Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Zaxxon posted:

I have done this. Stability is a big issue if you are trying to use them to control pitched instruments. What does he want to know?

"Thanks, not so much pitch stuff, but a lot in the way of vcf's and vcas in a big non-linear feedback system. Do I need to be able to dial in a stable 442.4Hz? No. But I don't want it shifting too much. There's already a lot of non-linearity in the system and the idea behind the digital part is be fairly stable so as to better exploit the instability of the analog part. And sometimes make beats. Id' be interested to know what ic's he was using and what the stability issues were. Drift? Software communication, etc? Which forum are you on? Thanks!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

enotnert posted:

"Thanks, not so much pitch stuff, but a lot in the way of vcf's and vcas in a big non-linear feedback system. Do I need to be able to dial in a stable 442.4Hz? No. But I don't want it shifting too much. There's already a lot of non-linearity in the system and the idea behind the digital part is be fairly stable so as to better exploit the instability of the analog part. And sometimes make beats. Id' be interested to know what ic's he was using and what the stability issues were. Drift? Software communication, etc? Which forum are you on? Thanks!"

Sure, for clarity. I worked on a hybrid digital/analog synth with one of the dudes from rare-waves. we used a simple DAC running from an atmega32u4 to control a lot of aspects, it wasn't good enough to do the VCO pitch. But it's basically 10 or so channels of 10or12 bits of DAC run over SPI, It's great for opening up VCAs or VCFs if you don't need to tune them.

I'll have to look up the part number later.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
thanks, he might have, or get an account. . . he's a good guy to know in classical and experimental music. . . wouldn't mind having some of his knowledge up in this thread.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

enotnert posted:

thanks, he might have, or get an account. . . he's a good guy to know in classical and experimental music. . . wouldn't mind having some of his knowledge up in this thread.

it was a ROHM B2223-IFV. It's only an 8 bit dac (we were going for midi control so we didn't actually need more resolution) but they make 10 bit DACs. Off a single microcontroller you could easily run several of these to get 30 channels.

The serial interface is not exactly SPI, but it's really similar.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

enotnert posted:

tell ure ididot friend o grow up and use logic x like and adualt

fastbeef
Jul 29, 2015
is the kaossilator pro as much fun as it looks?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
no

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

fastbeef posted:

is the kaossilator pro as much fun as it looks?

i have one, it's a shitload of fun.

i'd rec spending money on the app before splurging on the machine though.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
im watching modular videos

this is probably not a good thing

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Tayter Swift posted:

im watching modular videos

this is probably not a good thing

most of them arent

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm most of the way to a modular synth already with all the semi-mod stuff I have (Microbrute, ms-20, analog 4 and shitloads of foogers and a cp251) so getting a modular has always been sort of inevitable anyway

maybe I'll start w the 1m and go from there

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

maybe I'll start w the 1m and go from there

get an intellijel atlantis instead

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

I just spend last night recording vocals for my friend with an AT2020 and stand mounted new vocal isolation shield and this morning getting the rough mixes together. Did it all in box with an 828mk2.

gently caress you modular fetishists, soft synth controllerism for life.

edit:

cv is for pussies without scala

Unless fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 16, 2015

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Unless posted:

I just spend last night recording vocals for my friend with an AT2020 and stand mounted new vocal isolation shield and this morning getting the rough mixes together. Did it all in box with an 828mk2.

edit:

Clean your room

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

Unless posted:

edit:

Does the mic pic up the fridge? Does it pick up your breathing if you're sitting right next to the vocalist? I'm sure it works fine, but inquiring minds and all that.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Mr. Glass posted:

get an intellijel atlantis instead

was thinking a pgh system 10.1+ which has 50ish hp left for other stuff but i havent done enough homework yet

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
i am having an abyss staring contest with eurorack and it looks like it's winning this time

all i wanted was a resonator filter and i signed up for modular grid and i started and before i knew it i clicked "add another row" and the counter was at $3500

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Unless posted:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

was thinking a pgh system 10.1+ which has 50ish hp left for other stuff but i havent done enough homework yet

you'll regret getting anything less than 6Ux84hp honestly

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
eurorack is nothing but a bunch of regret and gas afaik

I gotta really figure out what I want and go from there really, like I'm pretty sure I want an effect box for my brute and ms-20 so I think I want an maths, English tear and another adsr. But having another full synth voice w/ fm would be cool too so that 10.1+ would give me that and room for the maths and tear

but I'd also love a sequencer that can do ratcheting. Hm

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Schindler's Fist posted:

Does the mic pic up the fridge? Does it pick up your breathing if you're sitting right next to the vocalist? I'm sure it works fine, but inquiring minds and all that.

it's been really really clean so far, all depends on how much trim I give it along the 48v phantom. as far as ambient noise, it's been doing fine as i've been ~6ft away. directionality of it means it's really only going to capture what's in front of it. when we get to the end of a punch-in or verse and we talk back and forth before i hit stop on the record i can hear me in the distance when i talk, but not being a mouth-breather really helps to cut down on the sound.

as a condenser, it really does pick up a lot more than the sm58 and 57 i've normally used. definite improvement in dynamic range. as a studio mic capturing hip-hop/spoken word, i'm still going to process the vocals with a lil' eq and a de-esser, but the quality of the recording has made me happy. i read that it doesn't get as much of the low end and i find myself having to bump the 200-300 Hz range for the artist i'm working with now:

all around, though, when i'm doing my own singing and recording, it's been nice. the akg's look like a good step up, but for getting into it and making records of what i do live, i'm extremely satisfied.

$100 well spent

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
your mic does not have a low cut switch? because i see eq8 is doing that now

as for low end, http://www.uaudio.com/store/special-processing/little-labs-voice-of-god.html

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
did anyone get the Ming Mecca

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

did anyone get the Ming Mecca

i played with a prototype at the ahne meet for a bit and idgi. i like a lot of dumb loving poo poo, especially dumb modular poo poo but i feel like they shouldve made a good gaming platform first and then modularized it. its like odyssey-tier game mechanics. if you just want something to feed your lzx get a 2600jr or something

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

i picked this thing up for $10. . . only thing that doesn't work is the 3rd pedal from the left.

It's loud, nasty, and once I get to glitching the circuits, itsa gonna sound nasty

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

it's analog right? you could probably get CV inputs to it! or midi/CV

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Laserjet 4P posted:

i am having an abyss staring contest with eurorack and it looks like it's winning this time

all i wanted was a resonator filter and i signed up for modular grid and i started and before i knew it i clicked "add another row" and the counter was at $3500

buy a loving computer idiot.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

$3500 for something a computer can run 50 instances of nice job.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Computer audio is just not the same, clicking and dragging a virtual cable to a virtual socke-- oh someone posted a thing on twitter, and i just got a new email *6 hours later, the VST host crashes in the background behind 12 wikipdia tabs*

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
Got my midi gear set up

unfortunately the matrix's keyboard doesn't play nicely with the midi interface and/or live so I'm gonna have to find somewhere else to put it.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

going through settings menus on my a4 is tooootally different than going through settings menus on a pc

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Computer audio is just not the same, clicking and dragging a virtual cable to a virtual socke-- oh someone posted a thing on twitter, and i just got a new email *6 hours later, the VST host crashes in the background behind 12 wikipdia tabs*

yeah because analog audio gear is known for it's reliability

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

all gear is poo poo

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Amethyst posted:

yeah because analog audio gear is known for it's reliability

i'm sure this is a response to something, someone said somewhere but apparently it landed on my post instead.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

idk about procrastination thats ur issue but hwy are u suing VSTs when AUs exist.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

smh if u arnt on osx and also using logic pro.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
iPad is basically the closest I want to come to hardware, just turn off wifi if you're easily distracted but the app taking over the whole device is really helpful

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

all gear is poo poo

hail satan

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

turn of internet on your compute or Hackers might steal your beep boops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Dessert Rose posted:

just turn off wifi if you're easily distracted

aslso works on a computer! !!!

• Locked thread