Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

ThePeavstenator posted:

How/Why is homeschooling even legal?

How/Why would you expect it to be illegal?

e: I dedicate this snipe (and possible derail) to the Go gently caress Yourself, Branco Foundation.

snakeandbake fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Association of American Editorial Cartoonists are calling for independent investigation on the Rallgate thing.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ThePeavstenator posted:

America's founding principle is government non-intrusion well beyond the point where it jeopardizes good outcomes for its citizens. It's not even a question.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

snakeandbake posted:

How/Why would you expect it to be illegal?

e: I dedicate this snipe (and possible derail) to the Go gently caress Yourself, Branco Foundation.
I already typed this up for the primary thread earlier this morning. Since, coincidentally, the matter is coming up in my politoons thread now, I'm just going to crosspost it.

pwn posted:

Cephalocidal posted:

PT6A posted:

Homeschooling is a bad idea because it supposes that the only point of a normal education is the direct transfer of knowledge contained in the curriculum, which you are quite correct tends to be a loving joke.

Since that's not the case, homeschooling is poo poo. I say this as someone who's gone through several public schools, one private school, and a year of home schooling. The private school was competitive for being pretty much the worst thing ever, but homeschooling was really bad.
:agreed: My son has the attention span of a gnat and soaks up whatever interests him but can't be made to focus on a specific subject for longer than it takes him to blink. Public school isn't really good for him in terms of actual education right now, but the social and emotional kneecapping I'd be dealing him by pulling him out would be tantamount to child abuse. For every home school success story there's a hundred unironic shitposters being forged in the dark.
I've been trying to ignore this but I need to get this out.

I know a family, a very large, wonderful family. The two mothers have un-schooled every one of their 10 children. All the grown children have gone on to great success and happiness in their lives and are perfectly well-adjusted, and the rest show no signs of going differently. I guess they must have hit the lottery ten times in a row. Or it's possible to properly raise and educate children in more than one way.

They've been tremendous friends for almost a decade now. I've watched them grow and move off and live extraordinary lives.

That said I think the way to do it isn't to force feed knowledge down the kids' throats, but let them find what interests them. If they aren't respected they're not going to be happy, whether they're in a public school or at home. If you feel you wouldn't be able to do it properly, then I suppose it would be child abuse. You gotta do what you feel is right.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

"I often use King Solomon to represent the actions of the Israeli government. Especially when it screws up!
Labels: Gaza, Gush Katif, Israel, King Solomon, Occupation, Palestine, Palestinians, Sinai, Terrorism, terrorists, Withdrawal"

"Labels: Appeasement, Bibi, Dry Bones cartoon, Iran, Israel, kirschen, Negotiations, Netanyahu, Tehran, terror, Terrorism"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The perception is that people who homeschool are those who fear that public schools are indoctrinating their kids with liberal lies and phony science. While there's certainly a sect of people that do that, there's also the fact that if parents provide some sort of structure around their kid's learning, homeschooling is just as viable an option, if not better because as much as I hate to agree with drunky duck, homeschooled kids perform as well, if not better than public school kids.

This ignores the fact that many families cannot homeschool effectively - both parents generally have to have a job to make ends meet, so this generally means that homeschooled kids end up being upper class.

I was homeschooled until 7th grade. The math books I used in homeschool were actually fun and explained how to do the work. When I went to school, the textbooks I got were pure garbage and always required a teacher to explain the concepts. I always scored in the top percentile for standardized math tests, despite usually not doing that well for a math grade. The biggest issue with my public school, however, was that it was woefully underfunded; it relied on a levy with a public vote in a town with more elderly people that were pretty FYGM, so we were always screwed.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I'm not reading or commenting on That Fuckbarn Guy anymore. It's the same reason I don't make fun of Chrischan and his ilk, it's as lowbrow as mocking homeless people with severe mental illness. There's no point and it's enabling other bad behaviors by drawing attention to it.

pwn posted:

Check out the flag's stars yo. :unsmigghh:

I didn't see it, since the flag is so drab compared to all the other brightly colored focus points elsewhere... then I saw that and the stars.:cripes:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

My monocle just popped clean off because Jen Sorenson actually made a funny cartoon

Mister Beeg posted:

The Association of American Editorial Cartoonists are calling for independent investigation on the Rallgate thing.

I'm really hoping for some Streisand Effect poo poo to go down that will make everyone aware of how terrible Rall is.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

laughing at all the grandpas making heatmeiser jokes about that trump cartoon rather than dragon ball jokes

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

xthetenth posted:

America's founding principle is government non-intrusion well beyond the point where it jeopardizes good outcomes for its citizens. It's not even a question.

There are times when it's necessary, like kids with serious illnesses. What I really didn't like, though, was when one of my students got in a fight. Normally he'd be suspended for ten days, but the principal put him into home school for the rest of the year, and I was having to send homework that he never did for months.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Jurgan posted:

There are times when it's necessary, like kids with serious illnesses. What I really didn't like, though, was when one of my students got in a fight. Normally he'd be suspended for ten days, but the principal put him into home school for the rest of the year, and I was having to send homework that he never did for months.

I meant that something where there's an actual argument for it from the right is far from the sort of thing that would be prohibited in this country.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

ThePeavstenator posted:

:byodood: !LIBERTY! :byodood:

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

seiferguy posted:

The biggest issue with my public school, however, was that it was woefully underfunded; it relied on a levy with a public vote in a town with more elderly people that were pretty FYGM, so we were always screwed.

Ah, you lived in Spanaway, Washington, I see.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

Hope that helps. :buddy: Unfortunately, clicking "large thumbnail" doesn't allow you to copy an entire album with that small addition added. #Struggle

Actually you can do this too, if you click "generate multiple links" there should be a dropdown menu that allows you to select "large thumbnail" for all of them. imgur is a lifesaver for posting big cartoon dumps here, especially when some are at giant resolution. On that note,

Branco supporting a Democrat while AN trashes him, we're in Bizarro world.

6 :rimshot:
11 This strikes me as being an extremely revealing self-portrait of Terry Wise.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

seiferguy posted:

The perception is that people who homeschool are those who fear that public schools are indoctrinating their kids with liberal lies and phony science. While there's certainly a sect of people that do that, there's also the fact that if parents provide some sort of structure around their kid's learning, homeschooling is just as viable an option, if not better because as much as I hate to agree with drunky duck, homeschooled kids perform as well, if not better than public school kids.

This ignores the fact that many families cannot homeschool effectively - both parents generally have to have a job to make ends meet, so this generally means that homeschooled kids end up being upper class.

I was homeschooled until 7th grade. The math books I used in homeschool were actually fun and explained how to do the work. When I went to school, the textbooks I got were pure garbage and always required a teacher to explain the concepts. I always scored in the top percentile for standardized math tests, despite usually not doing that well for a math grade. The biggest issue with my public school, however, was that it was woefully underfunded; it relied on a levy with a public vote in a town with more elderly people that were pretty FYGM, so we were always screwed.

The main issue people have with homeschooling isn't academic, it's the fact that homeschooled kids are almost always super awkward socially stunted weirdos.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

"Gee, this one black GOP candidate sure makes a lot of sense to me, as does their token female candidate!" -a black man" -a white man.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The main issue people have with homeschooling isn't academic, it's the fact that homeschooled kids are almost always super awkward socially stunted weirdos.

Isn't that more likely to be due to the parents not allocating enough time for socializing and teaching proper social etiquette than an inherent outcome of homeschooling? And it's not like public or private schools ever created any awkward weirdos, right?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Really putting that four-panel format to great use. Also,

GOP
DEB
ATE

LOL
OLO
LOL

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Has 7oden ever seen a human face? I can't even tell which way the child is supposed to be facing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
You know, this actually seems like a reasonable solution to this issue

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Iran is going to transport Jews from Israel to power nuclear reactors? A kosher energy cartoon?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Portals posted:

Has 7oden ever seen a human face? I can't even tell which way the child is supposed to be facing.

Poor kid, first he loses all his hair and then someone draws a face on the back of his skull.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Duuuhh yuh got me, the Democrat voter, for the fool I am. Alas, in the face of such infallible logic, and such lofty and convincing arguments, as the Republican candidates are wont to make, I am as a dummy, base and foul.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Hey. Just because it's true doesn't mean it doesn't hurt :(

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

colonel_korn posted:

Actually you can do this too, if you click "generate multiple links" there should be a dropdown menu that allows you to select "large thumbnail" for all of them. imgur is a lifesaver for posting big cartoon dumps here, especially when some are at giant resolution. On that note,

Finally, I hope this deal finally allows more politicians the cover they need to put daylight between themselves and AIPAC. You took an oath to support and defend the US and it's Constitution, gently caress Israel.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Trogdos! posted:

"Labels: Appeasement, Bibi, Dry Bones cartoon, Iran, Israel, kirschen, Negotiations, Netanyahu, Tehran, terror, Terrorism"

Oh, you know, you could see the obvious that if the entire world is telling you are wrong, MAYBE YOU ARE WRONG..

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
No records? Is this the Hillary R. Clinton Library?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Post Iran deal leads to a softer, gentler Iran much like Charlie Chaplin himself.

Haxin Jackson
Apr 3, 2011

A living wage is as fundamental to working as cheese is to a cheeseburger. AGC. Seriously, what is this cartoon even trying to say?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Haxin Jackson posted:

A living wage is as fundamental to working as cheese is to a cheeseburger. AGC. Seriously, what is this cartoon even trying to say?

"Fast food employees are morons who can't even get your order right, how dare they ask for a living wage"

e: Terry's comment on the cartoon:

quote:

Look, there's so many things wrong with raising the minimum wage, it's hard to know where to start! If the president had concentrated on the economy and job creation instead of the agenda he's had, there would be jobs - and training for jobs - in excess of $15.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Haxin Jackson posted:

"Why should they get $15 an hour if they can't get my order right?"

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

You know what, Allie, loving move already. Mississippi is ready and waiting for you.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

colonel_korn posted:

"Fast food employees are morons who can't even get your order right, how dare they ask for a living wage"

e: Terry's comment on the cartoon:

Sure, Terry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHQcWIMCUXU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mister Beeg posted:

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Finally, a debate about homeschooling, I waited years for that to happen, and now that I'm a legit, licensed teacher I'm sure you are all eager to know my opinion on this touchy subject.

I don't give a poo poo

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

WitchFetish posted:

Finally, a debate about homeschooling, I waited years for that to happen, and now that I'm a legit, licensed teacher I'm sure you are all eager to know my opinion on this touchy subject.

I don't give a poo poo

Neither do we

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

inkblot posted:

Ah, you lived in Spanaway, Washington, I see.

Port Orchard, Washington actually. Our school had concert band but we couldn't go to any performances because we couldn't afford it. Nor did we have sports for a year.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Ouch, man.

(this is usually true; I had a little difficulty adjusting to middle school social life. It doesn't help that teenagers are the worst kinds of people)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If you want to be horrified by certain stripes of Christian homeschooling, just head on down to Prester John's thread about A.C.E.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
The three types of home-schooled kids I've known: ones with smothers, ones with super religious parents, ones with super weird parents. Usually a combination of all 3.

Some of them did fine academically but all of them were idiots in everything else they did.

To be fair I grew up in a suburb of upper-middle-class white people whose riskiest behaviors involved asserting rights to feel powerful/challenged.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I was homeschooled through the ninth grade, and my high school experience was loving awful. Then again, I was a huge nerd who played Magic in the Japanese classroom every day during lunch, but it was a really bad way to experience high school, especially because that school was pretty much exclusively people that had been together as a cohort since the sixth grade, but I was such an unsocialized weird retard. See also: goon.

Homeschooling should be banned, and anyone who complains gets shot in the dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2015/08/08/rand-paul-launches-a-small-cartoon-offensive-against-chris-christie-gallery/

Rand Paul supporters tweeted bad cartoons on binder paper.

• Locked thread