Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

AKMoose posted:

I recently watched it as a double bill with John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 and the two paired quite nicely.

Now watch Ghosts of Mars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I've watched two films in a row many times. Maybe I should develop the thought further to say that taking two films, which have very little in common (most of the examples in this thread, for instance), watching them, then telling people they pair well as if it means something.

Every time I see it I remember the posts from years ago whenever someone posted a gif and someone else saw it and then said it goes well with (this song), only not as irritating.

Sorry everyone I'm not having a pop I just wondered why it happens.

Most, if not all, of the double bills floated here are suggested because there is something about the two movies that are similar, but they're not the same. Assault on Precinct 13 and The Warriors share a similar visual style, and are about surrounded groups holding out as best they can over the course of one night.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The whole point of suggesting a double bill is to encourage you to think about one film in terms of another.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
So, could someone take a stab at enumerating some iconic double bills? Direct sequels or movies in a shared universe are probably sort of trivial examples but what about two different movies that make watching both more than the sum of the individual experience?

Failsafe and Dr. Strangelove comes immediately to mind but what are some others?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Most, if not all, of the double bills floated here are suggested because there is something about the two movies that are similar, but they're not the same. Assault on Precinct 13 and The Warriors share a similar visual style, and are about surrounded groups holding out as best they can over the course of one night.

Another pairing I quite enjoy is Robocop 2014 and Chappie. Both about police robots and humanity, but from opposite directions. Or Clueless and Heathers, about depth and vapidity among in- and outgroups. There are a ton of good pairings like that and dismissing them because they aren't directly call-and-response deals feels silly.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Blackhawk Down and Battle: Los Angeles
The Last Samurai and Star Wars

Simplex fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 12, 2015

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Murgos posted:

So, could someone take a stab at enumerating some iconic double bills? Direct sequels or movies in a shared universe are probably sort of trivial examples but what about two different movies that make watching both more than the sum of the individual experience?

Failsafe and Dr. Strangelove comes immediately to mind but what are some others?

This is closer to what I meant than what I actually said!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Just in the last few years I've had fun with Whiplash/Birdman and Under The Skin/Lucy.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

Under The Skin/Lucy.

See now you're just making things up

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

stickyfngrdboy posted:

See now you're just making things up

Lucy is Under The Skin in reverse, with more car chases

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

Lucy is Under The Skin in reverse, with more car chases

By which you mean terrible

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Nice edit!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Simplex posted:

The Last Samurai and Star Wars

Hidden Fortress would be more apt.

Edminster posted:

Another pairing I quite enjoy is Robocop 2014 and Chappie.

In that they're both terrible films, yes. (Actually, I liked about 1/3 of Chappie, I guess)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Its fun to watch a Kurosawa film and then the Western that it inspired. Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars and Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven being the primary examples.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Hidden Fortress / Star Wars a new hope!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Hidden Fortress / Star Wars a new hope!

Dude I literally just said that two posts above you.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The Ice Harvest / A Simple Plan
Dog Tooth / We Are What We Are
Microcosmos / Samsara

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

Dog Tooth / We Are What We Are

That's a really good one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do this kind of thing constantly during October with horror movies, so that's almost like cheating.

My go-to double features are:

From Beyond/Re-Animator
Planet of the Vampires/Alien
Halloween/Black Christmas
Halloween III/Trick R Treat
The Fog/Prince of Darkness
Friday the 13th/Twitch of the Death Nerve

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Whiplash/Blackswan
VHS/Under The Skin
The Babadook/Rosemary's Baby
Exit Through The Gift Shop/F is for Fake
The Imposter/The Woman Who Wasn't There
The Catechism Cataclysm/The Devil Inside/Prometheus
Jacob's Ladder/The Oregonian/Enter The Void

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Halloween III/Trick R Treat

I don't get this one at all?

Why not go with another horror anthology, like Creepshow (which also has a comic book style)?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Halloween III is a kid's version of Videodrome.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Halloween III is a kid's version of Videodrome.

That would be a good double feature.

Also Night of the Creeps and Slither.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Wayne's World/Gremlins 2

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would do Gremlins 2 and TCM 2.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: Airheads and Gremlins 2

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I don't get this one at all?

Why not go with another horror anthology, like Creepshow (which also has a comic book style)?

Halloween III's plot involves a company that manufactures Halloween masks for kids, its one of those movies that feels like it should actually be watched on Halloween night. I feel the same way about Trick R Treat, its all about Halloween traditions.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

I would do Gremlins 2 and TCM 2.

Same, and bonus points if you've never seen the originals somehow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Franchescanado posted:

Counterpoint: Airheads and Gremlins 2

Airheads and Tapeheads

In that order :getin:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Or Gremlins 2 and Howling 2, for the Joe Dante connection.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Zombi 2 aka Zombie / Dawn of the Dead (original)

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Additionally, I just wanted complimentary films, and two late '70s urban action films flowed well. (Indeed, the first Google hit for both of these movies in the same search is someone calling them "cinematic soulmates," so I can't be the only one.)

More generally, I don't think calling something a "double bill" necessarily needs anything more tenuous than an overlap between genre, director, or actor--sometimes you just are in the mood for a certain tone or a certain artist's body of work. By contrast, I recently watched Paris, Texas, followed by Creep. That wasn't a double bill (unless I had seen it at the drive-in with the world's worst programming), it was just a night I watched two movies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Halloween III's plot involves a company that manufactures Halloween masks for kids, its one of those movies that feels like it should actually be watched on Halloween night. I feel the same way about Trick R Treat, its all about Halloween traditions.

Fair enough! My go-to Watch on Halloween movies are the original Halloween and Hocus Pocus, maybe Rocky Horror.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi / Cutie & The Boxer
The Devil and Daniel Johnston / Frank
Wes Craven's New Nightmare / Videodrome
The Man Who Knew Too Little / Top Secret!
Barton Fink / Adaptation.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I remember rolling into a drive-in with my family at age 7 with my mom and we saw a double bill of Die Hard and Big. They showed Big second, even as a kid I thought that was a poor choice.

Also: I fully support the idea of a double bill of Halloween III followed by Halloween III. But I love Halloween III.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

caligulamprey posted:

Also: I fully support the idea of a double bill of Halloween III followed by Halloween III. But I love Halloween III.

Its almost bitter-sweet to watch it because I get annoyed that the movie-going public didn't reward the creativity of Halloween III and forced the studio to bring Michael Myers back. We could have had another 3-4 Carpenter produced anthology style Halloween films.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh wait, duh, the real double bill is Halloween III and Lords of Salem.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Basebf555 posted:

Its almost bitter-sweet to watch it because I get annoyed that the movie-going public didn't reward the creativity of Halloween III and forced the studio to bring Michael Myers back.
I went to a 35mm screening a year back in October to a sold out audience and that felt good.

When the audience went from chuckling throughout to dead, horrified silence after the kid puts on the mask, that was loving magical.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Rosemary's Baby / Look Who's Talking

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I'd pair Halloween III with Phantasm. Something about them more being mystery movies with sci-fi elements and infiltrating "normal" but mysterious locations links the two in my mind. I'd also do New Nightmare and Babadook, because so many similar visuals and themes carry over from the former to the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I guess it's time to go back and re-watch Halloween III again. I agree it's a shame that Carpenter's idea for an annual Halloween anthology got tarnished. I think the main flaw is, lack of advertising that that was the intention, and the fact that they made Halloween II a direct sequel instead of it's own story. It's not like it was a necessary continuation of the story anyway. I still want an annual Halloween anthology, though, and with True Detective and Fargo paving the way for that idea on television, I think the general public can handle that for a movie each October.

Back to double features: I've been lucky to see a double feature for Troll 2 / Best Worst Movie, which is always a treat.

The best double feature I've seen was Synecdoche, New York with The Master a few weeks after Philip Seymour Hoffman died. The proceeds went to one of his favorite charities. I had never seen either movie. It was a rough night.