Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The gently caress is this. What conspiracy did Darwin and Dickens participate in? Is this A Thing!?

I'm sure it's just something they made up. Of course extremely historically accurate video game series "Assassin's Creed" might be finally blowing the lid off this conspiracy :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

The Taint Reaper posted:

So either that's a pricing error or the new world of warcraft super deluxe expansion edition is over 100 bucks.

As a collector of fine ultra huge game boxes this outrages and angers me.

Also it's literally just TBC again! They even have illidan on the box, they also stated that everything in TBC was just stdh.txt. You see you didn't kill any of those guys all those years ago they all came back to life in some form, yes lets call everything setbacks! Also they seem to be proudly announcing that you will have to grind for everything interesting mentioned in this game, it's a feature!

Blizzard just release Warcraft 4 already, stop killing the franchise with poo poo like this. Give me my orcs without all thise Vanilla Diablo 3 bullshit and fire that guy who made diablo 3 out of a cannon.

The franchise is turning into a yearly Activision cashgrab and its extremely obvious with Legion. WoD sold like gangbusters to old farts that are nostalgic for orcs, and Legion will probably sell just as well to people who have a hard on for the old elf storylines. They don't even have to worry about people actually playing the game and paying subs if they can sell enough expansions.

Next year I'm sure they'll be rehashing a new Lich King expansion.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

is there poppin synth? cuz that's literally all that matters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pbzUBg_AjY

this is the musician they have on

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

I kind of don't like this trailer because it gives away too much story I think. Also i'm stupid enough to unironically enjoy the poo poo of of MGS' story so that matters to me.

The weird thing about Phantom Pain is that you already know the ultimate fate of Big Boss and Outer Heaven so it's a story that's already spoiled itself.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm sure it's just something they made up. Of course extremely historically accurate video game series "Assassin's Creed" might be finally blowing the lid off this conspiracy :tinfoil:

Man, AC2 at least based its stuff off actual conspiracies and weird events, like the Tunguska explosion and whatever. This franchise needs to die so we can make new historical video games that aren't buggy open-world messes.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Broseph Brostar posted:

The franchise is turning into a yearly Activision cashgrab and its extremely obvious with Legion. WoD sold like gangbusters to old farts that are nostalgic for orcs, and Legion will probably sell just as well to people who have a hard on for the old elf storylines. They don't even have to worry about people actually playing the game and paying subs if they can sell enough expansions.

Next year I'm sure they'll be rehashing a new Lich King expansion.

Draenor was the second TBC themed expansion, legion is the third.

they're appealing to the same people. I just hope it blows up in their face like vanilla diablo or Starcraft HOTS because only then do they make good games.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

The Taint Reaper posted:

they're appealing to the same people. I just hope it blows up in their face like vanilla diablo or Starcraft HOTS because only then do they make good games.

And yet Dalaran and Vurkill are in Legion too, so they are trying to grab LK stuff as well.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Most of it is focused on dragging the Illidan fangirls back to the game by making him the major figure in the expansion and introducing his class as playable complete with doing a elf flippy jump on command.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Despite the fact that they bitch and moan about everything, wowplayers are the easiest fans to appease on a basic level. It's like crack but with the added sunk cost fallacy.

theultimo posted:

And yet Dalaran and Vurkill are in Legion too, so they are trying to grab LK stuff as well.

It's probably just for the setup to the next LK themed expansion, they did the same thing in WoD setting up Legion.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

they're appealing to the same people. I just hope it blows up in their face like vanilla diablo or Starcraft HOTS because only then do they make not-awful games.

Ftfy m8

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

theultimo posted:

It sounds like it's going to be a clusterfuck of awful.

Are they at least leaving WOTLK Dalaran alone? Because I always liked flying around the wotlk areas and Crystalsong/Dalaran was always one of my favorites.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The last two WoW xpacs both lampshaded the notion that nothing the players do matters and they'll just keep fighting the same battles against the same foes over and over again. WoW is settling into its stagnating, core population retirement phase, a thing that happens to every single MMO, it's just done so on a longer timeline and from a larger peak success than any other game in the genre.

They'll still be releasing xpacs 10 years from now that the rest of us won't even talk about. This isn't a catastrophic meltdown, it's an inevitable conclusion.

Fun fact: Everquest released its 21st expansion pack last October.

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 11, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

WoW is just gonna bide their time until their financial analysts say that going F2P will be more cost effective, at which point it will become F2P and everybody will be talking about the sudden miraculous resurgence of WoW again as they continue to make the same profit margins as before the switch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

WoW's playerbase decline is inevitable and if you look at the overall trend in subscriptions you'll see that WoD's goodness or non-goodness did nothing in the long run to change that besides giving them a surge of subscriptions when it was released, hence why Blizzard is going to release expansions more frequently now. There's only so much you can do in this game.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Fun fact: Everquest released its 21st expansion pack last October.

What can there be left to add after 21 expansions?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BottledBodhisvata posted:

What can there be left to add after 21 expansions?

Level cap increase to 105.
Eight new zones, including Thuliasaur Island and Combine Dredge.
Mount Key Ring - Easier access to all obtained mounts from a single interface.
New missions and quests, including six new Heroic Adventures and seven new raids.
New tradeskills, spells, AAs, and items.

they added mounts to the game in 2001; apparently it only took 13 years to develop a single easy access interface for selecting them

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

why the gently caress are people talking about the worst game in here :wtc:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Great Joe posted:

no one's talking about Dark Souls

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Great Joe posted:

That's funny, I didn't realize people were discussing a new expansion for some game about cars or something, probably Gran Turismo or Gran Turismo 2 or Gran Turismo 3 or Gran Turismo Pocket.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People talking about the declining playerbase of wow as if it's some kind of fall of Rome comeuppance is stupid to me. They made a bazillion dollars and then found out it's not actually possible to make people play the same game forever. Ok.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Lurdiak posted:

They made a bazillion dollars and then found out it's not actually possible to make people play the same game forever. Ok.
you know there will be a lot of people playing wow until they turn off the servers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Awesome! posted:

you know there will be a lot of people playing wow until they turn off the servers.

I obviously meant you can't make enough people to turn a sizeable profit play the same game forever.

E: bad grammar

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

People talking about the declining playerbase of wow as if it's some kind of fall of Rome comeuppance is stupid to me. They made a bazillion dollars and then found out it's not actually possible to make people play the same game forever. Ok.

No it's just that after wow stagnates there's like nothing new on the MMO horizon.

there's nothing pushing the genre in a direction that spurs innovation or new franchises.

That and they might finally make warcraft 4 once Wow fully stagnates.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm sure the World of Warcraft movie will the box office smash and cultural tour de force needed to revitalize the game and ceate an entire new generation of players.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I'm convinced that all you need to do to convince gamers that someone is a good guy make them somewhat funny and charismatic. First it was people saying that they wanted to hang out and ally themselves with Pagan Min, a despot. While the people you are forced to ally with are poo poo, there is no way I would really want to hang out with Pagan Min.

The other is Handsome Jack, who I hear people are saying is not really the bad guy despite him doing some pretty awful things in the pre-sequel and clearly being in it for the power.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Lurdiak posted:

I obviously meant you can't make enough people to turn a sizeable profit play the same game forever.

maybe they can

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Taint Reaper posted:

No it's just that after wow stagnates there's like nothing new on the MMO horizon.

there's nothing pushing the genre in a direction that spurs innovation or new franchises.

That and they might finally make warcraft 4 once Wow fully stagnates.

Well EverQuest Next has spent the past five years doing the Star Citizen/Duke Nukem Forever thing of promising everything under the sun as it comes along, if it ever actually does come out and has even half the crazy poo poo they've promised it will be pretty new.

blackguy32 posted:

I'm convinced that all you need to do to convince gamers that someone is a good guy make them somewhat funny and charismatic. First it was people saying that they wanted to hang out and ally themselves with Pagan Min, a despot. While the people you are forced to ally with are poo poo, there is no way I would really want to hang out with Pagan Min.

The other is Handsome Jack, who I hear people are saying is not really the bad guy despite him doing some pretty awful things in the pre-sequel and clearly being in it for the power.

You're complaining that people like likable characters?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Quest For Glory II posted:

no one's talking about Dark Souls

This forum is troll free.

And ya whatever phenomenon you're talking about with charisma trumping morality, whether or not it's a bad thing, is in no way exclusive or unique to games and gamers. Think about how massively popular characters like Darth Vader, The Joker, and Hannibal Lecter are. The Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th movie franchises basically made Freddy and Jason the protagonists after 2 or 3 movies because they were more interesting and fun characters than any of their interchangeable teenage victims.

Baku fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 12, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
maybe MMOs will take a well deserved break for a decade or so

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Help me fellows! What should I play tonight from the beginning, Shadowrun Returns or Invisible Inc?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut

Also what, Illidan is a major character? He's dead :psyduck:

(please do not explain, I don't want to know)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ciaphas posted:

Help me fellows! What should I play tonight from the beginning, Shadowrun Returns or Invisible Inc?

Invisible Inc is much more immediately entertaining, whereas Shadowrun has kind of a slow start and takes a while to get good.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Melon Run in the sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Xqn3Jlpco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrM6KbHgU-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnVDGnIGl3w

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

This seriously looks like some sort of garbage action game, especially when you compare it to the new Metal gear and the upcoming Tomb Raider game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

A multiplayer game coming to the PC where I can run around with a SCAR and a katana, calling in airstrikes and delivering watermelons?

Yeah I'm playing that.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I look forward to playing wow a decade from now, when people have stopped caring about it so much and it has a chance to loop back around.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

No Such Thing posted:

I look forward to playing wow a decade from now, when people have stopped caring about it so much and it has a chance to loop back around.

it's profits have already been eclipsed by Heroes of the Storm and Hearthstone.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

it's profits have already been eclipsed by Heroes of the Storm and Hearthstone.

and Overwatch, soon, i imagine.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's funny, I didn't realize people were discussing a new expansion for some game about cars or something, probably Gran Turismo or Gran Turismo 2 or Gran Turismo 3 or Gran Turismo Pocket.
okay fine, second-worst game

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

victrix posted:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut

Also what, Illidan is a major character? He's dead :psyduck:

(please do not explain, I don't want to know)

I'll explain real quick, magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dragonfall has a literal Social Justice Troll

• Locked thread