Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always imagine Dagger in these scenes with one eyebrow cocked, seeing right through Zidane and teasing him. She really gets a ton of characterization, but it's hard to see sometimes because she was with Vivi when he pissed off the gypsy. She's confident in her abilities, but the moment things don't go as planned, she loses it. She can't think on her feet that well. She needs plans and directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
more like Sir Fartley

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Reminder that Sir Fratley at some point wrote some words on our map like a jerk.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Make Zidane lose. Cock-block him... for the Ring!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

There's the other optional area we really want to visit when we get a chance.

The truly Evil Forest.

You'd wish you were petrified or turned into a plant parasite's incubator.

Who am I kidding go there now, now now!

The music compels you.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Make Zidane lose. Cock-block him... for the Ring!

Nah. Let Zidane win, and then use Memoria to add the ring to your save file.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cockblocking Zidane is a reward unto itself.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Came across this earlier today and thought people might like to see it. Some dialog that's hidden in the game files that appears to be left over after having been cut from the game proper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvdrD0jmms

Edit: Note this goes beyond the LP for those at home!

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 13, 2015

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Fister Roboto posted:

Cockblocking Zidane is a reward unto itself.

He does it to himself enough that we hardly need to take an active hand in it. And that's why this game is so great. :allears:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TravelLog posted:

Came across this earlier today and thought people might like to see it. Some dialog that's hidden in the game files that appears to be left over after having been cut from the game proper.

You might want to note that this goes ahead of the LP.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

TravelLog posted:

Dude! Spoilers! There's stuff on there that goes to Disk 2 and beyond! Not that -I- mind since I'm way ahead of the LP, but Mega'll probably blow a gasket if people who are playing Blind/Semi-Blind see that.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

You might want to note that this goes ahead of the LP.

Noted.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

I remember that in one of the preview shots a while before this game was released, Zidane doesn't go with the subtle-as-a-brick "company" line. Instead, he asks outright, "Maybe you should just sleep with me?" Probably an early line that was directly translated and far less blatant in whatever wording the Japanese version used. Still, a MORE direct Zidane would probably be a scary thing.

quote:

So, when smooth talk fails, go directly to begging. The winning strategy of losers everywhere! :v:

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Pesky Splinter posted:

First time I've actually seen these little action figurines in viewable detail - playing the game on my old TV made them a blurry mess that blended into the background.

That Brahne figurine is huge, must have cost a fortune unless he found a used one off Ebay.

Song of Memories/Garnet's song is my favorite rendition of the Memories/melodies theme because it's more low key and melancholic and the humming makes it feel less formal.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I don't know why, but this is my favorite plot device in any story ever. Beating up a guard to steal their uniform is too hysterical.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I like their relationship. Zidane is obviously a lot more forward about, but it's pretty obvious that there's a mutual attraction there. For as much as Zidane flirts with her, Garnet flirts back on several occasions.

I feel like this is actually critical. Wat to many jrpgs have a "romance" plotline that basically isn't one. Two characters establish some level of attraction in an early act and then just sort of... don't progress past that point. You can be sure at some point there will be some horrible cliched thing towards the end. Boom. Wasn't that romantic ?

No, not it wasn't. Now I don't know how this is going to go past this point but for now this has actually been about two people who are inerested in each other. One much bolder about it than the other. And they're doing things you might expect them to do.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Tzarnal posted:

I feel like this is actually critical. Wat to many jrpgs have a "romance" plotline that basically isn't one. Two characters establish some level of attraction in an early act and then just sort of... don't progress past that point. You can be sure at some point there will be some horrible cliched thing towards the end. Boom. Wasn't that romantic ?

No, not it wasn't. Now I don't know how this is going to go past this point but for now this has actually been about two people who are inerested in each other. One much bolder about it than the other. And they're doing things you might expect them to do.

FFIX has a much better love story than VIII or X, despite those games being much more focused on it. Fact.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Schwartzcough posted:

FFIX has a much better love story than VIII or X, despite those games being much more focused on it. Fact.

Absolutely true. VIII is too focused on making Squall/Rinoa an epic romance and it ends up like a Twilight movie (and it prevents any other character getting proper development). As for Tidus/Yuna in X I wouldn't say it's as bad but it's just really awkwardly forced at times. Zidane and Dagger go through a natural progression that feels real. Right now Dagger knows that she's into him but she's not ready to trust him because of his flirtatious character so she's testing him to see how serious he is about her and besides, she's got much more important poo poo back home to deal with and she's not gonna drop that for a man.

Man, Dagger's awesome.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's about as substantial as the VIII and X romances. But the writers actually understood that, so they didn't make it carry an epic tale of love and loss.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 13, 2015

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It's nice to see Dagger going into full Disney Princess mode.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TravelLog posted:

For those not wanting to click the link, the cut dialogue (bolded) from scenes we've seen thus far is:

(LP Chapter 7 - Steiner is locked in a room in the downed Prima Vista)

The structure is in poor condition. Perhaps I can break out by ramming into the wall. FIRE! FIRE! LET ME OUT! Ugh! <huff-huff!> I'm still not feeling well...Those bastards...If they're planning to demand a ransom, they're wasting their time. I'll see to it that they receive nothing!

---
(LP Chapter 12 - Steiner talking with Morrid the coffee guy)

I order you to tell me when the cargo ship will arrive! Tell meeeeee!
You're not a very creative interrogator.
I am just trying to do what is right!
Who decides right or wrong? You?
Anyone can tell right from wrong.
Ha ha ha... Still as green as a pickle.
Alexandria, of course! Burmecia started the war, and we lost our king as a result.
Many wars were fought before the Lindblum Airship Revolution. Alexandria initiated some of the wars against Burmecia. Now can you tell me who was right or wrong?
I-I am not talking about the past! I am talking about the future!
What will you do if Alexandria starts a war?
When will the cargo ship arrive!?
---

Wonder why they cut some of this? Better pacing for the first Steiner scene, I guess. The second though actually plays into his whole fealty thing, and delivers some world building too.

Relatedly, in terms of FFIX's cut and dummied content, there's not much that's known. There are, obviously deleted/unused and unseen things in there, but not as many as in previous games. It lacks the weird FFVII/VIII style debug menu, and a lot of the deleted content can be garnered by supposition (lists of FMVs with numerical gaps, missing monster IDs, that sort of thing).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 13, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah. It's a little easy to forget, but game pretty heavily implies that the Mist Continent has seen several wars over the past couple decades. Lindblum's air superiority and alliance with Burmecia, along with Regent Cid's own friendship with Dagger's father, probably went a long way towards ensuring the current status quo of peace and prosperity (such as it is at the start of the game).

Interestingly, this makes for one of the few instances in a JRPG where the super advanced technocracy isn't a huge bully and root of all evil. Cid IX's reign has been a good thing for pretty much everyone involved.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 13, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Mega64 posted:

Indeed, Dagger has quite the captive audience for her performance.

[Insert your own Drakengard 3 joke here]
God

DAMMIT :cripes: I hate you and I love you Mega64. Also I know we're not voting on this but I hope you have Zidane lose because it's more dorky if he does as well as to make things easier for you next area.

Bad Seafood posted:

Interestingly, this makes for one of the few instances in a JRPG where the super advanced technocracy isn't a huge bully and root of all evil. Cid IX's reign has been a good thing for pretty much everyone involved.
Huh...yer right I never realised that! FF6 and 7 do it and so does FF12 quite extensively having THEIR Cid be a pretty huge douche about it. The only other game I can remember where the technologically advanced isn't the main villain was FF10 because they were ostracised by the Luddite religion of Yaevon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rarity posted:

Absolutely true. VIII is too focused on making Squall/Rinoa an epic romance and it ends up like a Twilight movie (and it prevents any other character getting proper development). As for Tidus/Yuna in X I wouldn't say it's as bad but it's just really awkwardly forced at times. Zidane and Dagger go through a natural progression that feels real. Right now Dagger knows that she's into him but she's not ready to trust him because of his flirtatious character so she's testing him to see how serious he is about her and besides, she's got much more important poo poo back home to deal with and she's not gonna drop that for a man.

Man, Dagger's awesome.

Pretty much this. Of all the romances in FF, Dagger's the only one that, to me, feels like she's actually feeling her romance out. I'll say more maybe around mid-Disc 3 but she has really one of the best development arcs across the games. She's really only beaten in this game by Vivi.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Is the insane techno-city in FF8 (Esthar?) evil? They're run by Laguna after all, somehow, but on the other hand they support Dr. Mengele for some reason. I have no idea what to think of them tbqh because holy poo poo FF8's plot at that point in the game.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
They were evil while run by the sorceress. Then Laguna took it over and now they are isolationists or something.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

The cut dialogue with Morrid is particularly interesting because of his Ultimania background (as I covered in the bios). He doesn't want to talk about the past to Morrid because 1) he doesn't want to remember the events that led to him being orphaned, and 2) he doesn't want to view the events that led to his tragedy as being anything other than an attack by evil forces upon whom he can lay his anger and grief.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FinalGamer posted:

Huh...yer right I never realised that! FF6 and 7 do it and so does FF12 quite extensively having THEIR Cid be a pretty huge douche about it. The only other game I can remember where the technologically advanced isn't the main villain was FF10 because they were ostracised by the Luddite religion of Yaevon.

The only time the Evil Empire of Technology can be out-evil'd is when they've got an Evil Religion working against them, then? :v:

Honestly, it makes sense given Japan's traditionalist views and vaguely xenophobic views regarding religion: Technological advancement is bad because technology devalues tradition and "religion" is bad because they're all just varying levels of Catholic Church reference.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
anti-tech sentiments never really make sense in video games priding on being developed on and played on the latest tech like these rpgs

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Acne Rain posted:

anti-tech sentiments never really make sense in video games priding on being developed on and played on the latest tech like these rpgs

You could say the same about cautionary Sci-Fi that was broadcasted on radio or TV.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There was an effort post in the Mother 3 thread that explained pretty well, I thought, how this sort of thing (Or at least that particular example) isn't hypocritical. I don't remember the whole thing but the gist of it wasn't that technology itself that was being warned against but rather over reliance/obsession with it. Not sure exactly how relevant it is to FFIX's situation but I thought it was at least worth mentioning.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

AlphaKretin posted:

Not sure exactly how relevant it is to FFIX's situation but I thought it was at least worth mentioning.

It's relevant because someone in the castle at Alexandria is obsessed with building a bigger, badder army made up of a new tech.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf a lot of anti-tech stuff in games seems to be specifically anti-military tech

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Endorph posted:

tbf a lot of anti-tech stuff in games seems to be specifically anti-military tech

Yeah, no one complains about the technology that gets you on so you can ride the shoopuf.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I really do love this game to death. One of the first RPGs I ever played (right behind Golden Sun and Chrono Cross, the latter of which I will still defend the gameplay of, story is poo poo as far as I'm concerned, this also doesn't count in Pokemon.) and I remember pouring hours into it a day when I could.

The ONLY beef I absolutely have against it is how Steals were done. We have four slots for steals, Rare/Semi-Rare/Uncommon/Common (in that order of importance when the game checks)

Common items have a 1 in 1 chance to be stolen (when Steal hits of course, Bandit automatically bypasses the chances of steal missing entirely).

Uncommon items have a 1 in 4 chance of being Stolen, not -too- bad right?

Semi-Rares? 16 in 256, amounting to a 6.25% chance each time.

And Rares? 1 in 256, a 0.391% chance to steal it...and that's if steal -doesn't- attempt to grab at an empty slot on their steal list.

Yea, steal can attempt to steal something that A. Doesn't exist or B. You have already stolen! Thank GOD that there is an ability that A. Increases the chances of the Rare and Semi-Rare slots chances to be stolen to a much more respectable 32 in 256 chance, equating to roughly 12.5% each time and B. ignores empty slots on the enemy's steal list entirely.

Too bad the piece of equipment that HOLDS that illustrious ability isn't available until Disk 3...after a certain event...AT THE EARLIEST. This has been your mechanics post for the day, please enjoy the rest of your day.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kemix posted:

Too bad the piece of equipment that HOLDS that illustrious ability isn't available until Disk 3...after a certain event...AT THE EARLIEST. This has been your mechanics post for the day, please enjoy the rest of your day.

I think there's a very brief window you can get it in Disk 1. Or was that the start of Disk 2? Either way. I think you can actually go back to the building in question after the requisite plot happens but before you leave the town. You do kind of have to be loaded with cash, but that's what all those Wrists are for. :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, stealing from bosses can get kind of tedious. There's a certain jolly green fellow later on that I always remember as king of annoying steals.

For me boss battles so often end up me doing nothing but Steal and Focus until I get the thing, and then Vivi drops Quad Nines on everything. You can steal some really nice things and get stuff pretty early on at times, but it can get pretty frustrating.

KataraniSword posted:

I think there's a very brief window you can get it in Disk 1. Or was that the start of Disk 2? Either way. I think you can actually go back to the building in question after the requisite plot happens but before you leave the town. You do kind of have to be loaded with cash, but that's what all those Wrists are for. :v:

I don't think that place sells them until disc 3 though.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

KataraniSword posted:

What do you think GameFAQs is for? :v: but yea, there's this -great- guide on the FF9 page that was made like a couple months ago by a one bover_87 in HTML that not only gives a guide, but even tells you were all the little hidden items are in the game. It's pretty blatant with spoilers on the Table of Contents though, and no, the item in question with the ability in question does not show up on Disk 2, believe me, I loving tried and am WAY past that point right now.
Hell, he even jots down every possible missable item in the game and tells you how many to buy for a complete item stash/synthesis list, I wholeheartedly recommend this guide if you are either A. A completionist or B. At the very least don't want to miss out on which items become unavailable when.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Kemix posted:

What do you think GameFAQs is for? :v: but yea, there's this -great- guide on the FF9 page that was made like a couple months ago by a one bover_87 in HTML that not only gives a guide, but even tells you were all the little hidden items are in the game. It's pretty blatant with spoilers on the Table of Contents though, and no, the item in question with the ability in question does not show up on Disk 2, believe me, I loving tried and am WAY past that point right now.
Hell, he even jots down every possible missable item in the game and tells you how many to buy for a complete item stash/synthesis list, I wholeheartedly recommend this guide if you are either A. A completionist or B. At the very least don't want to miss out on which items become unavailable when.

This is the guide I use when I replay and I add my hearty recommendation to Kemix's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Endorph posted:

I would consider the largest, most expansive airship fleet in the world to be pretty solidly militaristic.

My guess is the unease that surrounds a lot of JRPG technocracies and highly-developed societies stems from the lingering cultural baggage of the Meiji, Taisho, and early Showa eras of Japanese history. The inflow of Western modernization and industrialization in the Meiji era did a lot to protect, shape, and propel Japan forward in the world, but it also left a lot of people feeling like they'd lost something important about themselves: that by becoming so "Western" they had lost touch with what it mean to be "Japanese." Not to mention Shintoism carries many links with nature, which naturally a factory-producing, smog-spewing society is at odds with. Thus, technological advancement can be linked with ideas like losing one's sense of identity, a decrease in reverence towards the natural order, etc. Around this time Japan also started developing its own budding military-industrial complex, which blossomed into several years of war with millions of lives being lost and painful memories and grudges that last to this day.

Not that any of this is necessarily super conscious on the part of the developers, but that kind of comparatively recent cultural memory tends to leave an impression on the creative output of future generations whether they realize it or not.

• Locked thread