Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

From what I understand, HellMOO was great for mercilessly killing anyone who wasn't prepared to be killed. It would have been nothing without the dumb pubbies raging about goons ransacking their apartments and eating all their hundreds of dinosaur toys they collected over several months, and getting duped into jumping out of planes and playing Russian roulette with a fully loaded gun.

Hell, I'll see if I can dig up some of the older stories because there were some really good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have no idea what HellMOO is but it sounds rad and I want stories.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I have no idea what HellMOO is, but I want stories.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

There a few stories on an earlier page of this very thread.

redmercer posted:

A classic HellMOO grief was to rent a player apartment in an area with lousy security, fill it with various horrible things such as rods of plutonium, spent fuel rods, and anime wallscrolls; and then put a much better lock on the inside than the outside. It's a nasty surprise to anyone who was out robbing newbie apartments. Or anyone who hits you up wanting some plutonium. "Sure, it's in there, go on ahead" and then just close the door on him. If you're standing outside it, they can't even pick the inside lock because you can just open and shut the door on them before they can get out, which resets their pick progress.

Still looking for the best ones, for now have this story about an apple-eating contest.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

... goons ransacking their apartments and eating all their hundreds of dinosaur toys ...

Hell, I'll see if I can dig up some of the older stories because there were some really good ones.

Please tell me about this one.

EDIT: Grenade apples are a classic

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 13, 2015

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Can't seem to find a source, but there was a regular player-made TV broadcast called "Thorax Eats", in which a goon (named Thorax) would eat whatever precious items the goons happened to have stolen that day (through the use of the "billygoat"mutation, which allowed you to eat many non-food objects, including certain containers, regardless of their contents*). That particular story involved them counting out a couple hundred dinosaur toys (which are randomly found on enemies throughout the world, they have no real value, but some people get very attached to their garbage), putting them all in a trash bag, then eating the bag. One player (who might have been an admin, or an alt thereof) remarked "Hey, that's almost as many as I've got in my stash", and got told "Dude, that was your stash."

*In theory, if you could get a person into a container, and had enough strength to lift it, you could presumably eat someone whole. I believe the goons managed to exactly that at least once.

One of my favorite stories (also touched on above) is when some pubbie got pissed and demanded a one-on-one contest to regain his E-honor. The contest of choice was Russian roulette. The goons had a live tv camera broadcasting the whole thing while they they loaded the gun with all six rounds, then when Pubbie arrived, told him to go first, which he did without question.

They later told him they'd give him back all his stuff if he could make it back to the main city after being airdropped onto Dinosaur Island armed with nothing but a knife. The goons packed his chute (or rather, failed to), with predictable results.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 13, 2015

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

They later told him they'd give him back all his stuff if he could make it back to the main city after being airdropped onto Dinosaur Island armed with nothing but a knife. The goons packed his chute (or rather, failed to), with predictable results.

Assuming that was the exact wording, they did say "nothing but a knife".

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
Is it worth playing Infernmoo? I've been itching to get back into a game as good as Hellmoo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Is it just a text game? I recall one story of someone having their child stolen by a group, who then put it in a vending machine at a ludicrous price.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Soulex posted:

Is it just a text game? I recall one story of someone having their child stolen by a group, who then put it in a vending machine at a ludicrous price.

Yeah, there's an ascii map or two you can get for basic navigation but it's just words apart from that. InfernoMOO is basically a fork of HellMOO without the orphan rape among other notable changes. I don't know if HellMOO even has a playerbase still.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Odobenidae posted:

Yeah, there's an ascii map or two you can get for basic navigation but it's just words apart from that. InfernoMOO is basically a fork of HellMOO without the orphan rape among other notable changes. I don't know if HellMOO even has a playerbase still.

Hellmoo technically exists (and is quite well populated) but it is full of carebears, sailors, and men named Lawrence.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

There was a story by either Angriest IBM or Angry Diplomat, where they played a game of HellMoo and tried to force some random passerby to take a bite of a fetus they had found. When the passerby refused, they chased him down, jumped on him, screamed and activated a suicide bombers vest that he had on him. It was a magical story and I wish I could find it again.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Hellmoo and Infernomoo were excellent for zany situations. One time I was walking past the enterance to the main bar when a severed human head hit me in my head causing brain damage. Of course I was lacking in brainy friends at the time, as most people play min max murderers, so I decided to perform my own brain surgery brain damaged and succeeded even though I was being hunted down mercilessly at the time.

Another time this jerk super mutant abomination was trying to murder me in town so, knowing I could not beat him in a fair fight, I just skateboarded back and forth in front of him in front of the police station naked while he tried to grab me whilst getting savagely batoned.

Another guy used to murder me several times daily and had a way to track me without fail wherever I was. I laid a hefty dose of landmines in a bottleneck and heard several booms as various parts of him flew in from the south.

DrunkMidget
May 29, 2003
'Shag'd Wo'bram?" -Borra
I've been watching this guy's trolling while bored at work. He's not really hacking people; friends or family members of the victim basically set them up and people proceed to lose their poo poo. They do get let in on the fact they're being trolled in the end, so I think it's good fun and not too cruel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNej61quFB4

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
One of the HellMOO stories I remember was about someone who had a super creepy fake baby they were really overly attached to. When they got fake married in game, a bunch of people crashed the wedding, killed everyone, stole her creepy fake baby, then put it up for sale for an unobtainable amount of money in a vending machine right by spawn so they would see it as often as possible.

Someone mentioned the vending machine baby story, but there is so much more to it than just a fake baby in a vending machine

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

There was a story by either Angriest IBM or Angry Diplomat, where they played a game of HellMoo and tried to force some random passerby to take a bite of a fetus they had found. When the passerby refused, they chased him down, jumped on him, screamed and activated a suicide bombers vest that he had on him. It was a magical story and I wish I could find it again.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=281#post408606894

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

DrunkMidget posted:

I've been watching this guy's trolling while bored at work. He's not really hacking people; friends or family members of the victim basically set them up and people proceed to lose their poo poo. They do get let in on the fact they're being trolled in the end, so I think it's good fun and not too cruel.

I don't know man, that dudes reaction sounded about as convincing as an amateur trying to land a voice acting gig.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
You're just trying to scare me, but I know you're really one of my friends from school. (edit) Sounds like one of the guys from the skits between songs on Insane Clown Posse CDs.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 13, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yesssss. That story is amazing. :allears:

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

ellbent posted:

My only HellMOO story is really more about me gettin' griefed by a game I was not prepared for. I tried out Hell from boredom-induced suicide in Achaea and clearly did not understand what I was getting into, but I read some of the goon guides and made a not-terrible character.

My very first day I made a huge mistake; I talked on the global chat channel. Not only that, I tried to be funny on it. Before long I had recieved a page: Funny joke, new new player! You're such a funny guy, I have some gear for you! Overjoyed since I was wearing the equivalent of a burlap sack armor-wise, I met him outside the survival shop and he (after I allowed gifts) handed me that loving coat.

I'm hazy on the hard stats and I'm positive now that it wasn't a huge deal relative to the game's other equipment, but the 'sky raider duster' he handed me blew my newbie mind. It looked like some sort of trenchcoat dyed blood red and hewn from the hide of a tyrannosaurus, and skyrocketed every single soak I had to the point where I was invincible against everything appropriate for my level except on my head, hands, and feet.

Naturally I thank him profusely and he replies with something along the lines of "Sure thing! Have fun!" rear end in a top hat. I told my lovely newbie corp about my great new acquisition, and immediately the officers started a bidding war to buy it off me. When I refused, they fired me. Welp.

Hanging around the bar in hopes of getting hired by someone, a guy tells me "nice coat," because I wasn't brawny (in game) or smart (out of game) enough to wear anything over it to hide it. I should have heard this as a Sin City-style that's a drat fine coat yer wearin', but I was the Cool Accepted Newbie and clearly he meant no harm. He offered to buy me drinks. But not there. In the other bar. The cool bar, for cool people. The one without cameras or other players around.

So I'm on the ground, puking violently and slipping in and out of consciousness while slurring expletives, and he's trying on the duster he stripped from me. "drat, this is nice," he says. "I'd like to keep it." Then he drops the coat. "I hope you learned a lesson today," he says, and leaves.

When I sober up, I yank on the duster and go home, starting to resent it. On the way, I run into three players searching for me because they spotted me heading to the no-camera areas earlier. Immediately they start killing each other for the right to skullfuck my corpse and I run to my apartment. Inside, a chainsaw-wielding man in a maid outfit is waiting for me on a pile of lumber that used to be my furniture. Right before I bleed to death, a grenade tumbles into the room and kills both of us.

My stuff is in a pile when I get back, the chainsaw maid's stuff safe in a cocoon from death. I snatch the duster and run downstairs in the nude.

Fleeing naked from the city and being chased by a vampire with an AK, I hurled the drat thing off a bridge, worth a small fortune or not.

gently caress the guy who gave it to me.

gently caress that coat.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

:words: this is great. It's why I like SS13 stories. I have a good imagination so seeing this all acted out is great.

DrunkMidget posted:

Fake or not, I love stories with happ endings :allears:

The set up was really good too.
"Now ask me to guess a number between 1 and 70."
..."ok, what number am I thinking of between 1 and 70?"
"24."
"Nope! It's 55."
"24 (street address)"
":psyduck:"

Fake edit: yeah. Forgot the baby was creepy but I did remember the vending machine.

That dude who decided that he wanted to become a raid boss story was pretty good too.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

This needs to be added to the OP.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DrunkMidget posted:

I think this is pretty great, although the victims are probably going to have trust issues for the rest of their lives

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
This is still my favourite thing to come out of HellMOO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38zNLm4YkLM

edit: I'm considering checking out InfernoMOO, does anyone else besides Troika play? We could get together and gangstomp people for their boots or something.

Mom with a blog fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 14, 2015

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Every once in a while, I'm tempted to play again. I think the magic is mostly gone, though. :(

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mash posted:

This is still my favourite thing to come out of HellMOO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38zNLm4YkLM

edit: I'm considering checking out InfernoMOO, does anyone else besides Troika play? We could get together and gangstomp people for their boots or something.

That was amazing, but the real gold is pastbin link in the video description.

Pastebin poo poo posted:

you guys obviously didnt, i fell in love with a person over a text game and all you can do is mock me.
Holy poo poo. He rage quit over a "girlfriend" in HellMOO. I thought it was about a real flesh-and-blood girlfriend.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 15, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mash posted:

There's a moderately sized populace at the moment. I run the small chill corp HVAC, while WWE likewise consists of chill dudes. The other corps are either a smattering of one man corps, BLOOD which is a few random people, and FEM, which is the largest corp in the game and recruits anything with a pulse (and is about as useful as you'd expect).

e: I made a thread for infernomoo, for reasons entirely other than getting that one journal you get for advertising :spergin:

ugh its Troika fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 16, 2015

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

-Troika- posted:

There's a moderately sized populace at the moment. I run the small chill corp HVAC, while WWE likewise consists of chill dudes. The other corps are either a smattering of one man corps, BLOOD which is a few random people, and FEM, which is the largest corp in the game and recruits anything with a pulse (and is about as useful as you'd expect).

e: I made a thread for infernomoo, for reasons entirely other than getting that one journal you get for advertising :spergin:

I miss HellMOO...I need to start again.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mash posted:

I'd play but I'm UTC+8 so I wonder how much I could participate.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

a7m2 posted:

I'd play but I'm UTC+8 so I wonder how much I could participate.

I don't know maybe you and the other guy in that timezone can get something going. Who knows, maybe you'll meet somebody that lives in Victoria!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

http://deadspin.com/11-tips-to-intentionally-ruin-a-mock-draft-1724124750

Fantasy football turbo nerds getting griefed while they try to figure out the draft meta.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

ellbent posted:

So I'm on the ground, puking violently and slipping in and out of consciousness while slurring expletives, and he's trying on the duster he stripped from me. "drat, this is nice," he says. "I'd like to keep it." Then he drops the coat. "I hope you learned a lesson today," he says, and leaves.

When I sober up, I yank on the duster and go home, starting to resent it. On the way, I run into three players searching for me because they spotted me heading to the no-camera areas earlier. Immediately they start killing each other for the right to skullfuck my corpse and I run to my apartment. Inside, a chainsaw-wielding man in a maid outfit is waiting for me on a pile of lumber that used to be my furniture. Right before I bleed to death, a grenade tumbles into the room and kills both of us.

My stuff is in a pile when I get back, the chainsaw maid's stuff safe in a cocoon from death. I snatch the duster and run downstairs in the nude.

Fleeing naked from the city and being chased by a vampire with an AK, I hurled the drat thing off a bridge, worth a small fortune or not.

gently caress the guy who gave it to me.

gently caress that coat.

Ahaha, great story. Fairly confident I was in this one too. The whole camera/no camera zone stuff of Hellmoo makes for a lot of amusing opportunities. You only get a couple of stars for shoving people so you can do stuff like shove someone off their motorcycle into the satanist church and then murder them. Guess who's wheeling home a new motorbike :smugdog:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ruzihm posted:

http://deadspin.com/11-tips-to-intentionally-ruin-a-mock-draft-1724124750

Fantasy football turbo nerds getting griefed while they try to figure out the draft meta.

Don't you want other people to make bad choices when they draft?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Don't you want other people to make bad choices when they draft?

yes, in the real fake draft. this is the fake fake draft to help you prepare for the real fake draft, as opposed to the fake real draft or the real real draft.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
People are getting angry over fake practice drafts in prep for fake drafts for fake football?
I... get that people are angry but I don't get why. :psyduck:
Is he not taking his fake practice picks seriously?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Azerban posted:

yes, in the real fake draft. this is the fake fake draft to help you prepare for the real fake draft, as opposed to the fake real draft or the real real draft.

So they what, want him to make good picks so they can predict what people will pick? And they can't just ignore his picks?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Pope Guilty posted:

So they what, want him to make good picks so they can predict what people will pick? And they can't just ignore his picks?

Exactly. To be fair, it can be annoying when someone throws a game in general; imagine playing poker with someone who bets based on the roll of a d20. It also could screw up the pick order if, say, his first pick is a good 2nd or 3rd pick. It's even worse when the entire point is to practice for stuff like office pools.

Still incredibly silly to get angry over it, of course.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Croccers posted:

People are getting angry over fake practice drafts in prep for fake drafts for fake football?
I... get that people are angry but I don't get why. :psyduck:
Is he not taking his fake practice picks seriously?

Technically the football itself isn't fake, you use the real stats from the real games.

Also it's waaaaaay more fun to get people to spend a quarter of their budget in an auction draft on a superstar only to find out that it was just some random fifth string that shares the same name.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

They want to play a bunch of realistic fake fake drafts so they know, generally, when they need to draft particular people or positions when it comes time for the real fake draft.

E.g., if one or two positions typically have most of the good players still available by the end, I don't want to waste early rounds picking my top picks for those positions. Or, if one position usually runs dry on solid picks halfway through the draft, I can afford to pick things I care more about but I can't just simply ignore that position until the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Sounds pretty stupid! Is this like DnD or larping or whatever for sports nerds?

• Locked thread