Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, this is roughly my experience, too. It runs perfectly fine on my Nexus 5, though. I feel like there needs to be something else there besides 'avoid dying in one hit'.

I can see myself playing it more. I love chess but this game makes my brain hurt and seems more like a stealth/avoidance style game. It would be nice to unlock different movesets of different pieces even temporarily via rare potions or powerups, or through defeating x amount of enemies.
What about controlling 2 pieces and a lives system where if you can get to the end of a linear level to get to the end of the board with a piece you can revive dead ones.

Running back and forth down a corridor until the AI flakes out to kill a pawn isn't that fun, outsmarting the AI besides that is ok. I like the concept.

Idk the randomness doesn't have much to flesh it out and chess army with some zany powerups would be cool as long as it was still hard.
This is just a first impression... I wouldn't mind a hard grindy game it just kind of hurt my brain instead of fun. It's like a educational style kind of braintease game.

Multiplayer PvP races against computer to collect some McGuffin might be good, but probably all of this is a pain to program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

galahan posted:

Yeah, I uninstalled heavenstrike and bought FFTactics screw IAP and very heavy RNG.

I wasn't actually able to buy Final Fantasy Tactics because I lost my debit card and even though Google is linked directly to my bank account now I can't buy Play credits that way. Also Google links to bank account in 2 minutes PayPal takes 3 days that might be an option it's goes off sale soon though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Shwqa posted:

I can't wait to see the disappointment in this thread when fallout shelters comes out :allears:

It was hilarious to see in the IOS thread how quickly opinions turned against the game. It is a bad game.

Meh, who cares. New time waster in between stamina refills in the Dragonball game (which is still loving awesome).

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Shwqa posted:

I can't wait to see the disappointment in this thread when fallout shelters comes out :allears:

It was hilarious to see in the IOS thread how quickly opinions turned against the game. It is a bad game.

I also had this experience with the ground zeroes app over the weekend. The UI is cool but the gameplay is timers and grindy base building. It's very unfortunate.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Bandire posted:

I like Berserker too. He also pairs up really well with Emperina. Her heal actually heals him to his previous maximum, so the +health bonus effectively stacks per cast.

Berzerker can get powerful in a hurry if you shove him up front -- one active at Arena strength and he'll have 11 ATK -- but his active's damage is really swingy and hard to rely on, along with the "damage yourself to gain ATK" mechanic. With Tau I like that (I generally take one hit after using Tau's active just from board churn) because his ATK boost is just ridiculous; Berzerker's not so much. I don't know that I'd use him out of Arena just because I'm stacked with Red units and there are better options.

Goblin Rocket looks like pure joy.

I've been experimenting with a defensive control team -- I lucked into The Silent One, so I'm combining him (silence all enemies plus himself) with Sylvasi (steal ATK, yellow -> purple to boost) for a lockdown squad, negating enemy mana matches while eating all their skull power. It's not an exact science as it can be overwhelmed and it's reliant on specific drops, but it's a different strategy.

EDIT: I fiddled around with the Mazebert TD 1.1 update. The revised loot algorithm neuters the Acolyte of Greed/Ganesha combination substantially, which was admittedly a little ridiculous once you got up to speed. The Black Market only opens on weekends and costs 300 relics, so it'll be a while before I test that out; reportedly, it's the same item for everyone so if you can dig up a forum post saying "I tried it and got _x_" you'll know what Legendary it drops. On the plus side, the buffed Wolf mechanic is great; I'm running a 300 wave only-Nature game now and breezing through it because the beta wolves make the alpha a crit factory. Ripper looks like fun once powered up.

delfin fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 10, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Gems of War PSA: Retreating from a battle forfeits all earned rewards. RIP my treasure map.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Re Chesshack, after tooling around with it a bit I have to echo some of the complaints here that it seems like there's just not much strategy to it. It's a lot of walking back and forth in front of hallways waiting for the AI to randomly jump out of your way. Maybe the levels just shouldn't have those 1 tile wide hallways at all? That might make it too easy though, I'm not sure. I like the idea, though, I just feel like it's not quite being put into a format where it shines here.

Also I don't really see why it needs to be forced into landscape mode. There's nothing about the map or the UI that wouldn't work fine in portrait mode, and it's just more convenient to use one hand.

And a minor quibble, hitting the back button from the main menu should exit the game.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Gems of War talk:
Holy hell this game is WAY more fun then I was expecting. I am colour blind so typically HATE colour/gem matching games but the whole leader + items + troops thing is pretty bad rear end.
On talk of troops this is what I'm sitting on and I'd like some setup ideas:
Stone Giant
Flesh Golem
Dryad
Reaver
Valkyrie
Ghoul
Skeleton
Ranger
Scale Guard
Serpent
Black Beast
+ Starter Goblin, Warhound, Peasant, Lance Knight

Stone Giant seems pretty bad rear end + Valkrie seems like a cool jumping off point but not sure where to kinda go from there.

Using someone like Ghoul to stack your attack high seems cool but how do you get him to attack? Do you need him to be in the first/main slot then use the skulls?

Also am I right in assuming if your leader uses Moon, someone else uses moon/fire and you have a Fire person that the moon/fire person can NOT be charged up until someone dies?
Sorry for the questions, trying to read up and keep plugging away

also my invite code is tinychalupa if there is a guild spot open

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 11, 2015

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
If you can tell that there are symbols on the orbs, your color blindness shouldn't matter with this one, it's pretty nice that way. To answer your power up question, yeah that's how it works. So try not to double up on colors.

Team-wise, I'm running Leader/Sapphira(yellow/Brown to deal true damage and +Attack and Life)/Goblin/Skeleton and it owns bones. I've gotten Sapph to something insane like mid 30s life in a match on several occasions. My leader usually goes down and having two weak-ish characters health-wise, so having her to fill in is really nice.

I lucked out and got her early on from a troop key, but you can also get her from completing Whitehelm's story quest.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Using someone like Ghoul to stack your attack high seems cool but how do you get him to attack? Do you need him to be in the first/main slot then use the skulls?

Also am I right in assuming if your leader uses Moon, someone else uses moon/fire and you have a Fire person that the moon/fire person can NOT be charged up until someone dies?
Sorry for the questions, trying to read up and keep plugging away

Yes attack only matters if they are on the front line and match skulls. Also ghoul just got buffed today (3 attack gained instead of 1).

If have a moon guy in front and a moon/fire guy behind him, moon will all go to the person in front. Until that person is fully charged, then moon goes to the second person. Spillover does go to the 2nd person. And the 2nd guy still gets any fire you match.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 11, 2015

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

I've been playing a lot of Vainglory since it was mentioned in the thread, and so far it's been a lot of fun. Is there already a seperate megathread for it somewhere else or is just nobody paying any attention to it?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

slouch posted:

I've been playing a lot of Vainglory since it was mentioned in the thread, and so far it's been a lot of fun. Is there already a seperate megathread for it somewhere else or is just nobody paying any attention to it?

Doesn't work on my Note Edge, which is surprising.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Oh my god. Zoombinis is on the play store. link

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Games › Android Gaming: Not really. Gems of War Megathread

What is the actual release date for Fallout Shelter supposed to be?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
August 13th.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

ModeSix posted:

What is the actual release date for Fallout Shelter supposed to be?

Games › Android Gaming: Not really. Fallout Shelter Gripe Zone

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I put waaay too much time into Tiny Tower vegas, I don't think I'll be complaining about how little of a game Fallout Shelter is.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Magog posted:

Oh my god. Zoombinis is on the play store. link

What is Zoombinis?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

mrkillboy posted:

Ubisoft's cutesy Robin Hood RPG/village builder Little Raiders: Robin's Revenge has quietly poppd up on the Play Store about a year after its iOS release.

I'm playing this thanks to the thread and I'm having fun with it for now. Anyone who's deeper in know how bad the freemium aspects (amber/timers) get? I just got a 20 minute build time on something which is fine but if it gets to something like 8 days to build something I'd rather just drop it now. Also what should I spend amber on?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Tinyn posted:

What is Zoombinis?

A beloved edutainment game ~only true 90s kids will recall.~

It features math and logic puzzles, and it was actually pretty well made.

But this just makes me want ports of other computer lab favorites like SimAnt or SimCity (the white whale).

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 11, 2015

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Lakbay posted:

I'm playing this thanks to the thread and I'm having fun with it for now. Anyone who's deeper in know how bad the freemium aspects (amber/timers) get? I just got a 20 minute build time on something which is fine but if it gets to something like 8 days to build something I'd rather just drop it now. Also what should I spend amber on?

So far I'm holding onto most of my amber, the recovery and build times without it aren't too bad. I'm around quest 14 I think? Only have three heroes. I am running into a wall with the start of the second map section, the first mission is kicking my rear end, so I've been grinding a lot for levels and silver. They obviously do want you to buy into IAP, and it may get worse later, but so far I can get away with just waiting out recovery and build times.

I guess having people on friends list is supposed to help with resources, but it seems the only friends list support is through Facebook, bleh.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Games › Android Gaming: Not really. Fallout Shelter Gripe Zone

I have an uneasy feeling this will actually be true once it releases from what I've read about it. Still interested though.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Tinyn posted:

What is Zoombinis?

My wife asked me this same question and I died a little inside.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Tinyn posted:

What is Zoombinis?

it was an edutainment game that managed to capture a lot of people who played it's attention by virtue of not being designed as an educational tool but rather as a game. if you're curious about the history of it, usa today did a big article on how it is being rereleased http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/08/05/zoombinis-game-reboot/30615099/

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tinyn posted:

What is Zoombinis?

Nobody knows. But looking at the screenshots, I think it's a Lemmings clone...

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Framed, Hideo Kojima's favorite game of 2014 is finally coming to Android on the 27th of August. It's a puzzle game in which you swap around comic book-like panels, and looks pretty darn interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdJ1mMXw6Cw

The 27th looks to be a big release day with Lara Croft GO, the sequel to Rebuild and possibly Pac-Man 256 meaning to come out that day as well.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mrkillboy posted:

The 27th looks to be a big release day with Lara Croft GO, the sequel to Rebuild and possibly Pac-Man 256 meaning to come out that day as well.
These people need better planning. 27th is a tube strike in London so it's the one day I won't be playing mobile games.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Well reviewed iOS card battler Card Crawl is out for Android.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

mrkillboy posted:

Well reviewed iOS card battler Card Crawl is out for Android.

This is actually pretty good but they ask you for the 4 buck 'unlock' pretty quickly... which I paid gladly. Made my trip to the laundromat seem like 2 minutes long.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

This is actually pretty good but they ask you for the 4 buck 'unlock' pretty quickly... which I paid gladly. Made my trip to the laundromat seem like 2 minutes long.

The unlock isn't too essential, though. You can earn all of the cards just by playing. The IAP lets you get quests to unlock cosmetic changes, and lets you choose your special moves rather than having them chosen at random. I don't remember them popping anything up to ask for the IAP, but there are seemingly innocuous things on the main screen that will take you to the plug.

That said, the game is pretty cool and they probably deserve the money.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Prison Life RPG is currently on sale for 10p in the UK (and maybe elsewhere, no idea). It seems to have decent reviews:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nobstudio.chengshuwan.prisonLifeRPG

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Wow, that looks like a super blatant Prison Architect ripoff! :laugh:

ModeSix posted:

I have an uneasy feeling this will actually be true once it releases from what I've read about it. Still interested though.
After listening to Idle Thumbs for the last two months or so, I'm pretty sure I don't have much left to explore in Fallout Shelter and will simply be going through the motions.

But then again I didn't realize Fallout 4 is coming out in a couple months so I might actually have to buy a new console. :(

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Tunga posted:

Prison Life RPG is currently on sale for 10p in the UK (and maybe elsewhere, no idea). It seems to have decent reviews:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nobstudio.chengshuwan.prisonLifeRPG

'Incredibly accurate prison simulator' says one review. Hrm.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

coyo7e posted:

^^^ Wow, that looks like a super blatant Prison Architect ripoff! :laugh:

It's not really, but it is really really bad. Not nearly as complex as Prison Architect and you play one guy.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Huh, trying to buy the IAP in Card Crawl and it said my $3.18 survey funbux wasn't enough for the $2.99 purchase. Switch payment types and its assigning some 19% sales tax to it.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I was never into empire building games, but I am actually have fun with Astronest. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.co.angames.galaxyconflict.google.android&hl=en

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Gems of war talk:
Is the plus xp armor worth getting at all or better off sticking with gold and souls?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Gems of war talk:
Is the plus xp armor worth getting at all or better off sticking with gold and souls?

I bought Viking Armor first (50% gold, 25% souls) and bought Pirate Armor yesterday (75% gold, 50% XP) to replace it as my primary. My reasoning is thus:

Souls bonuses are only useful in two circumstances -- the last fight in Arena and when you have and spam a Valkyrie on your team. You're likely to not use a Valk on a serious quest/PvP team, so while I will double back and buy that 50% souls armor at some point it's low on my priority list. In a typical fight, that's boosting 4 souls to 6. :toot:

XP is good for two things: leveling up for stats and gaining weapon masteries. Once you get to a certain point you stop gaining stats, so there's that. The Weapons List shows what you can get at various degrees of element mastery, some of which are a lot better than others. If you have a particular one in mind you can powerlevel towards it. I'm working my way towards Prismatic Orb at the moment, though I don't use my Hero much at all outside of Arena.

Meanwhile, Gold bonuses let you make lots of gold via PvP (I'm getting 1000+ returns now pretty regularly), which when poured into a guild give you keys, souls and gems, all of which are nice to have around the house.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Gems of war talk:

It's nice to have, but I don't think it's worth spending gems on. I got one with the $5 package and only used it until I had enough gems for something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
For anyone looking for an alternative to spending time in a fallout shelter later tonight, Gathering Sky is a neat looking game where you control a flock of birds that just landed on the Play Store today.

coyo7e posted:

After listening to Idle Thumbs for the last two months or so, I'm pretty sure I don't have much left to explore in Fallout Shelter and will simply be going through the motions.

Reportedly the Android version is also coming with some new content that will also hit the iOS version today as well.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 13, 2015