Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's super good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

It's a pity Slow West didn't get a wide release and has been seen by essentially no one

No one cares about Westerns anymore :(

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yaws posted:

It's a pity Slow West didn't get a wide release and has been seen by essentially no one

it's exactly the kind of western i'd like to see more of, too. 90 minutes, weird and colorful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know I mentioned it in the last thread but I'm gonna throw this out there again since I recently rewatched it:

Computer Chess. It's like... it's a really weird loving movie. Basically it's like Richard Linklater made a documentary in 1981 about a computer convention. I mean it even has Wiley Wiggins in it. Just watch it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To counter that, I loving despised Computer Chess. Don't watch it,

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I really dug Computer Chess, but feel like I might have hated it if I caught it at the wrong time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

axleblaze posted:

To counter that, I loving despised Computer Chess. Don't watch it,

To counter that, any movie which produces such a polarizing opinion is essential viewing. See: Detention. :colbert:

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

axleblaze posted:

Overnight is on Youtube and yeah, it's really good and the most schadenfreude film there is.

Even ignoring absolutely everything else about the guy, "Troy Duffy" is just about the d-baggiest name in existence. Dude was cursed from birth. Never had a chance.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I just thought Computer Chess was kinda boring

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hat Thoughts posted:

I just thought Computer Chess was kinda boring

I can see that, but there is just so much earnest weirdness in it, even (perhaps especially) outside the actual computer nerds. It's just one of the most baffling films I've ever seen, and in ways that I think make it interesting. I'd almost compare it to Upstream Color in that way, though it's obviously not nearly as good as all THAT.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

axleblaze posted:

Overnight is on Youtube and yeah, it's really good and the most schadenfreude film there is.

My absolute favorite part of this is how terrible of a guitar player Troy is.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's exactly the kind of western i'd like to see more of, too. 90 minutes, weird and colorful.

I knew nothing about this movie and 'cause it was called Slow West, I was picturing like a 3 hour slog. If it's around 90 minutes, I'll have to check it out.

Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with long, slow movies, I just have to be in a certain mood for them.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I know I mentioned it in the last thread but I'm gonna throw this out there again since I recently rewatched it:

Computer Chess. It's like... it's a really weird loving movie. Basically it's like Richard Linklater made a documentary in 1981 about a computer convention. I mean it even has Wiley Wiggins in it. Just watch it.

Tastes vary, and it is an extremely idiosyncratic film, but Computer Chess was my favorite movie of that year and I give it the highest recommendation. I even shelled out for the Blu-Ray and watched it back to back with two different audio commentary tracks, the first by one of the original programmers of the Deep Blue computer chess program, and the second by a man identified only as "an enthusiastic stoner." The latter recorded his commentary track during his first viewing of the film.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

precision posted:

To counter that, any movie which produces such a polarizing opinion is essential viewing. See: Detention. :colbert:

I did not care for Detention

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I still don't quite why people reacted so viscerally to Compy Chess.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I still don't quite why people reacted so viscerally to Compy Chess.

I just found it kind of painful to sit through. Like it was a combination of it not being funny and also being really cringe worthy while also not really having an interest in it's subject other than half-heartedly mocking it but not even dong a very good job of that. It was just nails on a chalkboard for me.

Looking throught the review thread this is what I said when I actually watched it
"I just found this movie completely boring and just sort of ugly. I guess it was accurate to these type of people but these type of people aren't very interesting, or funny and I didn't have a good time hanging around them. It's also a movie where nothing seems to go anywhere. It's a bunch of strands that don't reach anything. They're just sort of introduced and nothing really happens. In general it comes off as just trying to be so god damned clever and it's just not. It doesn't really say anything that Battleship doesn't and Battleship said it way better. "

It should be noted that I don't even like Battleship all that much.

I guess in the end it just comes down to there nothing being worse than an unfunny comedy. I understand some people found this funny but it just didn't manage to even slightly amuse me at pretty much any point so the whole thing was just a horrible slog from beginning to end.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 12, 2015

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Westerns, I watched two in the last few days that were pretty solid , both on Netflix:

Sweetwater has great set pieces, January Jones, a surprisingly excellent villain turn by Jason Isaacs of all people, and Ed Harris doing his best Billy Bob Thornton impression. It should be a fine little western, but I thought the pacing was uneven enough to be distracting. My wife didn't see the pacing as an issue so maybe it's just me. The cinematography makes it worth watching regardless.

Blackthorn again has a wonderful setting (Bolivia) & set pieces, a clever idea, and solid performances. Of the two, I liked this one better. Old Sam Shepard kind of rules as a grizzled old outlaw and It's also got Stephen Rea in it, who's reliably fantastic though a little underused.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Yaws posted:

Westerns as a recognizable genre to compare to what they used to be, are dead. Clint Eastwood and his career managed to encompass and signify the shift of westerns as a whole, and Unforgiven was the last movie that can honestly be called a western. Even remakes such as True Grit are revisionist westerns now, and the non-ironic low budget cowboy movies you see now and then who try to ape the tropes of pre-revisionist western film, fail miserably largely because they are so straight-faced that they're hard to watch.

The issue with westerns is that almost everyone knows a lot more of the truth now, there's not much romance in the material left to be distilled on film. I'd love to see a remake of Jeremiah Johnson, for instance... Now that they wouldn't be able to avoid the truth of the character https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver-Eating_Johnson I'm not sure how you could really make a watchable movie out of it.

I don't think it's really that people don't care about the west, it's just that they care differently about it then we did as a society, once upon a time. Ravenous would be a prime example of a modern "Western" for instance, where the depravity and misery and desperation are all brought to the fore, as much as the scenery and the six shooters.

I think Eastwood's best western ever was right after he quit doing Rawhide, and began to lash out at the genre tropes he was so tired of - Paint Your Wagons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3dhHBhWnBY

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 12, 2015

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

coyo7e posted:

I don't think it's really that people don't care about the west, it's just that they care differently about it then we did as a society, once upon a time. Ravenous would be a prime example of a modern "Western" for instance, where the depravity and misery and desperation are all brought to the fore, as much as the scenery and the six shooters.

Ravenous owns, and it's on Netflix. It's a weird genre-hopping movie that touches on Westerns, horror, and dark comedy. Definitely a good watch if that sounds intriguing to anyone. And the soundtrack kicks rear end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-KLn_PgQg

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Westerns as a recognizable genre to compare to what they used to be, are dead. Clint Eastwood and his career managed to encompass and signify the shift of westerns as a whole, and Unforgiven was the last movie that can honestly be called a western. Even remakes such as True Grit are revisionist westerns now, and the non-ironic low budget cowboy movies you see now and then who try to ape the tropes of pre-revisionist western film, fail miserably largely because they are so straight-faced that they're hard to watch.

The Western/Revisionist Western and Noir/Neo-Noir labels seem mostly pointless to me but if you're going to use them I don't know how you can claim that Unforgiven is a classic Western

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I totally forgot they made a Wing Commander movie starring in the moment 90's teen movie heart throbs. What a weird thing to exist. I might have to watch it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

I totally forgot they made a Wing Commander movie starring in the moment 90's teen movie heart throbs. What a weird thing to exist. I might have to watch it.

Yea I'm feeling the same way but I haven't yet figured out what extremely potent drug/alcohol cocktail will be most helpful in seeing me though the experience.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm feeling the same way but I haven't yet figured out what extremely potent drug/alcohol cocktail will be most helpful in seeing me though the experience.

Half a bottle of whisky and half of opiates.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

(Computer Chess) not really having an interest in it's subject

Not that this would make you personally enjoy the film any more, but the Deep Blue programmer consistently remarked on the film's accuracy with regards to the computer chess convention scene of the time period, the programming issues, the personalities, and the kinds of debates and discussions that would have been had by the participants. He even thought the neighboring convention with the religious elements reminded him of the "encounter" type movements of the time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Interesting that you bring up another Guy Pierce film because The Proposition is one that I'd consider a modern Western, it just happens to not take place in the American west.

For me the only "true" Westerns were made during the time of Ford and Wayne, that's when there was at least some romance left in the idea of the West. Ford and Wayne also made what could be considered the first revisionist Western, The Searchers, really the genre begins and ends with them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

AKMoose posted:

Not that this would make you personally enjoy the film any more, but the Deep Blue programmer consistently remarked on the film's accuracy with regards to the computer chess convention scene of the time period, the programming issues, the personalities, and the kinds of debates and discussions that would have been had by the participants. He even thought the neighboring convention with the religious elements reminded him of the "encounter" type movements of the time.

I mean more that the movie just doesn't seem all that interested in the thing it's about. It just seems to find computers boring and computer conventions boring. I mean, to most people, yeah they are, but not to the people attending these things. If you looks at something like one of the Guest mockumentaries, he tends to take something silly or banal and while mocking it, really also shows the characters passion for the thing. In computer chess, everyone just seems to bored to be there and bored by programming.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Computer Chess was cute enough but its thing about the irreducability of human behavior fell flat for me because although I'm no expert the idea of two different chess playing programs consistently coming to a draw I didn't really find mind-blowing or even strange at all? I guess it seemed like just another movie that argues for the existence of a soul or a self or free will only because the alternative is too scary.

(edit: played it safe, added spoiler tags)

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 12, 2015

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I could stump for the movie all day, but my goal is to encourage newcomers to give it a spin (it's only 90 minutes) and not to reverse existing opinions. Honestly, I'm just tickled it found enough viewers in this thread to be polarizing.

I cannot resist a few nits, though--I like Guest, but, aside from the framing in the first 10 minutes or so, the movie doesn't even really attempt to be a documentary or mockumentary, especially as it slides into the personal (such as the swinger couple trying to get a threesome with one of the computer programmers) or the surreal (the sentient computer, the robot hooker...). As to the second poster above, the tournament had a clear winner, not sure what the "consistent draw" element you are referring to is, and it's certainly not the thesis of the film.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I finally watched The Warriors. It didn't blow me away, but I can see how it developed such a strong following. It has a very unique style.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

I finally watched The Warriors. It didn't blow me away, but I can see how it developed such a strong following. It has a very unique style.

I recently watched it as a double bill with John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 and the two paired quite nicely.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I don't understand people watching two completely unrelated films as a double bill. This is a phenomenon I've witnessed in this thread/forum and nowhere else ever.

This isn't meant as a criticism necessarily.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I don't understand people watching two completely unrelated films as a double bill. This is a phenomenon I've witnessed in this thread/forum and nowhere else ever.

This isn't meant as a criticism necessarily.

You've never watched two movies in a row?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I will say this about Computer Chess, as I said I loved it, but I didn't find it funny nor did I think it was intended to be funny, so that's a weird complaint to me.

For me the appeal was that the whole thing was like a surreal fever dream of real events.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

AKMoose posted:

I recently watched it as a double bill with John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 and the two paired quite nicely.

I was actually thinking of Assault while posting about Warriors! I didn't think anyone else would feel the similarity though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I think it's to take the sting out of having nothing better to do than two watch movies back to back.

I'm watching Wing Commander right now and it is gloriously dumb. It's like Starship Troopers but space fighter pilots, played with a straight face and 90s as all gently caress. The 'push the fighter wreck off the deck so it falls off into loving open space' scene was better than I could ever have imagined.

fake edit: gently caress, beaten

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

You've never watched two movies in a row?

I've watched two films in a row many times. Maybe I should develop the thought further to say that taking two films, which have very little in common (most of the examples in this thread, for instance), watching them, then telling people they pair well as if it means something.

Every time I see it I remember the posts from years ago whenever someone posted a gif and someone else saw it and then said it goes well with (this song), only not as irritating.

Sorry everyone I'm not having a pop I just wondered why it happens.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit:^^^^ It happens because the idea of the "double bill" is a time-honored cinematic thing (especially if you ever went to drive-ins) so it's just... something people do :shrug:

I've avoided watching Wing Commander this long. I think I'm finally ready.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Chichevache posted:

People in here were talking a few weeks ago about the Netflix version being the director's cut or whatever that had the comic book transitions. But I watched it since then and it didn't have them. The version I have on disc does have the transitions though, and they do feel out of place so it's nice that the Netflix version is missing them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

NESguerilla posted:

I saw that in the theater when I was on Vicodin from a nasty back injury. It was one of the most surreal experiences of my life with the pain and the drugs and the awful movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I've watched two films in a row many times. Maybe I should develop the thought further to say that taking two films, which have very little in common (most of the examples in this thread, for instance), watching them, then telling people they pair well as if it means something.

The whole point of suggesting a double bill is to encourage you to think about one film in terms of another. Obviously you don't need to be told to watch Back To The Future I and II back to back.

wa27 posted:

People in here were talking a few weeks ago about the Netflix version being the director's cut or whatever that had the comic book transitions. But I watched it since then and it didn't have them. The version I have on disc does have the transitions though, and they do feel out of place so it's nice that the Netflix version is missing them.

What's nice is that Netflix actually had that version up for a long while, and then they swapped it out.