Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Bring back 1.0 cat butts

and put them on a new bangaa race.

e:

Mordiceius posted:

From reddit:

:xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Someone will love using that for glamour.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mordiceius posted:

From reddit:

That's what they get for prioritizing a dubiously useful main hand over dubiously useful but glamorous AF gear.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That's the kind of poo poo that's just heartbreaking.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eej posted:

You do not want to use Fracture as a GCD filler because it costs 80 TP, which defeats the purpose of using Shield Swipe in the first place (to conserve it).

It's still a good idea for short fights where TP management isn't an issue (like Faust), or if you're offtanking and you have a party member who can give you TP regen.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Basically the only time you want to use Fracture is if you are OT and don't have Shield Swipe as your extra GCD. If you can't get a block every 24 seconds there always Sheltron.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
There are better uses of tp restore than the paladin that blows their load 2 minutes into a fight when no one else needs it

Mexicat
Feb 1, 2013
dont forget to buy your yukata, golden underwear and geta for samurai glamour

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eej posted:

Basically the only time you want to use Fracture is if you are OT and don't have Shield Swipe as your extra GCD. If you can't get a block every 24 seconds there always Sheltron.

Depending on your GCD speed, it's also good to squeeze it in at the end of FoF rather than a fast blade.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Mexicat posted:

dont forget to buy your yukata, golden underwear and geta for samurai glamour

Gather popotos, make fish, buy everything, shove it in armoire. Easy.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Niton posted:

Darkside's more of a toggle than a passive, I guess, but Maim absolutely is a passive - even without the combo bonus, it'd still be part of your highest DPS rotation thanks to Storm's Eye.

What I meant was "Paladin has no always-on analogue to Maim or Darkside while tanking", which is still true. Because if you're doing your job, those should both be active nearly 100% of the time.

It doesn't necessarily need one either. If PLD needs to do more damage there are ways to accomplish that without going "here is something very similar to what the other tanks have", like buffing FoF, buffing Spirits Within, or changing Shield Oath to -15% damage or something.

Mr. Nice! posted:

What I'd like to see is the goring blade combo with the same enmity generation that storm's path and eye get and a buff to shield bash by 30 potency so it isn't a dps loss anymore.

Path and Eye combos don't have bonus enmity.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just did an A3 normal as main tank and used fracture to keep from clipping and never ran out of TP. Later in the fight I used a shield swipe or two, but there's enough down time that it didn't matter.

Klades posted:

Path and Eye combos don't have bonus enmity.

It seems they don't. I could have swore they did at some point, but not a big bonus. I'm probably wrong.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The SCH hat has 3 monocles. I cannot get it fast enough.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

After maining WAR and getting DRK to 60 it feels weird to play PLD now because Flash does no damage and it's loving awful. Nothing spammable does AOE damage. It's garbage and I hate it.

Is the keeping threat thing more of an issue with PLD? I did A1S with some people where the MT (a PLD) grabbed all the adds and Faust and I just wailed on it in Deliverance. The first try I did Butcher's Block combos to maximize DPS but ended up pulling threat and contributing to a wipe :v: It does seem strange that I outhreated a tank in tanking stance while in DPS stance, even with the bonus threat, as the main tank is in a defensive stance and using their own threat bonus combo.

Basically PLD seems a bit hosed up right now, as WAR and DRK absolutely poo poo threat while PLD like, doesn't.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Our WAR goes full ham on Faust while the PLD MTs and we don't have issues. We do have a NIN though.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The threat thing I felt a lot in levelling PLD which was weird because i run enough STR jewlery while leveling that it shouldnt be a problem. I felt like I was dumping a lot of my MP into every pull because flash was keeping me ahead of the DPS better than halone was while still letting me get a goring blade in. Like it got a bit easier once I got the hang of timing FOF in 3.0 content so I could get two gorings AND two scorns into each one.

Threat management in dungeons with PLD feels a lot more tense if you dont just commit yourself to flash spam which is a bit of a shame considering the other tanks get to do AOE threat AND damage, but I accept that it's not quite Paladins niche. It's RARELY a problem on single target fights and at that point it's really more of a gear problem if it's still happening.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 11, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

nuru posted:

Our WAR goes full ham on Faust while the PLD MTs and we don't have issues. We do have a NIN though.

Yeah I just did a few more Eye combos instead and it was a loss of like maybe 100 potency over the whole fight but it's just weird that's even a problem.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

The threat problems are pretty straightforward.
DRK is a huge threat mountain for trash because they can dump Unleash all day and still be ready to go for the next pull because of Blood Price. WAR can supplement their Overpower spam with some TP-free Steel Cyclone. PLD has damage-less Flash as their only real AoE threat, and because they can't rapidly recover it like DRK and don't have access to TP based AoE like WAR, they have to ration their Flash use to make sure they don't have to pause between pulls. Plus Flash is gross because it doesn't contribute to things dying.
On single target, DRK and PLD both have the same problem, which is that maximizing their personal performance involves not using their threat combo.
In Deliverance, without buffs a WAR rotating Eye and BB won't pull from a PLD that's just using Royal Authority. Throw in Goring Blade and it gets slightly shakier, but throw in Berserk and you're suddenly dropping 2.2k potency of enmity per BB and if the PLD isn't throwing some Halones around that's not going to work out. With a DRK, though, even without Berserk you'll probably pull ahead if the DRK doesn't use Power Slash, because neither of the combos they want to use have any +enmity, while RA at least has Savage Blade with its 3x mod.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Dps wars are ruining the game.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah I just did a few more Eye combos instead and it was a loss of like maybe 100 potency over the whole fight but it's just weird that's even a problem.

If I remember right, our PLD was also in Sword oath through the first couple adds. That probably contributed, alongside the lack of a NIN.

Really though, I blame Fell Cleave, and PLD's lack of an equivalent.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Dps wars are ruining the game.

You're wrong and I don't like you anymore.

Six words and you undid all the goodwill by making all those spreadsheets. HOW DOES IT FEEL??

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Dps wars rule in this game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

Sword Oath is actually really good and cool. It's just that people don't notice it as much because it doesn't make their numbers bigger. But it's an extra ~25 potency per second when your normal rotation is around 150 pps.
Also the extra attacks can crit independent of your autoattacks. Half-strength attacks that can crit on top of your normal attacks critting add up over a long time.

I kinda wish my original :downs: interpretation of Shelltron was what it did, that being it blocked the next attack. Meaning that attack did no damage or added effects. With the mana regen on top of that it would be pretty dope.

I still maintain that WARs are the outlier that needs to be adjusted than the other tanks need buffing, mainly since their DPS got turbocharged (VIA Deliverance) while PLD's just got tweaked (VIA Goring Blade & Royal Authority.)

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I actually wouldn't be shocked if they nerf Deliverance by making it drop your stacks and/or cost a couple hundred TP.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Klades posted:

The threat problems are pretty straightforward.
DRK is a huge threat mountain for trash because they can dump Unleash all day and still be ready to go for the next pull because of Blood Price. WAR can supplement their Overpower spam with some TP-free Steel Cyclone. PLD has damage-less Flash as their only real AoE threat, and because they can't rapidly recover it like DRK and don't have access to TP based AoE like WAR, they have to ration their Flash use to make sure they don't have to pause between pulls. Plus Flash is gross because it doesn't contribute to things dying.
On single target, DRK and PLD both have the same problem, which is that maximizing their personal performance involves not using their threat combo.
In Deliverance, without buffs a WAR rotating Eye and BB won't pull from a PLD that's just using Royal Authority. Throw in Goring Blade and it gets slightly shakier, but throw in Berserk and you're suddenly dropping 2.2k potency of enmity per BB and if the PLD isn't throwing some Halones around that's not going to work out. With a DRK, though, even without Berserk you'll probably pull ahead if the DRK doesn't use Power Slash, because neither of the combos they want to use have any +enmity, while RA at least has Savage Blade with its 3x mod.

This is basically it. Warriors do great damage and threat at the same time for both single target and AOE. Dark knights have to sacrifice a little damage to maintain threat for single target. Paladins have to sacrifice damage to maintain threat for single target, and they have to give up ALL of their damage for AOE, and they only have one damaging AOE ability in the first place. If people don't see what's wrong with this then I don't know what to say.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also the extra attacks can crit independent of your autoattacks. Half-strength attacks that can crit on top of your normal attacks critting add up over a long time.

Sword oath attacks aren't half-strength. What do you mean by that?

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
I'm still confused what the threat issue is. Of course you can't open with your optimal DPS combo as a main tank, it's a trade off. The same enmity modifiers are still there and tank DPS is still roughly at the same ratio of damage dealers DPS, numerically there is no difference.

On shield swipe, it's more pps than halone and saves TP so that's what it is replacing; pop bulwark on a pull and use it to cement threat. If it is replacing royal authority or goring you're using it wrong.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Paladins do like 100-150 less DPS than DRKs do while MTing and DPS checks in Savage Alex are really tight.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

Sword oath attacks aren't half-strength. What do you mean by that?

I should have used 'damage' there but even then, 50 potency attacks aren't 50% damage due to the way the math works (57-58% at 807 strength according to the beating I just gave a striking dummy.)

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

EponymousMrYar posted:

50 potency attacks aren't 50% damage due to the way the math works (57-58% at 807 strength according to the beating I just gave a striking dummy.)

50% of what?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Fishious posted:

I'm still confused what the threat issue is. Of course you can't open with your optimal DPS combo as a main tank, it's a trade off.
Warriors can.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Famitsu interview with YoshiP: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3gmu49/full_translation_of_naoki_yoshidas_interview_with/

Its cool that HW was so successful that pre-production on 4.0 isnt even question.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Stufoo posted:

50% of what?
Auto Attack damage.

Which is wrong, since AA's aren't 100 potency attacks to begin with. My bad.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

kafziel posted:

Warriors can.

Lol if you think a warrior is holding aggro by opening with path or eye

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
The easiest way to spot that i'm going to pull aggro is if I see a Warrior gain Maim 3 seconds into the fight.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I can't stop taking glamour shots of this drat cat

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
After wasting a bunch of time on FATEs because I'm too poor to afford fish. I got my summer stuff!

Swimsuits and yukatas! Also today is the day I reach trusted with a couple of beast tribes and I found the best mount in the game.

How can any other mount compare to this?

Now to finish up the Amalj'aa and the Ixals to complete all the reputation grind.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Sahagin Beast Tribe's Vendor sells Table Salt and Olive Oil for less than 10 gil a pop put together. The Popoto's are the only wrinkle to vendoring your way to tons of battered fish.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Sahagin Beast Tribe's Vendor sells Table Salt and Olive Oil for less than 10 gil a pop put together. The Popoto's are the only wrinkle to vendoring your way to tons of battered fish.
And they can be gathered by a level ~16 botanist, which should take an afternoon at most.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

KoB posted:

Famitsu interview with YoshiP: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3gmu49/full_translation_of_naoki_yoshidas_interview_with/

Its cool that HW was so successful that pre-production on 4.0 isnt even question.

This was the most interesting part to me in light of the discussion in this thread

quote:

Will you be adjusting the new jobs as well?
Y: Our biggest focus right now is adjusting Astrologian, which I think is also something players are very interested in.
Please tell us a bit more about how you see the current job balance.
Y: We've been continually looking over our players' feedback, and we made adjustments to the things we believed were the most urgent before the release of patch 3.05. However, in the particular case of Astrologian we felt that it would be too risky to do that without first looking at the job's performance in Alexander (savage). We are currently looking over play logs for Alexander (savage) and reading player feedback as we decide which changes to make.
There have been may requests regarding Astrologian's card system.
Y: I think the players' comments on the random factor are completely on point. However, the Astrologian's cards have the power to increase the party's strength as a whole. If they also had the same heal output as a White Mage or Scholar, then those two jobs would have nothing to offer to match the increase in party power. The two problems we are focusing on are the unreliability of the cards' RNG and Astrologian's lack of healing output compared to the other two jobs, however a single misstep could end up making the job overpowered, which is why this is taking so long. We apologize for making you all wait.
In order to keep things balanced, every time you increase something you have to reduce something else.
Y: Since Astologian can use two different healing stances, there is a risk that double Astrologians could become the optimal party makeup, which is something we absolutely wanted to avoid. If the top players progressing through savage found something we didn't think of, that allowed them to use Astrologian better, while we at the same time balanced it upward, then the job could have become overpowered. It pains us to force Astrologian mains to wait like this, but data collection should be over very soon. We will observe the situation for another 1-2 weeks, and then start carefully addressing players' concerns in a way that doesn't endanger the game's balance.
What about the other jobs?
Y: There are suspicions that tanks may be having a harder time holding threat than before, and we are looking into that. Level 60 DPS have largely increased attack power and we're worried that this might impose a heavier burden on tanks. In addition to that, other jobs may be adjusted as well. We are currently reviewing them based on what we see in Alexander (savage).
Astrologian aside, are there any major imbalances between jobs right now?
Y: Let's see... to take the example of Alexander (savage) floor 3, the fight has only been cleared by a few teams, but they mostly cleared it with the same party makeup they had started with. I don't think they ever felt that a particular job was preventing them from winning. Of course there are still small bumps here and there, and our goal from now on will be to even them out. Job tuning is an endless job, and we will keep reconsidering things as situations evolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Doublestep posted:

Lol if you think a warrior is holding aggro by opening with path or eye

I do it all the time but i don't raid on war so

• Locked thread