Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lessail posted:

Has there been no thought bubble for Berg Katze so far?

Have any of the alien members of our cast ?

I think Paiman and maybe OD have had them. Katze is a special case, for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lessail posted:

Has there been no thought bubble for Berg Katze so far?

Have any of the alien members of our cast ?

I'm pretty sure O.D and Paiman have had bubbles.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

dogsicle posted:

Insight maybe less so (school here taught civics in middle school, obv can't speak for Japan) but they definitely use social media and can encounter cyber bullying, so i'm sure the ideas in Crowds wouldn't be lost on them

[Insert gif of Rui being viciously and bloodily beaten here]

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rui's slide into irrelevance has been kind of heartbreaking this season. I wonder if he's going to be able to cling to that idealism til the end or if it will eventually be tempered by reality. I see Jou as kind of a potential future for him (like, the bad, bitter future that he should probably avoid lol) , and like the comment earlier that someone said they work as a set.

Drunk Sugayama was :3:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sugayama is a fascinating character. As a foil to Gel, he has to be weak and petty, yet at the same time, this is a career politician who has never lost his core idealism.

Perhaps Sugayama is a personification of the failed promises and ideals of the Japanese political system. He is not a bad person, he has just failed to capture the imagination of the public and ends up being swept aside by pure populism. This story is more relevant to Japan's all-consuming LDP bloc, and cannot be told in more partisan countries.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Sugayama is a fascinating character. As a foil to Gel, he has to be weak and petty, yet at the same time, this is a career politician who has never lost his core idealism.

I like Sugayama a lot for basically the same reason, and I think overall he's shown somewhat sympathetically and probably as a decent enough option. He's not thrown up as some total ideal, given that he is still in some (as far as we know mild) ways corrupt and has a case of foot-in-mouth disease, but it's clear that he tries to do what he thinks is best for the people and does understand them. The fact that he actually did put his neck on the line for the general election and tries to help Gel speaks well for him. Hell, even the general populace really didn't have a problem with him, and his gaffes would have blown over under normal circumstances.

Of course, I'm also approaching this, as I assume a lot of others here are, through the lens of terrible American politics. Thinking about it, Sugayama actually reminds me of something Obama said after the ACA was upheld most recently. Sugayama is a reminder of why good people go into politics.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 10, 2015

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i like the part where the former prime minister is drinking his problems away after people he thought were friends unseated him, and they come to him for advice

lol

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sugayama misunderestimated them.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Condiv posted:

i like the part where the former prime minister is drinking his problems away after people he thought were friends unseated him, and they come to him for advice

lol

and he gladly helped them :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
He needs a spot on the Millione show. :3:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Condiv posted:

lol

Naw, the Gatchamen aren't a monolithic bloc. Rui and Hajime are firmly on his side, while Jou and Tsubasa were against him. Sugane might have a huge mancrush on Jou, but he's somewhat more neutral. OD was also somewhat neutral.

Paipai and Utsutsu made up their own bloc and hosed around doing their own poo poo.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

He needs a spot on the Millione show. :3:

nah, keep him away from that shady pumpkin

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Get rid of the shady pumpkin and make it the OD and Sugayama show.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Utsutsu has hardly done anything yet this season and that is sad to me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This show is bizarre.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That said, I want to have sex with Tsubasa :D

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Blhue posted:

She's depressed, as usual.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Blhue posted:

So would you say you're blhue-shimasu?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Condiv posted:

lol

It seemed more like he was relaxing for the first time in years rather than drinking his sorrows away. Dude don't give a drat. Friends need advice? Given. Cup has booze? Drunk.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't know if anyone else was going to say it, so I will - it feels meaningful that the Gel Salute as an emblem of "togetherness" actively rejects both the V sign and Hajime's scissor hands.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Caphi posted:

I don't know if anyone else was going to say it, so I will - it feels meaningful that the Gel Salute as an emblem of "togetherness" actively rejects both the V sign and Hajime's scissor hands.

Yeah I liked the shot of Gel shoving Hajime's fingers together.

Federal Preserves
Jun 30, 2011

Or is it right?

Senerio posted:

Yeah I liked the shot of Gel shoving Hajime's fingers together.

Caphi posted:

I can't believe I just realized this. Hajime's snapping scissor sign makes perfect sense given her apparent leaning towards the idea that conflict can be constructive. And Gel has no choice but to break togetherness and conflict with Hajime in order to attain togetherness, proving her point.

Unless he's going more for majority suppresses the minority, which will be going full blown fascism as an earlier post described, and might lead to a more interesting result. What does he do when there's a 50/50 split??

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Left posted:

Unless he's going more for majority suppresses the minority, which will be going full blown fascism as an earlier post described, and might lead to a more interesting result. What does he do when there's a 50/50 split??

He says Gelululu and kicks everyones rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gerurururu*

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Caught this on a tumblr I follow:

Hajime keeps her own time.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I wonder how Gel is gonna "prohibit" CROWDS use, considering its monitored by X who is under Rui's control. The only true way would be to take away Rui's NOTE... which is also his soul.

For that matter, is there anyway to identify x CROWD is y, other then cube it and then look for the unconcious person?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Senerio posted:

Caught this on a tumblr I follow:

Hajime keeps her own time.

I think Gel even notices and gives her a look.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

I think Gel even notices and gives her a look.

She was being so shady.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Conot posted:

I wonder how Gel is gonna "prohibit" CROWDS use, considering its monitored by X who is under Rui's control. The only true way would be to take away Rui's NOTE... which is also his soul.

For that matter, is there anyway to identify x CROWD is y, other then cube it and then look for the unconcious person?

Tell Rui to switch off X and stop giving CROWDS to people? He'd hate it, but he's got enough integrity that he wouldn't refuse.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I liked the first season, and I'm liking this one so far. They're taking the "visitor from skies comes saves us all" concept and running with it in absurd, full throttle.

I mean, we just gotta accept that all those politicians saw no problem with letting anyone, not even one of their countrymen/women become the leader of their nation. Guess they didn't saw what happened in the USA with that nigerian sleeper agent! :v:

Darth Walrus posted:

Tell Rui to switch off X and stop giving CROWDS to people? He'd hate it, but he's got enough integrity that he wouldn't refuse.

I guess we'll see in the next episode. Remember, elections are now done via GALAX, which in turn is controlled by Rui, who might still believe in the CROWDS enough to try and interfere with the people's choice.

I at least see him turning it into a 50/50 split, so the decision gets shelved for a little while. And it would be interesting to see what Gel does when there's no majority to guide his actions.

If anything, it would lead to Rui giving up control of GALAX to the goverment/Gel, which will be a bad idea if it turns out he's evil. The CROWDS can be mischievous and a bit dangerous when out of control, but an AI that controls vital parts of the government and it's unmatched anywhere in the world? That's the real dangerous weapon.

Phobophilia posted:

Perhaps Sugayama is a personification of the failed promises and ideals of the Japanese political system. He is not a bad person, he has just failed to capture the imagination of the public and ends up being swept aside by pure populism. This story is more relevant to Japan's all-consuming LDP bloc, and cannot be told in more partisan countries.

He seems more of an administrator than a leader, like he was great at keeping the government functioning, but wasn't savvy enough to get political support from other members of parliament, and couldn't deal with the CROWDS in S1 until the Gatchaman team appeared out of the sky to solve that problem for him.

Gel in the other hand is great at getting support from the people, but being a leader is not only about being popular, but also about taking and acting on unpopular decisions because those are what's needed to solve a problem.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

We already know CROWDs use was shut down and Rui didn't try to interfere. I dont think he'll try to do anything in regards to GALAX but I'm guessing X is going to go "gently caress that I'm not gonna work if people are going to use me like this", which will freak people out since they depend so much on it. It'll be interesting to see something like that happened because its easier to otherize an AI that isnt really human and see how Gel/Tsubaba would react to it given the last episode confrontation with the granddad.

Plus if they confiscate Rui's note to stop potential CROWDs use and Rizumu thinks that Gel is worse than the Crowds then it can lead to him using his note in conjunction with X to spread red crowds around. Then it'll be red loving everywhere.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Stop giving out CROWDS, I could see him doing out of integrity, but turn off X? No chance. Bear in mind you're not just talking about a computer system that handles GALAX, but Rui's only real friend till he hooked up with the GATCHA. His co-conspirator in his ideological pursuits.

Removing X from Rui's life would be akin to ripping out his heart, IMO.

(Plus, X is a (from what we've seen) fully-sentient AI, I doubt trying to pull the plug on him would go well)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Our new alien leader has disbanded most of the government and assumed sole control of the country :yayclod:. This is going to spiral marvelously down the drain, it's going to be great.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I started watching this and Sakurazuka I just want you to tell me one thing: How the heck does Hajime intensify when she's already at 100% all the time?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Kylra posted:

I started watching this and Sakurazuka I just want you to tell me one thing: How the heck does Hajime intensify when she's already at 100% all the time?

Gatcha!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kylra posted:

She gets to 200% obvs

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
She taps into the energy reserves in her boobs. :v:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Who's excited for the new ep tomorrow????

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

In Training posted:

Who's excited for the new ep tomorrow????

Gatchaaaa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

.jpg posted:

Gatchaaaa!

• Locked thread