Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The hosed up part about all this is the dude would just actually contact us and we were able to verify all were kosher/there was a responsible caregiver for her, we'd leave her there but he doesn't want to seem to play ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Did you just call the local precinct or did you actually talk with someone from the appropriate unit?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
She's dead bro. Season 3 of true detective will be about the secret occult history of child protective services.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Smiling Jack posted:

Did you just call the local precinct or did you actually talk with someone from the appropriate unit?

first the local precinct who directed me to the appropriate unit and from there a detective in charge of matters like this

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rad Lieutenant posted:

She's dead bro. Season 3 of true detective will be about the secret occult history of child protective services.

hey man don't knock it I've had to engage in some pretty vile acts to appease governor voldemort and gain his favor

he finally gave us a crumb of the millions upon millions he's slashed from the DCF budget back (after our infant death rate rose like 300% for children under protective investigation/supervision, who knew a bunch of dead babies is bad publicity)

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I'm just a small town cop but if I got a request to go pick up some juvenile without any appropriate court order or warrant fully extraditable from my state I'd tell you to go do that first. That sounds like a quick way to get my rear end in a trick bag over someone else's problem... we can't just go around seizing people?

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cop gay. So What posted:

I'm just a small town cop but if I got a request to go pick up some juvenile without any appropriate court order or warrant fully extraditable from my state I'd tell you to go do that first. That sounds like a quick way to get my rear end in a trick bag over someone else's problem... we can't just go around seizing people?

Lol apparently you can and do

E: I think that came across as kinda rude so just FYI I didn't mean it that way man I'm just relaying how we've done this kinda stuff over many different cities and different states... Rarely am I asked for a court order or whatnot as proof. I fully realize how yeah some prankster with the right know how could completely gently caress over some cop and kids day lol

T.S. Smelliot fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 13, 2015

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah I would definitely go the court order route.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Yeah I would definitely go the court order route.

Cover your fuckin' rear end dude, that's what they're doing.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Yeah, no way in hell we're detaining someone on a phone call.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Smiling Jack posted:

Yeah, no way in hell we're detaining someone on a phone call.

NY POST HEADLINE: NYPD jails innocent Florida Girl on Trumped Up Charges from Podunk Department

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Lol fwiw I get the impression the actual executing officers are acting on supervisor orders

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Also the Jac isn't exactly jail, at least here

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

Also the Jac isn't exactly jail, at least here

Wtf is a jac

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Juvenile assessment center

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I find that hard to believe coming from Florida.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

Lol fwiw I get the impression the actual executing officers are acting on supervisor orders

I mean, they're probably acting under their policy. All they have to go on is your phone call, you know?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
Yes hello officer I am officer dick buttes from the florida police department please detain and hold this young, supple girl and i'll be there shortly to pick her up. NO I don't have a warrant!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Branis posted:

Yes hello officer I am officer dick buttes from the florida police department please detain and hold this young, supple girl and i'll be there shortly to pick her up. NO I don't have a warrant!

This is the new "swatting," spread the news at union halls nation wide.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I really want to poo poo post more about this because it's just so absurd.

"Why won't the NYPD pick up and detain this juvenile based on our simple polite request? A court order? Why would I have to do that, this is Florida LOL. Everyone else we've talked to has done this."

It's like when I cite someone for tinted windows. "Well I've been driving like this for years and no other cop has ever had a problem with it, officer."

I'm sure there are good intentions here forums poster Angry Birds, and seriously props to anyone who works with at risk youths because gently caress dealing with juveniles. I've just never heard of anything like what you're describing.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 13, 2015

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cop gay. So What posted:

I really want to poo poo post more about this because it's just so absurd.

"Why won't the NYPD pick up and detain this juvenile based on our simple polite request? A court order? Why would I have to do that, this is Florida LOL. Everyone else we've talked to has done this."

It's like when I cite someone for tinted windows. "Well I've been driving like this for years and no other cop has ever had a problem with it, officer."

I'm sure there are good intentions here forums poster Angry Birds, and seriously props to anyone who works with at risk youths because gently caress dealing with juveniles. I've just never heard of anything like what you're describing.

WHY AM I AGREEING WITH YOU SHEP :psyduck:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Phuzzy posted:

WHY AM I AGREEING WITH YOU SHEP :psyduck:

:feelsgood:

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
Even my quasi-department staffing only the finest rejects a $10/hr starting wage could get required an outside agency to fax a shitload of paperwork to our dispatch office before we even moved on anything, let alone taking someone into custody.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Look what my state did:

http://abc7chicago.com/politics/police-body-camera-guidelines-signed-into-illinois-law/924761/

Buried in this bill that purports itself as a standard for body cameras?

quote:

Requires departments to collect data on people who police "stop and frisk" and give those people a detailed receipt explaining why the encounter happened.

And here's the actual wording of the law:

quote:

Upon completion of any stop under subsection (a)
involving a frisk or search, and unless impractical,
impossible, or under exigent circumstances, the officer shall
provide the person with a stop receipt which provides the
reason for the stop and contains the officer's name and badge
number.

Upon issuing the person a receipt, we must complete a separate "traffic and pedestrian stop statistical data study card"

quote:

Whenever a law enforcement officer subjects a pedestrian to detention in a
public place, he or she shall complete a uniform pedestrian
stop card, which includes any existing form currently used by
law enforcement containing all the information required under
this Section, that records at least the following:
(1) the gender, and the officer's subjective
determination of the race of the person stopped; the
person's race shall be selected from the following list:
American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, Black or African
American, Hispanic or Latino, Native Hawaiian or Other
Pacific Islander, or White;
(2) all the alleged reasons that led to the stop of the
person;
(3) the date and time of the stop;
(4) the location of the stop;
(5) whether or not a protective pat down or frisk was
conducted of the person; and, if so, all the alleged
reasons that led to the protective pat down or frisk, and
whether it was with consent or by other means;
(6) whether or not contraband was found during the
protective pat down or frisk; and, if so, the type and
amount of contraband seized;
(7) whether or not a search beyond a protective pat
down or frisk was conducted of the person or his or her
effects; and, if so, all the alleged reasons that led to
the search, and whether it was with consent or by other
means;
(8) whether or not contraband was found during the
search beyond a protective pat down or frisk; and, if so,
the type and amount of contraband seized;
(9) the disposition of the stop, such as a warning, a
ticket, a summons, or an arrest;
(10) if a summons or ticket was issued, or an arrest
made, a record of the violations, offenses, or crimes
alleged or charged; and
(11) the name and badge number of the officer who
conducted the detention.

We already do this stuff for traffic stops, the legislature just extended it to pedestrian stops. However, normally, we've never done any paperwork on pedestrian stops unless the stop resulted in an arrest. Now, even without an arrest, just simply terry stopping someone results in having to fill out the statistical data card and issue a goddamn receipt to the person if a search or frisk was performed.

I think it's bullshit. They ruined a good law defining standards for body cameras by adding this crap.

Oh yeah, the "traffic stop statistical data study" was supposed to end but they'll keep extending it until they get the results they want (that police are racist and only stop black people). I'm sure this law, similarly, will never actually go away.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:qqsay:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Is there a checkbox for "Breathing while black" ??

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

I get paid the same whether I park behind a building all shift and do nothing or go out and actually try to arrest criminals so it doesn't bother me. If I have to write paper on all my street stops now, then I'll just stop doing street stops, or I'll just cite/arrest for all the bullshit I used to just give warnings on and walk away. Gotta write paper anyways, might as well get a stat for it. I can write an entire book of citations for "riding bicycle without headlight at night" every week.

It's a lovely law that's going to result in cops being less active and less likely to do street stops. One step closer to the fireman strategy that society likely wants us to adopt.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Is there a checkbox for "Breathing while black" ??

It's next to "lock/unlock park gate / restroom".

The Shep fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 13, 2015

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Cop gay. So What posted:

If I have to write paper on all my street stops now, then I'll just stop doing street stops

yea, but this is how the terrorists liberals win.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Rad Lieutenant posted:

yea, but this is how the terrorists liberals win.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Every time I stop someone I have to fill out a stupid little form and hand a copy to the oval office I've just searched. Then I have to do a report on it. How is that not standard practice in the US? Don't tell me the public actually trust you.

Becomes a pain in the dick when I search 25 people in a shift.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

I've never heard of that in the US unless someone wants to chime in it sounds like Illinois will be the first state to do this.

Watch Chicago's murder and shooting rate skyrocket even more than it already is.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Given your world view and politics you'll forgive me if I take anything that annoys you or makes you feel hassled as a net benefit for society.

Also lol at "A modicum of accountability? Time to stop doing my job!"

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 13, 2015

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
filling out a customer satisfation report for stopping a person is dumb though.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Branis posted:

filling out a customer satisfation report for stopping a person is dumb though.

im a freeman on the land and you are impeding my right to travel you loving pig!

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Cop gay. So What posted:

Look what my state did:

http://abc7chicago.com/politics/police-body-camera-guidelines-signed-into-illinois-law/924761/

Buried in this bill that purports itself as a standard for body cameras?
And here's the actual wording of the law:
Upon issuing the person a receipt, we must complete a separate "traffic and pedestrian stop statistical data study card"

Also, I always do my pat downs under exigent circumstances so gently caress your receipt. :smugdog:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Can't we all just get along

https://vimeo.com/108334260

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Given your world view and politics you'll forgive me if

Ffaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrttttttttt

"Oh no, a poster who has views outside the group think of an entire forum, better post about it"

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Untagged posted:

Cried at the end

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Untagged posted:

Feel like I really learned something itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
Problem? Having to do paperwork on terry stops.

Solution? Work for po dunk department, make one terry stop a week.

• Locked thread