Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ator posted:

web designers have decided that they need ethics
I'm talkin' about friendship. I'm talkin' about character. I'm talkin' about - hell. Leo, I ain't embarrassed to use the word - I'm talkin' about ethics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

JawnV6 posted:

he blamed kraft employees going to gas stations and covering them up with lunchables

lol what a shithead

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
THOU SHALT NOT USE THIN FONTS BELOW 24 POINTS

THOU SHALT NOT USE WHITE TEXT ON IMAGES

THOU SHALT NOT USE TABLES AS DIVS

THOU SHALT NOT MAKE MORE THAN FIVE BROWSER REQUESTS EXCEPT FOR IMAGES

THOU SHALT NOT PROGRAMMATICALLY RENDER PAGES THROUGH hosed UP JAVASCRIPT CALLS

THOU SHALT NOT CREATE NEW JAVASCRIPT FRAMEWORKS TO ACCOMPLISH THE SAME THING THE OTHER ONE DID

THOU SHALT NOT idk im bored now cya

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

kwinkles posted:

lol what a shithead

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
set sail for dick

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Ator posted:

itym design engineers

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

duTrieux. posted:

but it's obviously worse at that job than an actual tortilla

in my experience it's not

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

set sail for dick

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

he predicted that isdn was going to beat cable

there are people floating around that still think this

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

are these the original text because i can almost believe it

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

bobbilljim posted:

are these the original text because i can almost believe it

theyre from adams' blog

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

FMguru posted:

set sail for dick

rip leisuretown

time to read qa confidential again

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

no they're electricity meters with wireless networking so that the pg&e people can read them without physically going into a house and the anti-EMF crowd went nuts, they were following trucks around for a while

we have some of those parking meters too though because parking is Serious Business around here

remember when PG&E rolled out smart meters at the same time they did a rate hike (and like not long after their "there goes the neighborhood" explosion). everyone either hated the meters for tracking/EMF or assumed they had to pay a higher rate for this dumb box they didn't want. after that they hired a marketing firm to work with them to mitigate PR fails like that

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
man I haven't had a roti in so long

gotta fix that stat

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Progressive JPEG posted:

hey you would too if you got the ISDN demo floppy from AT&T that showed 33.6 is just too slow to download files during intergalactic war

I think I still have it somewhere

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Progressive JPEG posted:

because the phone companies had screwed up internet service, so he figured the cable services would be even worse

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Elder Postsman posted:

there's a place in downtown minneapolis that makes them with like a coconut chicken+potato curry. i've made them with like butter chicken and onion-turmeric chicken. it's all extremely good.

is that Hot Indian Foods or some other place I need to try?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

my city hall is between a gamestop and a nestle toll house cookie store

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ator posted:

this is hilarious because any decent designer behaves this way [at least a bit] but are rebuffed by their management who demand anti-patterns or corner cutting as a solution I guess someone could market themselves as the ethical design company but they'd get dropped from a lot of gigs

also I'd better finish that draft of my book it seems the secret of empathy has been discovered

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

tbh, them buying a fleet of self driving cars would be stupid for the same reason mcdonalds buying a burger flippling robot would. sure, the robot is more efficient than ethan, but you have to take care of and repair the robot, while if ethan breaks down mentally or physically you just replace him with another ethan

the reason uber is pushing so many people to sign up is because right now the cost of employment to them is probably very near zero. since they get 20-30% of what everyone makes, it behooves them to increase the driver pool and increase supply, and lower fares to increase demand. they get a bit more money if they grow demand enough. plus, growing their customer pool means the vcs are more impressed whether or not those extra customers actually increase profit or not

with self-driving cars, this business model breaks down. they can't increase their supply without building storage for the cars and hiring (or independent contracting lol) repair people. there's also a barrier to how much they can increase demand by lowering prices since they have actual costs of business now.

youre not thinking disruptive enough. this is the company that sends their employees contractors cellphones that they can't use for anything but uber, and then makes them pay for the data plan.

what if, instead of firing all their drivers, they send every registered uber driver a self-driving car for free* that they can use whenever they want as long as they maintain it, pay for the gas, and send it off to do uber trips at least X hours per week (and they get a cut of the fares the car takes, though much smaller than now since uber will impose a huge "we gave you a car" fee). idiots will love it

the future of this contractor economy garbage is going to be contracting out your personal possessions (rather than yourself) to make money for a corporation whenever you're not using them. hell, airbnb is exactly that already, and much of the "sharing economy" would love to dump the human workers and employ their robot servants instead. the killer app of the next tech bubble (lol if you think anyone's going to learn their lesson when this one finally pops) will be the service that unifies the "sharing economy" so that when you send your self-driving car off to drive for uber, it'll talk your roomba along for the ride and drop it off at a house that it will clean for a cleaning-sharing company, and when your car returns with an empty tank and vomit in the passenger seat, it'll also have a pile of some vile nerd's stinky cheeto-stained clothes for you to put in your washing machine, which has already been programmed by the laundry-share app to use a triple load of the detergent you bought

the cyber-future is going to be so miserable and pathetic we're going to wish we had a dystopian cyber-hell instead

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think more likely uber will die out and traditional shipping companies like Fedex will be the first ones to really adopt driverless technology

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

here's an actual picture I found

doesn't quite show the awesomeness of it

we're building a real city hall next year though

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

lolll

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FCKGW posted:

holy poo poo lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FCKGW posted:

sweet merciful lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

FCKGW posted:

i hope when they build the real city hall, they keep the lit up sign

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

FCKGW posted:

suburbs and strip malls, as far as the eye can see

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

if it hadn't been for the massive fragmentation caused by the att breakup isdn would have been a viable option but it still would have eventually been completely overtaken and destroyed.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Triglav posted:

THOU SHALT NOT USE THIN FONTS BELOW 24 POINTS

THOU SHALT NOT USE WHITE TEXT ON IMAGES

THOU SHALT NOT USE TABLES AS DIVS

THOU SHALT NOT MAKE MORE THAN FIVE BROWSER REQUESTS EXCEPT FOR IMAGES

THOU SHALT NOT PROGRAMMATICALLY RENDER PAGES THROUGH hosed UP JAVASCRIPT CALLS

THOU SHALT NOT CREATE NEW JAVASCRIPT FRAMEWORKS TO ACCOMPLISH THE SAME THING THE OTHER ONE DID

THOU SHALT NOT idk im bored now cya

THOU SHALT NOT USE COMIC SANS ON ANYTHING

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaggar posted:

if it hadn't been for the massive fragmentation caused by the att breakup isdn would have been a viable option but it still would have eventually been completely overtaken and destroyed.

its still viable

when you're out in hickington nowhere and you somehow have plenty of money so you can bundle a bunch of isdn lines together rather than do satellite

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jetz0r posted:

suburbs and strip malls, as far as the eye can see
the inland empire, everyone!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
futrure sound of london - ISDN

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

futrure sound of london - ISDN
pro tune

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nintendo Kid posted:

its still viable

when you're out in hickington nowhere and you somehow have plenty of money so you can bundle a bunch of isdn lines together rather than do satellite

seems like throwing up a mast with a microwave dish on it would still be a better solution

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

seems like throwing up a mast with a microwave dish on it would still be a better solution

yeah and you're going to point that dish where exactly

if you're somewhere that ain't even got cable, there probably ain't going to be a decent fixed wireless provider.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah and you're going to point that dish where exactly

:forkbomb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

universal service for broadband internet now.

• Locked thread