephant unit graphics for nomads :colbert: Currently if you make an elephant retinue as a nomad (by having your capital in an Indian jungle), the little dude is a regular spearman. Tried it with Turks and Mongols.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I don't really think the pillaging system was designed with slaughtering entire countries at once in mind. I also think pillaging a holding should increase the revolt risk of all counties of that religion or culture you control. Or maybe even just all non-nomadic holdings with a huge rear end opinion modifier for all non-nomadic vassals. People seem to take the rapid genocide of the globe rather well all things considered.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

So while I've been rampaging around Ireland, a few...things have happened in the rest of the world.

The Norse kingdom of Algeria.

Vikings murdered the pope and took his poo poo while Europe watched. The Pope now lives in a temple I gave him in tribal Ireland.

Byzantium somehow manage to get ahold of Dihistan despite not having any bordering provinces at any time, and gave it to a gay leprous Armenian drunk, who happens to be the last scion of the ancient Zoroastrian dynasty of the Arsacids and cousins of the Karens and Sassanids. And if I'm looking at this right is probably the current heir to the Sassanian dynasty as well, as most of the successor dynasties to the Arsacids that are present at the game start are currently extinct or unlanded and about to be. He has no male children and his female heir is non-matrileneally married. Way to gently caress up your dynasties chance at redemption buddy.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 9, 2015

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Schizotek posted:

I don't really think the pillaging system was designed with slaughtering entire countries at once in mind. I also think pillaging a holding should increase the revolt risk of all counties of that religion or culture you control. Or maybe even just all non-nomadic holdings with a huge rear end opinion modifier for all non-nomadic vassals. People seem to take the rapid genocide of the globe rather well all things considered.

Yeah I could go with this, with the addition of pillaging the territory of any one rebelling against you doing the opposite.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Does a kingdom title need to exist for an Invasion to be called against it? I can create Cumania right now, but if that will allow the Mongold to claim a whole swath of land instead of the single county conquest they did last time, then I'll hold off.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Anonononomous posted:

Does a kingdom title need to exist for an Invasion to be called against it?

No.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Whoops! Looks like in the beta patch, it's no longer possible to invite matrilineally married people into your court at all. The woman can't be invited because "must not be married," and the man can't be invited because "is not in a lesser union and in the same court as his spouse."

And, huh. I thought it was supposed to be impossible to have simultaneous host wars declared upon you.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 10, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I was wiki walking at work about twelver Shiism and I just realized that several of the 12 imams were alive during some of the start dates. Are they actually in game?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Schizotek posted:

I was wiki walking at work about twelver Shiism and I just realized that several of the 12 imams were alive during some of the start dates. Are they actually in game?

They are! At least the 7th and 8th Imams are courtiers in the Bedouin Company in the Charlemagne start. The previous (dead) Imams are also in the database. I'm too lazy to look if the later Imams are there as well, but I think it's highly likely.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
1st through 6th Caliphs - exist in the history files as descendants of Muhammad, who's portrait is the Arabic calligraphic symbol for his name. All are unlanded, and held the Shia Caliph title.

7th Caliph, Musa ibn Jafar - Charlemagne start, commander in the Bedouin Company mercenaries, strong claim on the then-non-existant Shia Caliphate.

8th Caliph, Ali ibn Musa - Charlemagne start, three years old, son of the above.

9th Caliph, Muhammad ibn Ali - between Charlemagne and Old Gods, but exists in the histories as the unlanded Shia Caliph.

10th Caliph, Ali ibn Muhammad - Old Gods start, Wali Ali (:v:) of Medina, strong claim on Shia Caliphate.

11th Caliph, Hasan ibn Ali - son of the above.

12th Caliph, Muhammad ibn al-Hasan / the Mahdi - born after the Old Gods start. According to the history files, he died in 909, long before the Stamford Bridge start.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
These guys got nothing on the Fatimids.

Edit. Oh, i'm just being stupid then. Carry on.

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 10, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Back To 99 posted:

These guys got nothing on the Fatimids.

I don't understand, both the game and the real world Fatimids consider the Imams to be part of their dynasty.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
So they've changed a bunch of stuff with the Norse since Old Gods came out, which is cool, but I have no idea how to use the raiders you can now raise with your council. I raised a small party but I couldn't toggle on looter in friendly territory(I moused over the greyed out button and it just said X is not forced to raid or something like that) and tried moving them into raiding territory, that didn't work and then they finally ran off with my money which was really frustrating since I was trying to use them to raid and for some reason I just couldn't. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong here?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

There are three kinds and they all have different functions. Steward dudes want to fight in a real war. Military ones want to raid. Religious ones wanna gently caress up infidels.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Does anyone know how the number of lands you have to give to other clans as a nomad is actually determined? Starting as the magyars, if I conquer a single province, I suddenly have to give away 3, which seems pretty nonsensical. Particularly as this necessarily puts me below the number of provinces that one of your sub-clans has.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Does anyone know how the number of lands you have to give to other clans as a nomad is actually determined? Starting as the magyars, if I conquer a single province, I suddenly have to give away 3, which seems pretty nonsensical. Particularly as this necessarily puts me below the number of provinces that one of your sub-clans has.

I could be very wrong, but I think part of the trick to holding power is to make sure you're always at the max number of clans, because otherwise you get forced into situations where you have to give a clan more land than you. But I'm still figuring it all out, playing Magyars myself; successfully managed to take Avaria and the parts of Bulgaria the ERE didn't gobble up first.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DStecks posted:

I could be very wrong, but I think part of the trick to holding power is to make sure you're always at the max number of clans, because otherwise you get forced into situations where you have to give a clan more land than you. But I'm still figuring it all out, playing Magyars myself; successfully managed to take Avaria and the parts of Bulgaria the ERE didn't gobble up first.

I've been one of two max clans and the clan ruler and it was a constant fight to have just one more province than them.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Did some console experimentation and got the following results:

code:
Total provinces held by all clans - maximum amount of land leader clan can hold without unrest

1 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 3
4 - 4
5 - 3
6 - 3
7 - 3
8 - 4
9 - 5
10 - 3
11 - 3
12 - 4
13 - 4
14 - 4
15 - 5
16 - 5
17 - 5
18 - 6
19 - 6
20 - 6
21 - 7
By these numbers, early on there's a lot of points where capturing a new province will mean your maximum land goes down, but once you're well established your land allowance just keeps increasing as the total realm size grows. This matches my experiences playing nomads. I'm pretty sure it's just a linear ratio, but I can't say for sure whether the number of tribes/land distribution among tribes/number of holdings in the provinces matter.

It's pretty goddamn ridiculous that this information is hidden from the player, considering that there's two separate points where increasing the amount of land held actually decreases the amount of land the leading clan can hold. Could this really be working as intended?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Huh. The king of Asturias in the Charlemagne start is a direct descendant of the Merovingians (straight from Clovis, actually) and is related to Justinian. Now there's a pedigree.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Too bad he is always destined to get his poo poo kicked in by the Umayyads.

The King of Poland just reformed slavic paganism in my Essex --> England game in 867 :stare:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So here's something I hadn't seen before.

If you have the lunatic trait, you can get an event where you see a "Red haired Nymph" inside a rose bush in your garden. You can choose either to "win her heart over" by entering the bush, which has a chance of giving you the "Scarred" trait, or you can snap out of it, which has a chance to remove the lunatic trait.

I had chosen the rosebush option a couple of times before, because it sounded funny, but this time I got this event 9 months later:

Pretty funny, also note that the kid is ethnic Irish (even though my character is Norse), probably to make sure he had red hair.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Something I just realized today, after a rather one-sided war with the Byzantines, is that nomads can hit way above their weight because of how hordes work. If you've got a clue at all, you can have your horde plunged deep into enemy territory before they can get their levies all rounded up. As long as you can outfight the liege's demesne levies, you can probably take on any feudal realm.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Also you can have a practice war beforehand by turning on raiding and burning their entire demesne to the ground, and then having the 'proper' war after all their levies are dead.

(that's the case with anyone that can raid, but it's even more pronounced when you've got a constant standing army)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Tehan posted:

It's pretty goddamn ridiculous that this information is hidden from the player, considering that there's two separate points where increasing the amount of land held actually decreases the amount of land the leading clan can hold. Could this really be working as intended?
I think the total number of empty holdings might be involved as well, actually. I had at least one case where pillaging a tribal holding into nonexistence resulted in the "too much land" warning popping up.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

I think the total number of empty holdings might be involved as well, actually. I had at least one case where pillaging a tribal holding into nonexistence resulted in the "too much land" warning popping up.

That's because land only counts for nomad purposes once it's empty or nearly empty. Which is another enormous pain in the arse, since you can be halfway through burning a province to the ground when it suddenly starts counting and you have to either give it away without fully pillaging it or you have to ride out the revolt risk.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Pakled posted:

The one thing I've noticed from Theology is that it occasionally gives me a relationship boost event with my court chaplain. About once or twice per lifetime. So yeah, not especially interesting.

You can auto convert people who come to you trying to convert you, which is basically a must if you start heretic

e: The choice it unlocks has a hilariously reddit-atheist tone to it, something like "I will engage them in theological debate with my superior intellect!"

e2: Also gives you pilgrimage as an event chain, which gives a nice steady stream of piety, and the option to gain/lose a few traits. So really, one of the better focuses, IMO

MoreLikeTen fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 11, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MoreLikeTen posted:

You can auto convert people who come to you trying to convert you, which is basically a must if you start heretic

e: The choice it unlocks has a hilariously reddit-atheist tone to it, something like "I will engage them in theological debate with my superior intellect!"

e2: Also gives you pilgrimage as an event chain, which gives a nice steady stream of piety, and the option to gain/lose a few traits. So really, one of the better focuses, IMO

The auto-convert event comes up regardless of your focus. I'm getting spammed with it as an Indian ruler, because of the choice to switch between Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism if you play one of them.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MoreLikeTen posted:

I thought that that auto-convert option was available from high learning, not from Theology focus. If so, then that's neat I suppose. I still think every focus needs some kind of active power.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

MoreLikeTen posted:

? Pilgrimage is a one-off, not a steady stream.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Strudel Man posted:

? Pilgrimage is a one-off, not a steady stream.

Pilgrim trait gives .1 piety per month.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

2.4.3. is officially out now, I was hoping they'd tweak nomad pillaging a bit more but they didn't (2 buildings/6months). I'd really like to burn BYZ to the ground but it's so much tedious clicking. :sigh:

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
"Fixed a bug that made Hellenic Pagan religion available in the Ruler Designer."

But, why?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
So I started another game as a Zoroastrian dude in Gilan, cuz I like that area. I was lucky enough for some sow dissent stuff to kick off on a couple guys I guess and I THINK whoever is/was in charge the Abassid either majorly pissed off some people (the caliph right now seems to really bad at keeping his seduction conquests quiet) or something randomly happened, but a couple small areas rebelled and SOMEHOW got their independence. Led to a good time holy warring and picking off rebelling guys who were too small or right on my border. I got maimed and incapable and somehow survived my heir-son, so as the young, dashing grandson I thought perhaps I would move east and try to hook up with the weird zoroastrians out that way so I could throw excess kids their way until I can set up a sweet trade republic down south to suck up excess kids I can't marry/marry off.

The Karens I think (if you play them) can convert back to Zoroastrianism, but is there some way to get the AI to do it? They are still part of the abassid, so I can't just shove my king of persia routine down on them and demand they become my vassals. It would greatly ease things if I could just get that bit of muslim territory out of the way.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

"Fixed a bug that made Hellenic Pagan religion available in the Ruler Designer."

But, why?

Because if the ruler designer wasn't balanced, people could cheese it to get easy cheevo runs... oh wait...

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

Pakled posted:

I thought that that auto-convert option was available from high learning, not from Theology focus. If so, then that's neat I suppose. I still think every focus needs some kind of active power.

I think you're right actually. I think that the bonus (+2 learning) just so happens to be enough to push my eugenic supermen over the threshold, usually.

On an unrelated note, I was playing as absolute cognatic Cathar, with the religion reformed and at high moral authority. To my horror, I died and became an idiot son who let his eldest daughter marry non-matrilineally. He was super old, so once I hit 10 years of reign, I panicked and switched to seniority succession to avoid the auto-lose. Now, I'm stuck playing as old people in increasingly shorter and shorter reigns, and not one has lived long enough to switch realm laws. Is there any way to get out of this trap?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MoreLikeTen posted:

I think you're right actually. I think that the bonus (+2 learning) just so happens to be enough to push my eugenic supermen over the threshold, usually.

On an unrelated note, I was playing as absolute cognatic Cathar, with the religion reformed and at high moral authority. To my horror, I died and became an idiot son who let his eldest daughter marry non-matrilineally. He was super old, so once I hit 10 years of reign, I panicked and switched to seniority succession to avoid the auto-lose. Now, I'm stuck playing as old people in increasingly shorter and shorter reigns, and not one has lived long enough to switch realm laws. Is there any way to get out of this trap?

Plot to kill your oldest relatives, or even go the extreme route and imprison and execute them until you get an heir who is likely to live at least 10 years. You will eat massive tyrant and kinslayer penalties, but if your dude is already 70...

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

But, why?

God knows. It was only accessible via Designer in the first place.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Plot to kill your oldest relatives, or even go the extreme route and imprison and execute them until you get an heir who is likely to live at least 10 years. You will eat massive tyrant and kinslayer penalties, but if your dude is already 70...

I was afraid that might be necessary. Unfortunately, my family spans all of north africa, italy, france and spain, and has been around for centuries. We're talking about a TON of old people here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

TheMcD posted:

Pilgrim trait gives .1 piety per month.
Ahh. Eh. That's pretty small compared to humble or zealous.

• Locked thread