Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I went back to look at your old Manic Episode on Baywatch Nights and wow. I hope you get to cover that spin-off one day.

The opening is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl4NLQrJRxE

It's so tonally all over the map! The second one is even ebtter, trying to be dark and atmospheric with cheesy saxophone music.

I did that before I'd seen the main show, so I definitely want to cover that ep again when I get to Nights. The season 2 intro was one of my inspirations for the Movie Nights intro! Not to mention a partial inspiration for the name. ;)

e X posted:

Do they ever reference the fact that Mitch apparently battles the creature of the night in his off time on the main show?

They sure do! There's an ep where Mitch goes around in the background fighting vampires, and everyone's like trying to determine if vampires do or do not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Hey Kyle, I noticed you took down the trailer for your second Shakespeare monthseason. Was there a reason for that?

It was outdated and unnecessary. I think it still referred to the series as a "month" and well, the schedule slip has been a bit embarrassing. It's the same reason I won't put up my old vlogs with announcements of cons I'll be attending and that sort of thing.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I see. Are you still doing the Klingon Hamlet and Lion King?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Miss Wallace posted:

I did that before I'd seen the main show, so I definitely want to cover that ep again when I get to Nights. The season 2 intro was one of my inspirations for the Movie Nights intro! Not to mention a partial inspiration for the name. ;)

They sure do! There's an ep where Mitch goes around in the background fighting vampires, and everyone's like trying to determine if vampires do or do not exist.

After seeing Hasselhoff rassle a bull and battle an aquatic jeep I really can't tell if your joking or not.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Miss Wallace posted:

:allears:

I think that most shows have a point were they run out of stories to tell with their original premise and devolve into sitcom cliches to continue on. Depends on circumstances of course, but I would say its normally around season 4.

Baywatch is really special in the regard that they run out of interesting life guarding stories by episode 2

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Based on those Baywatch Nights intros, you know what I'd love to see? Something seriously analyzing and picking apart 80's/90's cable TV "sexy" stylistic motifs, like what these intros use -- especially the saxophone. I've always wondered how the sax became so closely linked with sex... and it better not just be because they're one vowel off from each other.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Clinton administration

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Keromaru5 posted:

Based on those Baywatch Nights intros, you know what I'd love to see? Something seriously analyzing and picking apart 80's/90's cable TV "sexy" stylistic motifs, like what these intros use -- especially the saxophone. I've always wondered how the sax became so closely linked with sex... and it better not just be because they're one vowel off from each other.

The saxophone is an iconic jazz instrument, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's tied in to America's complex relationship with black culture.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcJkZOIuZR8

SFDebris has an update on the blip situation. Apparently he is a lot more popular than I thought.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Baka-nin posted:

After seeing Hasselhoff rassle a bull and battle an aquatic jeep I really can't tell if your joking or not.

I'm not joking, that really happens. Baywatch itself has a two-parter where a character is possessed by a ghost, so that's not even the wackiest supernatural thing they've dealt with on the original show.

e X posted:

:allears:

I think that most shows have a point were they run out of stories to tell with their original premise and devolve into sitcom cliches to continue on. Depends on circumstances of course, but I would say its normally around season 4.

Baywatch is really special in the regard that they run out of interesting life guarding stories by episode 2

It's amazing, isn't it? It could be anything on any given week, all of it equally and amazingly terrible.

Keromaru5 posted:

What others said. It just became that go-to sexy instrument of the 80s/90s and it was super popular, so shows trying to be edgy and appealing tended to use it for their intros. Those kind of intros were huge inspirations for my Movie Nights intro, which is why I included things like the dancing silhouette, velvet backdrop, and pink fog.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

e X posted:

SFDebris has an update on the blip situation. Apparently he is a lot more popular than I thought.

A comment int hat video had a good idea. If Pateron could make their own player, they would probably make a killing.

Would Pateron need ads for it? Lupa, are you still reliant on ads for your videos?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

BigRed0427 posted:

A comment int hat video had a good idea. If Pateron could make their own player, they would probably make a killing.

And get absolutely destroyed by the copyright cartel. Either sued out of existence, or taken over. In either case, everyone dependent on Patreon for revenue would be completely hosed.

Maybe Patreon can use their success (along with the other crowdfunder sites) to start a Super PAC, and purchase some new laws that protect Fair Use. If they raise enough billions of dollars, they can own enough politicians to make a difference. Y'know, Democracy.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

How did Blip avoid the copyright issues?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

How did Blip avoid the copyright issues?

By not being Youtube basically.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
By being to insignificant enough to not be forced to have on automated recognition of copyrighted material to avoid lawsuits.

Also, Fair Use is not really as strong of an argument as many people often make it out. The way a lot of reviewers use clips and music is probably not covered.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Darth Walrus posted:

The saxophone is an iconic jazz instrument, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's tied in to America's complex relationship with black culture.

This is almost certainly it.

Plus Jazz is considered to be sultry music.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This is almost certainly it.

Plus Jazz is considered to be sultry music.

It all stems from the song Baker Street. This led to a saxophone phase in the 80s that carried over into TV!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
During one of Extra Credits' Extra History series, they plugged another youtube channel and I couldn't be happier that they did.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar

The Great War is a channel dedicated to discussing important people, dates and events surrounding the First World War and it is pretty drat fascinating. The guy has a pretty good set to work with as well, and everything seems well documented and very well presented. I know it's not gaming related or even pop culture related, but I thought it would be neat to share.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Arcsquad12 posted:

During one of Extra Credits' Extra History series, they plugged another youtube channel and I couldn't be happier that they did.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar

The Great War is a channel dedicated to discussing important people, dates and events surrounding the First World War and it is pretty drat fascinating. The guy has a pretty good set to work with as well, and everything seems well documented and very well presented. I know it's not gaming related or even pop culture related, but I thought it would be neat to share.

I am still very confused Extra Credits is doing history videos.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I see. Are you still doing the Klingon Hamlet and Lion King?

Yup! Shot both of them at the beginning of the month. They'll be finished before the summer's over, assuming I didn't just jinx myself by saying that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Would Pateron need ads for it? Lupa, are you still reliant on ads for your videos?

This is an astonishingly bad idea. Patreon is a workable business idea because they don't host anything except for images, which are cheap as free these days. And I have confidence in Vimeo moving forward because they've decided that their business model will be monetizing content creators directly, instead of going the Revver/Blip business model of "Oh geez, let's let everybody host as much content as they want for free and hope that some of them draw enough of an audience to keep the lights on".

The only reason YouTube works at all is because they are a destination. People go to YouTube and surf around for content. Nobody ever did that on Revver or Blip. Those websites thought that content producers were what would make them money, when at the end of the day, content producers cost you money because they use up your resources, the audiences bring the money, and the vast majority of content creators will never attract enough of an audience to pay for their own hosting, so just gambling on finding the handful that can prop up the rest doesn't work (hence the death of Blip). Video hosting is pretty much the most expensive thing you can do on the internet, and 10+ years after the dot-com bubble burst, you'd think people would realize by now that "just throw ads on it" is only viable if you have a massive audience. Vimeo is brilliant because they directly monetize creators, so there's no risk from having more creators than viewers, something Blip always struggled with (Hi front page full of dozens of shows I will never give a rat's rear end about).

tl;dr Patreon would not "make a killing", they would probably lose all of their money, swiftly and humiliatingly.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 13, 2015

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

DStecks posted:

tl;dr Patreon would not "make a killing", they would probably lose all of their money, swiftly and humiliatingly.

Exceptionally well said!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

KKall posted:

Yup! Shot both of them at the beginning of the month. They'll be finished before the summer's over, assuming I didn't just jinx myself by saying that.

Do like Richard Stanley and hire a wizard to counter the curse for you!

Actually, thinking about how that ended up, don't do that.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Patreon was a total game-changer, and I don't rely on ads. In fact, I was making next to nothing from Blip, so honestly the biggest downside of Blip shutting down is finding a new host and switching things over. Financially I'm doing just fine. You know, by doing exactly the opposite of what CA wanted me to do. Not that I like bringing that up at every possible opportunity or anything. :D

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just want to say that I've finished watching The Story of Films: An Odyssey and it's an amazing watch about the history of movies across of the film, soemthing that anyone who loves movies should watch. I would have never ehard of it it if hadn,t ben mentionned in Oancitizen's amazing Gerry: Redux video.

So thanks, Oancitizen, for getting me to watch 15 hours of movie history.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just want to say that I've finished watching The Story of Films: An Odyssey and it's an amazing watch about the history of movies across of the film, soemthing that anyone who loves movies should watch. I would have never ehard of it it if hadn,t ben mentionned in Oancitizen's amazing Gerry: Redux video.

So thanks, Oancitizen, for getting me to watch 15 hours of movie history.

Glad you liked it! It's a fantastic watch. It definitely helped to fill in the gaps in my knowledge of movie history. I'd recommend it to anyone who has any interest in movies at all.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

nine-gear crow posted:

While not nessecarily about games explicitly, Innuendo Studios is starting to do some really great examinations of gaming culture and psychology.

His first big series is Why Are You So Angry?, an examination of how the objectively vile core of the Gamergate movement was able to so effectively cloak itself in a vanir of legitimacy by deftly manipulating and then shielding itself behind "Angry Jack" by looking at the causes of and reasons behind "Jack"'s anger over women in gaming culture.

These are really, really good. Puts forth some interesting theories I hadn't thought of before, and does a good job explaining how sometimes the "moderate" position isn't really that. Thanks for recommending them.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don't think I've seen it mentioned here, but a new History of Power Rangers review was released. It's not very good.... the show being reviewed I mean. The review is fine.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I wonder if Saban will find their groove again.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Neo-Saban Power Rangers is generic trash. I like the old Saban and some Disney seasons, but they're just lazily pumping them out one after the other expecting kids to eat it up. Kids deserve better though. In a time when children's tv is so much better than anything that's come before, it's pretty sad Power Rangers has actually regressed to being worse than it ever was somehow.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't know, I haven't seen all of Samurai, but based on my memories and what I've seen, Samurai seems at about the level of Turbo and some of MMPR Season 1. That said, I agree that right now children's TV is really good. It definitely needs to step up its game to come close to "that show about lesbian space rocks" Linkara mentioned, because Steven Universe is truly, unironically great.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair, I'll admit Mighty Morphin had a cast that made the Saved By The Bell kids feel like fully fleshed out human beings in comparison and it didn't graduate from that fully until In Space, but it still feels like the early seasons had more weight than the recent ones. The characters were stock but it acomplished what it was trying to do and there weren't very high expectations at that point anyway. Neo-Saban feels like it's faking being deeper. Also, they won't shut up during the fights.

Oh well, at least Yoshi Sudarso is a gem.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 15, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The neo-Saban stuff suffers severely from a lack of Bulk and Skull.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Time Force was the best one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The problem with Neo-Sabin is that, until the latest show, they are lazily copying and pasting the sentai seasons except worse because of how the seasons work with Nickelodeon.

And that apparently stunted their actual writing efforts because there's a severe noticeable difference in Acting Direction when they switched to a mostly original show in Dino Charge.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Power Rangers was always mediocre bullshit, the only real difference between then and now is nostalgia and the fact that there are more legitimately good shows being made for children now.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

e X posted:

I feel like he's burying the lead in this video. While bandwidth and cost are important, the thing that should be high up on the list is "How quickly will the service drag their heels on copyright stuff". Internet Reviewers went to Blip mostly because YouTube made it easy to find folks using other people's stuff; they need to find a new site that'll handle copyright slowly. Otherwise, you'll just have your videos that are proofing faster than you can say "Totally fair use, you guys!"

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

HorseRenoir posted:

Power Rangers was always mediocre bullshit, the only real difference between then and now is nostalgia and the fact that there are more legitimately good shows being made for children now.

Nah, Power Rangers had its ups and downs, but at its best its a fun action series with over the top fantasy and sci fi elements, tight plotting, and engaging characters. At its worst it's boring, obnoxious, and full of crappy characters you can't be bothered to root for. And oh god does it want to push toys.

In its defense, the source material, Super Sentai, is like that too. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.

FYI, go here to see the reviews on Linkara's site with the full intro. He said the YouTube version had to cut the intro due to the ContentID nonsense.

Anyway, we haven't even gotten to Megaforce yet. Take both one of the weakest Sentai shows of the last ten years (Goseiger), slam into one of the best (Gokaiger), and then watch it flounder over and over and constantly fail at even its most basic ambitions. I realize adapting Gokaiger would have been hellish since it was an anniversary show that covered the then 40 years of Super Sentai history, making entire chunks of stock footage difficult and sometimes impossible to use since it would have used footage from a show that never got adapted into English. Except Megaforce would just shrug its shoulders, use that footage anyway, and just sort of say "Oh, today the Megaforce are using the forms of Rangers from another planet!"

They don't really provide a reason why the "Super Mega Mode" requires them to dress like PIRATES.

Sad part is, Megaforce did try to do an anniversary series... in the second half, crammed into 20 episodes, and whiffed all of it. The big super crossover was a complete letdown.

Also, poor RPM got screwed over a second time on crossovers. Sigh.

But yea, he didn't talked about Megaforce, he talked about Samurai. And what tends to be weird about Samurai is that it spends a lot of time replicating plot points from Shinkenger, but then tries to change things either to get around that the Japanese show was heavily steeped in samurai culture that you're not going to understand if you're not Japanese anyway, or just changes things for no reason. Which means the plot ends up not making sense or all kinds of extra plot holes pop up instead.

Like, the entire storyline about the true Red Ranger follows a lot of the same beats in both versions, but Shinkenger comes up with a better reason for the team leader to change over - in Shinkenger, all the other Shinkengers are supposed to be vassals to the Shiba household. It's eventually revealed that because Kaoru's mother was still pregnant with her during the last war, Takeru, who wasn't a family member, posed as the Shiba household head so she could be ready when she was old enough to actually fight without being targeted. So it's logical that once she arrives to take her place, he unquestioningly steps down, the rest of the team is expected to follow her, and oh yea, she kicks ShinkenGold out of the team because he's not really a samurai, so there's a legitimate reason for them to be upset with the change in leadership and to have rough feelings towards Kaoru. Takeru leaves because his job is done, and he has a crisis of faith because he has no more purpose in life. In Power Rangers Samurai, Lauren is just Jayden's older sister, she arrives to do her job, and everyone just keeps crapping on her while she continues being nothing but kind to them and clearly suffering from being raised entirely by herself for no apparent reason. Jayden leaves his own house for... no reason... and everyone keeps talking about how awesome he was and how much they wish he was still here instead of Lauren. Right to her face.

Choosing to either adapt or not adapt the Sentai plot isn't inherently the problem. It really all comes down to the quality of the writing. RPM is a great example of largely ignoring it and working - and that's even taking into account that Go-Onger was a VERY goofy show. But it worked because the writers figured out some good excuses for how to adapt the sillier footage and still tell their original, grittier storyline and come up with their own compelling character arcs. Time Force is pretty much a straight adaptation of TimeRanger with some very small alterations to the plot (and a gender swapped yellow ranger), but it's still considered one of the strongest Power Rangers series overall... because the writing still held up, covered quirks of the Japanese material effectively, and still wrote characters that were compelling for the American version as well so when it did start its own innovations, they felt natural and didn't create its own plot holes. Ultimately, the problem with Samurai and Megaforce are that the writing sucked and being close to or diverting from the Sentai wouldn't have mattered.

I watched a little of Dino Charge, it didn't seem horrible but neither of its predecessors started off completely awful either. Though the American version's mentor is an ugly little thing. I'm not surprised Saban skipped Go-Busters to do a new dinosaur show, and I fully expect the completely bonkers ToQer (aka Power Traingers) will get skipped in favor of Nininger since that's another ninja show. Though I'm going to wonder how they're going to handle StarNinger, Japan's idea of what an "American" Power Ranger would be.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Can we cut down on the anime chat in the internet critic thread? I mean, I can understand minor derails when critic X or Y releases a video about anime but this is getting ridculous. If you want to chat about anime reviews in detail then start start your own thread in ADTRW or even a different thread in RGD. Read the OP:

"If you need to discuss a specific work in-depth, take it to a separate thread. You can, of course, discuss a work a reviewer is reviewing, but let's not have 3 page hijacks on a single movie."

I know there is also a rule in the OP on not posting about posting but RGD modding is fairly light - and rightly so - so sometimes it takes a poster itt to refer to Jsor's OP. I don't think it's backseat modding to suggest posters at least try to follow Jsor's reasonable and clear OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
How about we talk about gamersgate instead.

• Locked thread